Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should demo how safe they are by accidentally dropping it on the way to quickly depressurize it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is it a stovetop model? Mine is an electric. Set it and forget it.
Yup, it's just a heavy aluminum pot with a lid that seals on (with an O-ring that's still intact). It's got to be at least 30 years old, possibly 40 or more. My mom gave it to me when I moved into my own apartment, it was old then.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

When you do an oversized amount you should let it depressurize on its own instead of manually releasing the pressure, it's slower but cleaner and safer.

Good call. It'll just lose pressure gradually with the heat off and valve shut?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why is boiling so much worse for stock than simmering, anyway? If pressure cookers work it can't be the temperature, is it something about the bubbles agitating things that messes it up?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Ferret King posted:

Good call. It'll just lose pressure gradually with the heat off and valve shut?

Yup. Hell, I made some chicken stew tonight in my instant pot and let it depressurize on its own because it was a little over full and it came out fine. It will take quite a while to depressurize, mine took at least half an hour so for things where the cooking time is more sensitive you want to use the fast release instead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The agitation from boiling causes fat and albumin proteins to be emulsified into the stock, supposedly contributing to inferior taste and greasiness. I haven't done side by side taste tests myself but it's definitely cloudier and never unclouds.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 16, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Enourmo posted:

Why is boiling so much worse for stock than simmering, anyway? If pressure cookers work it can't be the temperature, is it something about the bubbles agitating things that messes it up?
I may be wrong, but here's my view on that.

I think it mainly became conflated with stews in general, which would render meat overtoughand vegetables mush if boiled. Since there's no meat chunks and poo poo to be eaten it shouldn't matter for stock.
Boiling can also make it hard to skim off the fats and general scum that floats. Who gives a poo poo about clear stock? Filter a bit at the end and it'll be fine for 99% of home cookery. There's also the fat emulsion that makes things taste not as distinct, boiling is basically like a whisk..
The degree difference between simmering and boiling is something like 15-20 degrees - I don't know enough science to say whether that allows for more 'flavor compounds' to be released and muddle the desired flavor, seems likely though. I do know if you have vegetables and poo poo in there it really dulls the individual flavor profiles.

A pressure cooker's pressure also allows for a much meatier profile since the bones have a lot more flavor poo poo pushed out from them.

I don't think boiling 'messes things up' as much as it changes the profile of flavor. I've seen lots of southeast Asian soups that call for boiled prep.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
My spouse's boss is coming to dinner and I find myself suddenly living in a 1950s sitcom.

He eats ground beef and chicken but no whole cuts of meat and no other animals, vegetables, pasta (gluten-free only) and dairy products. I think legumes are OK but I'm not positive, and gluten-free grains like rice should be fine too. He rejects dishes with identifiable egg but is not allergic to eggs as an ingredient. I'm a boring person who has a boring repertoire of recipes, so I'm taking this as a chance to cook something interesting and delicious, but I don't know what. I would love some ideas for fancy, tasty, boss-appropriate recipes, if anyone has any!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dogfish posted:

My spouse's boss is coming to dinner and I find myself suddenly living in a 1950s sitcom.

He eats ground beef and chicken but no whole cuts of meat and no other animals, vegetables, pasta (gluten-free only) and dairy products. I think legumes are OK but I'm not positive, and gluten-free grains like rice should be fine too. He rejects dishes with identifiable egg but is not allergic to eggs as an ingredient. I'm a boring person who has a boring repertoire of recipes, so I'm taking this as a chance to cook something interesting and delicious, but I don't know what. I would love some ideas for fancy, tasty, boss-appropriate recipes, if anyone has any!

He doesn't eat vegetables? :psyduck:

Can you make, like, vegetable-free chicken curry or something? Could you slice a steak as though he were a four year old?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd make (gluten-free) spaghetti with meatballs unless tomato is also a no no.

Also my condolences to your SO, their boss sounds like a child.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
maybe tamales? What does this guy eat on a normal basis? I hope he's got some disease because that's a weird as hell diet for a normal human being.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Drifter posted:

He doesn't eat vegetables? :psyduck:

Can you make, like, vegetable-free chicken curry or something? Could you slice a steak as though he were a four year old?

No no, he DOES eat vegetables. I know: it's the opposite of the usual picky eater, and the sentence was perhaps worded confusingly. He eats: ground beef and chicken but no whole cuts of meat and no other animals; vegetables; pasta (gluten-free only); dairy products. Maybe legumes, probably gluten-free grains.

My personal opinions on grown adults who have a list of edible items that can be counted on one hand aside, I would like to be hospitable and provide a great meal, and I'm also looking forward to the challenge since I'm home on medical leave from pregnancy complications and bored as hell.

edit: Tamales are a cool idea! I've never made them before. His daily diet is pretty much plain pasta with plain tomato sauce. Sometimes salad or other raw vegetables. He's an interesting character.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been making short ribs in my slow cooker kinda-sorta inspired by pot-au-feu. I dump in chopped onions and celery, baby carrots, a satchel of herbs, and a few short ribs, add 3-4 cups of chicken stock (enough to cover everything in the pot, usually up to the brim), and cook for 7-8 hours on high. I'm kinda thinking of figuring out a different recipe to use for slow cooking though, cause this one's kinda dull without some dijon to put on the short ribs.

I see videos out there of slow cooker recipes, and when they slow cook meat, they usually put the meat in dry or with maybe a cup of water in there. I thought slow cooking meant a moist heat? Don't you have to basically cover the meat with water all the way? I didn't think I could just put browned cubes of meat in the slow cooker by themselves and have them cook properly instead of just burning or something.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dogfish posted:

tell your spouses boss to get hosed

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I've been making short ribs in my slow cooker kinda-sorta inspired by pot-au-feu. I dump in chopped onions and celery, baby carrots, a satchel of herbs, and a few short ribs, add 3-4 cups of chicken stock (enough to cover everything in the pot, usually up to the brim), and cook for 7-8 hours on high. I'm kinda thinking of figuring out a different recipe to use for slow cooking though, cause this one's kinda dull without some dijon to put on the short ribs.

I see videos out there of slow cooker recipes, and when they slow cook meat, they usually put the meat in dry or with maybe a cup of water in there. I thought slow cooking meant a moist heat? Don't you have to basically cover the meat with water all the way? I didn't think I could just put browned cubes of meat in the slow cooker by themselves and have them cook properly instead of just burning or something.
If you put just meat into a slow cooker and ran it on high for 8 hours, yeah it might burn or otherwise be rather unpleasant.

My basic slow cooker recipe - which I did last Monday - is just a chopped onion, some chopped carrots, some chopped celery, and a bit of sliced garlic in the bottom of the crock, then the meat (in this case, about 2 pounds of discount beef sirloin tip roast, leave the string on). Last week I added 1/2 cup of liquid in the form of 1/4 cup red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup soy sauce, drizzled slowly on top of the roast in the hope that some would soak in, plus a couple of turnips chopped into roughly 1-inch pieces. Then 8 hours on LOW. I've also done the same thing but with just 1/4 cup of water or red wine or beer or no additional liquid at all. During cooking, the vegetables will release quite a bit of water and on Low my slow cooker gets hot enough to cook slowly (does what it says on the tin!) without burning anything. The top of the roast sometimes turns very dark, almost black, but I've never had anything actually burn even with 11+ hour cook times. With the lid on (don't run your cooker with the lid off) even a little thin layer of water in the bottom will evaporate and create moist heat (I'm pretty sure it's 100% humidity in there). There's a difference between moist and wet, after all.

The only recipes I've seen for slow cooking at HIGH all top out at 6 hours, or usually less, like 4. And the only recipes I've seen that call for enough liquid to cover the solid parts have been for soups / stews.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dogfish posted:

No no, he DOES eat vegetables. I know: it's the opposite of the usual picky eater, and the sentence was perhaps worded confusingly. He eats: ground beef and chicken but no whole cuts of meat and no other animals; vegetables; pasta (gluten-free only); dairy products. Maybe legumes, probably gluten-free grains.

My personal opinions on grown adults who have a list of edible items that can be counted on one hand aside, I would like to be hospitable and provide a great meal, and I'm also looking forward to the challenge since I'm home on medical leave from pregnancy complications and bored as hell.

edit: Tamales are a cool idea! I've never made them before. His daily diet is pretty much plain pasta with plain tomato sauce. Sometimes salad or other raw vegetables. He's an interesting character.
So you're saying he only eats beef or chicken cut into small chunks, any vegetables, any dairy, non-visible eggs, and gluten free things. So basically a gluten free loose vegetarian. That's not too bad.

You can make a nice quiche. A giant baked potato, of sorts. Keeping it close to his style you could make another pasta dish, like mushroom marsala with gluten free pasta or something along those lines. Berbere chicken shredded over creamy lentils/rice or something.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 16, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I don't think boiling 'messes things up' as much as it changes the profile of flavor. I've seen lots of southeast Asian soups that call for boiled prep.

Many Asian soups will call for a change of water. They count on the first boil to bring out most of the albumin proteins, dump that water out, then boil again with most of the proteins that would have clouded the soup removed.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Many Asian soups will call for a change of water. They count on the first boil to bring out most of the albumin proteins, dump that water out, then boil again with most of the proteins that would have clouded the soup removed.

Wouldn't this also give up a lot of the flavor when you discard the first boil? I guess if clarity is your goal that matters less...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yep.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ExecuDork posted:

If you put just meat into a slow cooker and ran it on high for 8 hours, yeah it might burn or otherwise be rather unpleasant.

My basic slow cooker recipe - which I did last Monday - is just a chopped onion, some chopped carrots, some chopped celery, and a bit of sliced garlic in the bottom of the crock, then the meat (in this case, about 2 pounds of discount beef sirloin tip roast, leave the string on). Last week I added 1/2 cup of liquid in the form of 1/4 cup red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup soy sauce, drizzled slowly on top of the roast in the hope that some would soak in, plus a couple of turnips chopped into roughly 1-inch pieces. Then 8 hours on LOW. I've also done the same thing but with just 1/4 cup of water or red wine or beer or no additional liquid at all. During cooking, the vegetables will release quite a bit of water and on Low my slow cooker gets hot enough to cook slowly (does what it says on the tin!) without burning anything. The top of the roast sometimes turns very dark, almost black, but I've never had anything actually burn even with 11+ hour cook times. With the lid on (don't run your cooker with the lid off) even a little thin layer of water in the bottom will evaporate and create moist heat (I'm pretty sure it's 100% humidity in there). There's a difference between moist and wet, after all.

The only recipes I've seen for slow cooking at HIGH all top out at 6 hours, or usually less, like 4. And the only recipes I've seen that call for enough liquid to cover the solid parts have been for soups / stews.

So does that mean the vegetables contribute to the amount of water? I get that there has to be some moistness in the cooker, naturally, but I wasn't aware of how much it needed to be or how much leeway I had. Is it typical to have a 1/4c-to-1lb meat ratio? How little liquid can I use, and if I have vegetables in there, does that mean I can use less?

I'm all curious about this since I really only came from cooking short ribs via pot au feu, and that's necessarily stew-y.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a good brand of tea that comes in pyramids or the like? I'm trying to find some decent non-blends, so no Teavana or something.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a good brand of tea that comes in pyramids or the like? I'm trying to find some decent non-blends, so no Teavana or something.

http://www.adagio.com/teabags/

Adagio's teabags are pyramids and their tea is great. The jasmine pearls are really good, but the golden yunnan might be more what you're looking for. It's a blend, but foxtrot is a good herbal tea. It's peppermint, chamomile, and some rooibos.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm considering giving someone a couple of pre-measured Indian Curry powder ingredients in baggies as part of a gift.

Two hiccups:

1.) I have never made Indian curry powder and I can't really find ~the best~ recipe.

2.) The recipient only has a mortar and pestle. Is that enough to pulverize things like a piece of cinnamon stick or cumin/star anise?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FaradayCage posted:

I'm considering giving someone a couple of pre-measured Indian Curry powder ingredients in baggies as part of a gift.

Two hiccups:

1.) I have never made Indian curry powder and I can't really find ~the best~ recipe.

2.) The recipient only has a mortar and pestle. Is that enough to pulverize things like a piece of cinnamon stick or cumin/star anise?

1) anything you could find online is better than what I can offer.
2) Morter and pestle is more than enough. However, some people own a M&P but don't like using them. maybe double check to make sure they actually use it, and if they don't really, buy them a cheap, small electric coffee grinder.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a recipe for a vegetarian and gluten-free stuffing? Vegan would be even better but I'm not sure the tradeoffs are worth it. Last time I cooked for this audience I did a cornbread stuffing with vegetarian sausage, and felt vast shame when one of my guests pointed out that the vegetarian sausage I used contained gluten. I was planning to try the same thing with something like Quorn or Hilary's vegetarian sausages, which are apparently gluten-free, but I thought one of you might have a better idea.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

imo buy a bunch of disposable tea bags, then get high quality tea looseleaf for decent prices.
https://www.amazon.com/T-Sac-Filter-Disposable-Infuser-Capacity/dp/B001BLCIN4

uptonteaimports.com has several samplers tins of darjeeling, ceylong, and assam so you can try a few different teas. For green tea I would find a local chinese tea house or something.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 16, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't have a question right now but I've been watching these cooking videos all day and they're amazing. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISr0vQhRhc

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In that case, how about making your SO's boss a hamburger soup? For the starch you can go with a baked, potato side dish. I'm not sure what to use for a veggie side, it all depends on what you use in the soup. Maybe corn or a side salad?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can anyone recommend a recipe for a vegetarian and gluten-free stuffing? Vegan would be even better but I'm not sure the tradeoffs are worth it. Last time I cooked for this audience I did a cornbread stuffing with vegetarian sausage, and felt vast shame when one of my guests pointed out that the vegetarian sausage I used contained gluten. I was planning to try the same thing with something like Quorn or Hilary's vegetarian sausages, which are apparently gluten-free, but I thought one of you might have a better idea.

How about using lentils as a replacement for ground beef?

http://be-it-ever-so-humble.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/how-to-substitute-lentils-for-ground.html

DPM fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 16, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

PG Tips is in pyramid bags, and it's a decent strong black tea, good with a little milk. I'm American, so for all I know, it could be the equivalent of burned coffee out of a percolator, but it's still way beyond Lipton or Tetley or anything like that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

C-Euro posted:

Anyone got any good stuffed pepper recipes? Wife gets random cravings for them a few times a year but every time I try to make them they always feel uninspired at best, and I usually don't enjoy eating them. And where's the fun in that?

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/roasted-poblanos-stuffed-with-chorizo-and-chayote/

These are really good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

While we're talking stock, what's the consensus on adding vegetable bits like carrot ends and tops, onion peels, leaves etc that you wouldn't normally eat?

I was watching a cooking show where they were visiting some restaurant, and the cook there just threw what looked like a pile of scraps in the pot they were making stock in. The host made a weird face like you're not supposed to do that, and I've heard adding those kinds of things will impart a bitter taste to your stock (which makes sense, you wouldn't eat stems and ends and peels).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

While we're talking stock, what's the consensus on adding vegetable bits like carrot ends and tops, onion peels, leaves etc that you wouldn't normally eat?

I was watching a cooking show where they were visiting some restaurant, and the cook there just threw what looked like a pile of scraps in the pot they were making stock in. The host made a weird face like you're not supposed to do that, and I've heard adding those kinds of things will impart a bitter taste to your stock (which makes sense, you wouldn't eat stems and ends and peels).

I do it and yes the stock is slightly different and can be very sightly bitter, but it's still delicious and good for generic applications.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Got a strange one and the internet is zero help.

I bought a bunch of good prawns from the fishmonger at the market on Saturday. I needed them to make a bunch of Vietnamese fresh rolls for a dinner party Sunday. But, due to a last-minute thing (traffic accident - they're okay now), a bunch of my friends couldn't make it. I had already peeled, de-veined, cleaned, and blanched the prawns, putting them in the fridge to cool them down in preparation for making the rolls. I made eight rolls, where I had expected to need about 24.

So, I have about 1.5 pounds of cleaned and blanched prawns in my refrigerator right now. They're medium-sized, and cut in half through the center bias. They have some salt on them, and a very small sprinkling of fresh lime juice. The lime juice isn't noticeable.

Obviously, I'd like to do _something_ with the $30 of really good prawns. I don't want to do a stir-fry because I made a "healthy" prawn stirfry earlier in this week that I'm literally munching on as I write this post. I'm trying to eat healthier, so while making an American fra diavolo is a possibility, I had enough noodles already and would prefer something else.

The internet has no answer for me - searching for "what to do with blanched shrimp / prawns" returns links on how to blanch prawns. And searching for "what to do with cooked shrimp / prawns" returns links on how to use frozen, pre-cooked shrimp (my answer: throw them out).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Freeze them, defrost and use them in shrimp rolls later. Just about all shrimp except live bait shrimp get iced if not completely frozen the boat anyway. It won't be as good, but they won't be ruined.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

So does that mean the vegetables contribute to the amount of water? I get that there has to be some moistness in the cooker, naturally, but I wasn't aware of how much it needed to be or how much leeway I had. Is it typical to have a 1/4c-to-1lb meat ratio? How little liquid can I use, and if I have vegetables in there, does that mean I can use less?

I'm all curious about this since I really only came from cooking short ribs via pot au feu, and that's necessarily stew-y.
In answer to your question: yes, the vegetables contribute to the amount of water in the crock at the end of cooking. That roast I did last week started out with 1/2c of liquid but ended with around 1.5c of water-with-melted-fat-and-chunks-of-carrots. I don't really know what the lower limit for added water is.

I had a quick look at some recipes on Allrecipes.com, and most of them seem to have at least one cup of water/broth/liquid for a 1-2 pound piece of beef.
For example: This one for Pepper Steak calls for 1/4c hot water plus a can of stewed tomatoes, with liquid, for a 2-pound sliced-up steak. Plus some soy sauce and some fairly wet vegetables (peppers, onion).

Meat contains a fair amount of water, most veggies have more on a per-unit-wet-weight basis, and many flavourings come as liquids (e.g. soy sauce) or are fairly wet (ketchup).

I haven't done a full set of experiments, I usually just throw things into the crock around a big lump of whatever-was-on-sale meat until it's full, then maybe pour in a little something, even if just to wash the pile of herbs perched on top down into a more useful place. My slow-cooker is a really low-effort kind of thing, when I feel like making a special or interesting meal I'll use my oven and stovetop in the evening. When I just want to come home to not having to cook tonight, I'll toss stuff into the slow cooker and arrive at work 10 minutes later than normal.

So my advice to you is also partly a request from my own laziness - find some recipes that look good to you, and give 'em a try. My basic approach - onions, carrots, celery, garlic under a chunk of meat, add some flavours and 1/2c of liquid if it looks dry-ish in there - works fine (for beef and pork roasts and similar cuts of meat, or turkey parts, or a whole chicken) but can get a little boring, especially when I have a long day at work (days I most want to just come home and eat over the sink and then collapse) and the cooker running for 12 hours turns everything the same boring shade of boring brown mushyness (get a timer). That still tastes OK (dumping horseraddish on after the fact helps), but I know there are better ways to do this.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So here's a dumb question, why does fudge stay good without refrigeration? My girlfriend and I recently made some and it was mostly just cream + sugar + chocolate. Does heating cream prevent it from going bad or something? Please forgive my dumbness

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Freeze them, defrost and use them in shrimp rolls later. Just about all shrimp except live bait shrimp get iced if not completely frozen the boat anyway. It won't be as good, but they won't be ruined.

I'd rather use them as they are, since freezing and re-thawing them won't help their flavor or texture.

Right now, my options are:

* Marcella Hazan's prawn "appetizer" (blanched prawns | very good olive oil | fresh lemon juice | salt)
* Vietnamese spring rolls (blanched prawns | rice vermicelli | mint | lettuce | carrot)
* Pasta fra Diavolo (prawns | garlic | San Marzanos | red pepper flakes | jalopeno | pasta)

Probably going to go with the first option since it's healthiest by far, and also incredibly simple now that i've cleaned 'em all. If anyone else has suggestions on things they'd do with a giant bowl of cleaned, blanched prawns, please let me know.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dogfish posted:

Taco salad?

Thursday Next posted:

I'd rather use them as they are, since freezing and re-thawing them won't help their flavor or texture.

Right now, my options are:

* Marcella Hazan's prawn "appetizer" (blanched prawns | very good olive oil | fresh lemon juice | salt)
* Vietnamese spring rolls (blanched prawns | rice vermicelli | mint | lettuce | carrot)
* Pasta fra Diavolo (prawns | garlic | San Marzanos | red pepper flakes | jalopeno | pasta)

Probably going to go with the first option since it's healthiest by far, and also incredibly simple now that i've cleaned 'em all. If anyone else has suggestions on things they'd do with a giant bowl of cleaned, blanched prawns, please let me know.

If it was me I'd sautee up a few shallots and some garlic in a good amount of butter then toss in the prawns and some red pepper slices briefly to cook, add some chopped parsley and then quench with some squeezes of fresh lemon and then serve on crostini topped with a little parmesan and black pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pollyanna posted:

It depends on the cut of meat. I drop in a pork shoulder with no liquid, and it comes out great. By the end there's a ton of liquid from the fat.