Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Some of the shots in the Alfa segment were mind blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's a car show, you idiots.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Nooooooope.

Ask me what I do for a living. Go on.

I'm going to guess it's something in the child care industry because your initial offering on the difference between the two had missed the mark worse than a blind man in an archery competition. :cheeky:

You did well at describing the difference between a partially threaded bolt and a fully threaded bolt (a.k.a. a tap bolt), but as an actual definition it is long obsolete:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I love everything about that Alfa Quadriplegio except for the front. It looks like it's special needs.

A shame really, as the side profile and rear is gorgeous.

Not that I'd ever actually be able to afford one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm going to guess it's something in the child care industry
Certainly loving feels like it right about now. No, I'm an engineer who's spent more than a decade working for a manufacturer of aerospace fasteners. I spend all day, every day, dealing with noting but the minutiae of technical requirements and specifications for such things. And based on that knowledge and experience, I'm going to give you the one absolute truth in this situation:

No-one really cares that much.

When I say that you can call a fastener with a plain section a bolt and one that is threaded to the head a screw, yes, I am simplifying matters, but everyone will understand what you mean. That's why i did it. Go, run free, use this definition, and roll your eyes at the people getting their knickers in a twist about the half a dozen perfectly reasonable, well sourced, and historically justifiable definitions. Because thats what the people who design and make the drat things do. You want to use the definition that is effectively "if you turn the head it's a screw, if you hold the head static and tighten a nut onto it, it's a bolt"? Fine. Go use that instead. You'll still find someone to argue with you, whichever you choose, and ultimately, there really is no perfect, universal definition. The best you can usually manage is to win the arguments such that you get it written in The Big Book Of Small Print No-One Actually Reads Unless They Really Really Have To and - more importantly - you can sign off the job. Trust me, I have these sorts of arguments regularly, most engineers do, in whatever their particular field is.

You see, this is precisely what I was annoyed about. For some reason, whenever someone gives a simplified, "lies-to-children" explanation or definition of something, there's always one motherfucker who just has to come out the woodwork to tell them they're "wrong". If you want to have a proper James May-style discussion about how we should define this kind of thing, then that's fine, but don't do this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RIP top gear dog. :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Really screwed up the thread guys :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Really screwed up the thread guys :(

Are you bolting?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ola posted:

Are you bolting?

Better fasten up just in case.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Better fasten up just in case.

Just don't go nuts.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Ola posted:

Just don't go nuts.

As an engineer who has had to study this I find the whole discussion fastenating.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Don't screw it up, or you might get the shank.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ecstatic posted:

As an engineer who has had to study this I find the whole discussion fastenating.

You studied autism in your engineering program?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

hopterque posted:

You studied autism in your engineering program?
Have you met any engineers?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

InitialDave posted:

Have you met any engineers?

:thejoke:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm a civil engineer, which is where all of the cool, popular engineers hang out. Right?

Guys?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I'm a civil engineer

Good on you, I can't stand rude engineers.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv0JGRpSQxE

Engineer this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You know, reading the Wikipedia article for the show, I think all the things people dislike about the show are intentional rubs against the BBC and their lawyers.

I'm coping from the Wikipedia:

The show is presented from a pair of large tents on a Grand Tour around the world. (The wording probably prevents them from having a show with a 'studio segment' in a 'set location' or something)

The presenters sit around a trestle table, with the studio audience seated in front of them. (They are probably not allowed to be surrounded by an audience)

Lap times are shown on an electronic scoreboard. (Clarkson is not allowed to write lap times on a board)

A recurring test driver used for lap times is a named NASCAR character, portraying a stereotypical redneck accent and viewpoints, and prone to tangential speech. (The Stig obviously cannot be used, but also an anonymous speechless driver that displays oddities probably cannot be used, so they used a not-anonymous driver that won't shut up and is a very stereotypical person instead)

Any celebrity guests booked for the "Celebrity Brain Crash" segment are shown being "killed off" before they can be interviewed by the presenters. (They're not allowed to interview a celebrity on the show, so this is a pretty obvious jab at the BBC)

I'd really be interested in reading the actual legal documents that document what they can and cannot do.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I find the jabs at the BBC funny since most of them are true. It has some very creative people that produce great entertainment in spite of not because of the BBC being funded by TV license fees.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alfa Romeo Quadrifogliogliolio.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Alfa Romeo Quadrifogliogliolio.

Don't do this.

It's racist against Italy.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't do this.

Good. gently caress you, Italy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't-a do-a this-a.

It's-a racist-a against-a ITALIA.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had a surprise week of vacation because of the transition to the new job and so I've been watching old episodes of Top Gear in the background. There's a bit where they're talking about emission standards for companies and their advice to all these different major car makers was just to lie. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't do this.

Dear The Grand so-called Tour...

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Looks like the next episode is gonna have them buying second hand maseratis. This should be fantastic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Looks like the next episode is gonna have them buying second hand maseratis. This should be fantastic.

A real challenge would be finding three running Biturbos.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm sure that would cause some sort of implosion or singularity or something.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Certainly loving feels like it right about now. No, I'm an engineer who's spent more than a decade working for a manufacturer of aerospace fasteners. I spend all day, every day, dealing with noting but the minutiae of technical requirements and specifications for such things. And based on that knowledge and experience, I'm going to give you the one absolute truth in this situation:

No-one really cares that much.

When I say that you can call a fastener with a plain section a bolt and one that is threaded to the head a screw, yes, I am simplifying matters, but everyone will understand what you mean. That's why i did it. Go, run free, use this definition, and roll your eyes at the people getting their knickers in a twist about the half a dozen perfectly reasonable, well sourced, and historically justifiable definitions. Because thats what the people who design and make the drat things do. You want to use the definition that is effectively "if you turn the head it's a screw, if you hold the head static and tighten a nut onto it, it's a bolt"? Fine. Go use that instead. You'll still find someone to argue with you, whichever you choose, and ultimately, there really is no perfect, universal definition. The best you can usually manage is to win the arguments such that you get it written in The Big Book Of Small Print No-One Actually Reads Unless They Really Really Have To and - more importantly - you can sign off the job. Trust me, I have these sorts of arguments regularly, most engineers do, in whatever their particular field is.

You see, this is precisely what I was annoyed about. For some reason, whenever someone gives a simplified, "lies-to-children" explanation or definition of something, there's always one motherfucker who just has to come out the woodwork to tell them they're "wrong". If you want to have a proper James May-style discussion about how we should define this kind of thing, then that's fine, but don't do this.

I know too many people who think that tightening from bolt side is the way to go. Like, people who've been working on cars for 20 years

Alfa romeo probably did a good job naming their car quadriplegia because you'll probably go one once you take it to it's limits

hillo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 18, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They're currently doing some sort of live Grand Tour thing in the San Fernando Valley.
https://www.facebook.com/enews/videos/vb.89033370735/10154054950520736/?type=3&theater

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

hillo posted:

I know too many people who think that tightening from bolt side is the way to go. Like, people who've been working on cars for 20 years
You probably won't hurt anything doing that in an generic application, in fairness. Where that starts getting interesting is when the nut side and bolt side are different (material, finish, etc).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Watch James build an old record player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nMHhLidGVU

I'll even forgive his Jeff Lynne slam.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 20, 2017

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
:yayclod: A cheap(ish) car challenge

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

They're right, leather seats are an incredibly bad idea.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Totally agree. I specifically requested fabric seats on my Jetta and had to put my foot down to get across to the salesperson that leather was a detriment in my opinion.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
bend the knob

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder if James's injured arm is going to show up in any other segments. Reminds me of when Adam had to do a few episodes of TGUS season 4 in a sling.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Leather is the poo poo I loving love leather. Leather shoes leather belt leather watchband leather gloves leather seats gently caress you gimmie that leather.

I kind of wish I could have seen my own look of disgust and shock when that bit aired. How in god's name could a human being not love leather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have black leather interior on a dark colored car in florida. Still worth it for the lovely smell just after cleaning.