Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There are genuinely people mad at David Hume for the is-ought barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caveatimperator
Oct 30, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

And what's the dumbest thing about that? Every attempt I can think of to use science to make normative statements postdates Hume's work here.

Economics? Used to be a branch of philosophy, and sometimes theology, until the 18th century at the earliest. And a lot of the more cynical attempts to moralize with it (the uglier strains of laissez-faire economics, for example) are 19th century or later ideas. Scientific racism doesn't exist before Darwin; earlier forms of racism were politically or religiously motivated. Psychology wasn't a distinct field until the 20th century.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Remember that time LambdaConf invited literally the founder of neoreaction to speak, leading to condemnation by most of the leading lights of functional programming? They've learnt nothing. And have Fahrenheit:1488 on board. w00t!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Fantasyland, indeed.

Edit: Lol at 'you can't withdraw, sorry' if they claim it's from media pressure

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's pretty funny how the only reason anyone paid attention to Moldbug's useless vanity project(his politics) is also the eternal albatross around his neck when trying to sell it to people

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm aware of Sam Harris's and Ayn Rand's arguments against it (which both seem to amount to "nuh-uh!"). Are there any other fun ones?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Eric S. Raymond writes about how Rust is a bad computer programming language because it does not contain Linux system calls in the base language.

Of course, his commenters know who's really responsible: that darned SJW infestation at Mozilla!!

quote:

Watching the chaos on the mailing lists and IRC channel, I saw that it was a combination of arrogance and SJWism from the Netscape/Mozilla crowd, in combination with a huge influx from the Ruby on Rails crowd… Ruby on Rails may have been great for setting up a website in 5 minutes, but their mentality toward security, performance, and bugs made my hair stand on end for many years. And that same chaotic mentality followed them to Rust.

quote:

Another example of the costs of SJW convergence.

They are literally talking about the fine details of the choices involved in computer language design as literally an SJW conspiracy at Mozilla.

(Not clear on why the first guy calls the organisation "Netscape", given Mozilla left Netscape in 2003. Perhaps this is a shibboleth of some sort amongst the sort of people who seriously claim the fine detail of programming language design decisions is due to SJW infestations.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow, looks like the bad guy from Jem and the Holograms is still an rear end in a top hat

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/820049153132793856

More in Clark totally isn't a racist:

https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/819520228610732033
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/819294460328689677
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/819296023298314240

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Aren't there is-ought connections, in practice? The objects of science and of moral philosophy are different, but people's moral judgments are informed by their factual beliefs. What jumped to my mind was how information that a practice is widespread makes it less useful as a moral differentiator; if a community internalizes the fact that tons of people are hella gay everywhere and at all times, persecuting gay people will become a less practical tool for social cohesion.

Or more simply, doesn't information about what is statistically normal influence (but not determine) what is morally normalized?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Doc Hawkins posted:

Aren't there is-ought connections, in practice? The objects of science and of moral philosophy are different, but people's moral judgments are informed by their factual beliefs. What jumped to my mind was how information that a practice is widespread makes it less useful as a moral differentiator; if a community internalizes the fact that tons of people are hella gay everywhere and at all times, persecuting gay people will become a less practical tool for social cohesion.

Or more simply, doesn't information about what is statistically normal influence (but not determine) what is morally normalized?

This will lead to a long, and perhaps, enlightening discussion that has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread topic.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ClarkHat once again proving he's basically completely unaware of anything that's not his tiny bubble of the world.

I also like that he seems to think the left, as a group, is intentionally importing muslims for nefarious reasons. Because why the hell else would you want foreigners in your country, they smell funny :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

divabot posted:

(Not clear on why the first guy calls the organisation "Netscape", given Mozilla left Netscape in 2003. Perhaps this is a shibboleth of some sort amongst the sort of people who seriously claim the fine detail of programming language design decisions is due to SJW infestations.)

So basically half of php-core, then.

(I feel so sorry for Andrea having to put up with this crap)

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

TinTower posted:

So basically half of php-core, then.

(I feel so sorry for Andrea having to put up with this crap)
I still kind of want to know what happened that eventually lead to ircmaxell's CoC. I find it interesting and encouraging that Andrea came back and stayed even after that blew up and the community revealed itself for the shithole that it really is.

divabot posted:

They've learnt nothing. And have Fahrenheit:1488 on board. w00t!
The most hilariously horrible part of this one isn't the "you can't quit if you come under pressure" clause, it's the NDA you have to sign to join. It's also great that they're trying to build their own CoC.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

"I just don't understand why our CoC that explicitly bans discriminatory or judgmental speech keeps attracting all these white nationalists! What? No, they're not being judgmental, they have an extremely professional power point presentation on the historical and socio-economic factors that led them to conclude they must secure a future for the white race. They never once made a declarative statement that black people are sub-human mongrels, who are you to judge them for pointing out the vast difference in achievements uncovered by their academic inquiries?"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

divabot posted:

Remember that time LambdaConf invited literally the founder of neoreaction to speak, leading to condemnation by most of the leading lights of functional programming? They've learnt nothing. And have Fahrenheit:1488 on board. w00t!

This is revealing:

http://fantasyland.institute/about/team.html

Judging by faces and surnames, all 4 of the main team are siblings (or maybe spouses? But seriously I think they're all brothers and sisters). The only person listed who's not in the family is a volunteer, and her bio says:

quote:

A programmer from the hills of Kentucky. Obsessed with computers, [self-]learning, and civil liberties. Morgan is responsible for creating the Fantasyland Institute of Learning website, and is passionate about the institute's initiatives to keep ideological discrimination out of the tech industry.

"ideological discrimination": Badwrong

Speaker who literally advocates for slavery and sometimes lets it slip that the subject of his talk at last year's conference, his ridiculously dumb tech startup's product, is intended (at some level) to push his political agenda: Just fine! DEFEND HIS INCLUSION TO THE DEATH! You can totally separate issues! You must! Tech is tech! It has no relationship with the world around it, it exists on a higher plane! Oh and please pay no attention to the neofascist wannabe-vampire billionaire sugar daddy lurking in the background.

loving idiots.

Also they really do live in a fantasy land if they think they're going to get worthwhile speakers by insisting that speakers can't withdraw once signed up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Also they really do live in a fantasy land if they think they're going to get worthwhile speakers by insisting that speakers can't withdraw once signed up.

Can't wait to see this year's presentation of "guy who really doesn't want to be here goes up on stage and makes a 45 minute long string of fart sounds with his armpit because he's contractually obligated to be there"

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

That won't happen if you select speakers from their list, whose ideologies have been pre-screened as being against ideological screening.

quote:

With a separate application, you can gain access to our private diversity of thought speaker database. This database can be used to screen for speakers who support ideological diversity.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Most of the gay furries I know are still not done with their post-Trump panic attacks, so https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/820312710101532672

Oh wait, forgot we were talking about the bizarre fantasy world St_Rev lives in, nm

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I want to know what bizarre fantasyland he lives in where Donald "Mike loving Pence is my copilot" Trump is good on any kind of LGBT rights other than the rights to be treated as a leper and a second class citizen.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Basically the is-ought problem is that the two kinds of statements can interact with each other, but you can't generate one purely from the other. You need some kind of moral basis and some kind of factual basis in order to start the process you describe.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NachtSieger posted:

I want to know what bizarre fantasyland he lives in where Donald "Mike loving Pence is my copilot" Trump is good on any kind of LGBT rights other than the rights to be treated as a leper and a second class citizen.

He brought a flag on stage at a rally when some attendees gave it to him.

In other words he performed a symbolic gesture once, in the moment, therefore he truly loves the LGBT community and has its back.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Goon Danton posted:

Basically the is-ought problem is that the two kinds of statements can interact with each other, but you can't generate one purely from the other.

Oh, cool. Glad I'm not doing it wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

NachtSieger posted:

Well you see Clinton was against gay marriage at some point, and Donald Trump was okay with it in some interview, therefore we can safely ignore every indication that Trump is going to be unfathomably awful

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I assume Trump has 'a better record' because he doesn't have any meaningful record at all until after support for gay rights became normative, seeing as he only just got involved in serious politics. This is of course a more important consideration than the party whose bills he has the power of veto over and which he is making appointments from and whose vp will replace him in the far from impossible situation that he doesn't last a full term.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NachtSieger posted:

Trump hates muslims because they hate gay people, therefore he is better on gay rights than the founders of ISIS who can't even say radical Islamic terror etc etc.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peel posted:

I assume Trump has 'a better record' because he doesn't have any meaningful record at all until after support for gay rights became normative, seeing as he only just got involved in serious politics. This is of course a more important consideration than the party whose bills he has the power of veto over and which he is making appointments from and whose vp will replace him in the far from impossible situation that he doesn't last a full term.

He brings up Trump vs Clinton on gay marriage every time the election comes up. Rev's whole strategy for dealing with politics is to find one solitary fact that goes against somebody's oversimplified narrative, then beat it into the ground as if it's some kind of smoking gun that shows the ultimate folly of the progs.

Like how he brings up the fact that the group most out risk for rape is black men in prison whenever someone dares to criticize MRAs. It doesn't actually matter that most MRAs don't give a poo poo about those people and most of the people who do loudly criticize the prison industrial complex are people who would identify as feminists if asked. HOW MAN RAPED IF WOMZ DISCRIMINATED AGAINST???????

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He brings up Trump vs Clinton on gay marriage every time the election comes up. Rev's whole strategy for dealing with politics is to find one solitary fact that goes against somebody's oversimplified narrative, then beat it into the ground as if it's some kind of smoking gun that shows the ultimate folly of the progs.

Like how he brings up the fact that the group most out risk for rape is black men in prison whenever someone dares to criticize MRAs. It doesn't actually matter that most MRAs don't give a poo poo about those people and most of the people who do loudly criticize the prison industrial complex are people who would identify as feminists if asked. HOW MAN RAPED IF WOMZ DISCRIMINATED AGAINST???????

He strikes me as this exact kind of person too, the kind of person who thinks they're super ~deep~ because they know the real secret facts the rest of the dumb progs don't know and he can totally shut down debate with them at any moment.

So basically me in highschool, plus a bunch of hatred for minorities stirred in for some reason.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I mean, I'm not aware of evidence that Trump has an animus toward LGBT people, though I would be surprised if he didn't hold lazy stereotypes. He's prolly one of the best of his party. But it's still a silly comparison and conclusion.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Peel posted:

I mean, I'm not aware of evidence that Trump has an animus toward LGBT people, though I would be surprised if he didn't hold lazy stereotypes. He's prolly one of the best of his party. But it's still a silly comparison and conclusion.

His prejudices are of the sort that don't lean to active malice. Mostly. Phil Sandifer of course provides. (Archive copy while the last two theses are being revised.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Peel posted:

Passionately, even rabidly hating LGBT people seems to have been a major qualification in getting named to his Cabinet.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ate all the Oreos posted:

He strikes me as this exact kind of person too, the kind of person who thinks they're super ~deep~ because they know the real secret facts the rest of the dumb progs don't know and he can totally shut down debate with them at any moment.

So basically me in highschool, plus a bunch of hatred for minorities stirred in for some reason.

He seems like a sea lion for sure. Almost certainly has eggs over easy on toast.

Cavelcade has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's almost as if he's a preening, easily-manipulated vessel for the most noxious and reactionary elements of his party and his personal political principles are of minimal signifiance...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't think St_Rev consciously hate minorities, it's just that his views 90% of the time align exactly with people who do and he's incapable of the introspection necessary to realize why this is so.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think St_Rev consciously hate minorities, it's just that his views 90% of the time align exactly with people who do and he's incapable of the introspection necessary to realize why this is so.

Yeah okay, he thinks he's got the deep truths that show that minorities are inferior that everyone ignores.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
AHAHAHAHA

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

just when I thought the Daily Shoah doxx affair couldn't get any more hilarious.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Wait is that site like the onion or is that real?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Wait is that site like the onion or is that real?

Raw Story's a reliable enough source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Raw Story's a reliable enough source.

it's also just "reporting" on a report Salon did, i hate it when news outlets do that