Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can someone remind me something of a plot hook and the resolution of it? I can't remember when it happened in the game and just generally foggy.

It was one character, I think an Ascian handing another character a Crystal with both dragon eyes embedded into it, maybe they were both nidhogg's I'm not sure

Just trying to prep myself up for the next update

That happened right at the end of 3.4 so we haven't had a resolution to it yet. It was Elidibus handing Nidhogg's eyes over to the Griffin (because I guess we should have gone for a better displosal method than "Quick drop them right now!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Cool thanks! I went to the journal and just watched the last scene of every patch end chapter and apparently the latest msq must of had two.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

ActionZero posted:

That happened right at the end of 3.4 so we haven't had a resolution to it yet. It was Elidibus handing Nidhogg's eyes over to the Griffin (because I guess we should have gone for a better displosal method than "Quick drop them right now!").

That seemed like the dumbest loving idea even before the very next scene where they showed the Paladin of Darkness or whatever ACTUALLY loving WATCHING YOU DO THIS. The Lord of the Rings probably would've ended differently if on page one Gandalf has Frodo throw the ring in the trash and call it a day too.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
This is the what happens when you let poetic descriptions of mundane things run amok. They spent so many hundreds of years of calling the hole out front "The Abyss" that they completely forgot it's just a hole.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

ruta posted:

MCH is a great job in PvP at the moment. I personally think this guy is a bit nutty for even trying to suggest MCH and BRD have it tough with the range scaling, considering how strong they both are. But whatever. Try the job out! There will be other incentives to watch your range, anyways. Like, say, a DRG jumping on you or a MNK charging you. But it's good to get a feel for different roles in PvP. Frontlines doesn't match for roles, so you might be in a situation where it's best for the team for you to change jobs.

As far as PvP healers go, WHM is by far the strongest healer in PvP. They have great healing potency and a lot of CC, but they also have one of the most overpowered PvP abilities in the game: -40% physical damage taken, 100 potency hot, ground AoE that lasts 30 seconds. Since MCH/BRD are so overpowered at the moment, you don't actually encounter a whole lot of ranged casters, so most of your damage is going to be physical. It's an insanely powerful move that really can't be touched by anything an AST or SCH brings to the table. One thing to note, though, is that unlike PvE, WHM HoTs don't stack in PvP. So even if WHMs are very strong, you might not want to play one with another around. I suggest AST because SCH are bad.

PLDs are pretty good for PvP, by the way. They likely aren't getting kills, but they can shut down a healer which can make a kill for your team. Their stun locking and silences can be very powerful, and they're very hard to kill, so they're rarely targetted despite how much they can make a mess of enemy lines. And again, since most damage is physical, cover can be very useful.

I have been killed as a BLM in roughly two seconds flat by a BRD before. There was literally no time to react and nothing I could do. I'd really argue that they're too good at the moment due to sheer burst capability compared to every other class.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can someone remind me something of a plot hook and the resolution of it? I can't remember when it happened in the game and just generally foggy.

It was one character, I think an Ascian handing another character a Crystal with both dragon eyes embedded into it, maybe they were both nidhogg's I'm not sure

Just trying to prep myself up for the next update

Here's a recap video a friend linked me last night. Doesn't one-for-one explain stuff, but it is a good reminder of what all went down

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How do dragons do in pvp? Seems like they have pretty good burst potential...

It's that or BLM for me. Probably. I could try and level BRD or SMN too but they're both like ~25.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ActionZero posted:

That was so stupid. How could we consider that to be a viable solution in any way?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

It's the same loving scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXJeSTsnm70

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SonicRulez posted:

That was so stupid. How could we consider that to be a viable solution in any way?

The impression I got was that it was a solution of necessity, not desire. IE, they needed to ditch the goddamn eyes right now because they were lucky to get them out of Estinien in the first place and there was no guarantee they wouldn't possess someone else shortly thereafter, especially since they were together in one place.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Eopia posted:

Can you explain why Monk is so great? I've been playing Dragoon in pvp but I do have Monk leveled and am in the middle of gearing it up.

Fist of Earth, basically.

Monks burst availability is high, they do great damage as long as they keep up Gl3, and a lot of their not-useful-in-pve abilities take on a lot of new, powerful meaning in pvp. Enhanced featherfoot, enhanced second wind, enhanced mantra, and one ilm punch are all excellent skills. 1IP especially is good for shutting down the burst of other players. Nothing like ripping a Berserk off a warrior with 18 seconds left and watching the pacify pop up. Same thing with somersaulting a Machinist or Bard and ripping off Raging, Hawk's Eye, and Rapid Fire/Barrage. Internal Release is also very powerful when the primary type of damage you want is burst. Works well for monk since you just pop IR + dump all of your oGCDs on someone's head and watch them die.

You can also solo healers in feast in 4v4 very easily assuming people don't stun DR them because Steel Peak and Shoulder tackle are excellent stuns.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
THe beginnings of a meta are creeping into 8v8 and I don't like it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

The impression I got was that it was a solution of necessity, not desire. IE, they needed to ditch the goddamn eyes right now because they were lucky to get them out of Estinien in the first place and there was no guarantee they wouldn't possess someone else shortly thereafter, especially since they were together in one place.

Also the idea that someone is going to go to the bottom of that ravine to retrieve the eyes for nefarious ends is probably pretty low on your list of potential outcomes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Fist of Earth, basically.

Monks burst availability is high, they do great damage as long as they keep up Gl3, and a lot of their not-useful-in-pve abilities take on a lot of new, powerful meaning in pvp. Enhanced featherfoot, enhanced second wind, enhanced mantra, and one ilm punch are all excellent skills. 1IP especially is good for shutting down the burst of other players. Nothing like ripping a Berserk off a warrior with 18 seconds left and watching the pacify pop up. Same thing with somersaulting a Machinist or Bard and ripping off Raging, Hawk's Eye, and Rapid Fire/Barrage. Internal Release is also very powerful when the primary type of damage you want is burst. Works well for monk since you just pop IR + dump all of your oGCDs on someone's head and watch them die.

You can also solo healers in feast in 4v4 very easily assuming people don't stun DR them because Steel Peak and Shoulder tackle are excellent stuns.

As a counterpoint don't you lose something like 25-30% potency in a burst if you can't land positionals?

I assume two melee fighting each other is just a constant dance to get behind the other one

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 15, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is true, yes, but why didn't we go dispose of them more permanently afterwards? It's not like we had pressing business to take care of at that point.

It might be worth it though, because we'll probably get to hear Alisaie chew Alphinaud out over it in 3.5 or 4.0.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

As a counterpoint don't you lose something like 25-30% potency in a burst if you can't land positionals?

I assume two melee fighting each other is just a constant dance to get behind the other one

You can and will kill people very often without ever landing a positional or caring about it. It's nice to hit them outside of Enliven (A PVP ability that removes positional requirements on a significant cooldown), but not necessary. Monk oGCD damage is incredible.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 15, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ruta posted:

MCH is a great job in PvP at the moment. I personally think this guy is a bit nutty for even trying to suggest MCH and BRD have it tough with the range scaling, considering how strong they both are. But whatever. Try the job out! There will be other incentives to watch your range, anyways. Like, say, a DRG jumping on you or a MNK charging you. But it's good to get a feel for different roles in PvP. Frontlines doesn't match for roles, so you might be in a situation where it's best for the team for you to change jobs.

As far as PvP healers go, WHM is by far the strongest healer in PvP. They have great healing potency and a lot of CC, but they also have one of the most overpowered PvP abilities in the game: -40% physical damage taken, 100 potency hot, ground AoE that lasts 30 seconds. Since MCH/BRD are so overpowered at the moment, you don't actually encounter a whole lot of ranged casters, so most of your damage is going to be physical. It's an insanely powerful move that really can't be touched by anything an AST or SCH brings to the table. One thing to note, though, is that unlike PvE, WHM HoTs don't stack in PvP. So even if WHMs are very strong, you might not want to play one with another around. I suggest AST because SCH are bad.

PLDs are pretty good for PvP, by the way. They likely aren't getting kills, but they can shut down a healer which can make a kill for your team. Their stun locking and silences can be very powerful, and they're very hard to kill, so they're rarely targetted despite how much they can make a mess of enemy lines. And again, since most damage is physical, cover can be very useful.

I mostly think it's incredibly dumb to have an obfuscated mechanic that affects performance of two classes, not necessarily that either of them are incredibly bad. I feel that it's just not the right way to balance them for PvP, and was incredibly worse before the WM/GB changes. It's only up to 30% beyond the ideal range now, but for a while it was still the same scaling towards 60% or so that occurs without it in both directions. Sweet Spot would be fine if there was any indicator of where it is and how its affecting you vs your current target, or that it even affected Machinist at all since they don't have Far Shot to clue them in that it's a thing for them.

Also yeah Paladin is pretty sweet in PvP because you can do a lot to disrupt the other team while shrugging off almost everything they throw at you or just outright being ignored. You can also throw 25% Vulnerability on someone as a tank. So if you have the ability to control traffic, you can cause someone to just be erased.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 15, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mymla posted:

This is true, yes, but why didn't we go dispose of them more permanently afterwards? It's not like we had pressing business to take care of at that point.

It might be worth it though, because we'll probably get to hear Alisaie chew Alphinaud out over it in 3.5 or 4.0.

Probably a combination of thinking nobody untrustworthy knew what happened to them (whoops) and not knowing a reliable method of permanently destroying them anyway. Also they'd have to maphack to get down there and Alph doesn't want to get banned if a GM catches him.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

The Aery/Final Steps of Faith was merely a setback

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I'm going to be a madman by having my first piece of content in the patch be the new raid

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

Probably a combination of thinking nobody untrustworthy knew what happened to them (whoops) and not knowing a reliable method of permanently destroying them anyway. Also they'd have to maphack to get down there and Alph doesn't want to get banned if a GM catches him.

You could have just ate them like the original Thordan did and become a god.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Alphinaud eat the eyes

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Obligatum VII posted:

I have been killed as a BLM in roughly two seconds flat by a BRD before. There was literally no time to react and nothing I could do. I'd really argue that they're too good at the moment due to sheer burst capability compared to every other class.

I think this is part of why BRD/MCH is so powerful; they kind of sneak up on you with their high potency moves because their attacks aren't that showy. They do have set-up, but most people don't notice it until it's too late. I actually think this is also part of why MNKs are so strong, too, as well as all the stuff already highlighted. Any damage dealer in PvP has to make it not super obvious that they're about to drop their 300-400 potency moves in quick succession on the target, or that target is going to get the gently caress out. It's harder for BLM to do this, because fire 3 is a showy spell. Fortunately, crystals are a good target for your setup. If you don't have things in your favour as BLM, you should probably just be casting lightning on targets and biding your time. It's not at all showy, and you want thundercloud procs. Fire 4 + instant thunder 3 + phantom dart is basically a kill on any target. Instant fire 3s are strong, too. It isn't the easiest job to play in PvP, though, definitely something you can have fun with.

Thumbtacks posted:

How do dragons do in pvp? Seems like they have pretty good burst potential...

It's that or BLM for me. Probably. I could try and level BRD or SMN too but they're both like ~25.

Dragoons are good in PvP, but not as good as MNK. They have high burst potential with their Life Surge + Full Thrust + all their oGCDs, two stuns and two distance closers that are easy to use. They're not quite as tanky as MNKs, but they do have Elusive Jump, which is a great out because it removes slows and binds. As any melee, remember that you should really only go in for a short period of time. If you don't get your kill with your FT combo + oGCD, you should probably get out, unless the numbers are very much in your favour, or you have a good healer friend.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So guys I played FFXI for maybe a year around the time WoG came out. I played as a RDM/BLM mostly and while I did have fun I quit when it felt too much like a job. I'm going to list a few complaints I had with it and my purpose in this is that I'm getting an itch to try XIV. I am curious whether I should bother or whether many of my complaints are more "general MMO" and so I shouldn't.

- leveling slog was bad. I know as a RDM I'm probably the worst class to bitch about that. I remember so many nights with a flag up waiting for hours to get an invite only to wait another hour for a full group and then of course some idiot forgot his favorite weapon and we get delayed. Once at camp we maybe get a good hour in before someone has to leave and more waiting. I felt like I spent a ton of time waiting to level.

- one thing I did while with my flag up was farming crap. I lost track of how much time I wasted farming fresh mugwort to sell on the market. It was really one of the few things I could do for gil and even that was horrible. Thank god it was rarely competitive to farm.

- Which kind of brings me to how you basically had no chance being solo in a lot of areas worth your time.

- Unless I subbed NIN which I hated leveling. NIN was boring and lame to me and I really didn't like how the community essentially forced people into it if you're a RDM. I subbed BLM which likely screwed me out of parties.

I quit just before my first Maat fight and so I never experienced endgame content. Not even in the vanilla. I know XIV is apparently a lot more solo friendly which is a huge improvement if I can reliably level solo.

If the economy is not nearly as restrictive that'd be even better.

I appreciate y'all putting up with this negative post bitching about XI. Thanks for any insight y'all can provide.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

So guys I played FFXI for maybe a year around the time WoG came out. I played as a RDM/BLM mostly and while I did have fun I quit when it felt too much like a job. I'm going to list a few complaints I had with it and my purpose in this is that I'm getting an itch to try XIV. I am curious whether I should bother or whether many of my complaints are more "general MMO" and so I shouldn't.

- leveling slog was bad. I know as a RDM I'm probably the worst class to bitch about that. I remember so many nights with a flag up waiting for hours to get an invite only to wait another hour for a full group and then of course some idiot forgot his favorite weapon and we get delayed. Once at camp we maybe get a good hour in before someone has to leave and more waiting. I felt like I spent a ton of time waiting to level.

- one thing I did while with my flag up was farming crap. I lost track of how much time I wasted farming fresh mugwort to sell on the market. It was really one of the few things I could do for gil and even that was horrible. Thank god it was rarely competitive to farm.

- Which kind of brings me to how you basically had no chance being solo in a lot of areas worth your time.

- Unless I subbed NIN which I hated leveling. NIN was boring and lame to me and I really didn't like how the community essentially forced people into it if you're a RDM. I subbed BLM which likely screwed me out of parties.

I quit just before my first Maat fight and so I never experienced endgame content. Not even in the vanilla. I know XIV is apparently a lot more solo friendly which is a huge improvement if I can reliably level solo.

I appreciate y'all putting up with this negative post bitching about XI. Thanks for any insight y'all can provide.

Basically none of your complaints are relevant to FFXIV. It's a very different game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
14 is really not like 11 in any of those ways.

Leveling is super easy on any class and there are dozens of options available outside of big daily bonus things called duty roulettes where you get dungeons/trials you're qualified for at random.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay wait you do need specific "sub jobs" for given jobs, but that's because there's a limited amount of cross-class skills you can equip, and an even smaller amount that are actually useful. And most of the skills you want are below level 15 in the class anyway. (Except Swiftcast, which is at 2...6?)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zereth posted:

Okay wait you do need specific "sub jobs" for given jobs, but that's because there's a limited amount of cross-class skills you can equip, and an even smaller amount that are actually useful. And most of the skills you want are below level 15 in the class anyway. (Except Swiftcast, which is at 2...6?)

And that's going to be even less relevant in stormsblood because they're going to make certain mandatory crossclass things (like provoke) universal.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zereth posted:

In what sense? I guess of all my complaints about XI that would be the lowest and certainly mitigated if it wasn't horrible to level. I just didn't enjoy playing as NIN and it was frustrating that the community was wanting me to spend a lot of time suffering through it to level my RDM which I enjoyed. I had my refresh/haste cycle DOWN :-p.

If every main has a "preferred" sub that's not a deal breaker for me. I am more concerned about not having fun. So much of XI was doing unfun crap to do fun things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gain about two levels a day through casual play so far (significantly more early on, naturally) and it never overly feels like a grind except for the brief period I had to swap over to another class to get white mage and even then it was about an hour tops.

It may change later on but considering I'm ~45 now and it hasn't really slowed down at all it doesn't have much longer to get worse.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Zereth posted:

Swiftcast at THM26, Provoke at GLD22, Blood for Blood at LNC34, Quelling Strikes at ARC34, Stoneskin at CNJ34, Eye for an Eye at ACN34, Mercy Stroke at MRD26.

And people ask why I bitch so much about cross-class skills.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

In what sense? I guess of all my complaints about XI that would be the lowest and certainly mitigated if it wasn't horrible to level. I just didn't enjoy playing as NIN and it was frustrating that the community was wanting me to spend a lot of time suffering through it to level my RDM which I enjoyed. I had my refresh/haste cycle DOWN :-p.

If every main has a "preferred" sub that's not a deal breaker for me. I am more concerned about not having fun. So much of XI was doing unfun crap to do fun things.

There's not a sub-job system in the same sense that FFXI had, instead you just grab a few select skills from other classes. But yeah, FFXIV doesn't have any "waiting for hours to get a leveling party" stuff. The most efficient ways to level are in 4 player instanced content, either dungeons or Palace of the Dead, which you can just queue for.

Also most of your exp to get to 60 on your first class will probably come from the main story quest. There were a couple gaps where I had to level up while doing the story, but they were rare and brief.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

The only thing you get from cross classes is abilities, and you only have a limited selection to choose from. Each job has 3-5 cross class abilities that are good, and the rest are useless or marginally useful, and most of them are acquired by leveling up the class that is required to unlock your job. It's not as complicated as you think.

My advice is to trust people when they say this is nothing like 11 and go into it without any preconceptions. Give the free trial a shot and you'll see.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

JetsGuy posted:

Each class has a 'secondary'. Once your class is at 30 and the secondary is at 15 you get a job stone that buffs your stats and let's you use job-only abilities. For example, thaumaturge's secondary is archer and the corresponding job is black mage. You also get 5 cross-class abilities drawn from a pool of 7, determined by your job, but most of the useful cross-class abilities are super low level so it's not a pain to get them. The highest I can think of is Quelling Strikes at 34, which is only essential in midcore raiding.

All jobs can solo, especially once you get your combat chocobo at 30. Your second (and third and...) jobs don't get quest XP but you get a significant bonus to mob XP on any job lower than your highest so it winds up actually being faster.

Gil is a nonissue except if you want to play dressup, get rare minions, do hardcore crafting/gathering, or do hardcore raiding.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The highest is Mantra which requires PGL 42, but it's also pretty far down the list in terms of useful CC abilities.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm going to be a madman by having my first piece of content in the patch be the new raid

This is the best choice. 6AM patch day Syrcus, WoD, Void Ark, and Mhach have been some of the best poo poo i've ever seen. Seeing Xande spawn 10 yellow balls and everyone going Soooooo what do we d-BOOM, is a feeling you can only get on a day 1 first hour run.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Skaw posted:

I mostly think it's incredibly dumb to have an obfuscated mechanic that affects performance of two classes, not necessarily that either of them are incredibly bad. I feel that it's just not the right way to balance them for PvP, and was incredibly worse before the WM/GB changes. It's only up to 30% beyond the ideal range now, but for a while it was still the same scaling towards 60% or so that occurs without it in both directions. Sweet Spot would be fine if there was any indicator of where it is and how its affecting you vs your current target, or that it even affected Machinist at all since they don't have Far Shot to clue them in that it's a thing for them.

Also yeah Paladin is pretty sweet in PvP because you can do a lot to disrupt the other team while shrugging off almost everything they throw at you or just outright being ignored. You can also throw 25% Vulnerability on someone as a tank. So if you have the ability to control traffic, you can cause someone to just be erased.

Wait, the scaling is *both ways*?

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas,

JetsGuy posted:

Everything you are talking about directly stems from FFXI being itself.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 15, 2017

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
My favourite moment from patch day dungeons was the first time reaching Mega Death in Weeping City and the entire raid just keeling over at once. Reactions were great too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

You can straight up only take abilities from two other classes. One of these you have to level up to 15 to unlock your Job, which is a straight up upgrade, you don't need to level up Warrior separately from Marauder, and in fact can't.

Importantly, you get a large bonus to XP for classes lower level than your highest one, and there's some stuff you can do near Aleport that'll give you a ring that gives you a bonus on top of that for classes under 30 if it's equipped. So leveling up other classes for cross-class skills is fairly easy.

Saigyouji posted:

My favourite moment from patch day dungeons was the first time reaching Mega Death in Weeping City and the entire raid just keeling over at once. Reactions were great too.
I managed to survive because I remembered FF10. Felt great.

Patch day raids are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Zereth posted:

I managed to survive because I remembered FF10. Felt great.

Patch day raids are amazing.

I remember just typing in "gently caress IT'S YUNALESCA" hit followed by at least half the raid following up with groaning and WHY YOSHIP?

• Locked thread