Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

quote:

Without revealing any more personal information than you're comfortable with, what nation are you in and what denomination are your local churches?

I am American, and I actually live in a medium sized city in Pennsylvania, right in the heart of Amish country. In the city we have like...one of each. Very devout and also super ethnically diverse for what you'd expect of rural PA.
We've got lots of Episcopals, some Catholics of various varieties (Southern Germans set up here a loooong time ago. Then we had successive waves of immigration from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Vietnam, and currently Congo. It's a frigging rainbow of Catholics from everywhere. Which is cool.) Big orthodox community, mostly Greeks but a sprinkling of some Balkan-y types too. Then we've got Moravians and Mennonites, who are very insular and not really looking for an outsider like me. Which is fine because I find super-austere expressions of Christianity a little off-putting anyway.

In short, just a smorgasbord of Christian practice here. (Also a very old, like I think colonial-old, and established community of orthodox Jews but that's not really the direction I'm heading.

My family is Polish on one side, Italian on the other so I guess my genes are really Catholic, but I do struggle with the idea of such a highly dogmatic way of worshipping, when the whole point of your religion is humility, simplicity and service to others...but then a week from now I'll be back to thinking that Protestants are just a bunch of wishywashy quitters who should get on side and stop playing all those drat acoustic guitars all the time.

Also, thanks to everyone who was super welcoming and understanding. This is hard stuff for me to talk about openly so it feels great to have such a warm reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

VoteTedJameson posted:

I am American, and I actually live in a medium sized city in Pennsylvania, right in the heart of Amish country. In the city we have like...one of each. Very devout and also super ethnically diverse for what you'd expect of rural PA.
We've got lots of Episcopals, some Catholics of various varieties (Southern Germans set up here a loooong time ago. Then we had successive waves of immigration from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Vietnam, and currently Congo. It's a frigging rainbow of Catholics from everywhere. Which is cool.) Big orthodox community, mostly Greeks but a sprinkling of some Balkan-y types too. Then we've got Moravians and Mennonites, who are very insular and not really looking for an outsider like me. Which is fine because I find super-austere expressions of Christianity a little off-putting anyway.

In short, just a smorgasbord of Christian practice here. (Also a very old, like I think colonial-old, and established community of orthodox Jews but that's not really the direction I'm heading.

My family is Polish on one side, Italian on the other so I guess my genes are really Catholic, but I do struggle with the idea of such a highly dogmatic way of worshipping, when the whole point of your religion is humility, simplicity and service to others...but then a week from now I'll be back to thinking that Protestants are just a bunch of wishywashy quitters who should get on side and stop playing all those drat acoustic guitars all the time.

Also, thanks to everyone who was super welcoming and understanding. This is hard stuff for me to talk about openly so it feels great to have such a warm reception.

Who so ever decides to do good deserves our kinship! Don't get too hung up on the catholic/protestant divide, learn about their doctrines and check out their churches and find out what calls to you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

VoteTedJameson posted:

I guess my genes are really Catholic, but I do struggle with the idea of such a highly dogmatic way of worshipping, when the whole point of your religion is humility, simplicity and service to others...but then a week from now I'll be back to thinking that Protestants are just a bunch of wishywashy quitters who should get on side and stop playing all those drat acoustic guitars all the time.

Thinking about worship style and core religious values is a good exercise for anyone who is considering Christianity. And while I can't extrapolate your entire opinions on these issues from this quote, I would like to offer some information about what I consider to be common misconceptions that people have about these topics. I am American too so hopefully I kind of know where your comments are coming from.

For worship style, please don't fall into the trap of "Catholics worship like that, Protestants worship like this! *rimshot*" because it's a huge and bad oversimplification. I've been to a Catholic church where they played acoustic guitars during the service (and their building didn't even have an organ). I've been to a Lutheran (Protestant) church in my area that had the most old-school service I've ever seen: like, I had to go home and hop on my computer afterward to do research, because a bunch of elements in their service were things I had never experienced or even heard of. And one of the most informal, :3: moments I've experienced in a church service was when I visited a Catholic parish once, and the way they did the passing of peace...was with hugs.

The other thing you might be doing here, which I caution against, is the very Protestant error of thinking "Catholics have all that ritual and hocus pocus stuff, so obviously they can't truly focus on the values of simple living and community service". I caution against this because I think every element of that reasoning is just incredibly stupid. On one of the most basic levels, it's wrong because when it comes to social teaching one of the most anti-materialist and pro-poor-people denominations in all of Christianity is *drumroll* the Catholic Church. And I don't understand how it's anything but ridiculous to say "oh but they have all these formal prayers and their worship service has all these rules and and" like this somehow magically makes Catholics unable to live a simple life or prevents them from doing charity work.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah I dunno if I'd say Catholicism is "more dogmatic" but then that depends on what you mean by dogmatic. I think it's fair to say the Catholic Church is very centralized and hierarchical. I'd say many Protestant groups are more dogmatic in that they will splinter over the tiniest disagreement. American Protestantism is like a fractal where there's a few big-tent denominations and then infinitely many sub-sub-sub sects that are all more correct than each other. This is both a good and bad thing. On one hand, you have sort of a "democratization" of the faith where most people have several different choices of denominations. They also have influence on doctrine by voting in synods and with their wallets and feet-- a church that isn't matching its community's needs is going to lose membership and income.

The downside is Protestantism is far more decentralized and less unified. The constant splintering allows for the growth of some pretty repressive and cult-y sects.

Edit: with no intent to offend, Mormonism is a good example and simple geography has played a role in the development of Christianity in America. If you disagreed or the neighbors ran you out of town for having radical ideas you can just move into some of that "empty" space.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 15, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
so one of my friends now faces a dilemma of canonical status that's going to be relatively simple to resolve but is also delightful in its complexity. he was born the child of a Maronite Catholic father and a Latin Catholic mother. he was baptized in a Latin parish, while his younger brother was baptized and chrismated at a Maronite parish. the father later obtained a change of rite for himself, intending to study for the diaconate, but not for his sons. my friend later underwent confirmation in a Latin parish, still without a formal change of rite. my friend now intends to marry in roughly two years' time, and he's in the position of having been confirmed sacramentally but not canonically, since the Latin Church had no canonical authority to confirm him. so now he has to either seek a formal change of rite for himself or get to the nearest Maronite parish and get himself chrismated so that he can be eligible to marry as a Catholic (of whatever rite).

this is like a liturgigoon dream come true, it's so beautiful.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

What is the difference between Maronite and Latin, and how many people have been murdered over it?

Also, why is this a thing? I can understand differences if, like, you move from place to place a lot. But isn't "Catholicism" a fairly similar thing wherever?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 15, 2017

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

so one of my friends now faces a dilemma of canonical status that's going to be relatively simple to resolve but is also delightful in its complexity. he was born the child of a Maronite Catholic father and a Latin Catholic mother. he was baptized in a Latin parish, while his younger brother was baptized and chrismated at a Maronite parish. the father later obtained a change of rite for himself, intending to study for the diaconate, but not for his sons. my friend later underwent confirmation in a Latin parish, still without a formal change of rite. my friend now intends to marry in roughly two years' time, and he's in the position of having been confirmed sacramentally but not canonically, since the Latin Church had no canonical authority to confirm him. so now he has to either seek a formal change of rite for himself or get to the nearest Maronite parish and get himself chrismated so that he can be eligible to marry as a Catholic (of whatever rite).

This is magnificent. Get the Exarch on the phone.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

What is the difference between Maronite and Latin, and how many people have been murdered over it?

Also, why is this a thing? I can understand differences if, like, you move from place to place a lot. But isn't "Catholicism" a fairly similar thing wherever?

the Latin and Maronite Churches are two different churches within the Catholic Church as a whole: including the Latin Church, there are a total of 24 Catholic Churches. we call them sui iuris churches because each is governed by its own codes of canon law. people don't really get murdered over it because the Maronites never stopped being in communion with Rome: they just sort of hung out in Syria and Lebanon while the Great Schism happened around them. this is mainly an issue because there are a lot of canonical laws in place governing the relationship between the Eastern churches and the Latin one, almost all of them favoring the Eastern Catholics because their numbers are so small. basically if you're an Eastern Catholic, you're strongly encouraged to maintain your traditions and not to Latinize, whereas if you're a Latin Catholic, you're encouraged to adopt Eastern Catholic practices and spirituality if you marry into an Eastern Catholic family. these masses of canon law all exist because which church you're a member of determines which canon law you're obliged to follow, as well as where you and your children should receive the initiatory sacraments (if more than one Catholic church is available).

beyond the legal differences, the spirituality of the Eastern Churches is very different from that of the Latin Church, sometimes radically so. the Maronites historically have been the most "Latinized" but they're working on undoing that, and their liturgies are still markedly different. the liturgical differences are the most notable, but essentially the churches all believe the same things but would articulate them very differently. for example, the Latin Church (and through it, Western Christianity in general) has favored a legal metaphor for conceiving of original sin (conviction, redemption, etc.), whereas Eastern Christians (including Catholics and Orthodox) often talk about it as a disease or sickness, with the sacraments and the scriptures being medicine for the soul. both Eastern and Western Catholics would say that they believe the same thing, but they envision it differently and this leads to very different worldviews and spiritual practices.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VoteTedJameson posted:

there are people out there who try to be humble, and judge nobody, and don't have any goddamn modern music with acoustic guitars in it at church, and those people are called the Orthodox church

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

we found him

it's the dude all the hypothetical questions are about. ask him if he's ever seen an animal run away with the Host

also answer your freaking PMs

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 15, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

there are people out there who try to be humble, and judge nobody, and don't have any goddamn modern music with acoustic guitars in it at church, and those people are called the Orthodox church

Aren't those the guys getting very buddy buddy with Putin?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

depends on which church. we all have similar beliefs, but very different political stances, depending onwhere we are from.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

HEGEL is handy and can give a better answer, but afaik the Orthodox are supposed to stay out of politics. It's the Russian Orthodox patriarch and church in particular that play ball with Putin.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

HEGEL is handy and can give a better answer, but afaik the Orthodox are supposed to stay out of politics. It's the Russian Orthodox patriarch and church in particular that play ball with Putin.

and that's probably got a lot to do with kgb infiltration during the soviet era

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

the orthodox church of america is supposed to stay out of politics. in various countries the churches get into politics a whole lot, to their spiritual detriment imo

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Serbian Orthodox Church is the reason I haven't been to church a very long time now. I'm still incredibly torn about some of the most wonderful people I ever had a chance to interact with being priests or deeply religious people (like my fiirst philosophy teacher in highschool) but the Church's current influence, especially the stuff coming from the top, being fairly close to what I define as evil. (I mean, in addition to the personal crisis of faith this tends to cause)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

VoteTedJameson posted:

I do struggle with the idea of such a highly dogmatic way of worshipping, when the whole point of your religion is humility, simplicity and service to others

What does "highly dogmatic" mean to you? What is it about the Catholic way of worshipping that causes you to struggle? These aren't gotcha questions; I just don't know if you're objecting to "having a specific way of doing public worship", "doing public worship with beautiful things", or "thinking that the way we worship matters to God". Because Lutha Martin is right - you'll find Catholic parishes using acoustic guitars and tambourines while the Lutheran church up the road has a pipe organ from 1899.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

zonohedron posted:

a pipe organ from 1899.

My, how quaint :smugeuropean:

But seriously, the description of the religious landscape in this Pennsylvania town sounded really cool. It's fundamentally different from Europe, where virtually everywhere has been Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox or Muslim for centuries, if not millennia, and the very earth is shaped by this long-standing religious tradition (it's pretty hard to find a spot in Bavaria where the next Catholic church, chapel or cross is more than a mile away, for example). This sheer variety when it comes to religion is something that we don't really have, even our largest and most metropolitan cities have one clearly “superior“ (in the sense of historical and current influence, public visibility and number of adherents) denomination. Which is cool, too, in its way, but if I ever should manage to cross the pond someday I'd love to get a closer look at this colourful religious landscape :)

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

there's a cd thread for this, but I wanted to mention that scorsese 's new film silence is well worth seeing. im tempted to say this is especially true for those from a liturgical tradition, or who have a contemplative perspective, or who've had a long experience of spiritual seeking / trial, but in retrospect i think the appeal is broader than that. beautifully composed, shot and acted, in addition to being a compelling meditation on faith and religion.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Hi again Christian Goons, that last post about catholics being stuffy and protestants being hippies was just me being flippant, don't read too much into it. I crack jokes about serious stuff cause I'm a giant babby who can't engage with topics of importance except through irony and sarcasm.

I have to say I actually have the deepest admiration for the Orthodox Church, but all the Orthodox churches seem to be so...ethnically specific? I think I might feel odd being the lone non-Greek in the congregation. Like, as if I was intruding? Although my last name is typically Greek (my Italian side is from way down in the lowermost boot where a lot of the population is of Greek extraction) so maybe I could infiltrate them successfully!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

VoteTedJameson posted:

I crack jokes about serious stuff cause I'm a giant babby who can't engage with topics of importance except through irony and sarcasm.

Relax. You're among friends here.

What is your opinion on silly hats?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

VoteTedJameson posted:

I have to say I actually have the deepest admiration for the Orthodox Church, but all the Orthodox churches seem to be so...ethnically specific? I think I might feel odd being the lone non-Greek in the congregation. Like, as if I was intruding? Although my last name is typically Greek (my Italian side is from way down in the lowermost boot where a lot of the population is of Greek extraction) so maybe I could infiltrate them successfully!

If you think the Church is serious stuff you really weren't raised in it.

From what I have seen as an outsider myself, I think that a great deal of people who are raised in Faiths either refuse to see it's flaws or do and understand it. Whereas converts tend to be a bit more zealous and looking for perfection in an organisation. For the most part no church or faith or anything is going to be perfect. Certainly not now and certainly not forever. Just find one that you and the world can live with.

Yes, proclaim the return of the exarchate and that'll mean infiltration. Remember Christianity is a proselytizing faith, I doubt that anyone is going to turn new blood away at the door.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VoteTedJameson posted:

Hi again Christian Goons, that last post about catholics being stuffy and protestants being hippies was just me being flippant, don't read too much into it. I crack jokes about serious stuff cause I'm a giant babby who can't engage with topics of importance except through irony and sarcasm.

not really. it only seems that way from outside due to accidents of how the churches developed in history. think of it kiiiinda like italian catholics, mexican catholics, and irish catholics. a parish full of poles wouldn't turn you away, neither will the greeks.

and some of the best byzantine architecture in the world is italian :iamafag:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_San_Vitale

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

Worthleast posted:

Relax. You're among friends here.

What is your opinion on silly hats?

I'm strongly in favor. Real talk: if I became Pope, I like to think if I would be cool and humble and just wear the little white kippah like Francis...but I know for certain that I would throw on a huge, garish hat at the slightest provocation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Well hello next temple of the invisible god!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Annual Prophet posted:

there's a cd thread for this, but I wanted to mention that scorsese 's new film silence is well worth seeing. im tempted to say this is especially true for those from a liturgical tradition, or who have a contemplative perspective, or who've had a long experience of spiritual seeking / trial, but in retrospect i think the appeal is broader than that. beautifully composed, shot and acted, in addition to being a compelling meditation on faith and religion.
I haven't seen it, but I've been keeping an eye out for the book, and Elizabeth Bruenig wrote an interesting review that, for bonus goonery, involves the Donatist controversy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

VoteTedJameson posted:

Nice to meet you, VoteTedJameson. Peace be with you!

VoteTedJameson posted:

I am also generally of the opinion that while I may never fully assure myself of the existence of God, or that Christian worship is the right way to experience contact with said God, that the ethical foundation of Chtistianity- i.e. forgiveness, mercy, serving the poorest and most vulnerable, is so commendable that the actual metaphysical elements might be irrelevant.

I think that's a very interesting thing to ponder. The Jesus story is already revolutionary as literature.

I don't think you have to worry about praying hypocritically as long as you are praying sincerely. Prayer is being honest with your ultimate creator and imperative, including your doubts about God's absence or existence. Everyone is capable of doing this. In Christians, there is a specific belief that the omnipotent and omnibenevolent deity also took the Earthly existence as a man named Jesus, who lived a blameless life of forgiveness, mercy, and service to the most vulnerable, and these things he said authoritatively were the ultimate matters of life and death and obedience to God, and he did not force people to worship him. This is what he said about praying:

quote:

“And when you come before God, don’t turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?

“Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.

“The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need."

(Matthew 6:5-8 from The Message contemporary language Bible)

Jesus also taught his disciples to look out for each other as brothers and sisters, so if there is ever something you want others to pray for, here is the place to ask.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

I haven't seen it, but I've been keeping an eye out for the book, and Elizabeth Bruenig wrote an interesting review that, for bonus goonery, involves the Donatist controversy.

That's a fun review, and I think it's largely correct about what the film is addressing. I've read a couple of reviews in the more Evangelical press that seem to rather miss the point, but given that the whole film is couched in intensely Catholic and Jesuit language, it stands to reason that it won't always translate perfectly to people who aren't familiar with those particular spiritualities.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

System Metternich posted:

But seriously, the description of the religious landscape in this Pennsylvania town sounded really cool. It's fundamentally different from Europe, where virtually everywhere has been Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox or Muslim for centuries, if not millennia, and the very earth is shaped by this long-standing religious tradition (it's pretty hard to find a spot in Bavaria where the next Catholic church, chapel or cross is more than a mile away, for example). This sheer variety when it comes to religion is something that we don't really have, even our largest and most metropolitan cities have one clearly “superior“ (in the sense of historical and current influence, public visibility and number of adherents) denomination.

Nooo

If you're trying to get away from the Catholics as far as possible while staying in (the free state of) Bavaria, try the regions around Bayreuth or Ansbach. And as far as number of adherents goes, try Nuremberg (30% of each) or any city in east Germany (none of either :dawkins101:).
Also in Munich there's a very wide variety of Catholic denominations.

I think we have different types of protestants too, because some of their priests (pastors?) show up in jeans and t-shirt, while others legitimately wear this:

I was going to comment on the neck ruffle, but turns out this is actually a regional difference and the city officials of some places also wear it. But if the priest is wearing that two-legged white collar thing, you can tell whether xe's Lutheran or Reformed by whether the legs are apart or together respectively.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i have made one of those neck ruffles for myself to wear in a reenactment. mine was much smaller though, so it wouldn't get in my way when i fought. it fastened with a ribbon in the back. if you're also wearing neck armor the ruff will peek out of the metal and it is adorable

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

i have made one of those neck ruffles for myself to wear in a reenactment. mine was much smaller though, so it wouldn't get in my way when i fought. it fastened with a ribbon in the back. if you're also wearing neck armor the ruff will peek out of the metal and it is adorable

I went to an ecumenical service on NYE and the protestant priest was wearing a tiny ruffle sticking out of his standing collar. Can confirm that it's adorable.

There was also a female Dominican wearing a white cassock who I later learned is a big campaigner for women's rights in the Church. The church building was designed by the same guy that did novy dvur that I posted about in the last thread. Maybe I'll put up a picture of it later.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

I went to an ecumenical service on NYE and the protestant priest was wearing a tiny ruffle sticking out of his standing collar. Can confirm that it's adorable.
the tiny ruffle is good

edit: the homily today was really good--our priest talked about how he and the other priests/ministers/religious leaders in our city met with the mayor and the cops to get something started for helping the homeless. He was really proud that members of all the Christian denominations in this city were there, "from the most liberal groups--they say anything goes--on down, all Christians believe that we must love and help one another." He was so stoked.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 16, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

the tiny ruffle is good

edit: the homily today was really good--our priest talked about how he and the other priests/ministers/religious leaders in our city met with the mayor and the cops to get something started for helping the homeless. He was really proud that members of all the Christian denominations in this city were there, "from the most liberal groups--they say anything goes--on down, all Christians believe that we must love and help one another." He was so stoked.

hey baby you drat sexy excepting the scissors, that's rather deliberately violent

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

pidan posted:

Nooo

If you're trying to get away from the Catholics as far as possible while staying in (the free state of) Bavaria, try the regions around Bayreuth or Ansbach. And as far as number of adherents goes, try Nuremberg (30% of each) or any city in east Germany (none of either :dawkins101:).
Also in Munich there's a very wide variety of Catholic denominations.

Yeah, but those regions you mentioned are again majority Protestant, right? And while the number of adherents ceased to be a good measure of a Church's (historical) influence - Munich has been and in some ways still is deeply influenced by its Catholic history, even if people with no religious affiliation outnumber Catholics by now iirc - it doesn't hide the fact that due to Germany's history of cuius regio eius religio most cities and regions are majority (or at least plurality) Catholic/Lutheran/Reformed. You mentioned Nuremberg: the old town of Nuremberg (and maybe that's oen of my many weaknesses, that as a historian I put too much importance on history :v:) was virtually 100% Protestant after the Reformation, and I think that most of the churches there are still Lutheran or Reformed, whereas most of the traditional Catholic population in Nuremberg probably lived in the traditionally Catholic regions surrounding the city that were incorporated during the last century or so. The increased mobility and migration of our time might have changed that in regard to the old town too though, I actually don't know anybody from Nuremberg :v:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, but those regions you mentioned are again majority Protestant, right? And while the number of adherents ceased to be a good measure of a Church's (historical) influence - Munich has been and in some ways still is deeply influenced by its Catholic history, even if people with no religious affiliation outnumber Catholics by now iirc - it doesn't hide the fact that due to Germany's history of cuius regio eius religio most cities and regions are majority (or at least plurality) Catholic/Lutheran/Reformed. You mentioned Nuremberg: the old town of Nuremberg (and maybe that's oen of my many weaknesses, that as a historian I put too much importance on history :v:) was virtually 100% Protestant after the Reformation, and I think that most of the churches there are still Lutheran or Reformed, whereas most of the traditional Catholic population in Nuremberg probably lived in the traditionally Catholic regions surrounding the city that were incorporated during the last century or so. The increased mobility and migration of our time might have changed that in regard to the old town too though, I actually don't know anybody from Nuremberg :v:

Yeah but you said "it's pretty hard to find a spot in Bavaria where the next Catholic church, chapel or cross is more than a mile away, for example" and, depending on how you define Bavaria, that's totally not true at all.
In Munich, something like 45% of people are not registered as any religion (though I'd guess that many of them are immigrants who just haven't registered in the German system). In Munich the rest is 33% Catholic and 12% Protestant, in Nuremberg it's 35% Protestant and 28% Catholic.

The religious history of Nuremberg is actually pretty interesting. At the time of the reformation the region had a bit of a chaotic situation going on, with a robber knight named Hans Thomas von Absberg and his iron-handed buddy Götz von Berlichingen attacking the town multiple times. Once that was dealt with, a peasant uprising created big problems for the nearby prince-bishops of Bamberg and Würzburg. In 1525 Nuremberg converted to protestantism, after the ideas of the reformation had spread among its citizens. This was a big boost for the reformation, because Nuremberg was home to a lot of printers and artists.
100 years later, the city was occupied by the Swedes for three years, and during that time no one was allowed to hold any Catholic mass. Even after that, Nuremberg didn't allow Catholics to gain citizenship until it was incorporated into the state of Bavaria in 1806.
After that the proportion of Catholics in Nuremberg's population went up quickly, and reached 28% by 1900. A number of churches became dedicated to Catholic services once more, among them the Frauenkirche with its sweet mechanical clock:

Apparently the Teutonic Order had always retained a Catholic enclave and church in Nuremberg, but the Bavarians put a stop to that during secularization. It was re-founded in 2007 though, so I guess we're well prepared for the next 30 years' war.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Also here's the church I promised earlier:

View from the altar:

They can do a lot of nice things with the lighting.

When I entered this church I got all excited because I thought it's the one Metternich posted at some point, but alas it's not the same church at all:

Apparently the person in charge of the church's renovation went to novy dvur, looked up the architect and told him "do the same thing here":

and it sure seems like he did

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

That's a pretty interesting-looking church judging by the photos. Not sure if I'd like actually attending services there though, it almost seems somewhat... sterile?

And yeah, my sentence about Catholic Bavaria was hyperbolic and excluded Franconia, sorry :v:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

With that first church, I half expect Morgan Freeman to step out and chat with Neo while getting ready to judge the Always Sunny gang.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Catholic bishops of Malta announced today that it is "humanly impossible" for some people to live without sex.

There are obviously no goons in Malta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

VoteTedJameson posted:

Then we've got Moravians and Mennonites, who are very insular and not really looking for an outsider like me.

The Mennonites, maybe, but the Moravians will warmly welcome you, they're just not supposed to proselytize about it. If you'd posted this about a month ago I'd have urged you to visit one of their Lovefeast services for Christmas, because those are super great---carols, brass band, beeswax candles to take home, spiced rolls, and overly sweet coffee all in one service.

• Locked thread