Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The quest Diplomatic Immunity where you go to the dinner party or whatever actually implies the direct opposite of what you just said.

*that is to say that I interpreted it as not a stop-gap at all, it would directly harm the future interests of man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

im pooping! posted:

The quest Diplomatic Immunity where you go to the dinner party or whatever actually implies the direct opposite of what you just said.

*that is to say that I interpreted it as not a stop-gap at all, it would directly harm the future interests of man

Well... the Nazi Elves are supporting the Stormcloaks to further weaken what's left of the Imperium so that they (The Nazi Elves) can get more of their Nazi on

One does not see that coming only if they don't look.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In World of Final Fantasy, you visit a beach and one of the characters decides to bust out Tidus' laugh from X. It was so goofy and unexpected I couldn't help but smile. Its also a pretty spot on impression too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

In World of Final Fantasy, you visit a beach and one of the characters decides to bust out Tidus' laugh from X. It was so goofy and unexpected I couldn't help but smile. Its also a pretty spot on impression too.

Loosely related; Do mods count?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Nuebot posted:

I immediately looked for Braska's Final Aeon's theme. I was not disappointed. (7:58)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Who What Now posted:

Man, you would hate the games I play in Dwarf Fortress. I have whole civilizations and economies built around the slaughter of kittens immediately after they're born. Dorfs eat gourmet kitten meat dishes served in sauces made of kitten blood and rendered kitten fat. Clothes made from tanned kitten hide. Literal tons of crates filled with kitten bone scrimshaw to be traded away for booze and more cats to be slaughtered.

DF is a good game.

Hahaha, yeah I don't think I would care for that much at all.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, when I started up WD2, I thought for a second I saw my e-mail in the code strings in the intro when they're flashing by.

Turns out, I got an e-mail from Ubisoft Club welcoming me to WD2. It was my e-mail, displayed as part of the in-game lore. And I almost forgot I had UbiClub, since I never use the drat thing.

Well played, Ubisoft.

:eyepop:

Holy gently caress

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

I immediately looked for Braska's Final Aeon's theme. I was not disappointed. (7:58)
I feel like that someone who doesn't belong is skulking in the shadows.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

From 20 pages back, but this was such a great little thing, imo.

WarLocke posted:

Wasn't Prototype the one where the entire game you think you're playing this guy who was infected by the virus, but at the end it's revealed that the virus totally consumed him and the character you've been playing is just the lingering remnants of his memory/personality that the virus has imprinted itself with?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah, and iirc the virus decides that the man it was initiating was a massive loving rear end in a top hat.

It's subtly implied in one of "Mercer's" voiceovers that assimilating people is actually what made you a better person than the real Alex Mercer. He's haunted by the dying memories of the people he's been eating, most of whom were probably pretty decent and normal. I imagine that experiencing "your" own agonizing death, hundreds of times over, might do something to build empathy for others.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
and then prototype 2 fucks it up completely story wise

On the other hand, it has some of the most brutal combat and most entertaining dialogue in an open world game, so there is that

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been playing MGSV lately and it's pretty great. I'm coincidentally learning Russian right now and at least to my ear the translation of the soldiers ingame is pretty accurate. I just think that's great! :v:

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jan 16, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

This is beautiful. If they ever make a FFX remake like they're doing with 7, they should add an option to switch the soundtrack to this one.

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Danaru posted:

I had a lone wanderer game where my dude was in a pissy mood, a cargo pod fell from the sky full of cocaine. Dude has a drug binge mental break, proceeds to snort the entire thing until he dies from an overdose and I get a game over.

Rimworld is a good game

Rimworld mental breaks are fun. In a recent game, one of my dudes got so pissed off that he went berserk, and started wailing on the first friendly he could find. Unfortunately, that happened to be a tame Grizzly bear. After mauling the gently caress out of the poor colonist, the bear calmly picked him up, took him to the hospital and put him in bed to recover. I love that bloody bear.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arc Light posted:

He's haunted by the dying memories of the people he's been eating, most of whom were probably pretty decent and normal.

Nah, the Web of Intrigue makes it pretty clear that just about every single person connected to the military and/or Blacklight is a complete psycho. I think the one or two times they show someone not being a maniac, they're immediately punished for it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Jan 16, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

Nah, the Web of Intrigue makes it pretty clear that just about every single person connected to the military and/or Blacklight is a complete psycho. I think the one or two times they show someone not being a maniac, they're immediately punished for it.

But what about all the old ladies on the street? I ate so many of those in my quest to be the one true Thing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Len posted:

But what about all the old ladies on the street? I ate so many of those in my quest to be the one true Thing.

They put cats in bins.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

With Prototype chat, yeah the reveal is that Mercer has been dead the entire time and you're just the self aware plague riding his corpse and living his memories. My favorite bit about that was that the game seems to imply you're a much better person than the real guy ever was, by merit of gaining empathy through living the deaths of all the victims of the plague.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Glagha posted:

With Prototype chat, yeah the reveal is that Mercer has been dead the entire time and you're just the self aware plague riding his corpse and living his memories. My favorite bit about that was that the game seems to imply you're a much better person than the real guy ever was, by merit of gaining empathy through living the deaths of all the victims of the plague.

But then Prototype 2 immediately shat all over that so whooopie....

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Virus Mercer ate so many lovely people that he inherited too much of their assholeness. QED Prototype 2 holds up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first Prototype is extremely bad.

The second is mostly bad but smashing people can be fun.

So the retcon's fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Glagha posted:

My favorite bit is after the reveal the game completely drops Mercer's sister as well as that one professor guy from the plot. "Oh I'm a virus? Well poo poo I guess you aren't worth my time anymore 'sis'!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

scarycave posted:

This is beautiful. If they ever make a FFX remake like they're doing with 7, they should add an option to switch the soundtrack to this one.

It's an actual mod for the PC version and I'm tempted to install it and see how long before it breaks me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

It's an actual mod for the PC version and I'm tempted to install it and see how long before it breaks me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ I didn't even make it out of the boat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While we're talking about cut scenes I think this is one of my favorites ever for just one line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M

"Choose your next words with exceptional care" is probably one of the most intimidating things ever said in a video game.

Ice cold.
Clandestine, a jankish but still cool Co-Op (Spy and Hacker) stealth game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
FF15: Holy gently caress, when they said Altissia was big I didn't realise just how big - it's half the game world by itself. Colour me impressed by Fantasy Venice.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
A common complaint that I see a lot about Binding of Isaac is that after years of expansions and a remake the game is way too bloated and unbalanced compared to the simplicity of the original, and while I don't necessarily agree the new character they added in Afterbirth+ addresses this in an ingenious way: he has an ability that lets him consume any items on screen to gain a randomized stat bonus. So if you want to not have to sweat a zillion different status effects and bullet patterns and familiars you don't have to.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Guy Mann posted:

A common complaint that I see a lot about Binding of Isaac is that after years of expansions and a remake the game is way too bloated and unbalanced compared to the simplicity of the original, and while I don't necessarily agree the new character they added in Afterbirth+ addresses this in an ingenious way: he has an ability that lets him consume any items on screen to gain a randomized stat bonus. So if you want to not have to sweat a zillion different status effects and bullet patterns and familiars you don't have to.

The big problem with Afterbirth+ that I've seen is that the developer decided to only test the alpha build with "core community members" who happened to be insane, top-tier "we play this game all day every day" players. As a result, the expansion is hard, and less in a Dark Souls "get more skilled" variety so much as a "the game fucks you over constantly" type.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BioEnchanted posted:

FF15: Holy gently caress, when they said Altissia was big I didn't realise just how big - it's half the game world by itself. Colour me impressed by Fantasy Venice.

Unfortunately, its basically completely unused, and you spend very little time there. Its very obvious that Altissa had a bunch of content cut from it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Useless posted:

The big problem with Afterbirth+ that I've seen is that the developer decided to only test the alpha build with "core community members" who happened to be insane, top-tier "we play this game all day every day" players. As a result, the expansion is hard, and less in a Dark Souls "get more skilled" variety so much as a "the game fucks you over constantly" type.

Yeah, the problem is really that it's just no fun any more. There are so many bullshit enemies and useless items now that really take a lot away from what I enjoyed about it in the first place. The recent fan addon (Antibirth?) was way more fun than either of the official DLCs and I hope they manage to add it in the Steam Workshop somehow.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Useless posted:

It goes both ways, a lot of the super hardcore high-level players are also mad because some of the stuff they use to cheese the game has been neutered. It definitely has its problems but they've at least been making an effort to fix it based on feedback (enemy spawning portals now have a chance to automatically de-spawn every time they spawn an enemy, mimics are getting tells), all they need to do is make it so that using mods no longer disables achievements and unlocks and then everybody could just play how they like.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Useless posted:

I see, the Darkest Dungeon approach. It's weird because Dark Souls is a "hard game for hardcore people" or something, but even players who don't jerk off to getting murdered every three seconds by bullshit or fighting a boss that's near impossible for them can pick it up, play it and eventually win with some effort. Some bosses are harder than others, but unless you're investing all your stat points into a useless stat like resistance and you literally never learn how to play the game in any way, then you can still have a chance to, as they say "git gud" and win. But games like this the newer isaac stuff and Darkest Dungeon just seem to be unfairly hard for the sake of being unfairly hard. Did you do everything right, learn the mechanics and do your best? Well, you're still going to lose because the game just gave you a bad roll. Have fun with that and time to restart from scratch while everyone still tells you to just get good at the game.

Guy Mann posted:

It goes both ways, a lot of the super hardcore high-level players are also mad because some of the stuff they use to cheese the game has been neutered. It definitely has its problems but they've at least been making an effort to fix it based on feedback (enemy spawning portals now have a chance to automatically de-spawn every time they spawn an enemy, mimics are getting tells), all they need to do is make it so that using mods no longer disables achievements and unlocks and then everybody could just play how they like.

Disabling achivements is really annoying and it makes me way more irritated than it should when a game does it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Unfortunately, its basically completely unused, and you spend very little time there. Its very obvious that Altissa had a bunch of content cut from it.

Hopefully some of the DLC stuff expands on it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It seems really big but it really only has the triple-EXP hotel, the Arena, the expensive restaurant, and a few shops here and there before you get thrust into the point of no return for the area. You can always come back later, but you'll only really use the hotel, arena, and restaurant.

Pretty much everything from then onwards is an on-rails plot line to the end game, but once you beat the game you just get the whole map to explore at your leisure with some new things unlocked, so unless you want to wait and see if future patches add more content to those zones, I'd suggest just blazing to the end and then playing with the new toys and areas you can get to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate that the trailer for Hitman's boxed edition makes absolutely no bones about how loving up and learning is part of the process, without being PREPARE TO DIE poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Every non-perfect hitman run should be explained away by a framing device that he's planning the mission and mulling over each method and its consequences

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, instead of a load screen, just pull the camera back until it comes out the back of 47's head, in position for the next attempt.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

In Pokemon Sun and Moon they introduced a minor visual thing:

Enemy trainers now use Pokeballs aside from vanilla Pokeballs, such as this collector brandishing Premier Balls. As someone who typically only uses plain balls or premier balls for legendaries, this is something I love.
Also, aside from it being in his sprite, when he sends out his pokemon, you'll see the Premier Ball there, too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate that the trailer for Hitman's boxed edition makes absolutely no bones about how loving up and learning is part of the process, without being PREPARE TO DIE poo poo.

It's definitely an increase in professionalism over their last trailer, that looked like it was made by the loving chucklebrothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_6qXsOrK4

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's definitely an increase in professionalism over their last trailer, that looked like it was made by the loving chucklebrothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_6qXsOrK4

...how the ever loving gently caress did this pass me by. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

In Pokemon Sun and Moon they introduced a minor visual thing:

Enemy trainers now use Pokeballs aside from vanilla Pokeballs, such as this collector brandishing Premier Balls. As someone who typically only uses plain balls or premier balls for legendaries, this is something I love.
Also, aside from it being in his sprite, when he sends out his pokemon, you'll see the Premier Ball there, too.

There's also a bunch of different animations for throwing pokeballs depending on trainer class and personality, and you can unlock different battle styles.