Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol jake's not going to the white house to meet obama because of "personal reasons" what a turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pancakes posted:

Right, thinking of a legitimately tubby CF in today's game is tough. Jon Jay has a lot of junk in the trunk, but he's not what I'd call beefy.

Andruw Jones played CF and decently well even when he was genuinely fat. He couldn't hit for poo poo at that point though.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol jake's not going to the white house to meet obama because of "personal reasons" what a turkey

If Tim Thomas is any indication, expect him to take a year off while still under contract soon.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Can't wait for the scorching hot right wing takes when an athlete declines an invite to Trump's white house.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ColdBlooded posted:

Can't wait for the scorching hot right wing takes when an athlete declines an invite to Trump's white house.

Outrage level directly proportional to the athlete's skin tone.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves get Micah Johnson from LAD for a PTBNL; this news mostly served to remind me that Jace Peterson is still with the Braves. Could have sworn he left in some random deal.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Plz Dodgers trade for Braun and Scooter now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

His loss. I'd go and refuse to shake hands maybe, but how many times are you going to be able to go to the White House??

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:lol:

http://imgur.com/ayctN0v

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 15, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Someone has way too drat much free time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ryan Dempster is going to pitch for Canada in the WBC :canada:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your Taint posted:

T h e o f f s e a s o n

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Ryan Dempster is going to pitch for Canada in the WBC :canada:

So is Eric Gagne!

And Russell Martin will be the starting shortstop.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Plz Dodgers trade for Braun and Scooter now.
no thanks

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

Also George Springer is :stare:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

It's not as hard as you think

vvv yeah, he taught me how to do it for the last couple nba fantasy drafts we've done here vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 15, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dokomo has done poo poo like this for the NBA before.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

Does it make me a bad Cardinals fan that if we weren't already overloaded with starters I'd rather have Collin McHugh and his 4.34 ERA than Jake Arrieta right now?

https://twitter.com/Collin_McHugh/status/820332730328248320

https://twitter.com/Collin_McHugh/status/820333121514176512

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Pancakes posted:

Does it make me a bad Cardinals fan that if we weren't already overloaded with starters I'd rather have Collin McHugh and his 4.34 ERA than Jake Arrieta right now?

Could be spin, but according to the Cubs MLB.com beat writer his mother in law is recovering from brain surgery. Hopefully it is just that before Jake learns that most Trump supporters would view him as a leftist extremist based on his kale consumption alone.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Could be spin, but according to the Cubs MLB.com beat writer his mother in law is recovering from brain surgery. Hopefully it is just that before Jake learns that most Trump supporters would view him as a leftist extremist based on his kale consumption alone.

I'm guessing that's not the only reason. There's a track record of him being notably right-leaning.

https://twitter.com/JArrieta34/status/796372720015523840

E: In case anyone thinks I'm just picking on Jake for being a Cub, JD Murders, 80-tool name-haver and Cardinals prospect, is also not my favorite.

https://twitter.com/Jdmurders7/status/794625701852942337

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good for Colin, there are so few liberal leaning MLB players that are willing to say anything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
"Sad!" - contemplative Indians fan

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pancakes posted:

Every Cardinals fan is bad

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thoughts on the Padres possibly extending Wil Myers? I really liked him in his Rookie of the Year season. Great bat speed/upper body quickness. He turns on the ball so fast. Then he sucked in 2014 and 2015, but wrist injuries will do that. I didn't watch him much last year, because Padres, but 28 dingers with PetCo as your home park is pretty decent. I suspect he can still play the outfield too, if the Padres ever get anyone else who hits enough to play first base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPRIDDCeax4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Pussy Boss posted:

Thoughts on the Padres possibly extending Wil Myers? I really liked him in his Rookie of the Year season. Great bat speed/upper body quickness. He turns on the ball so fast. Then he sucked in 2014 and 2015, but wrist injuries will do that. I didn't watch him much last year, because Padres, but 28 dingers with PetCo as your home park is pretty decent. I suspect he can still play the outfield too, if the Padres ever get anyone else who hits enough to play first base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPRIDDCeax4
They kinda need someone they can put on their tickets, because otherwise that team is pretty anonymous this year. At least until someone like Manny Margot shows up and (presumably) plays well.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

IcePhoenix posted:

Every Cardinals fan is bad

Pancakes is surprisingly good, actually

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

His loss. I'd go and refuse to shake hands maybe, but how many times are you going to be able to go to the White House??

I vastly prefer that he opt out of the trip entirely rather than go and refuse to shake hands with the president or something dumb like that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Smh if you wouldn't attend the Trump White House and tell him off to his face.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/820856542467686400
please, for the love of god,

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Thank you baseball jesus

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Came to post the Bautista rumors. If true it will soften the blow a little bit about losing Edwin, but I'm still kinda salty about that.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Going to laugh if the Jays give him like $20MM after misjudging the market for power bats and rushing out to get Kendrys Morales.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 17, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Petition to make this the new :smith:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul posted:

Going to laugh if the Jays give him like $20MM after misjuding the market for power bats and rushing out to get Kendrys Morales.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was 2 years at 10MM per. No team will sign him right now that has to give up a pick.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

patonthebach posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if it was 2 years at 10MM per. No team will sign him right now that has to give up a pick.

Sounding more like 2/35-40. 2nd year might be a team option.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

patonthebach posted:

For 10M a year there are teams that would absolutely give up a pick to sign him, especially if their contention window's probably going to be closed before that pick even gets to AAA.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Teams must really not like Joey Bats if they're not willing to give him at least a couple years at the qualifying offer AAV. I get the age and drop off in production last year but these kinds of hitters don't grow on trees. He's still 6th in OF WRC+ over the last 2 seasons eve with the good but not amazing 2016 factored in.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
There's a lot of legitimate concern about Bautista's durability going forward, but I read this recent Fangraphs article that spoke about why he's a pretty solid bounceback candidate.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Those Chernoff faces are OK, but they need a bigger range of head size/HRs. Would be way funnier if Heyward's head was like 1/4 the size of David Ortiz's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

tadashi posted:

Teams must really not like Joey Bats if they're not willing to give him at least a couple years at the qualifying offer AAV. I get the age and drop off in production last year but these kinds of hitters don't grow on trees. He's still 6th in OF WRC+ over the last 2 seasons eve with the good but not amazing 2016 factored in.

The only thing in abundance this FA season has been older power hitters who can't really field positions well and Bats makes you sacrifice a draft pick for him on top of the contract. I think the only teams left that make sense are Cleveland and Toronto.

• Locked thread