Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Clint Eastwood stars in What if Old and Racist But Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The worst thing about Grand Torino are the scenes with his family. They are badly written and unbelievable. The scene with his IRL son is also pretty dreadful, grade school tier acting.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Clint Eastwood stars in What if Old and Racist But Good.

Clint Eastwood stars in: What if I Have Human Compassion and it Exceeds My Racism Levels and the Outcome is Good

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah like wasn't the whole point of the movie that he learned to overcome prejudice even if he was still rough around the edges?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Yeah like wasn't the whole point of the movie that he learned to overcome prejudice even if he was still rough around the edges?

No. The point is that he isn't even racist to start with, since he greets literally everyone in the movie with a racial slur, including his good friend, the barber, who he calls a polack 27 times in their one scene together. It's just everyone else making assumptions that he is racist because he uses racial slurs constantly.

Again, it's a rich old man getting angry at political correctness for two hours.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I will credit him for not blaming the woman for getting raped. I think we're supposed to think his sons are reasonable for not wanting anything to do with him after being treated like poo poo and called fags for 50 years. That part seemed aware that Clint's character had done serious things that he needed to answer for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So a commercial for the new XXX movie just spoiled that Ice Cube has a cameo. I'm sure the people who actually made the movie are super happy about that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
the best part about the new triple x movie is Sam Jackson saying something like "They're the new, hot team" while the male leads are overwhelmingly in their 40s and 50s.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gran Torino suffers a lot from Clint's predisposition to shoot as few takes as possible, because what he runs with in that movie is really rough when he is relying so much on amateur actors.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vegetable posted:

Eastwood's latest good movie is Sully, drat it. It has Tom Hanks knocking it out of the park in a role where he doesn't get to shout and cry. Made me cry like a baby.

It's a good movie dragged down by it pretending there was a huge conflict that didn't happen. I know movies based on a true story aren't going to be 100% accurate but with Sully it was blatantly obvious they were exaggerating and creating villains because they feared the facts alone weren't entertaining enough.

My issues with Sully are somewhat similar with those of Deepwater Horizon. Both are fantastic at depicting the disaster scenario and it's immediate aftermath, but both are also bogged down with the scenes that are deemed to be necessary to make it an "actual" movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

syscall girl posted:

Clint Eastwood stars in: What if I Have Human Compassion and it Exceeds My Racism Levels and the Outcome is Good

Clint Eastwood in: The Wrestler, But With Racism Instead of Wrestling.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Clint Eastwood in: The Wrestler, But With Racism Instead of Wrestling.

Not saying he has it all together, just that Torino was good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

It's a good movie dragged down by it pretending there was a huge conflict that didn't happen. I know movies based on a true story aren't going to be 100% accurate but with Sully it was blatantly obvious they were exaggerating and creating villains because they feared the facts alone weren't entertaining enough.

My issues with Sully are somewhat similar with those of Deepwater Horizon. Both are fantastic at depicting the disaster scenario and it's immediate aftermath, but both are also bogged down with the scenes that are deemed to be necessary to make it an "actual" movie.
I knew there was some exaggeration going on but I only learned about the outright fabrication of events afterwards.

Doesn't really bother me, though. I treat it the same way I treated Steve Jobs -- as a fictional drama loosely based on real life. Unless I'm somehow personally invested in the original events, I don't see why we shouldn't give such films the same creative liberty we give fictional works.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hiddenmovement posted:

The worst thing about Grand Torino are the scenes with his family. They are badly written and unbelievable. The scene with his IRL son is also pretty dreadful, grade school tier acting.
His son is an awful actor who only gets jobs thanks to his dad as far as I can tell

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I enjoyed Gran Torino, but definitely can recognize all the faults and problems with the movie. I think it reached me more because my late father was a lot like the character Eastwood played when he was alive.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MItMDkc343M

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Flight was a better Sully movie.

bartok
May 10, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

I know it wasn't intentional but that movie makes cocaine look like a miracle drug.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, Gran Torino, in which a rich old white man explains to two poor young minorities why political correctness is bad.

I don't disagree about American Sniper, but I think you misread Gran Torino a bit. The whole point is that Clint Eastwood's views cannot survive in the modern era, and the best thing he can do is make way for minorities in a way that helps them up.

It's shockingly not awful for something coming from Clint "yelling at empty chair" Eastwood.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I hate they raped that girl, when I saw the scene I thought they just shot up stuff and scared her but then Clint Eastwood's character later said You raped your cousin or something like that. Real lame to add that just to make the punks more monsterier

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Clint Eastwood is basically just a more polished Frank Miller at this point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What was the last great Spike Lee movie? Chi-raq was beautiful, bombastic nonsense but I'd hesitate to call it great.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

precision posted:

What was the last great Spike Lee movie? Chi-raq was beautiful, bombastic nonsense but I'd hesitate to call it great.

Inside Man from 2006? I'm not that familiar wih his work after that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

And we have a shot across the bow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

K. Waste posted:

Stealing this for any time anyone I know tries to tell me Gran Torino is good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't disagree about American Sniper, but I think you misread Gran Torino a bit. The whole point is that Clint Eastwood's views cannot survive in the modern era, and the best thing he can do is make way for minorities in a way that helps them up.

It's shockingly not awful for something coming from Clint "yelling at empty chair" Eastwood.

Except he did that earlier in Heartbreak Ridge with his Gunny character being too old-fashioned in the modern Marines and molding and making way for Mario Van Peeples to be the new Marine Corps compared to Everett McGill.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's not any good. Mark Wahlberg is the least believable serious cop possible. And even the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score is a real disappointment compared to their previous film scores.
Since someone mentioned this and brought up The Departed on the same page I feel like I need to mention that his character in that movie was similarly the least believable serious cop in an otherwise pretty solidly okay film. It's like they wrote themselves into a corner and realized they had reached the end of the movie and, aside from losing Madolyn, nothing horrible had happened to Colin Sullivan so they went back and wrote in a completely useless rear end in a top hat cop caricature into a few scenes (where he doesn't, y'know, do anything actually related to the story or cause anything to happen) and then had him available to shoot Sullivan at the ending.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

Since someone mentioned this and brought up The Departed on the same page I feel like I need to mention that his character in that movie was similarly the least believable serious cop in an otherwise pretty solidly okay film. It's like they wrote themselves into a corner and realized they had reached the end of the movie and, aside from losing Madolyn, nothing horrible had happened to Colin Sullivan so they went back and wrote in a completely useless rear end in a top hat cop caricature into a few scenes (where he doesn't, y'know, do anything actually related to the story or cause anything to happen) and then had him available to shoot Sullivan at the ending.
The same thing happens in the movie it is a remake of.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I was under the impression that the bad cop doesn't die until Infernal Affairs 3 (with 2 being a prequel).

Edit:

quote:

In mainland China, an alternate ending for the film was created, in which Lau exits the elevator and is informed by Cheung that the police have found evidence that he was a mole. Lau hands them his badge and is arrested without protest. The sequel, Infernal Affairs III, uses the original ending instead of the alternate one.
lol

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 16, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Casimir Radon posted:

The same thing happens in the movie it is a remake of.

One of us definitely needs to re-watch Infernal Affairs,because I'm pretty god damned it doesn't and the ending is the Matt Damon character gets away Scott free with a vague idea he'll be an honest cop from now on.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

One of us definitely needs to re-watch Infernal Affairs,because I'm pretty god damned it doesn't and the ending is the Matt Damon character gets away Scott free with a vague idea he'll be an honest cop from now on.
It's been a few year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

E: nm

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

I remember that movie losing me so bad when the pilot's drug dealer showed up in the hospital. It felt like they didn't have enough faith in a serious drama about a black man, so here's a wacky white dude to dominate the scene.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Was Sully actually good? I refused to see it when the trailers made it look like there was any kind of controversy about what happened. The real Sully was widely and immediately praised as a hero and any backlash at all was extremely minimal. I just don't know how or why you'd want to make that into a movie except as a way to counteract all the people who conflated the actual events of Sully with the fictional events of Flight.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mierenneuker posted:

ChickenMedium posted:

Was Sully actually good? I refused to see it when the trailers made it look like there was any kind of controversy about what happened. The real Sully was widely and immediately praised as a hero and any backlash at all was extremely minimal. I just don't know how or why you'd want to make that into a movie except as a way to counteract all the people who conflated the actual events of Sully with the fictional events of Flight.

I'm annoyed that people now hate and blame the real aviation security/investigation agencies for giving Sully such a hard time - when in reality they didn't. They did their loving job of investigating a controlled landing. The movie made people less trusting in the institutions made to protect them, because they made up that conflict for the movie.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 16, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

NorgLyle posted:

Mark Wahlberg isn't supposed to be a serious cop. He's part of the comic relief in the film along with David O'Hara and Alec Baldwin (who's loving hilarious in it). Wahlberg even gets the last punchline.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Decius posted:

I'm annoyed that people now hate and blame the real aviation security/investigation agencies for giving Sully such a hard time - when in reality they didn't. They did their loving job of investigating a controlled landing. The movie made people less trusting in the institutions made to protect them, because they made up that conflict for the movie.

Huh Clint Eastwood made a movie where a government agency was demonized inaccurately? I personally am shocked

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I tend to think Mark Wahlberg is a a younger William H. Macy who doesn't know he's William H. Macy. He's the least believable serious x in any role, and should do nothing but dark comedies and Coen Brothers movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Simplex posted:

I tend to think Mark Wahlberg is a a younger William H. Macy who doesn't know he's William H. Macy.

This makes Boogie Nights one hell of a weird time travel movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I remember that movie losing me so bad when the pilot's drug dealer showed up in the hospital. It felt like they didn't have enough faith in a serious drama about a black man, so here's a wacky white dude to dominate the scene.
Flight has some weird tonal issues. It's also kind of disjointed at times. The love interest or whatever only shows up for part of the film to preach about AA and then goes away. Then there's John Goodman as comic relief which, while good, doesn't seem to fit the tone that well. It's an alright movie but it's kinda strange.

• Locked thread