Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
What brand of sniper is FOTM in raids these days? Marksmanship or Virulence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

whatspeakyou posted:

What brand of sniper is FOTM in raids these days? Marksmanship or Virulence?

Both are pretty good, but I still enjoy Virulence better. Marksman is brutal in PvP though (just make sure you know what buffs reflect damage when you're setting up that Ambush - I've killed Snipers by popping Evasion at just the right time to fling back Ambush and Followthrough at them :D )

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

They did a big purge of moves in the latest expansion. Many people complained that the game has massive ability bloat, so they went through and removed moves from classes that weren't meant to be used in that spec, Generally moves that were granted to the base class but were only meant to be used in one Advanced Class - Examples are Cover for Smugglers/Operatives, Rocket Punch/Stockstrike for Mercenaries/Commandos, Shiv/Blaster Whip for Snipers/Gunslingers, Flamethrower from Mercenaries/Commandos, etc.

So sadly this means that those of us that liked to do stylish finishes occasionally with a Rocket Uppercut or a Stab don't get to do that anymore.
The double irony is that they didn't even really simplify the main rotations any, which was the actual issue. I mean it's still a net positive to have eay less bar bloat, but sheesh. :downs:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Asimo posted:

The double irony is that they didn't even really simplify the main rotations any, which was the actual issue. I mean it's still a net positive to have eay less bar bloat, but sheesh. :downs:

Yep, rotations are still as basic and simple as they were at launch. They just removed stylish abilities because people want to play with a 4 button controller.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Medullah posted:

Both are pretty good, but I still enjoy Virulence better. Marksman is brutal in PvP though (just make sure you know what buffs reflect damage when you're setting up that Ambush - I've killed Snipers by popping Evasion at just the right time to fling back Ambush and Followthrough at them :D )

Has Marksmanship ever NOT been good?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

whatspeakyou posted:

Has Marksmanship ever NOT been good?

It generally falls behind in overall DPS if all 3 specs are played by people that know what they're doing. In 4.0 it took some major nerfs right up front which made it fall far behind Virulence. Bit better with 5.0.

Marksman has always been the "Simple" version of Sniper, though honestly I've always found Virulence far easier to play (but then again, I've used it for years).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just missing a "Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" animation!

(now checking to see if Scott Summers is taken as a name)

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Marksman probably has the easiest rotation in the game and its DPS is pretty resistant to mechanics that make you move around. It's actually a bit boring to play.

What is the Merc DPS build, still Arsenal?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Marksman probably has the easiest rotation in the game and its DPS is pretty resistant to mechanics that make you move around. It's actually a bit boring to play.

What is the Merc DPS build, still Arsenal?

Both Arsenal and IO are pretty good. I prefer IO just because I don't like the Tracer Missile/Unload/Repeat playstyle of Arsenal. Plus, you know, the tracer missile animation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe I'm just playing it wrong but I find MM sniper really annoying to play in fights with lots of movement. A good chunk of your rotation is either channeleds or cast time abilities. Plus having to get back in cover is a nuisance

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Maybe I'm just playing it wrong but I find MM sniper really annoying to play in fights with lots of movement. A good chunk of your rotation is either channeleds or cast time abilities. Plus having to get back in cover is a nuisance

Yeah, Marksman is a turret. Can pull off some great numbers when they have thte time to channel and pump lasers into a single target. That's why I prefer Virulence, much more mobile.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I guess you're right, I was thinking more in terms of being in/out of cover.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Is there anywhere that has a listing of what schematics drop from the Galactic Command crates other than just the lists the gear level? I was looking to make a checklist for myself to know when to start just disintegrating schematics. And when does the no spoilers rule drop from Guild Chat since I just got back from seeing Rogue One, but I don't want to go near Cinema Discusso to potentially talk about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Is there anywhere that has a listing of what schematics drop from the Galactic Command crates other than just the lists the gear level? I was looking to make a checklist for myself to know when to start just disintegrating schematics. And when does the no spoilers rule drop from Guild Chat since I just got back from seeing Rogue One, but I don't want to go near Cinema Discusso to potentially talk about it.

You're probably fine but might want to just say "Anyone care if I talk about Rogue One?". We do have a dedicated channel in Discord for it too, though.

I don't think there's a specific list of Galactic Command schematics, but there's not too many to worry about right now. I heard that some drop from Crates, others drop from raids. Really though there's not a big enough variety - I'd check when you get the following and disintegrate anything else -

Lethal Mod (Unlettered)
    Lethal Mod B (If you fancy making high endurance DPS mods to put in PvP tank armor)
    Warding Mod B (For tanks)
    Warding Mod (Unlettered for a high mitigation, low endurance tank build)
    Relic of Shield Amplification (there's no 228 version of this so the 230 is good)
    Relic of Serendipitous Assault
    Relic of Focused Retribution
    Relic of Reactive Warding
    Resistive Hilt/Armoring (for tanks)
    Versatile Hilt/Armoring (For DPS)
    Adept Implants/Earpieces (Crit build)
    Quick Savant Implant/Earpieces/Enhancement (Alacrity build)
    Inititative Implanet/Earpiece/Enhancement (Accuracy build)
    Immunity/Sturdiness Enhancements

And frankly, the 230 versions of all these aren't all that much better than the 228 versions for the giant mat increase. I'd honestly just disintegrate any schematic until you get to Tier 2. And even then I'm not 100% sure because I haven't seen the mats yet.

Edit - Except the relic of Shield Amplification, because there's no 228 version and it's superior to Fortunate Redoubt for tanks.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so I pulled a 230 blue resistive armoring out of a piece of gear but it said there was no schematic available when i moused over it while reverse engineering was active. What the heck.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Okay so I pulled a 230 blue resistive armoring out of a piece of gear but it said there was no schematic available when i moused over it while reverse engineering was active. What the heck.

Haven't ever been able to RE blue "endgame" mods. MIGHT be able to RE the purple ones, but not worth it.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

booo

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

Yeah, Marksman is a turret. Can pull off some great numbers when they have thte time to channel and pump lasers into a single target. That's why I prefer Virulence, much more mobile.

Plus with Virulence you can give yourself a rakghoul infection weapon tuning, lime green color crystal, infection/plague customizations for all your companions and RP a space zombie invasion :zombie:

ahy ess dee eph
Mar 10, 2007
Any major Goon presence on any particular server, or are we still spread out all over Hell?

Iradomini -- Jugg Tank (Harbinger)

Praesidia -- Knight Tank (also Harbinger)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ahy ess dee eph posted:

Any major Goon presence on any particular server, or are we still spread out all over Hell?

Jedi Covenant has the most but l wouldn't call it a major presence.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ahy ess dee eph posted:

Ever since the initial mergers, Goons have always been on Jedi Covenant. Mostly just casuals, very rarely we'll go through a surge where people want to do stuff but that's rarer and rarer these days.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Any plans on the horizon for these folks to let you play as any of the interesting alien species that aren't differently colored humans? Maybe some of those Nautolans or some bullshit? Or just more Andrew Lloyd Webber's face-painted cat people?

ContraceptiveCereal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 15, 2017

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It'll never happen but I'd pay a shitload of Cartel Coins to play an Ithorian Jedi.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
SWTOR needs more Nautolans in general. :cthulhu:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
We always go through this until eventually someone points out that we need playable Ortolans.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

We always go through this until eventually someone points out that we need playable Ortolans.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Why's he wearing clothes?

Naked Hutt Jedi is so much better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So hey, who would like to be an actual officer in the guild? Not just having the rank, but actually try to organize things like raids and crap like that? It really does seem like I'm the only one who's ever actually able to herd the cats to do something, and I'm just not playing frequently enough to be the only one to try and do that. Aleth did a great job of organizing the Christmas contest, even if only a few people did anything.

I created a new channel on Discord for you to post raid availability if you're interested - Please only post availability there, reserve general discussion for one of the other channels.

Ideally I'm looking for some people who play frequently and understand the mechanics of the game enough to actually organize some things. Let's make That's No Goon great again! Build a wall around Dromund Kaas!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Picking this back up after many many years, why is my agent giggling so much? :catstare:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Picking this back up after many many years, why is my agent giggling so much? :catstare:

Always been that way - every time you "proc" a Tactical Advantage you giggle. It was taken out briefly and the outrage was crazy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you're light side, it should be a clip of your character saying "I'm SO sorry"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

For the record, the Valentine's Contest has been one of the more challenging for me since it turns out with what options I've got, it's still not enough to really cut loose.

So, here we have a Chiss Agent reposing on Hoth in a sleek red gown.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
The glory days pre-1.2 hearing that laugh meant you were already dead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

The glory days pre-1.2 hearing that laugh meant you were already dead.

RIP Hidden Strike, Backstab, Vanish, Hidden Strike, Eviscerate, Laceration if they weren't already dead.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

I switched to Virulence from Marksman and the first fight after doing that was the jedi boss on Kuat. Aka The Most Annoying Boss Ever That Never Lets You Do Anything. Two members of the group dropped and we finished it with one tank and one healer companion.

I still like it, its fun seeing numbers cascade out of people with every cull.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey are the guys on the capital planets who sold orange sets of the cool looking armor for each class still around? Do they take credits now?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Yes as far as I know.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

So hey, who would like to be an actual officer in the guild? Not just having the rank, but actually try to organize things like raids and crap like that? It really does seem like I'm the only one who's ever actually able to herd the cats to do something, and I'm just not playing frequently enough to be the only one to try and do that. Aleth did a great job of organizing the Christmas contest, even if only a few people did anything.

I created a new channel on Discord for you to post raid availability if you're interested - Please only post availability there, reserve general discussion for one of the other channels.

Ideally I'm looking for some people who play frequently and understand the mechanics of the game enough to actually organize some things. Let's make That's No Goon great again! Build a wall around Dromund Kaas!

Contests I can do, raid herding less so as I am in Britland and thus abed when most of you want to go hunting for Fancy Hats.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Aleth posted:

Contests I can do, raid herding less so as I am in Britland and thus abed when most of you want to go hunting for Fancy Hats.

And my holiday break's over with classes starting up this week for me. Until I get a handle on how the workload is, I don't feel comfortable committing to anything beyond I'm still breathing and able to log on. Once I have some class syllabi and start plotting out my papers timetable, I'll see where things stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Hey are the guys on the capital planets who sold orange sets of the cool looking armor for each class still around? Do they take credits now?

Yes and yes.

• Locked thread