Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Keep in mind that pushing the timeline to 3060-7 also opens up TR3055 and the Star League side of TR3058. I'm sure the pubbies will appreciate the Salamander's many LRM tubes, metawarriors will flock to the gausswall assaults, and goons will obviously drop in nothing but Penetrators.

Artificer posted:

Hell, how maneuverable is the Linebacker to the Stormcrow? Because if it's really close then yeah it basically IS a more heavily armored Stormcrow.

The Linebacker has the same problem as the Black Lanner: getting a Mech that heavy to move that fast means that the engine eats all of the mass you want for guns. The main reaction to it in tabletop is "Why would Clan Wolf make this when they created the Timber Wolf?"
Lanners don't eat up a heavy slot for the purpose of hunting down smaller mechs in the weeds, but since they're 55 tons they can't do their hunter-killer thing for scouting drops in CW either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Linebackers are kind of pointless imo, but they are incredibly scary if you get attacked by four brawler versions of them at once on a flank (which I haven't seen since after a week or so after their release.) When they swarm like that they're fast enough to run in, blast you apart, and withdraw before assistance can arrive if you do anything to even remotely isolate yourself. Even if you do have some friends respond they will usually be able to tear them up too with a favorable outcome for them as far as losses go.

Their biggest problem is that they're either weapon anemic or way too hot to sustain themselves in a fight. The mech is a brick of armor with a huge engine and no guns.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Doesn't it have the same amount of pod space as a Stormcrow?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
You know it just occurred to me -- clan UAC/20s are bad but if they include IS UAC/20s and they function like regular IS ACs they could be incredibly scary

Like imagine a Warhammer dropping 80-point bursts on you

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, two projectile UAC20s are a scary loving concept. Putting one in my Atlas if they end up like that.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Hexenritter posted:

Your pics are broken dude. I've been wanting to see what a multi-monitor setup for something like this looks like too, because I was one of the sad, deprived people who never got to experience the full cockpit Battletech game in the 90s.

And don't sign your posts.

edit: That looks pretty handy.

just lol if you don't set your game fov to 100

save yourself the $600

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I've had a triple monitor setup since long before this games release, it used to one of the few games where it was fun to play in an ultrawidescreen view. I've since moved house and now sit too close for it to be comfortable/practical. That said I just gave it a try again and it doesn't really even work for me anymore ( quality is utterly hideous on the left and right screens), might be a driver issue but whatever. What I did realise though is I went into training grounds to fart about and where the hell are the target practice mechs? Did they really change training ground since I last played that the dummy mechs don't show up on your map from the start and you have to stomp around and find them? Because that's dumb as gently caress, if I'm dropping on my own against target dummies i want to shoot the dummies not spend 3-4 minutes finding the loving things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

Nah, I'd say the issue is the amount of cash. New players shouldn't be forced into "consulting MetaMechs" because a grog with no life decided what the "optimal builds you should only ever use" is. That poo poo isn't fun and gently caress you for thinking people should only play those builds.

I

JFC did you even read what I wrote before you decided to get Internet outraged? I didn't say new players should have to consult metamechs. I said the current cbill newbie payout is sufficient if you go in knowing your game plan for building a good starter mech. The fact that you basically have to be a grog to know what's going on in this undocumented mess is the problem.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Drop on Tourmaline, there's an Atlas right next to your spawn. Plus it's a hot map so you get a better feel for your heat setup.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

If there were a way to drop in a build without paying for it first, that'd go a long way to solving some problems. Maybe a way to borrow a Mech from someone on your friends list. In a really limited way, obviously.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeepThrobble posted:

Keep in mind that pushing the timeline to 3060-7 also opens up TR3055 and the Star League side of TR3058. I'm sure the pubbies will appreciate the Salamander's many LRM tubes, metawarriors will flock to the gausswall assaults, and goons will obviously drop in nothing but Penetrators.

These builds already exist in MWO though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Doesn't it have the same amount of pod space as a Stormcrow?

No. The SCR has 22.8t, the LBK has 16.5t free.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Q_res posted:

If there were a way to drop in a build without paying for it first, that'd go a long way to solving some problems. Maybe a way to borrow a Mech from someone on your friends list. In a really limited way, obviously.

That's a really interesting idea, and would go a long way to helping new players. That means it'll never happen

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I hope triple strength myomer and superchargers are added. Having a mech that you redline to get performance would be the coolest thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Commoners posted:

I hope triple strength myomer and superchargers are added. Having a mech that you redline to get performance would be the coolest thing.

Superchargers are just MASC that damages your engine instead of your legs.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

JFC did you even read what I wrote before you decided to get Internet outraged? I didn't say new players should have to consult metamechs. I said the current cbill newbie payout is sufficient if you go in knowing your game plan for building a good starter mech. The fact that you basically have to be a grog to know what's going on in this undocumented mess is the problem.

I read what you wrote, internet outraged is just my posting style.

I still love you, Cyrano.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skoll posted:

I read what you wrote, internet outraged is just my posting style.

I still love you, Cyrano.

You should listen to him get internet outraged when i press the wrong button in shadowrun

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Man I was excited to get the Locust 1v but compared to the 1e and the PB I just cannot make it work.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Man I was excited to get the Locust 1v but compared to the 1e and the PB I just cannot make it work.

The new locust 1v is the spider 5k.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

The new locust 1v is the spider 5k.

It should still be good, no? If I can't be good at the Locust 1v's playstyle then I'm probably not going to do much better with the 5k.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Artificer posted:

It should still be good, no? If I can't be good at the Locust 1v's playstyle then I'm probably not going to do much better with the 5k.

He means, the Lolcust 1V requires patience and dedication. Find a place to become the ground, find a dipshit at 500m and core his rear end out before he even knows you are there. The 1v is a ninja, not a knifefighter.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

the Lolcust

typo now canon

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Locusts in general are at their most powerful right at the start of the match, where you can generally find one or two people isolated away from their team to murder horrifically. The 1V specializes in crossing the map on the nascar route to immediately start shooting the lance that is furthest back on the rotation. An example would be running across the right side of the map on mining collective.

Your effectiveness in the map will immediately plummet if you don't get people squirreling on you or kill an assault that got left behind at the start of the match. The 1V is good at four things- Murdering people who are trying to get to their team, murdering people who have isolated themselves from their team, getting people to chase after you to remove themselves from the fight, and killing off mechs with open internals. Once you hit mid match where deathballs have formed you are very unlikely to see any mechs meet these conditions, and generally only people who would've been useless anyway will break away from the deathball to chase you. Once the match has gone on a little bit and both sides have poked each other enough, that's when wounded mechs start being available. These guys with open internals will rotate to the rear of their deathball, which is where you need to be positioned to poke them until they die.

In the 1V after the first minute of the match you should be redlining your heat, and you should never hit minimum heat for the rest of the match. You only get so much heat over the duration of the match, and because of your weapons loadout you need to be firing for all of that available time to do the damage that your team needs you to do. If you are getting hosed up or chased by an angry mob it is okay to just run away and worry about piloting instead of shooting, because when multiple mechs squirrel after you they are out of the fight for the entire duration of time that they're chasing you. Staying alive with three mechs chasing you turns the fight into an 11v9 in your team's favor.

You're either running away or poking. There is no idle time in the 1V.

I wouldn't call it a ninja so much as I would call it the annoying little oval office mech. It pokes your butt until you turn around, and then vanishes, and then when you turn around again it starts poking your butt again. When you send your friends after it it runs away and starts poking them too, and if they stop chasing it it will turn around and start poking them again.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 15, 2017

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
hail lolcust

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cease to Hope posted:

I would probably turn this into a TMC article if TMC hadn't turned to poo poo, but here's Future Battletech Weapons In MWO. For reference, it's either 3052 or 3053 in MWO.

snip

Hey there. A lot has changed with org. TMC is dead. All hail Imperium News. The way everything is done there has totally changed, and I'd love to talk with you about making this into a proper article and showing people why there's something to be excited about with MWO at long last.

I know you don't have PMs/plat, but is there a way to talk that works with you? I'm on Discord and IRC, and would love to get some of the old MWO crew back onboard. :)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Hey there. A lot has changed with org. TMC is dead. All hail Imperium News.

Aware of the changes - although these posts are from before the changeover. My email is just ceasetohope at gmail but haven't really been of a mood to do free work lately.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I like it when locusts try to poke my butt and then my trashcan of dreams turns around with its legendary 360 degree switch and pokes them right back

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I like it when things poke my butt

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

What's the ideal Assault these days? I mostly played Centurions exclusively way back when the goon presence was high. Is the Cyclops any good?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think the Kodiak is generally accepted to be good?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

If you play it to its strengths I'd say that the kodiak is probably the strongest mech in the game right now, followed up by the night gyr.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I'm not space-rich enough for either of those, though I'm curious - what makes the Night Gyr amazing?

I was eyeing the Cyclops CP-10-Q for all those missile slots - to fill with SSRMs.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Does anyone have any thoughts on what Viper variant to pick up?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The "good" Vipers are the C (the one with the MG torsos) and the Medusa.

edit: Those are definitely air quotes...

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I've had fun with the Banshee 3E, you can fit 3 ac5s in it if you drop its engine.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

rincewind101 posted:

I'm not space-rich enough for either of those, though I'm curious - what makes the Night Gyr amazing?

I was eyeing the Cyclops CP-10-Q for all those missile slots - to fill with SSRMs.

It's a 75-tonner with an engine that lets it mount shitloads of ballistics, and it has good hardpoints snd hitboxes

You can do dual gauss/one PPC jumpsniping or max out on dakka

Also use 6srm6A and one SRM4A for that Cyclops. I have more 1K damage games in it than I think any other robot

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

rincewind101 posted:

god don't use SSRMs on a cyclops.

It's an OK SRM bomber, but the game has definitely moved mid-range. You can still brawl but it either takes a coordinated group or a lot of patience and being willing to spend half the match waiting for poo poo to close.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Pattonesque posted:

It's a 75-tonner with an engine that lets it mount shitloads of ballistics, and it has good hardpoints snd hitboxes

You can do dual gauss/one PPC jumpsniping or max out on dakka

Also use 6srm6A and one SRM4A for that Cyclops. I have more 1K damage games in it than I think any other robot

6 SRM6A and 1SRM4A - do you bother with MLs for the energy hardpoints?

edit:

Cyrano4747 posted:

god don't use SSRMs on a cyclops.

what would you use on a cyclops? hah - I've already gone and bought it

edit2: i forgot my acronyms. i just meant SRM. not streak SRM.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 16, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I feel like ttk is really really fast, sometimes making one mistake results in almost instant death. It means that nobody really wants to be the focus, so everyone sort of shuffles in and out of the line of fire and it doesn't feel very mechwarrior. I always thought that the job of assaults was to weather that focus fire so that the rest of their team can get a chance to shoot, but even the heaviest assaults get melted in seconds.

Basically I am not really having any fun, I was hoping for a lot more. Closed beta is still the best meta game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Phrosphor posted:

I feel like ttk is really really fast, sometimes making one mistake results in almost instant death. It means that nobody really wants to be the focus, so everyone sort of shuffles in and out of the line of fire and it doesn't feel very mechwarrior. I always thought that the job of assaults was to weather that focus fire so that the rest of their team can get a chance to shoot, but even the heaviest assaults get melted in seconds.

Basically I am not really having any fun, I was hoping for a lot more. Closed beta is still the best meta game.

I've been saying forever that all PGI really needs to do is double the armor and ammo values in their xml and this game is 100x better. Plus it slows down the cbill gain which was what PGI wanted when they nerfed cbill gains a while back without the psycological effect of feeling cheaped out that nerfing cbill gains had.

• Locked thread