Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Honestly the switch could be a really good console for fighting games. Just because of the portability and the ability to prop up that screen anywhere makes the idea of bringing your console to a friends house or somewhere public a pretty easy and simple idea.

Yeah but you have to play with joycons which look even less practical than sideways wiimotes when it comes to fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

In Training posted:

A smash spin off that's a more traditional
1v1 fighting game would be cool

I want to see a four player Street Fighter instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPRcEBL20zE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Hoqf4jSoQ

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you want to go this route you should go straight to the good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIOCgruTkdY

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah but you have to play with joycons which look even less practical than sideways wiimotes when it comes to fighting games.

Joycons have a fairly traditional number of buttons for a controller, actually - same as the SNES controller, with 4 face and 2 shoulder buttons plus an analog stick.

Also "have to" is kind of a moot point bc Hori is making Switch arcade sticks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagine playing on a stick 100 times bigger than your console

punk rebel ecks posted:

Usf2 has 3 player

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I meant like Yuyu Hashinko on the MegaDrive. But more advanced.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

They should make a 4 person Street fighting with out footsies no combos and add characters from other games. Call super Street fighter brawl

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

NeoGeo games are confirmed. Anyway I think a Nintendo vs Capcom would be cool. Maybe Nintendo could pull a Bayonetta and have Sega create Virtual Fighter 6 exclusively to the Switch.

what if they're ports of dotemu steam ports :gonk:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mysterious loyall X posted:

they're the arcade archives releases, that whole line's coming to switch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

they're the arcade archives releases, that whole line's coming to switch

That's cool

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mysterious loyall X posted:

They're the Arcade Archives versions from Hamster which seem fine but don't have online play.

Sade posted:

Joycons have a fairly traditional number of buttons for a controller, actually - same as the SNES controller, with 4 face and 2 shoulder buttons plus an analog stick.

Also "have to" is kind of a moot point bc Hori is making Switch arcade sticks.

If you're going to carry around extra controllers for your handheld you may as well find a TV to corral around as well. Playing tabletop mode is a nice spur-of-the-moment/last resort option but noones going to take it seriously. Being able to spectate matches using Switch would be cool, I hope someone goes through with that.

My issue with the joycons isn't the button layout (although no d-pad certainly sucks), it's the size - that thing's loving tiny, the buttons are tiny, it's gonna be a pain to use for any length of time.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

regarding 4 player fighters Cerebrawl is a 2v2 tag game where each character's controlled by a different player, it's in extremely early access if you want to test it and the devs push an update weekly

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mintergalactic posted:

regarding 4 player fighters Cerebrawl is a 2v2 tag game where each character's controlled by a different player, it's in extremely early access if you want to test it and the devs push an update weekly

I have it and yes it's really good. But I was referring to having all four players out at once and duking it out.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have it and yes it's really good. But I was referring to having all four players out at once and duking it out.

isuka, my man

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wouldn't Switch setups make it even easier to steal poo poo?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Baal posted:

Wouldn't Switch setups make it even easier to steal poo poo?

i guess they have some posibilities either the consoles are all organized by the tourney with the tablet locked into the dock somehow or just docks will be provided and players will be expected to drop their console in and take it with them after the match

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

i guess they have some posibilities either the consoles are all organized by the tourney with the tablet locked into the dock somehow or just docks will be provided and players will be expected to drop their console in and take it with them after the match
Cons frequently have systems locked in boxes and secured, with extension cables/breakout boxes so you can use your own controller. I assume they'd have to do it like that?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Has a release date been set for Tekken 7 already? I thought it hadn't, but the amazon store page lists it as coming on 3/31:

http://a.co/f7fEpS0

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

giogadi posted:

Has a release date been set for Tekken 7 already? I thought it hadn't, but the amazon store page lists it as coming on 3/31:

That'd be a Friday so highly unlikely, at least on that specific day. There is still no date set for Tekken 7.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

giogadi posted:

That's almost certainly a filler date for Q1'2017. Amazon loves to do this kind of thing, I wouldn't put any stock into it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tekken 7 has been further delayed to prepare a Switch port, and then they'll delay it again to add a Scorpio port and a Microsoft Hololens version, and then Harada will die of old age and they'll skip to Tag 3.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

punk rebel ecks posted:

There's always Knuckle Heads.

...anyone else remember Knuckle Heads?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_l6hJ8t8YA

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, after a week or two of GG.

I'm struggling with IADs. I've managed to get a few off but I've no idea of how to do it consistently on my hitbox. The input seems to be 9, 8, 6 but Christ if that's not hard to do reliably.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

im guessing you mean 9, 5, 6? 8 makes no sense for iad

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 16, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm struggling with IADs. I've managed to get a few off but I've no idea of how to do it consistently on my hitbox. The input seems to be 9, 8, 6 but Christ if that's not hard to do reliably.

On hitbox your iad input would be like 6 hold 8 release both 6

That is, 9 5 6

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
gently caress double-tap dashes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AnonSpore posted:

On hitbox your iad input would be like 6 hold 8 release both 6

That is, 9 5 6

See this is what I thought, but every successful attempt showed an 8. gently caress it, more research tonight.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You just have to grind it out until you can do it

It took me a few hours to get it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IADs clicked for me when I just let the stick snap back to neutral during the jump and then hit forward, a motion I don't think is possible on hitbox. That's gonna be tricky to learn

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Smoking Crow posted:

You just have to grind it out until you can do it

It took me a few hours to get it

It's annoying because it's such a core component of Millia's game and BnB combos. Still even with much more basic stuff I'm winning and doing what I want to more consistently, so that's good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I mean based around a good game though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean based around a good game though.

You could always play Isuka :kheldragar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5yOI1QVwc

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

This is my favorite Isuka video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW89Se4oPPU

e: Jesus Christ both of those were uploaded over a decade ago what even is time

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Are IADs trickier on hitbox? In my head it seems like it should be simpler than on a stick but my buddy who also uses a hitbox also complains about the timing, so there must be something to it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I find the important things to remember about IAD is that the input is not nearly as fast as you think it is, and that the timing changes if you're doing it from neutral or from a jump cancel.

Millia IAD's after j.D are actually super easy to do and you have a ton of time to input them, most of the time when I mess them up it's because I did them way too fast.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress double-tap dashes.

giogadi posted:

Are IADs trickier on hitbox? In my head it seems like it should be simpler than on a stick but my buddy who also uses a hitbox also complains about the timing, so there must be something to it.

They're easy on keyboard, and I can't imagine a hitbox would be any different. Maybe even easier, depending on what keyboard layout you use.

It was a revelation to me the first time I tried to do them on a stick, though -- or more specifically, tried to do Sasquatch's shorthop on a stick because lmao, gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

giogadi posted:

Hitbox makes every input easier and faster than a stick. Is it worth the fun of playing on a stick or not being able to play at arcades? Not really