Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting to me, since I'm Canadian and my knowledge of the civil war is limited to movies like Gone With The Wind and Lincoln.

It did seem like their only real viable strategy was more like the revolutionary war with tactical retreats to extend the war while vying for international aid until support dried up in the North, since as is obvious, they didn't have the infrastructure or resources to take the North on directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The South had a lot better generals and better officers in general than the North. Didn't make a bit of difference but since the officer class is integral in the decision to go to war, you can see why they were wildly optimistic.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I believe the idea was to make retaking the South such a great effort in money, manpower and a political burden to the sitting Northern president that that the North would eventually just acknowledge the South. Hoping for someone to replace Lincoln that would do it on the platform of a peacemaker.

Arguing for war is pretty hard when it's so close to home to the people itself. And as the price becomes more obvious, peace looks more appealing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The north had industry but the south, at least the planter elite, had shitloads of money. Cotton was king and planters had a very nice trade going with Great Britain to Fred its textile mils. Slavery was very healthy as an institution in 1860, especially compared to the British West Indies where slaves had been freed and decided, to everyone's amazement, not to want to work on plantations for poo poo wages.

Part of the calculus for the south was to get Britain into the war on their behalf, much like the French did in the revolution. Unfortunately the anti slavery sentiment in the U.K. kept them away politically and Egyptian cotton stepped in to replace southern American cotton economically.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Ron Jeremy posted:

The north had industry but the south, at least the planter elite, had shitloads of money. Cotton was king and planters had a very nice trade going with Great Britain to Fred its textile mils. Slavery was very healthy as an institution in 1860, especially compared to the British West Indies where slaves had been freed and decided, to everyone's amazement, not to want to work on plantations for poo poo wages.

Part of the calculus for the south was to get Britain into the war on their behalf, much like the French did in the revolution. Unfortunately the anti slavery sentiment in the U.K. kept them away politically and Egyptian cotton stepped in to replace southern American cotton economically.

Asking England to come save them, not even a hundred years past the Revolution? That's some double traitor bingo right there.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Is there any historical record of England even being interested in helping the CSA? I always got the impression that besides the spat in 1812 that the US and the British had a pretty good relationship, even soon after the revolutionary war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
British shipyards built a couple of warships for the CSA, there was a diplomatic incident over it and Britain paid fines to the USA at the end of the war. Other than that and the usual blockade running by private citizens that happens in every conflict, not really.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Seems legit thanks George Carlin.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seems legit thanks George Carlin.

Whole Foods was selling apricot kernels as a health food, despite the fact that just 2-3 can have unsafe levels of a precursor to cyanide for a healthy adult. They advertised it as a superfood.

People really just want the freedom to poison themselves in peace.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

Asking England to come save them, not even a hundred years past the Revolution? That's some double traitor bingo right there.

You underestimate how much Europe loved that sweet southern cotton. Lincoln and his generals were so certain the CSA would receive massive amounts of aid (and because of the plantation industry, could afford it) that blockading the entire coastline was part of the three part strategy they considered 100% crucial to winning the war. The other two were controlling the Mississippi River to divide the CSA, and capturing the capital.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

Whole Foods was selling apricot kernels as a health food, despite the fact that just 2-3 can have unsafe levels of a precursor to cyanide for a healthy adult. They advertised it as a superfood.

They need to start selling papaya seeds. I remember chopping food at the zoo and the head vet freaking out when I dumped chunks of it, with seeds attached, in the primate food buckets. Causes miscarriages in primates.

With the incoming Trumpites, might be a good idea to grow some papaya.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

The South had... lots of crops and a huge population of largely hostile or indifferent slaves to keep control of? If they didn't win immediately it was not going to end well for them at all.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Is there any historical record of England even being interested in helping the CSA? I always got the impression that besides the spat in 1812 that the US and the British had a pretty good relationship, even soon after the revolutionary war.

The South had cotton, a tremendously valuable crop with huge international demand, especially from Britain, the world's sole superpower. The confederacy thought that Britain would bow to the power of "King Cotton" (real phrase from the period) and also be happy to take a chance to bloody the USA's nose, which would help make up for the industrial and financial imbalance. In practice, Britain sent a small number of guns and mercenaries, but when the flow of cotton to Europe was slowed by, you know, the war, instead of investing heavily in the slave owning American dirtbags they just started a bunch of cotton plantations in India, which they basically owned at the time. To this day, India is the second only to China in cotton production, and it's a close thing.

Basically all of the South's plans to keep their slaves indefinitely were impractical, although my favorite ones were the attempts to increase the number of slave owning states by invading Central American countries, liberating them from their probably tyrannical governments, and then introducing slavery to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dienes posted:

Maybe they meant it in the Nietzschean sense.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mystic Mongol posted:

The South had cotton, a tremendously valuable crop with huge international demand, especially from Britain, the world's sole superpower. The confederacy thought that Britain would bow to the power of "King Cotton" (real phrase from the period) and also be happy to take a chance to bloody the USA's nose, which would help make up for the industrial and financial imbalance. In practice, Britain sent a small number of guns and mercenaries, but when the flow of cotton to Europe was slowed by, you know, the war, instead of investing heavily in the slave owning American dirtbags they just started a bunch of cotton plantations in India, which they basically owned at the time. To this day, India is the second only to China in cotton production, and it's a close thing.

Basically all of the South's plans to keep their slaves indefinitely were impractical, although my favorite ones were the attempts to increase the number of slave owning states by invading Central American countries, liberating them from their probably tyrannical governments, and then introducing slavery to them.

Hell, the idea to straight up buy Cuba was bandied about quite a bit when California entered the union as a free state. There wasn't any slave territory to enter and balance things out.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GaryRidesBikes/status/820050859568472064
[more info in twitter thread]

Macros wet dreaming about running over protestors are having real consequences. Here's assemblyman Keith Kempenich of North Dakota proposing a law that would make motorists not liable for anything if they run over someone blocking traffic.

quote:

A bill introduced by an oil patch lawmaker would provide an exemption for the driver of a motor vehicle if they unintentionally injured or killed a pedestrian obstructing traffic on a public road or highway.

“It’s shifting the burden of proof from the motor vehicle driver to the pedestrian,” said Rep. Keith Kempenich, R-Bowman, who admitted the bill is in response to the Dakota Access Pipeline protests in southern Morton County.

He said a response, in the form of House Bill 1203, was needed after groups of protesters blocked or gathered close to roadways and caused problems as motorists tried to drive by.

“They’re not there for the protesters,” said Kempenich of public roadways as a staging point. “They’re intentionally putting themselves in danger."

Kempenich said his mother-in-law, on a few occasions, was traveling south of Mandan and came upon groups of protesters gathered on and near roadways.

He said, on one occasion, about 100 cars were parked along a road in Morton County and his mother-in-law was passing through and slowed down. He said at one point an individual jumped out in front of the vehicle and was waving a sign.

Kempenich said one should consider what might happen if someone panics when coming upon a group of people gathered along a public roadway. He said an unintentional tragedy may occur “if they’d have punched the accelerator rather than the brakes.”

No committee hearing has yet been set for HB1203. Kempenich said some adjustments may be needed to clarify language but called the bill a reasonable move even if it may rarely, if ever, be applicable to occurrences outside of the protests.

“Our involvement in this would be very minimal and limited,” North Dakota Highway Patrol Lt. Tom Iverson said of the agency’s involvement with HB1203.

Iverson said the highway patrol could provide information to the committee when HB1203 is heard, such as how frequently pedestrians are struck by motor vehicles on public roads and highways.

He didn’t have numbers readily available but estimated that the number of instances of pedestrians obstructing traffic on record likely was much less “prior to Dakota Access.”

House Majority Leader Al Carlson, R-Fargo, said he wasn’t involved in HB1203 but lawmakers do need to weigh making potential changes in law enforcement capabilities in response to things such as the protests.

“The role of the Legislature is to work with the professionals,” Carlson said. “We won’t violate the right to peaceful protest."

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Defenestration posted:

https://twitter.com/GaryRidesBikes/status/820050859568472064
[more info in twitter thread]

Macros wet dreaming about running over protestors are having real consequences. Here's assemblyman Keith Kempenich of North Dakota proposing a law that would make motorists not liable for anything if they run over someone blocking traffic.

:wtc: this is one of those things you hope to learn is a troll bill, but turns out to be a no-poo poo registry of fascists holding office.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

sweart gliwere posted:

:wtc: this is one of those things you hope to learn is a troll bill, but turns out to be a no-poo poo registry of fascists holding office.

People who have nothing to hide wouldn't, uh, be in the road I guess.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Shadin posted:

People who have nothing to hide wouldn't, uh, be in the road I guess.

In the glorious future of 2018, lone pedestrians using wheelchairs or walkers or seeing-eye dogs will finally be dealt with rather than appeased... no more of this economic terrorism inflicted on Real Americans by forcing me to arrive late to work.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shadin posted:

You underestimate how much Europe loved that sweet southern cotton. Lincoln and his generals were so certain the CSA would receive massive amounts of aid (and because of the plantation industry, could afford it) that blockading the entire coastline was part of the three part strategy they considered 100% crucial to winning the war. The other two were controlling the Mississippi River to divide the CSA, and capturing the capital.

The irony is that the navy would never have had the resources to do something like blockade had not the south been so paranoid about foreign invasion from the West Indies by the masses of now free black people in the West Indies.

The ships that blockaded the south were built by southern congressional demand

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dienes posted:

You mean cancer-curing levels of vitamin B17.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cyanide ions interfere with cancer cells' respiration, making them unable to use oxygen and eventually killing them.

Well, cells in general, but :ssh:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

darthbob88 posted:

You mean cancer-curing levels of vitamin B17.

Can't have cancer if you're dead! :eng101:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Cyanide ions interfere with cancer cells' respiration, making them unable to use oxygen and eventually killing them.

Well, cells in general, but :ssh:
yeah my favorite response to this nonsense is that bleach kills cancer too

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Defenestration posted:

yeah my favorite response to this nonsense is that bleach kills cancer too

So YOU'RE the one responsible for MMS.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

sweart gliwere posted:

In the glorious future of 2018, lone pedestrians using wheelchairs or walkers or seeing-eye dogs will finally be dealt with rather than appeased... no more of this economic terrorism inflicted on Real Americans by forcing me to arrive late to work.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

So YOU'RE the one responsible for MMS.

omg that flash animation

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I love this movie so much

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Yeah... I mean, the lawmaker clearly made a small mistake since Trump's GOP would be much happier to see Race Death 2000. But this is a good starting point for going full evil

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I guess my mom isn't into reading text on pictures or looking at pictures...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Serfer posted:

I guess my mom isn't into reading text on pictures or looking at pictures...

Well, don't leave us hanging. How are the kitties??

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

PJOmega posted:

Well, don't leave us hanging. How are the kitties??

They're fine:

Serfer posted:

Have some Marley

Serfer posted:

Misty is such a pretty, tiny little lady

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I'm glad you gave them little boats, so they'll be ready for the flooding.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dienes posted:

You have to sell people something new and interesting if you want to convince them it's a magic fruit the government doesn't want you to have. You can't tell them that potatoes cure cancer because we've all been eating them forever. So you have to hunt up some fringe food, and it turns out there is usually a reason we're not eating it already.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I honestly can't tell at this point if the people celebrating about repealing Obamacare while simultaneously praising the ACA are seriously that ignorant or if it's some kind of performance art.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

jivjov posted:

I honestly can't tell at this point if the people celebrating about repealing Obamacare while simultaneously praising the ACA are seriously that ignorant or if it's some kind of performance art.

Got any more examples of it in the wild? Preferably ones where they go on and on about it unopposed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

VideoTapir posted:

Got any more examples of it in the wild? Preferably ones where they go on and on about it unopposed?

Unfortunately the one I was about to cite for you I was unable to go back and screenshot. The guy spent an hour or so replying to anyone saying "you know those are the same thing...right?" with paragraphs about how dumb liberals are, and then started blocking everyone.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

You have to sell people something new and interesting if you want to convince them it's a magic fruit the government doesn't want you to have. You can't tell them that potatoes cure cancer because we've all been eating them forever. So you have to hunt up some fringe food, and it turns out there is usually a reason we're not eating it already.

A lot of people also for whatever reason believe that non-Western cultures are both ignorant and backwards but also magical. It's one of the cores of naturopathy; America relies too much on technology and that is bad because it is unnatural! The X people might live in mud huts and shacks but they have Y fruit that makes them all live to be like a thousand. The medical industry wants to be super rich so they obviously just ignore these people and let them do their thing and focus on banning Y fruit in America so they can take your money by selling you bullshit treatments.

Far too many people read about things like the promised benefits of chiropractic stuff or traditional Chinese medicine or whatever and take it at face value. Natural remedies and alt medicine just sound so much better but the promises are very frequently utterly unfounded.

I wish I saved a copy of it but there was a great image on Facebook circulating about this. It was a picture of a guy that said something along the lines of "This is Tyler. Tyler was diagnosed with cancer. The doctor offered him some very expensive treatments so he went to the naturopath instead. The naturopath told him to change his diet to a paleo one based on natural foods. The naturopath promised that some specific foods, eaten in large amounts, would cleanse toxins from his body and cure his cancer. Now Tyler still has cancer, he feels worse, he went to the doctor for the treatment anyway, and he just wants some drat pizza rolls."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of people also for whatever reason believe that non-Western cultures are both ignorant and backwards but also magical. It's one of the cores of naturopathy; America relies too much on technology and that is bad because it is unnatural! The X people might live in mud huts and shacks but they have Y fruit that makes them all live to be like a thousand. The medical industry wants to be super rich so they obviously just ignore these people and let them do their thing and focus on banning Y fruit in America so they can take your money by selling you bullshit treatments.

Far too many people read about things like the promised benefits of chiropractic stuff or traditional Chinese medicine or whatever and take it at face value. Natural remedies and alt medicine just sound so much better but the promises are very frequently utterly unfounded.

I wish I saved a copy of it but there was a great image on Facebook circulating about this. It was a picture of a guy that said something along the lines of "This is Tyler. Tyler was diagnosed with cancer. The doctor offered him some very expensive treatments so he went to the naturopath instead. The naturopath told him to change his diet to a paleo one based on natural foods. The naturopath promised that some specific foods, eaten in large amounts, would cleanse toxins from his body and cure his cancer. Now Tyler still has cancer, he feels worse, he went to the doctor for the treatment anyway, and he just wants some drat pizza rolls."

I got you friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

darthbob88 posted:

I got you friend.

That's exactly it! Thank you very much.