Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
See La La Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mercury Hat posted:

I saw it because my mom wanted to and it wasn't a bad way to spend 2 hours. The only real negative part, to me, was the main koala character was such a dud. It's almost like he started off as an actual conman like the lead in The Music Man but got softened in rewrites so he's just sort of incompetent? Pretty much everything good he gets in the movie comes from other characters giving it to him, versus most of the other characters that sacrifice something or at least confront an issue to succeed.

Are we spoilering plot ponts? Dead dad buys him a theater that he runs into the ground, barely managing to stay afloat thanks to money given to him by his boyfriend's rich parents, completely wrecks the theater, other characters save his rear end with a free concert that's freely televised, then an even richer parent buys the theater back for him.

I'm glad I wasn't supposed to like Seth Macfarlane's character, though, I was worried when I heard he was in it. His crooner shtick can get old real fast.

Also I thought everyone liked Reese Witherspoon's pig mom, not the porcupine :v:.

Unrelated, I watched a bunch of Prince of Egypt clips again last night and drat what I'd give to be in the timeline where Dreamworks kept producing serious animated films like that :sigh:.

You bring up a lot of fair points, but honestly I felt like Buster Moon (the Koala) stole the show. He's fun, he's dynamic, and he's an unrepentant but endearingly oblivious rear end in a top hat. It's his sheer determination and doggedness that pushes the plot forward, too, even if most of what he does ultimately backfires, and taking his character arc to end at the car wash fits a lot better thematically than the actual ending.

Sing is as much about Mina as Buster, I think, and her arc feels complete and well-earned.

If any character is a dud, I'd say it's either Gunther who gets absolutely no character development or backstory whatsoever and exists only as a mechanism to drive Rosita's arc or Mike who had so much potential as another con-artist esque rear end in a top hat, but who stayed flat for the whole run. That he only shows up at the end out of spite is perfect, though :allears:

...I really enjoyed Sing, you guys :shobon: My biggest complaint is that it's really six separate stories taking place at the same time, with very little interaction between the protagonists of each 'story' save for one forced scene where they try to cheer up Buster for reasons. It would have benefited from a lot more focus or interconnected-ness.

Das Boo posted:

I finally got to see Moana last night and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the characters, the scenery, the music and this is one of the very few instances where I didn't hate the sidekick. (I was very surprised the pig wasn't in the majority of the movie as it seemed like the sort of design made to be adorable and sell merch. But Heihei is Gobbles from South Park, so that's fine n' dandy with me. It came across as a little hectic, but that didn't bother me as much as the absolute emptiness that was Frozen.

The fact that the film that takes place in the middle of the ocean for 70% of its run feels less empty than Frozen says something, for sure.

Definitely glad about Pua being a fake-out sidekick. Heihei fit a lot better, tonally.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Das Boo posted:

I finally got to see Moana last night and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the characters, the scenery, the music and this is one of the very few instances where I didn't hate the sidekick. (I was very surprised the pig wasn't in the majority of the movie as it seemed like the sort of design made to be adorable and sell merch. But Heihei is Gobbles from South Park, so that's fine n' dandy with me. It came across as a little hectic, but that didn't bother me as much as the absolute emptiness that was Frozen. It didn't seem quite so transparently calculated to push out and market. The world felt full and meticulously crafted with a lot of the unnecessary details that give a lived-in feel. And drat, have they nailed hair. Lovely, lovely hair. Definitely looking forward to owning it so I can pour over the minutiae.

I also realized that this is probably going to be the only film I see in theaters this year. Maybe Coco, depending? This is such a goddamn empty year.

Try and catch Your Name or A Silent Voice if they appear in theatres near you. I really think they are worth your while.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbvi_fHBG0

Between this and the Lego Frozen movies, I feel like Disney is sliding back into it's DTV ways. Or maybe they never stopped and I just didn't notice?

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Between this and the Lego Frozen movies, I feel like Disney is sliding back into it's DTV ways. Or maybe they never stopped and I just didn't notice?

The very phrase "Lego Frozen" screams "dire", and that's coming from someone who likes Frozen (though admittedly was turned off of the Lego movie by the trailer). However, the Tangled series looks genuinely cute and charming and I'd watch a couple episodes out of curiosity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My biggest problem wit D2V was always the lovely TV-quality animation. Computer animation seems to really bring it up a level. Like I actually thought that trailer looked pretty good for a TV movie thing.

Granted it looks like every stylized 2D kids show these days, but that doesn't actually bother me that much. I actually really like that look, god help me.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LoseHound posted:

The very phrase "Lego Frozen" screams "dire", and that's coming from someone who likes Frozen (though admittedly was turned off of the Lego movie by the trailer). However, the Tangled series looks genuinely cute and charming and I'd watch a couple episodes out of curiosity.

"Lego Frozen" screams dire to me, too, but I'm mentally screaming at someone who likes Frozen and was turned off of the Lego Movie by the trailer. Get better taste, please!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I can't wait for An Extremely Zootopia Movie

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How many episodes of Mob Psycho 100 follow Ritsu? Because I'm getting real bored here.

Ok, other characters are showing up. I'm on ep 8. His brother sucks.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 15, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Unmature posted:

I don't need even more complicated feelings after the Beat Poet goof lady

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Usually with bad television animation, there aren't enough frames of animation. Things are very jerky and unnatural. This feels like it's gone too far in the opposite direction-- everything's too smooth and fluid.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The animation itself is nothing to write home about, but the overall storybook-illustration style is kind of appealing.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Unmature posted:

How many episodes of Mob Psycho 100 follow Ritsu? Because I'm getting real bored here.

Ok, other characters are showing up. I'm on ep 8. His brother sucks.

That plot line is about to resolve in a good way, and Ritsu then gets some good character development out of it. Also, Yutaka Nakamura kills it with the animation.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

Hopps & Wilde would be a good one because it sounds like a cop movie.

Either that or Zootopia Confidential.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Hopps & Wilde would be a good one because it sounds like a cop movie.

Either that or Zootopia Confidential.

Mooseholland Drive

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Clawhauser has to sniff out a Chinatown conspiracy when, mysteriously, all the donuts in Zootopia disappear.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't really mind extraneous stuff like this, even the DTV films, which largely suck. Some people are like, oh no, it's canon now!! And I'm like, 1) I don't care and 2) I sort of don't think they are, since they're a completely different team. Like, even when it comes to the DTV films I like, such as Cinderella III, if you ask me, "in the canon of Disney's Cinderella, did the Fairy Godmother actually never help her, and she had to beat her way out of a pumpkin and ride a hellhorse through the purple night?" I would say no, she goes to a ball as a reward for being a good person and the price picks up on her quality and kindness, but that other thing did happen in the DTV.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That Tangled toon looks amazing, honestly. Especially Maximus! I can never get me enough of sassy Disney horses :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If we got a Zootopia toon in that style I'd be down with it. The iOS detective game is really nice looking. The movie translates into 2D amazingly well.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I've notice something odd with early Pixar: A staggered blink. One lid follows the other halfway through the motion. Noticed it in Toy Story and A Bug's Life. This a processing power thing?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Martytoof posted:

If we got a Zootopia toon in that style I'd be down with it. The iOS detective game is really nice looking. The movie translates into 2D amazingly well.
I imagine it's easier to transition from 3D to 2D than the other way around!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Das Boo posted:

So I've notice something odd with early Pixar: A staggered blink. One lid follows the other halfway through the motion. Noticed it in Toy Story and A Bug's Life. This a processing power thing?

I hope you know you just ushered in the new FedEx arrow.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope you know you just ushered in the new FedEx arrow.

IT'S WEIRD, RIGHT?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

It was just a thing they did to make things look a little off and lively. I remember them talking about it a lot back on early DVD features and stuff. Like when a Muppet isn't talking but it's moving a little. Makes it look less robotic.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Das Boo posted:

It's extremely creepy, that's something I've never liked with Pixar along with the horrible way they render skin. Like squishy smooth pink sacs of.. liquid.. eugh

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I've been looking for a good podcast and/or Instagram account related to Looney Tunes - tributes and discussions on all the classic shorts. I assumed being as popular as it is, it wouldn't be so difficult - but I haven't been able to find anything.

There's tons of film podcasts, and even animation podcasts, but nothing specifically to Looney Tunes.
Can anyone help out?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

friendo55 posted:

I've been looking for a good podcast and/or Instagram account related to Looney Tunes - tributes and discussions on all the classic shorts. I assumed being as popular as it is, it wouldn't be so difficult - but I haven't been able to find anything.

There's tons of film podcasts, and evenat animation podcasts, but nothing specifically to Looney Tunes.
Can anyone help out?

Wouldn't Tumblr be better than Instagram for that sort of thing?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unmature posted:

It was just a thing they did to make things look a little off and lively. I remember them talking about it a lot back on early DVD features and stuff. Like when a Muppet isn't talking but it's moving a little. Makes it look less robotic.

So it was intentional? Weird, it looks off to me. I know in CG animation they'll sometimes recommend a slight stagger (say 1 frame) on lids to, like you said, keep it from looking robotic, but I think they might have overdone it early on as there are a few scenes wherein a rapid blink just loses all communication. I was going to go look for a clip where Woody's reacting to something in TS1 and it looks like he's having a seizure, only to find out this is a well-documented thing aptly named the Pixar Blink. By the time TS2 rolls around it's present, but less prominent. I need to go through the old catalogue to find the point where it stops being a distraction to me. Distraction in the way the Wilhelm scream is, I mean. "Oh, there it was."

Build-a-Boar posted:

It's extremely creepy, that's something I've never liked with Pixar along with the horrible way they render skin. Like squishy smooth pink sacs of.. liquid.. eugh

Every time I think about skin rendering, I think about how animators avoid giving women wrinkles because robot dolls are preferable to a human lady. Then I get sad.
Then I think of Darla Dimple's expressions and I'm okay again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh nooooo, the local drafthouse is showing Kaguya in February, but it's on a Wednesday and Thursday at 2, so I'd be at wooooooork.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mierenneuker posted:

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

Any idea what the song is? I know Jóhann Jóhannsson is the composer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh nooooo, the local drafthouse is showing Kaguya in February, but it's on a Wednesday and Thursday at 2, so I'd be at wooooooork.

No you won't, you are sick

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

No you won't, you are sick

And you are a very responsible employee for choosing not to infect your co-workers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Schwarzwald posted:

Any idea what the song is? I know Jóhann Jóhannsson is the composer.

"Flight From The City".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mierenneuker posted:

"Flight From The City".

Thank you!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll have had my new job for less than two weeks at that point, I don't wanna take a day off right off the bat, especially since I don't have paid sick or vacation.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Guess what's made its way back onto youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhsOiyvfIWs

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Guess what's made its way back onto youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhsOiyvfIWs

This isn't Micky's Christmas Carol :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll have had my new job for less than two weeks at that point, I don't wanna take a day off right off the bat, especially since I don't have paid sick or vacation.

I can't believe it's legal for a company to flat-out not offer any paid sick leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Just watched 4 animated movies in a row, that kinda day. Needed some background noise so I picked 4 things this thread either hated or was meh on because I figured I wouldn't too distracted while I was working. Partly out of curiosity, too.

Angry Birds
Ratchet & Clank
Good Dinosaur
Storks

Angry Birds honestly wasn't that bad outside the xenophobic message. Take away that awful part and it's mostly bland at worst. Some of the gags got a chuckle out of me. Maybe I just went in with such low expectations but I didn't hate it as much as I expected. C-

Ratchet & Clank was abysmal. It was painful. This was what I thought watching Angry Birds was going to be like. Every joke was forced and flat, the characters sucked but the worst part was the script just needed a few more passes because I think a passable animated flick that kids would like was honestly in there had they made some different choices. Everyone was annoying and some of the animation was really bad for a theater release. Also the villains gets stunningly violent deaths that legit surprised me. F

Maybe it was because I just watched two bad films in a row so watching a movie that understands basic animation moviemaking was refreshing but I actually liked Good Dinosaur a lot. It wasn't great or anything, but it worked for me and it was pretty to look at. I thought the weird dichotomy between the cartoony dinos and the realistic landscapes would bother me like the trailer did, but watching it I wasn't bothered by it at all. Also the quick gag with the Pterodactyls Just straight up eating the cute little raccoon was loving amazing and I had to pause the film because it caught me completely off guard. B

Storks deserved better than it got because I haven't laughed that hard and just enjoyed a cartoon movie like that since Cloudy. I like animated films that are more on the side of absurd cartoons like Cloudy & Penguins of Madagascar. Storks was exactly that and I loved every second of it. It's just a big absurd nonsense adventure and doesn't give a poo poo about being anything else so it gets the jokes right. If you skipped it I highly recommend it, especially if you liked Cloudy because it has that kind of manic Lord and Miller energy to it (Lord and Miller were producers on the film but the humor very much had their vibe to it). A

Also, I made it through 4 movies and none of them ended on a dance party. Birds and Storks had a dance party in it, but birds felt like an acceptable part of the plot and Storks' lasts about 30 ridiclous over the top seconds for a joke