Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"See you tonight in your dreams..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

Switch stuff...

The three consoles you mentioned are going to output RGB + sync (which will be either an independent combined sync signal, or by using the sync information carred in the composite video signal).

You mention you have SCART cables for these consoles; do you also have SCART-to-BNC adapters for them, in order to hook them up to your switcher? That is what you would need to do, first (or get custom AV cables made for them that end in BNC connectors). The cables you have should all have their respective sync signals from the AV port routed to the same pin(s) on their SCART heads, especially if they all work with your SPECIALTY-AV box.

Then, I assume, you would use the wookieewin cable you linked on Ebay to run the RGB and sync signals from the switcher over a male SCART plug and into the female connector on your SPECIALTY-AV box. From there, the RGB + sync signal would be adapted into the YPbPr video signal that your TV uses.

To sum up, you would ideally need:

3x SCART-to-BNC adapters, one for each console you wish to hook up. You'd want the adapter to have a female SCART plug and male BNC connectors.

1x BNC-to-SCART adapter, to run from the switchbox output to your SCARt-to-component transcoder. You'd want this cable to have male BNC connectors and a male SCART plug.

Ideally, it would all work as-is, but you'd probably want to experiment with just one SCART-to-BNC adapter and see how each console works through it so far as the sync and output signal go. Some switches are kind of iffy about non-standard sync types that game consoles might output, so it'd be better to check that early before you get too :retrogames: into it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

To sum up, you would ideally need:

3x SCART-to-BNC adapters, one for each console you wish to hook up. You'd want the adapter to have a female SCART plug and male BNC connectors.

1x BNC-to-SCART adapter, to run from the switchbox output to your SCARt-to-component transcoder. You'd want this cable to have male BNC connectors and a male SCART plug.

Cool. I have SCART to BNC cables purchased from A Yolo Wizard a while back. I presume that Black BNC connector carries sync. I believe I should be able to connect these to the existing three console->SCART cables I have to make a console->bnc connector. I'm not a fan of that big bulge and extra connector in the middle but if it works its fine for now, and could always be swapped out later.

It looks like I already dumped enough :retrogames: that now I just need that one SCART Male to BNC Male! The one I linked to on ebay was just sorta the first one I saw, it seems like they've sold many so maybe it's ok. Going to grab said cable and report back.

A few days ago there was SCART switcher vs BNC switcher discussion, I really do think BNC is cheaper. There are several of these switchers on Ebay for double digits, at that price one could get console specific BNC cables (~$50/ea?) and still be cheaper than a nice SCART switch + cables.

Speaking of :retrogames:, my switcher plan doesn't leave room for a future Neo Geo purchase, dammit.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

Cool. I have SCART to BNC cables purchased from A Yolo Wizard a while back. I presume that Black BNC connector carries sync. I believe I should be able to connect these to the existing three console->SCART cables I have to make a console->bnc connector. I'm not a fan of that big bulge and extra connector in the middle but if it works its fine for now, and could always be swapped out later.

That black connector should be sync. I assume the connector block next to the BNC video connectors is some kind of audio breakout, which you might have to figure out how to adapt to a more common audio connector like headphone or RCA plugs if you want to hear audio.

falz posted:

It looks like I already dumped enough :retrogames: that now I just need that one SCART Male to BNC Male! The one I linked to on ebay was just sorta the first one I saw, it seems like they've sold many so maybe it's ok. Going to grab said cable and report back.

A few days ago there was SCART switcher vs BNC switcher discussion, I really do think BNC is cheaper. There are several of these switchers on Ebay for double digits, at that price one could get console specific BNC cables (~$50/ea?) and still be cheaper than a nice SCART switch + cables.

Speaking of :retrogames:, my switcher plan doesn't leave room for a future Neo Geo purchase, dammit.

Yeah, you should only need one (M) BNC to (M) SCART cable regardless, if you're outputting to a transcoder box. It would be attached to the RGB-labeled BNC connectors on the monitor out panel that (per the PDF you linked) should be on the right rear side of the switch, near the power plug socket.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

"See you tonight in your dreams..."

Oh snap, Qix had a sequel? What platform/s is it on?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Quiet Feet posted:

Look up the expose genre in MAME yo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

A sequel? Let me introduce you to the extended Qix mythos!

So Qix was quickly followed by Qix II the following year. It's the ignored Qix sequel because it's just about identical to the original Qix; they just added a couple of improvements that you might not even recognize.

Super Qix (which that was the arcade flyer for) added more monsters, power ups, and a variety of backgrounds. It got home ports under a variety of names: Volfied (PC Engine), Ultimate Qix (Genesis), and Qix Neo (PS1).

Taito had a relationship with the people who made the Simple budget line for the PS1 and they made a pair of special Qix sequels for it: Qix 2000 and Battle Qix (which also went under the name Twin Qix because this really can't be simple). These followed up the Gal's Panic model and had you uncover anime girls, though they never get naked. They also feature a competitive two player mode that I've been dying to try but can't get anyone to play it with me.

Meanwhile over on the GameBoy Color, Qix Adventure was released. You can take a guess what they changed in that one.

Finally, the PSP and Xbox Live Arcade got Qix++ which was a pretty good extension of the Qix game play. It does look exactly like a puzzle game from 2009, however.

I think I may settle in and play Qix Adventure since I was casting around for something to do...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

So Qix was quickly followed by Qix II the following year. It's the ignored Qix sequel because it's just about identical to the original Qix; they just added a couple of improvements that you might not even recognize.

Super Qix (which that was the arcade flyer for) added more monsters, power ups, and a variety of backgrounds. It got home ports under a variety of names: Volfied (PC Engine), Ultimate Qix (Genesis), and Qix Neo (PS1).

Taito had a relationship with the people who made the Simple budget line for the PS1 and they made a pair of special Qix sequels for it: Qix 2000 and Battle Qix (which also went under the name Twin Qix because this really can't be simple). These followed up the Gal's Panic model and had you uncover anime girls, though they never get naked. They also feature a competitive two player mode that I've been dying to try but can't get anyone to play it with me.

Meanwhile over on the GameBoy Color, Qix Adventure was released. You can take a guess what they changed in that one.

Finally, the PSP and Xbox Live Arcade got Qix++ which was a pretty good extension of the Qix game play. It does look exactly like a puzzle game from 2009, however.

I think I may settle in and play Qix Adventure since I was casting around for something to do...

Jesus. :stare:

I only recently discovered Qix after grabbing a handful of bargain bin GB carts at a flea market last year. Ended up playing the hell out of it on my GBA when I was recovering from hernia surgery in October and I'm super happy to hear there's more.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A Silicon Graphics enthusiast got his hands on a bunch of old SGI workstations from Acclaim/Iguana Entertainment and has been slowly poring over them - he's still on one machine, as far as I know, but he's already unearthed lots of stuff including several pitch documents for various South Park games, their old motion capture software and most notably, the complete source code to the original Turok N64 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEy_ybKWsg

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Look up the expose genre in MAME yo

Why do I have the feeling that this was one of those things that didn't catch on in most places but was super big in Japan?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Quiet Feet posted:

Why do I have the feeling that this was one of those things that didn't catch on in most places but was super big in Japan?

See the aforementioned Gals' Panic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Qix was definitely a minor arcade hit even in the US. But even in Japan it seems to have faded into the background and never gotten much traction after that despite the series having some dedicated fans.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

So uh where does Cacoma Knight in Bizyland fit into this??? I'm assuming rip off but I'm bowing to the Qix expert here.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A Silicon Graphics enthusiast got his hands on a bunch of old SGI workstations from Acclaim/Iguana Entertainment and has been slowly poring over them - he's still on one machine, as far as I know, but he's already unearthed lots of stuff including several pitch documents for various South Park games, their old motion capture software and most notably, the complete source code to the original Turok N64 game:

This and the rest of his Twitter are rad as hell. Thank you for posting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

So uh where does Cacoma Knight in Bizyland fit into this??? I'm assuming rip off but I'm bowing to the Qix expert here.

One of many, many Qix clones that exist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Love looking through legit game source code so this is awesome news, thanks!

Also really makes me nostalgic for my SGIs. I should dig them out of my parents' basement.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

cosmicjim posted:

I picked a multicade dirt cheap because it's not working right.
It's a Global Arcade Classics machine.
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_medium/0/2164/2103575-global_arcade_classics.jpg
It has 80 games and what looks like a primitive version of hyperspin.

It's got a pc in it running JoshuaOS.
When you power it on, it starts the boot process, then starts loading the software and then the pc shuts off. If I turn it back on it does the same thing even sooner. It's as if it is overheating. It has onboard video and all of the fans are running. It seems to be a pentium four.I took it out of the cab and hooked it to another monitor and changed the power supply and got the same results. I don't have another cpu to try.

I'm leaning toward upgrading the computer anyways.
Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do for an operating system? I really don't see myself using it for console games. Only arcade machines.
I want it to pretend to be an arcade machine when I flip the power switch on the back.

So I posted this midweek.
D0s suggested groovymame.

I'm asking this time more about the total set up.
At what point would I be going overkill on the pc?
Since it's in an arcade cabinet should I purposely worry about getting something that reduces heat? Like onboard video?
Only worried about arcade games. Mostly early 2000s and older.

I'm also going to look at buying a preloaded pc (at least frontend, not necessarily roms because that's bad) to save a lot of time that has a VGA out and at least one open molex on the PSU.
Just now remembered I need to look inside the cabinet to see what my keyboard encoder is.

Also, is there another thread more suited for this, or another community in general that isn't too toxic?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sounds like a PSU problem. Do you have a spare PSU to test it with

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sounds like a PSU problem. Do you have a spare PSU to test it with

"I took it out of the cab and hooked it to another monitor and changed the power supply and got the same results. I don't have another cpu to try."

I thought the same. Already tried that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My bad, that's what I get for skimming

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

falz posted:

Make sure when you get the cable that it is wired so that the signal goes from BNC-SCART and not the other way around. I've tried using a SCART-BNC adapter in reverse and it doesn't work.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I recently picked up a North American Saturn, and I'm looking for an Action Replay 4M Plus to remove the region lock. My local brick and mortar has had them in stock in the past but not today, where's the cheapest I could pick one up online?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

In Training posted:

I recently picked up a North American Saturn, and I'm looking for an Action Replay 4M Plus to remove the region lock. My local brick and mortar has had them in stock in the past but not today, where's the cheapest I could pick one up online?

It'll probably run you a bit since it is pretty much a requirement for any non Japanese Saturn owner. Like more than a S Video cable, the light gun, racing wheel, arcade stick, or 3d pad.

It is that necessary. Also a pack of batteries unless you enjoy file management between said cartridge and system. Welcome to the mini Bougie machine. The good poo poo isn't quite as pricey as the Neo Geo, Turbografx/PC Engine, Vectrex, or MSX but your wallet is still gonna be taking a bit of a pounding.

(Also it's got a better selection of great games than the N64 even counting NTSC English only. Throw in JPN stuff and it just stomps the 64 if you aren't a Mario and Zelda die hard. No Paper Mario of course but there are more than enough games to make up for it.)

Vvvv. Edit: there are backup carts and region unlock only carts but well.. The 4 Meg Replay is like ALL THE CARTS in one just about which is why it is so drat necessary for anyone who wants to do anything with the machine. It's like imagine a Turbografx HuCard that is a region free port, all the system cards and a Tennekoe Bank plus some Gameshark type poo poo. It doesn't really make sense for anything else. And for said Saturn given that emulation isn't remotely to the level most other platforms are it is kind of a requirement. I mean yeah ps1 emulation I can get 150 fps on a Cheapass 30 dollar Android phone from Walmart but Saturn doesn't really have that at all. It's one of those machines where you still really have to play on that machine and not just for Virtua Cop 1-2. And since most of us don't speak/read Japanese? Well the Replay is pretty much GET IT OR DONT BOTHER WITH THE MACHINE. Like late DOS/Early Win 9x doesn't even require a Voodoo 2-3 as much as Saturn gamers need that cart. So yeah. Not exactly gonna be cheap. I am not sure it's triple digits price yet but... I'd get it sooner rather than later if you know what I mean. Especially as even the PC ports of some of the Saturn games are really only Win 9x compatible. Though 640-480 House of the Dead for 10 bucks is a good value if you have a 9x machine laying about... Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 15, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Isn't there that Gamer's Cartridge option, too? Enables direct-to-cart saving and playing of backups, though it doesn't have the RAM expansion for the fighting games (and a few other games like Metal Slug) that need it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seems like the most expensive part of this is finding a second controller, especially since it seems like it will be a mild crapshoot online. I should have picked up a second while I was buying the console but wasn't thinking.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Action Replay is usually around $30 on eBay. The Gamer's Cartridge is great, I love mine, but it was around $80 for me, iirc. The latter offers a lot more convenience.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what is the PS2 Loader? Is it something like the Homebrew Channel for the Wii?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

So what is the PS2 Loader? Is it something like the Homebrew Channel for the Wii?

PS2 Open Loader. It's a homebrew branch of the commercially sold HDLoader that allowed you to load PS2 ISOs from the IDE interface on the network adapter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Essentially. It resides on a memory card and lets you run other software on the machine. The most notable ones being things that let you load games from a hard drive. There's also software that lets you run patched and burned disk versions.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Monitor Burn posted:

Make sure when you get the cable that it is wired so that the signal goes from BNC-SCART and not the other way around. I've tried using a SCART-BNC adapter in reverse and it doesn't work.
That's really weird. The one I bought says its for a monitor so I'm guessing it's SCART->BNC. I guess I'll find out, although I have no idea how it could be directional.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Captain Rufus posted:

It is that necessary. Also a pack of batteries unless you enjoy file management between said cartridge and system. Welcome to the mini Bougie machine. The good poo poo isn't quite as pricey as the Neo Geo, Turbografx/PC Engine, Vectrex, or MSX but your wallet is still gonna be taking a bit of a pounding.

I don't know where you get your pricing stuff from, but the Saturn is not nearly as expensive to collect for as anything else you listed. Like Neo Geo is ~$200 just for the console set up and that same $200 will get you a Saturn and a quite a few games, especially if you go with imports. There's a lot more to the console than the US version of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

(MSXs aren't that expensive to buy and collect for either, unless you want Metal Gear 2 or something)

edit: Also just play PD Saga on SSF, that emulator runs pretty much every Saturn thing you throw at it.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 16, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

(MSXs aren't that expensive to buy and collect for either,

Agreed with everything else you said but are you specifically talking about MSX here and not MSX2 because MSX2 and it's good games are ridiculous expensive lately, unless you know something I don't

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

Agreed with everything else you said but are you specifically talking about MSX here and not MSX2 because MSX2 and it's good games are ridiculous expensive lately, unless you know something I don't

Stuff has been on an uptick for sure (though there was a brief, sharp drop right after new years), but you can get several MSX2/2+ models for around $100 if you're patient, likewise with games. True, you won't really find the Metal Gears, Contra, or Aleste CIB for less than a ton, but there are still a bunch of good games like the Konami Action titles, Ninja-kun, Knightmare series, King Kong 2, Gradius Nemesis, etc. that are all affordable CIB and super affordable cart only. Some of the expensive Konami games like Vampire Killer can reach ~$50 for cart only. Also a newer flashcart will run everything including floppy images and be cheaper than Metal Gear.

It's definitely harder to get good kit, especially since Buyee teamed up with Yahoo Auctions and the Japanese scalpers have noticed non-Japanese will pay a poo poo ton for "rare" games, but stuff gets put up for it's "actual" value regularly; the common MSX2+ models like the Sony HB-F1XDJ and the Panasonic FS-A1WSX sell for less than 10,000-15,000 yen if you get the right auction. The thing that will actually ding you on MSX stuff is shipping in my experience, but it's still not Neo Geo collecting prices.

If you're just looking for an MSX2 like the FS-A1/F or the HB-F1 it can be even cheaper, and if you're going for the MSX it's stupid dumb cheap, like $10 for a Toshiba HX-10 series stupid dumb cheap, and it still runs some pretty neato games.

fake edit: stay away from ebay for MSXs themselves generally, really really common machines like the FS-A1 will be inflated maybe 200% of their value. Ebay's sometime alright for games, but it depends on what's trendy in the retro community at the time.

source: I watch MSX auctions all the time.

real edit: I guess the moral of the MSX story is definitely do not accept the first price you see for any piece of MSX kit as gospel, they made a poo poo ton of them and they are not in any way rare.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 16, 2017

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'll say it once I'll say it a million times: if you want to dip into an obscure system go for PGM2. It's cheap, the games are cool, it's a great system, and no one knows what it is so you'll get that hipster cred.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
I've been looking for a good MSX deal for a while. What would be the cheapest way to play the MSX version of Maze of Galious on real hardware?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know where you get your pricing stuff from, but the Saturn is not nearly as expensive to collect for as anything else you listed. Like Neo Geo is ~$200 just for the console set up and that same $200 will get you a Saturn and a quite a few games, especially if you go with imports. There's a lot more to the console than the US version of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

(MSXs aren't that expensive to buy and collect for either, unless you want Metal Gear 2 or something)

edit: Also just play PD Saga on SSF, that emulator runs pretty much every Saturn thing you throw at it.

Yeah, I was able to get a system, controller, Action Replay 4M cart and 4 JP discs for under 200. Japanese stuff is pretty cheap to pick up compared to the English counterparts, at least near me.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Anyone happen to have "Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Midway Collection 2" for PSX? It appears to have burger time on it. I'm curious if it's a decent port, I can't really find a review of it.

(Wife loves burger time arcade and coleco, I'm hoping this can prevent me from finding the arcade version)

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

UnhandledException posted:

I've been looking for a good MSX deal for a while. What would be the cheapest way to play the MSX version of Maze of Galious on real hardware?

Just search for ガリウスの迷宮 for Maze of Galious and try and find a Toshiba HX-10D/DP or Sony HB-101 on the Japanese webstore or auction site of your choice. Galious CIB can be pricy, but a cart pops up for cheap in auctions a lot, and do not pay more than $20-$25 for the MSX itself. Should be no more than $60-ish total, but expect to pay a LOT for shipping if you don't want to slow boat it.

If you feel like spending a little more, you could get a Panasonic FS-A1 for $30-60 and play any MSX/MSX2 cartridge game released.

In Training posted:

Yeah, I was able to get a system, controller, Action Replay 4M cart and 4 JP discs for under 200. Japanese stuff is pretty cheap to pick up compared to the English counterparts, at least near me.

Yeah, Saturn is one of the few cases where finding Japanese stuff is generally cheaper.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'll say it once I'll say it a million times: if you want to dip into an obscure system go for PGM2. It's cheap, the games are cool, it's a great system, and no one knows what it is so you'll get that hipster cred.

PGM2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Apart from some bootleg Cave games hacked to work with the cart system (ketsui, espgaluda, ddpdoj) what's good on the PGM/PGM2? It's just a bunch of Chinese made fighters and beatemups that have like 5 nearly identical versions each. Like oriental legend is kinda fun but it's not some amazing thing

edit: those bootleg cave games are like $200 each too

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 16, 2017

• Locked thread