Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Looking forward to the new tournament bracket-style playoffs with drivers being matched up head to head each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

mearn posted:

Looking forward to the new tournament bracket-style playoffs with drivers being matched up head to head each week.

If you're familiar with other Monster styled series, this is more likely what they would want

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wicka posted:

Can't wait until Jimmie clinches the title with three races left.

You say this, but no driver in NASCAR has ever or will ever be a bigger beneficiary of the Chase than Jimmiebot, as his career goes from "spectacular" to "very respectable" without it. His 36-race points finishes:
2002- 5th
2003- 2nd
2004- 2nd
2005- 3rd
2006- 1st
2007- 2nd
2008- 2nd
2009- 1st
2010- 2nd
2011- 4th
2012- 3rd
2013- 1st
2014- 9th
2015- 6th
2016- 8th

Granted, in 2017, we'll have Jimmie be the Scott Dixon to a much more fun Cup equivalent of JPM from 2015 in IndyCar, but without the Chase, Jimmie is Mark Martin with a couple more titles.

...which rolls out a whole new issue of NASCAR Constant Improvement Plan historical bullshit. "MEMBAH WHEN WE HAD THAT FANCY WAY OF CROWNING A CHAMPEEN!?!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he'd of won 7 titles under the old format, too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

You say this, but no driver in NASCAR has ever or will ever be a bigger beneficiary of the Chase than Jimmiebot, as his career goes from "spectacular" to "very respectable" without it. His 36-race points finishes:
2002- 5th
2003- 2nd
2004- 2nd
2005- 3rd
2006- 1st
2007- 2nd
2008- 2nd
2009- 1st
2010- 2nd
2011- 4th
2012- 3rd
2013- 1st
2014- 9th
2015- 6th
2016- 8th

Granted, in 2017, we'll have Jimmie be the Scott Dixon to a much more fun Cup equivalent of JPM from 2015 in IndyCar, but without the Chase, Jimmie is Mark Martin with a couple more titles.

...which rolls out a whole new issue of NASCAR Constant Improvement Plan historical bullshit. "MEMBAH WHEN WE HAD THAT FANCY WAY OF CROWNING A CHAMPEEN!?!"

Yes but, as we've gone over before, they drive to the rules they are given, and you can't just retroactively apply different rules and assume the title would've turned out exactly that way.

And the 2017 thread title surely must be

kidcoelacanth posted:

Boy I hate the chase

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Same because it means he actually ran all the races for once.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'd rather have Jimmie Johnson clinch the championship in August than have the loving chase whittle drivers down for 2 months just for JJ to win anyways.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

I'd rather have Jimmie Johnson clinch the championship in August than have the loving chase whittle drivers down for 2 months just for JJ to win anyways.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It would be loving hilarious to me if the iRacing series introduces the Chase right as the real world series drops it.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Peanut President posted:

Same. Then we could care who gets into the top 5 and the top 10. People who claim "bbbbbbut Kenseth!" have forgotten that there was some dramatic stuff involved with getting into the top 10 in 2003, culminating in some old guys (Bill Elliott, both Labontes) making the cut at the end, which was cool.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Harveygod posted:

Same. Then we could care who gets into the top 5 and the top 10. People who claim "bbbbbbut Kenseth!" have forgotten that there was some dramatic stuff involved with getting into the top 10 in 2003, culminating in some old guys (Bill Elliott, both Labontes) making the cut at the end, which was cool.

It's things like that we've lost with the Chase. Jeff Gordon was in the mid-teens in points in 2015 until he got hot late and finished 8th.

I remember being excited about Newman, Harvick, and Kurt Busch wrecking each other while three wide, paving the way for a Terry Labonte 10th place points finish which ruled.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
goodbye thread, you were my second home on these forums and my posting career will most likely come to an end today. its been fun

remember, Sterling Marlin did nothing wrong

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Seizure Meat posted:

goodbye thread, you were my second home on these forums and my posting career will most likely come to an end today. its been fun

RIP.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Seizure Meat posted:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

CBJSprague24 posted:

2002- 5th
2003- 2nd
2004- 2nd
2005- 3rd
2006- 1st
2007- 2nd
2008- 2nd
2009- 1st
2010- 2nd
2011- 4th
2012- 3rd
2013- 1st
2014- 9th
2015- 6th
2016- 8th

jesus

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Finished lower than 3rd twice in his first 12 years, while not even racing for the purpose. He good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's extremely good.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's things like that we've lost with the Chase. Jeff Gordon was in the mid-teens in points in 2015 until he got hot late and finished 8th.

I remember being excited about Newman, Harvick, and Kurt Busch wrecking each other while three wide, paving the way for a Terry Labonte 10th place points finish which ruled.

Absolutely. And to go a step further, maybe we would be able to focus on how drivers are performing in EACH RACE. The 2014-present format made who's running 2nd-40th completely irrelevant. There's so little focus on strategy, on what's happening during a race, that I always get the impression broadcasters are surprised by a lead change (e.g. Mr. Where Did He Come From?!).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

viking got so mad that the forums werent working that he got himself banned, i guess? and he always seemed so level headed!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

viking got so mad that the forums werent working that he got himself banned, i guess? and he always seemed so level headed!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoHXEJRuV80

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

When's your banme?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

When's your banme?

Trust me, Peanut - when I become an alt-right lunatic who thinks the forums are a giant conspiracy, you will be the FIRST to know.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Trust me, Peanut - when I become an alt-right lunatic who thinks the forums are a giant conspiracy, you will be the FIRST to know.

Wow..looks like I need to see why he got banned.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

You honestly don't. It's nice to just use these forums to argue about race cars and not consider that some people take something awful dot com very, very seriously.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

The internet makes you stupid.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

I mean you're already a bad posting lunatic so you're part way there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I mean you're already a bad posting lunatic so you're part way there.

The last mile is always the hardest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

wicka posted:

The last mile is always the hardest.

Have you considered Klurfs

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

My boy DJ Kennington should make the 500 :canada:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

This is the kind of stupid I can get behind.

http://www.catchfence.com/253895/ch..._source=twitter

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol that would be such a clusterfuck

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Give Road America a Cup date already.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

This is the kind of stupid I can get behind.

http://www.catchfence.com/253895/ch..._source=twitter

If it's the fall race and the doubleheader format is true, I bet they run both configurations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I could barely hold a lap together on that piece of poo poo in iracing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Phoneposting, but there's a video of Dinger running the infield on Twitter and oh God the hairpin exiting the infield. :roflolmao:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

circuit gilles villeneuve is another option, but this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CBJSprague24 posted:

Phoneposting, but there's a video of Dinger running the infield on Twitter and oh God the hairpin exiting the infield. :roflolmao:

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-stages-road-course-test-at-charlotte-motor-speedway-866949/

The rovalest road course

e: why the hell did they modify it to have such an awful tight hairpin like that?

• Locked thread