Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

So basically what you're saying is that Hot Fuzz was a documentary.

Hot Fuzz was so popular because it was such an excellent satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Outrail posted:

My impression of England was that over the years the empire had control of a staggering amount of the globe. And had to send it's best and brightest out to run this empire. Then they got married and had kids and realised they didn't want to live on a small damp island and stayed in the nicer, larger places they were sent to/went to.

Since Britain is a very small island the population experienced a large degree of brain/talent drain. This drain was hardest at the top of society, and since their society is fairly ridgid they continue to rule and be ruled by small minded, petty, useless chavs, inbred nobility, socially restrictives and boring people.

This is how brexit happened. Everyone who would like to be part of the outside world left to be part of the outside world.

The people who benefit from the EU and globalism in general forgot that the poor, the old, the sad, still get a vote. It wasn't really a vote against what the EU actually is, but rather a "do you wanna say gently caress you to the government and the rich".

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

Baron von Eevl posted:

In case the stories of Nauru weren't bad enough, their president is also basically a Captain America villain.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

doverhog posted:

the poor, the old, the sad

Hmm.

Seems to me like you're missing a couple key groups in this assessment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Axeman Jim posted:

Because the planning system in England is ruled by Daily Mail reading NIMBY Nazis like the Campaign to Protect Rural England who think that the peasantry shouldn't be blocking their views of fields with their jumped-up mud huts, and that's more important than the UK's appalling housing shortage and subsequent insane property prices (from which these people benefit, fygm) and sky-high levels of homelessness. Besides, if we build enough houses, brown-skinned people might live in them and that would be so frightful our monocles might fall out.

Sounds a lot like California.txt

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Outrail posted:

My impression of England was that over the years the empire had control of a staggering amount of the globe. And had to send it's best and brightest out to run this empire. Then they got married and had kids and realised they didn't want to live on a small damp island and stayed in the nicer, larger places they were sent to/went to.

Since Britain is a very small island the population experienced a large degree of brain/talent drain. This drain was hardest at the top of society, and since their society is fairly ridgid they continue to rule and be ruled by small minded, petty, useless chavs, inbred nobility, socially restrictives and boring people.

This is how brexit happened. Everyone who would like to be part of the outside world left to be part of the outside world.

Boy do you have an overinflated view of the empire. It did not get the best and brightest, it got bastard sons, aristocratic by-blows and other people who wanted to feel important by "ruling" none white people whilst maintaining a level of casual corruption that would make a Trump presidency look like it was run by Jesus Christ.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Somfin posted:

Hmm.

Seems to me like you're missing a couple key groups in this assessment.

That's because it's not intended to be a literal list of the groups, but rather a rhetorical device. :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Axeman Jim posted:

Because the planning system in England is ruled by Daily Mail reading NIMBY Nazis like the Campaign to Protect Rural England who think that the peasantry shouldn't be blocking their views of fields with their jumped-up mud huts, and that's more important than the UK's appalling housing shortage and subsequent insane property prices (from which these people benefit, fygm) and sky-high levels of homelessness. Besides, if we build enough houses, brown-skinned people might live in them and that would be so frightful our monocles might fall out.

If you let this one guy build a house however he wants and without planning permission, some other guy is going to look at that and do the same. Why bother applying for planning permission if they'll let you build whatever if you just whine hard enough.

Sucks for the guy and it looks like a neat house, but building regs are a thing for a reason.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im on the side that the house is gaudy and ugly. It belongs on that one tumblr that shows the ugly mcmansions

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If you let this one guy build a house however he wants and without planning permission, some other guy is going to look at that and do the same. Why bother applying for planning permission if they'll let you build whatever if you just whine hard enough.

Sucks for the guy and it looks like a neat house, but building regs are a thing for a reason.

Sorry it blocked your view.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Uncultured American swine weighing in: the house was ugly as gently caress and it's cool and good that they made him tear it down.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All the money he spent on that, he could've just moved to a less lovely neighborhood.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Motherfucker built a castle in secret. He deserved to keep it.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0MBaTEZ_Y

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

hanales posted:

This is a weird story. Can someone explain what the actual problem is with the house? It looks like he made the whole area a bit nicer. I also find it hard to believe he had no permission, how would he get water and electric to the place?

Imagine 1/5 th of the population of the US living in a country 1/2 the landmass of california.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHcJfol9nU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/K6MR8Jf.gifv

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Outrail posted:

Nice to see that bizarre neo-colonialist racism aimed at whitey for once.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Novum posted:

Motherfucker built a castle in secret. He deserved to keep it.

He was going to defend the castle using the crenelations on the roof but they caught him because the only way up was a ladder from outside.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Thank God that modern building codes require slow-collapse roofs.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moon Slayer posted:

The schadenfreude was on me for believing and loudly insisting up until the very end that normal rules and historical precedent applied to the 2016 election.

They did, idiot

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
In today's edition of "What the gently caress did you think was gonna happen?" We find a kid who showers with fireworks:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Josef bugman posted:

Boy do you have an overinflated view of the empire. It did not get the best and brightest, it got bastard sons, aristocratic by-blows and other people who wanted to feel important by "ruling" none white people whilst maintaining a level of casual corruption that would make a Trump presidency look like it was run by Jesus Christ.

My view is probably wrong. I just don't like England.

So did they ever have anything but chavs and inbred bluebloods?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

your friend a dog posted:

They did, idiot

I think media gaffes were somewhat of a thing during previous elections. Lots of Howard Dean schadenfreude was revisited in 2016.

I think previous US elections might also have had less hacking, maybe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Outrail posted:

Well yes, young people from disadvantaged backgrounds also often went to empire, pretended to be higher up the totem pole and got jobs in the lower levels of colonial administration whilst engaging in light corruption.

Unfortunately a lot of people in the countryside are the kind of bourgoise that even the Francoists would turn there noses up at. The sort of whingeing toddlers who are stuck in a post imperial malaise of "our greatest times have passed" whilst not realising that we got a health service out of it and are now bumbling around doing what they have always done, blame everyone else and act entitled.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Zipperelli. posted:

In today's edition of "What the gently caress did you think was gonna happen?" We find a kid who showers with fireworks:

He thought he would get internet fame, and it seems like that's working out pretty well

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mierenneuker posted:

I think media gaffes were somewhat of a thing during previous elections. Lots of Howard Dean schadenfreude was revisited in 2016.

I think previous US elections might also have had less hacking, maybe.

while hacking is unfortunate, theres some bizarre point of view how it's not fair that the leaks turned people away from the democratic party, as if voters should be forced to ignore blatant corruption simply because it came from a biased source

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

The schadenfreude was on me for believing and loudly insisting up until the very end that normal rules and historical precedent applied to the 2016 election.

They did in the sense that if one person actually campaigns in swing states and the other ignores the poo poo out of them and throws more celebrity galas and spends all the money on ads in their absolute safest regions, the first person will probably win.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

your friend a dog posted:

while hacking is unfortunate, theres some bizarre point of view how it's not fair that the leaks turned people away from the democratic party, as if voters should be forced to ignore blatant corruption simply because it came from a biased source

Your friend a dog, in the Nixon era: We should probably just let the whole watergate thing slide after all who cares how or where the information comes form.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jmcrofts posted:

He thought he would get internet fame, and it seems like that's working out pretty well

Yeah good old that guy. I wish I had his autograph

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I think his clever idea was to snatch the purse then jump across the train to mask his escape. Timing was a bit off though...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Takes No Damage posted:

I think his clever idea was to snatch the purse then jump across the train to mask his escape. Timing was a bit off though...

That's the transmilenio bus service in Bogota. Bunch of busses that get their own lanes and act like trains.

Still gently caress you up though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skarsnik posted:

It is a bloody awful looking thing to be fair

That’s no way to talk about a foreign head of state.

Jippa posted:

Imagine 1/5 th of the population of the US living in a country 1/2 the landmass of california.

So… BosWash.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

So… BosWash.

The Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

this girl is hardcore and a reminder that I still have much to learn about self-defense

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Outrail posted:

I don't like it either. It's why I left.

However, re. brexit. I'd like to know how the USA is any better seeing as now I'm stuck in a country that voted in Trump, which I don't see as any different of an outcome. Both results were due to xenophobia.

Nothing could make me return to the UK but this is just swapping poo poo for more poo poo really.

People suck everywhere.

For schadenfraude: consider this. A UK/US couple decide where they will live based on the outcomes of two elections. Once brings in the first black president, the second brings back a party that hosed everything over for everyone in the 80s - largely thanks to promises to make immigration harder.

Those promises mean we can't ever go back unless I personally get a UK job with a $35K salary then work at it for 6 months before even bringing my husband in. Which is literally impossible for me, a lifelong freelancer and small business owner. I knew this before leaving, and the changes to immigration rules would have hosed me over anyway if I stayed. However - I trusted the USA and Christ knows why.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum Cat posted:

Your friend a dog, in the Nixon era: We should probably just let the whole watergate thing slide after all who cares how or where the information comes form.

I'm not sure you read what I wrote, but it'd be more like a hypothetical 'We should let this Watergate thing slide, it came from the Cubans'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Retro Access posted:

I don't like it either. It's why I left.

However, re. brexit. I'd like to know how the USA is any better seeing as now I'm stuck in a country that voted in Trump, which I don't see as any different of an outcome. Both results were due to xenophobia.

Nothing could make me return to the UK but this is just swapping poo poo for more poo poo really.

People suck everywhere.

For schadenfraude: consider this. A UK/US couple decide where they will live based on the outcomes of two elections. Once brings in the first black president, the second brings back a party that hosed everything over for everyone in the 80s - largely thanks to promises to make immigration harder.

Those promises mean we can't ever go back unless I personally get a UK job with a $35K salary then work at it for 6 months before even bringing my husband in. Which is literally impossible for me, a lifelong freelancer and small business owner. I knew this before leaving, and the changes to immigration rules would have hosed me over anyway if I stayed. However - I trusted the USA and Christ knows why.

Our aristocrats don't call themselves "lords" and we don't have a loving monarch. :patriot: