Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Public Service Announcement

This guy is very highly skilled at making good quality ships and weapon mods and he just keeps putting new stuff out. Worth checking out.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=822475028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Space engineers is just that game I wish were a little better and more successful.

I would really like to find a large, very high pop stable server, more or less vanilla, and work with a group of people to just absolutely destroy everyone we come across.

When you have a long term game in mind, artistic and functional constructions like many of the better workshop creations become feasible to make, and therefor defend. Gameplay then has purpose to acquire, construct and defend, and through teamwork fully utilise to the maximum extent possible these valuable creations.

I just want to be a space locust. A really, really well organised space locust.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Do people actually have large PvP battles in this game? There are a ton of posts about ships with carrier decks, flak screens, broadsides, etc like they're gearing up for some EVE style confrontation. Does it actually happen?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Considering servers tend to gently caress up once you get more than like 5 players in them, probably not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TTerrible posted:

Do people actually have large PvP battles in this game? There are a ton of posts about ships with carrier decks, flak screens, broadsides, etc like they're gearing up for some EVE style confrontation. Does it actually happen?

Not really, no. Though given how well KSH have been gradually improving content with their patches, despite bugs along the way, it's quite probably a question of when rather than if now. Especially with the new netcode that wasn't built just to get it out the door ASAP in the game's earliest builds.

My mod-stuffed system-chugging lagship of death Battlecarrier is just a personal project I've been fiddling with for frigging ages. It also makes a good litmus test any time KSH roll out a performance-increase patch. The only thing it actually can kill right now is FPS :v:. Or the odd ship pasted in the World just to watch it get lit the gently caress up. Incidentally, the new missile smoke trails default to all missile-based mod projectiles and it makes the various cannon mods look pretty drat cool.

Your best bet is to build your fuckoff-massive battleship now and have it ready and waiting, just in case :unsmigghh:.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Speaking of pvp, it'd be cool to have a little small scale pvp tournament or something. I'm not sure what the limit is right now in terms of stability but maybe just some 1 vs 1 matches or if the game could handle it up to 5 vs 5. We could set limits on block counts for ships or even a total block count for the entire team. That'd give teams a lot of choice in terms of individual ship design. One team might go with 1 massive ship and 4 smaller ones while the other team might go with 5 evenly sized ships.

I'm sure we could come up with some more specific rules or something if people were interested.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
There's no end to the number of possible PvP scenarios (though I would limit tournament-style teams to 3v3 or 4v4, 'public' teams can be unlimited):

1) Spit & Duct Tape Skirmish
Teams start with 1 10x Large Large Cargo pre-stuffed (by admins) with parts to make a ship capable of destroying the enemy Beacon (also pre-placed)

2) Lights Out (3+ teams possible)
Teams compete to get a Large Beacon built and turned on, then hunt the enemy Beacon. Whichever team lights their beacon first has their effective time doubled.

3) Battleship
Teams field any number of small ships, and exactly one Large Ship that has exactly one Large Reactor and no other power components (batteries, solars, etc). First Battleship depowered loses (or last man standing). Battle takes place in low orbit around a planet/moon (.3+ G) preventing solid cubes of armor from being viable 'battleships' (contact with surface = instant loss). Shoot out their engines, that counts!

4) Welcome To The Drone Zone
No players/control chairs allowed within 2 km of The Hill, king of said hill wins (by time, x1.5 score for having an active/controllable drone on the 'hill' when time is called) (hill designated by admins: literal planetary hill, asteroid, etc). Attacks on remote bases (in person or not) are allowed.

5) Mammoth Hunt
One player in a Large Ship, everyone else in Smalls and can spawn new ships at will. When ship is sufficiently crippled (depowered/crashes a la #3), rotate players, whoever lasts longest as the Mammoth wins (if in space, must stay within tourney zone to prevent simple running away).

Not to mention numerous variants on the above: [from scratch/blueprints allowed/ships provided/players pre-make ships], [in space/planetary/moon], [tank/atmos fighter/on foot/space fighters], [weight limits/block limits/power limits/go nuts]

I would love to admin or participate in any of these :yayclod:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Hmm, Battleship has a fairly obvious exploit that allows people to still make 10,000+ ton blocks of heavy armour, internal engines, possibly hydrogen engines given the power generation limit.

Then again even ships with a single layer of heavy armour tend to lose all of their guns long before there are serious breaches of the hull unless somebody is toting a gravity cannon.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
There's a neat dogfighting scenario with respawning grids, did that one before the netcode change in an 8 v 8 scenario and it worked fairly well. There is also a neat asteroid arena. Build your ship on the platforms and then fly into the asteroid. It's pitch black in there and has a very submarine like feel.

e: I've wanted to take the respawning grid thing from the atmo dogfight scenario and do a space based one. Asteroid field, carrier and support ships attacking an asteroid pirate base with its own support. Dogfighting and "ground" combat since you'd need to fight your way inside to reach the power plant and destroy it.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 10, 2017

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hey Drake_263, are you still attempting to create that map / scenario you mentioned? If so, how goes things?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo do they have any word on this Nvidia card bug yet? I have a GTX 9 something and every time I try to launch the drat game it tells me my graphics card isn't good enough and that it can't initialize.

This is the second time since launch that I have been unable to play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Holy poo poo do they have any word on this Nvidia card bug yet? I have a GTX 9 something and every time I try to launch the drat game it tells me my graphics card isn't good enough and that it can't initialize.

This is the second time since launch that I have been unable to play.

I'm running fine on a GTX 670. Update your drivers, and tell us what the actual model is beyond "9 something". If you don't know, click the Start button, type in dxdiag and run the app that should be found. It'll tell you the graphics card model of your computer in the Display tab.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
fwiw I'm running just fine with a GTX 960

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

quote:

Hello, Engineers! This week’s update contains a large amount of fixes including a major one for landing gears which were having issues locking to both voxels and grids. The landing gears 3d model has also been adjusted so that the base of it is more central and does not protrude as much. There has also been other model improvements including updated models for the oxygen tank, blast furnace, upgrade modules and the spotlight. The sliding door block now has emissions that shows it’s status, bringing it in line with the standard door. Some of these changes were in fact made because of comments from the community. So thanks for all of the feedback and you can expect to see more of these visual tweaks in the coming weeks.
Moving on, this week we will be adding materials into the ModSDK to fix issues with pink textures with some mods. We appreciate your patience with getting this solution out. Bugs fixed this week include not being able to interact with large reactor conveyor doors, issues when reloading worlds with pistons extended and camera view issues in multiplayer. Lastly, we resolved the issues of asteroids appearing in the empty world scenario by adding the option to start any scenario without asteroids. This setting can be found in the “World Generator” page before starting your world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXyp5HN5GaA

Features
- More Physics and Render Improvements
- Updated Block Art

Fixes
- added MATERIALS in Mod SDK to fix pink texture issues for modders
- updated AI Drones behavior
- fixed Mag boots/Auto-jetpack activation issues
- fixed flares appearing on the same position when pasting the ship
- fixed Landing Gear model size
- fixed Conveyor door on Large Reactor
- fixed missing texture on Window 1x2 Side Left
- fixed Merge block mountpoints
- fixed character grinding animation
- fixed clang with camera
- fixed wrong armor deformations
- fixed remote control/camera POV issues
- fixed FOV resetting when using Interior Turret
- fixed issues with pistons extending pistons while the world is reloading
- fixed default settings for Empty World and Rival Platforms scenarios
- fixed Corner light and Interior light not giving up any light
- fixed Gamepad control issues
- fixed Interior turret shooting through door
- fixed asteroids settings for Empty world scenario
- fixed Corner LCD 2 rotating issues
- fixed Small Conveyor Tubes being aligned wrong during building
- fixed Merge Block not working within the same grid
- fixed issues with merge blocks and flares
- fixed odd Sabiroid behavior
- fixed Hydrogen Thruster issues with resource sink
- fixed changing cockpit color (pink interior)
- fixed loading of custom worlds screens
- fixed G screen (Small Conveyor Tube, Small Conveyor, Small Curved Conveyor Tube)
- fixed wrong gyroscope color
- fixed Interior Block rotation
- fixed emmisivity for Sliding Door
- fixed accessing control panel when conveyor is attached

Also... new skybox I guess?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Hey Drake_263, are you still attempting to create that map / scenario you mentioned? If so, how goes things?

I've been super busy with work so I haven't had much time to work on it! As things stand, I have the very basics of the map topography created; there's the three moons, each about 50KM away from the central point of the map, a big, dense (around fourty!) asteroid cluster in the middle of the map, and an Alien Planet 'underneath' the planets' plane.

As things stand, I think I should actually bring the moons a little closer to the starting point - there's not really much point in the huge fuckoff distances with the populations most servers end up with, and it's just plain cool to look up and see a scifi backdrop with an enormous moon/planet looming over the horizon.

I'm also considering placing smaller clusters of asteroids in near orbit for each planet. A little bit of resources you can claim in orbit without venturing into the big central cluster everyone will want a piece of. I'm likely going to drop one of those little automated pirate raiding drone stations into each cluster; both to mark it out (because gently caress trying to find random asteroids in a 200km-cube of 3D space) and to make sure that every cluster has something interesting in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like we got some major fixes in this week's patch notes guys, and... what the ... :eyepop:.

At the very least, here's the UESC build contest link

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Drake_263 posted:

I've been super busy with work so I haven't had much time to work on it! As things stand, I have the very basics of the map topography created; there's the three moons, each about 50KM away from the central point of the map, a big, dense (around fourty!) asteroid cluster in the middle of the map, and an Alien Planet 'underneath' the planets' plane.

As things stand, I think I should actually bring the moons a little closer to the starting point - there's not really much point in the huge fuckoff distances with the populations most servers end up with, and it's just plain cool to look up and see a scifi backdrop with an enormous moon/planet looming over the horizon.

I'm also considering placing smaller clusters of asteroids in near orbit for each planet. A little bit of resources you can claim in orbit without venturing into the big central cluster everyone will want a piece of. I'm likely going to drop one of those little automated pirate raiding drone stations into each cluster; both to mark it out (because gently caress trying to find random asteroids in a 200km-cube of 3D space) and to make sure that every cluster has something interesting in it.

Sounds good, I know how it is with work taking up free time believe me. If there's any way I could help or any opinions lemme know!

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Is there any way to just like, tell a conveyor sorter to gently caress off and just be a regular conveyor for a bit? I have a big huge gently caress-off tunnel boring mining ship, and when I want to dock it at a platform for mass refining, I have a docking connector with a conveyor sorter set to whitelist ore only and set to drain all. It does a pretty good job of vacuuming out all the cargo containers, but it means that if I want to send stuff back through the connector, I have to undock and redock at a nearby docking connector that doesn't have the conveyor sorter.

Would something like this work?

Is there anything that would prevent the ore from just looping back through the cargo container array, into the tube and just coming back up into the ore ship again? Could I stick another conveyor sorter set to blacklist ore coming out from the other branch of the cargo container array? Why does this have to be such a big loving deal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HappyKitty posted:

Is there any way to just like, tell a conveyor sorter to gently caress off and just be a regular conveyor for a bit? I have a big huge gently caress-off tunnel boring mining ship, and when I want to dock it at a platform for mass refining, I have a docking connector with a conveyor sorter set to whitelist ore only and set to drain all. It does a pretty good job of vacuuming out all the cargo containers, but it means that if I want to send stuff back through the connector, I have to undock and redock at a nearby docking connector that doesn't have the conveyor sorter.

Is there anything that would prevent the ore from just looping back through the cargo container array, into the tube and just coming back up into the ore ship again? Could I stick another conveyor sorter set to blacklist ore coming out from the other branch of the cargo container array? Why does this have to be such a big loving deal?

I would think if you put a blacklist sorter on the top spoke of the conveyor split then yes that should work. But you wouldn't be able to send anything but ore to the station still.

Alternatively, you could have a button which deactivates the sorter and engages a pair of connectors on pistons running parallel to the sorter line to create just a normal cargo connection between the two.

It's a fart on yes but I quite like building big mechanical solutions to stuff like that. if you want to I assume you can learn programming to do it instead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped. With patch notes for once!

quote:

Hotfixes 170.005

-fixed issue with corrupted world when saving in 3rd person camera
-fixed issue with timer block not saving its settings when built from projection

HappyKitty posted:

That'll work just fine, if you're only forcing ore out of your ship. Anything else can come through the other conveyor line just fine through the same Connector.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Since the new blocks and performance has increased a bit I've been working on a larger ship, I'd consider it a destroyer or battlecruiser since it's all guns and armor. It's about the length of the IMDC Titan Cruiser if you saw that on the workshop.

In some of the images you can see the "bones" of the ship, it's all the interior space built first, then the armor and engines were wrapped around it.

Engineering and Bridge, I really like the bridge, the corridor continues behind the big main screen.

Still needs abit of tweaking and more cosmetic mods.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

Since the new blocks and performance has increased a bit I've been working on a larger ship, I'd consider it a destroyer or battlecruiser since it's all guns and armor. It's about the length of the IMDC Titan Cruiser if you saw that on the workshop.

In some of the images you can see the "bones" of the ship, it's all the interior space built first, then the armor and engines were wrapped around it.

Engineering and Bridge, I really like the bridge, the corridor continues behind the big main screen.

Still needs abit of tweaking and more cosmetic mods.

That is a pretty sweet broadsider of a battleship :allears:. A couple of thoughts though; You might want to try placing the main-body guns on steps instead of a line (have a look at the main guns on my ships for an example) because otherwise fighting head-on you've got a good four guns either doing nothing or shooting the ones in front of them. Quite likely the latter. I'd also suggest ditching the Mk.1's entirely and putting more 2x300mm cannons in their place, as they're kinda crap and it's an extra ammo type to manage you don't really need Survival-wise. It'd give the side-batteries a nicer continuous look.

You're also better off going with the Vulcan gatling guns instead of the Telion's. Their firing angle is craaaaap. Plus you can sit the Vulcans flush with the hull. The 4x4 Bofors are also sweet-looking anti-fighter guns.

Also the incessant giggling caused by watching your battleship spray death at another will never go away, you just learn to live with it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
CMDBob is back and is trying to update his sweet weapon mod. Hopefully no more crashes!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a robust way of making an airlock?

I have something set up with timer blocks but I'm not super fond of it. I wish you could disable local door control and just trigger them remotely, as well as triggering things when you do hit the door button.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is a pretty sweet broadsider of a battleship :allears:. A couple of thoughts though; You might want to try placing the main-body guns on steps instead of a line (have a look at the main guns on my ships for an example) because otherwise fighting head-on you've got a good four guns either doing nothing or shooting the ones in front of them. Quite likely the latter. I'd also suggest ditching the Mk.1's entirely and putting more 2x300mm cannons in their place, as they're kinda crap and it's an extra ammo type to manage you don't really need Survival-wise. It'd give the side-batteries a nicer continuous look.

You're also better off going with the Vulcan gatling guns instead of the Telion's. Their firing angle is craaaaap. Plus you can sit the Vulcans flush with the hull. The 4x4 Bofors are also sweet-looking anti-fighter guns.

Also the incessant giggling caused by watching your battleship spray death at another will never go away, you just learn to live with it.

Yeah those Telions never fired a shot in a weapons test, switched to Bofors and Vulcans.

Oh God its getting bigger.

Org: 10,000 armor blocks, 28,200,000kg
New: 14,000 armor blocks, 41,700,000kg

Weapons free! FIRE!

ed: I've been going over it with several variations of the "blue-steel" color to give it some more texture, this Paint Gun mod has been really handy, you can select your palette with the mouse wheel and it works with mirroring.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 16, 2017

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a robust way of making an airlock?

I have something set up with timer blocks but I'm not super fond of it. I wish you could disable local door control and just trigger them remotely, as well as triggering things when you do hit the door button.

The quick and dirty airlock is a two door hallway. You leave your pressurized environment through the first door, close it behind you, open the second, and jet out into space. Sure, it technically loses a bit of air each time, but you've got a functional Oxygen Generator inside to keep the pressure up anyway. :)

The next step would be using a single Timer Block to do an Open/Close command for both doors, ensuring that one will always be closed and one opened at all times (no risk of accidentally opening both at once and depressurizing the interior).

The next step beyond that would be using a Programming Block to enforce that more stringently.

You could also use Sensor Blocks to only open the doors when a player is near, and set the fields far enough apart (or make the airlock hallway long enough) that there's no risk of the doors opening simultaneously. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's mostly just a bit of a faff to set up timers to turn on, cycle one set, cycle the pressure, cycle the other set, then turn them off again, and also to failsafe close and lock the doors if the airlock takes damage.

I currently have it doing that but it's a right pain in the arse. Guess I might have to learn to program it. I hate programming :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

Yeah those Telions never fired a shot in a weapons test, switched to Bofors and Vulcans.

Oh God its getting bigger.

Org: 10,000 armor blocks, 28,200,000kg
New: 14,000 armor blocks, 41,700,000kg

Weapons free! FIRE!

ed: I've been going over it with several variations of the "blue-steel" color to give it some more texture, this Paint Gun mod has been really handy, you can select your palette with the mouse wheel and it works with mirroring.

You know, my Narwhal Frigate's in the OP if you want something of a comparable size to pit yours against...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Are either of these complete enough to be enjoyed in co-op and comparable to say, Subnautica (e.g. a fun survival component without being grindy or annoying)?

Last I saw of space engineers it was a glorified asteroid simulator thing, seems they've added planets and it's way more fleshed out now, curious how it plays?

And I know nothing of medieval engineers.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I wouldn't say these games are fun unless your primary goal is to build stuff. The devs are working on AI and have a few working models, but this game works best when the enemy is other players. Otherwise, there isn't a lot of conflict. Getting killed by space isn't very exciting right now in the same way going to the Aether or having your house blown up by creepers is in Minecraft or whatever.

EDIT: As said below, one of the biggest "What If's" right now for SE is "What if the AI ends up being really fun?" Then I imagine this game will be fun no matter how you choose to play. So far though, they've barely managed to get ships to move in the right direction *and* shoot. I'm fairly optimistic, though. They seem determined to actually include the programming for AI drones and the managing tools inside the ship itself by way of programming blocks, timers, sensors, etc. This means (if their plan works) you could theoretically program your own advanced AI in game. Did I mention you can code C# directly into "program blocks" which can govern the way your ship behaves, displays things, or anything else you can think of doing with C#? And there's workshop support? By far the best feature of the game right now.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2017

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I'll echo what Napoleon says. That being said it's a lot of fun to build things, walk around space stations and starships and as he mentioned it's best when you're fighting / interacting with other players. They recently buffed the multiplayer netcode but its still got a ways to go. Things look promising...but who knows. Time will tell.

Subnautica is a great game, I'm waiting till it's pretty much done cause I went through it twice over the past year and it gets to a point that you're having to wait for the next update. That being said their dev team had a good idea of sticking to a basic vision of the game and seeing it through. Ya an underwater crafting game would be fun with combat and multiplayer, but they realized that would cause problems and dropped it early on. Space Engineers isn't really a story driven game, nor does it have traditional survival aspects. You don't have to go kill space pigs and cook up space hams to keep from starving and what enemy AI is present usually just drifts along and doesn't do much unless you aggro it at which point it's pretty basic (charges you while shooting). Hopefully they do add AI improvements and the multiplayer code keeps improving. If they can nail those two they'll have a solid sandbox game that'll let us have fun beating each other up. If that's the kind of game you might enjoy then consider picking it up. But realize it's not there yet, though the multiplayer aspect seems to be creeping closer.

I've never played Medieval Engineers and I honestly think they botched it when they developed that instead of focusing solely on SE.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Mr. Crow posted:

Are either of these complete enough to be enjoyed in co-op and comparable to say, Subnautica (e.g. a fun survival component without being grindy or annoying)?

You might find a lot of enjoyment in Empyrion: Galactic Survival, especially given your love of Subnautica, and a desire for a co-op experience.

Also, Jigoku San, that is one nice ship. I really dig the bridge.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand
Inter-grid communications with programmable blocks is finally here, Engineers. All of those command and control centers or AWACS ships are now finally a reality. I expect to see scripts and/or mods which used to allow this be updated to reflect this. A whole new area has been opened up to us in terms of design and interface. Time to get back to work.

edit: After looking through the example script for antenna communications, it seems that assigned block ownership is not the primary factor, but physical block you send it to via dropdown? Iunno code very well. I know there is an awesome hacking block mod that gradually takes over enemy grids. It looks like wireless hacking is going to be a thing in the near future. I for one am going to keep placing critical antennae interally on my ship.

edit2: This'll make displaying the status of fighters and drones much easier now, linked via basic script to update LCDs. Hopefully MMaster's godlike script will reflect this soon. Guy answers all suggestions and comments, reworking good ideas into functionality when he updates Configurable Automatic LCDs.

Mercutio Martino fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 19, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Summary
This week’s update contains more improvements and tweaks for block models. For example, axles on all wheel suspension blocks have been made thicker which makes wheeled vehicles look much sturdier. There’s been changes to the air-tightness of some blocks. This includes the merge block, timer block and oxygen generator now being airtight from all sides. Also, some block icons and all component icons have been updated.

New behaviors have been added to drone AI which can be accessed via the visual scripting tool. Firstly, there's now expanded possibilities with how drones handle weapons. You can set up which weapons they can use, how often they use them and whether they check for obstacles, be it grids or voxels, before firing. For example they could be setup to not use rocket launchers unless the player is hidden behind voxels. Secondly, you can activate a new ambush behavior. This will make a drone wait until it’s actually able to shoot a target before engaging. Please continue to give feedback on the visual scripting tool as we really want to maximize it’s potential.

We're also pleased to announce that the single most requested feature for programmable blocks is here. We said it wasn't going to happen, but programmable blocks now have the ability to communicate between grids. This means you can open the hangar door from your fighter, or even trigger self destruct remotely. We're very excited to see what the community can create with this! Check our forums for a guide on this new feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpWvCjgrc

Features
- Drone AI improvements (weapons handling, ambush behavior)
- Updated Block/Component models + icons
- Programmable Block Inter-Grid Communication Guide: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/programmable-block-inter-grid-communication-guide.7392031/
- Warning for modders: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/warning-potentially-breaking-changes-next-week.7392032/

Fixes
- corrected air-tight properties for merge block, timer block and oxygen generator
- added message indicating selected block not available for a grid size
- added an email option to the crash message window
- updated construction models for small grid armor blocks
- minor material change for Gravity Generator
- fixed AI drones shooting without target in line of sight
- fixed not being able to use cockpit for small grid from the front
- fixed climbing invisible stairs when jumping outside of gravity well
- fixed LCD Panel Text losing Glow when recoloring Panel
- fixed refactor pilot attaching to cockpit
- fixed Voxel Hand and Teleportation security for server side
- fixed Visual Scripting Campaign issues
- fixed being able to use handbrake while not in main cockpit

Aside from the programming changes, you can now also make inter-ship connections that actually hold atmosphere. Personally I think they should just make a hollow Connector-type block that goes air-tight for inter-ship/station travel rather than merging the two together every time.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Did they fix the issue of mergeblocks not being built from projections?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Did they fix the issue of mergeblocks not being built from projections?

Small Block Merge Blocks are completely bugged, you can't even place them facing eachother. The Large Block ones work now though, as do the Small Ship Mega Mod ones.

edit: Seeing as there's a fair few Goon creations now, I'm moving them all into a Collection and putting that in the OP. It can be found here, let me know if anything's missing or if there's something you've made and want added. I might load up the game and stick a bunch of ships from it together in a nice fleet-y image for the background later.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 21, 2017

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a good/decent atmo drone miner with script, or even just the script? I'm getting to the point in my single player game where I have better things to do (Like greeble my ships damnit) with my time than mine but would still like to have incoming minerals.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 21, 2017

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Robzilla posted:

Anyone have a good/decent atmo drone miner with script, or even just the script? I'm getting to the point in my single player game where I have better things to do (Like greeble my ships damnit) with my time than mine but would still like to have incoming minerals.

I haven't found anything renotely usable in that regard. I'm on mobile, but later today I'll gently caress around with measage and link the mod for the laser mining drill mod block, which should make your life a little easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mexpex has made a new cannon mod called the X-3 Heavy Main Battery, and it is a thing of beauty.

The barrels even have recoil animations as they fire :allears:. Not to mention they track a full horizontal 180 degrees (the Mk.3's only do like 130).

I'm quite fond of it. And I didn't replace the Mk.3's because the drat thing is so big it clipped through the back of the cannon on the next armor step down.

I also may have turned on the rest of the guns while trying the X-3's out, because I couldn't resist watching some good old mass-fire dakka. The only damage received was about a 15-20% drop in shield strength.

Incidentally, the Battlecarrier continues to be a good litmus test for the game's optimization. It actually held an almost-decent framerate while letting loose with the Heavy Defense Turrets :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Incidentally, the Battlecarrier continues to be a good litmus test for the game's optimization. It actually held an almost-decent framerate while letting loose with the Heavy Defense Turrets :stare:.

I've got to say, the updates on your Battlecarrier and other ships are pretty much my favourite part of this thread.

• Locked thread