Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
PolyGame Master, a Taiwanese arcade system (I had to look it up too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Metal Slug clone they made wasn't terrible... Demon Front?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That Metal Slug clone they made wasn't terrible... Demon Front?

Yeah most stuff on it isn't like actively bad it just doesn't seem like a must-own thing for me, every PGM game I've played just comes off as whatever to me for some reason, like it's all very very chinese and I guess you either like that or you don't

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

falz posted:

(Wife loves burger time arcade and coleco, I'm hoping this can prevent me from finding the arcade version)

All I'm reading from this is you don't love your wife enough to put in the effort to hunt down an arcade board for her. :colbert:

Or you could hunt down a Coleco and Burger Time for that, I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I suppose I'm new to this thread but like...there's a lot of ways to play Burger Time with an arcade stick and a computer. Unless you're actually trying to track down a Burger Time board

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
The Sega Genesis original 6 button controllers are increasingly hard to find in my country. Most are expensive and in bad shape. So I have began to wonder how good a replacement would be the wired Atgames 6 button pads that come with their consoles.

I know that the Hyperkin controller is okay, but has flawed diagonals, according to reviews, and that the Tomee controller is useless. For the price of a single Hyperkin controller or almost the price of a used controller in my country, I could buy a new older Atgames console with two controllers.

Would this be a good plan? Are the wired Atgames controllers better than the Hyperkin? How do they compare to the Sega controllers?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

Yeah most stuff on it isn't like actively bad it just doesn't seem like a must-own thing for me, every PGM game I've played just comes off as whatever to me for some reason, like it's all very very chinese and I guess you either like that or you don't

Yeah it sure as hell isn't an alternative to a MVS or whatever.

Those IGS brawlers comes out on PS3/4 so often but I don't keep track of which is which. They'd probably do okay if they put them on Steam, it's not like they'd have a lot of competition.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All I'm reading from this is you don't love your wife enough to put in the effort to hunt down an arcade board for her. :colbert:

Or you could hunt down a Coleco and Burger Time for that, I guess.
Oh we already have coleco burger time, just want the arcade experience. Honestly I'd buy an arcade cabinet but they're really hard to come by and expensive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Data East compilation for Wii has the arcade version of Burger Time

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

In Training posted:

I suppose I'm new to this thread but like...there's a lot of ways to play Burger Time with an arcade stick and a computer. Unless you're actually trying to track down a Burger Time board
I was going to say gently caress emulation but that's probably what's going on on the PSX version, hence my question.

I don't want to hook a computer up to a CRT or deal with any of that, just consoles or maybe arcade board stuff.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Topolino posted:

Genesis 6 button talk

I have two of the Hyperkins and I haven't noticed any real issues. They're probably the best you're going to get as far as newly-made ones go, and they're well worth the money.

Edit: I haven't tried the Atgames ones, but judging by the pictures, they're the worse reproductions.

azurite fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 16, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tectoy's producing new 3-button controllers from their original molds, I wonder if they'll put out 6-button controllers in the future.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I bought this one too, and it isn't too bad for the price. I needed a couple of throwaways to lend out, and these were great for that. Bear in mind that the cord is very short and flimsy. It's also smaller than the Hyperkin, so it's not a faithful clone of the original at all. It does have a mode button, unlike a lot of the worse versions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5BSFQY/

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Just search for ガリウスの迷宮 for Maze of Galious and try and find a Toshiba HX-10D/DP or Sony HB-101 on the Japanese webstore or auction site of your choice. Galious CIB can be pricy, but a cart pops up for cheap in auctions a lot, and do not pay more than $20-$25 for the MSX itself. Should be no more than $60-ish total, but expect to pay a LOT for shipping if you don't want to slow boat it.

If you feel like spending a little more, you could get a Panasonic FS-A1 for $30-60 and play any MSX/MSX2 cartridge game released.

Where in the world are you seeing these prices? Ebay has priced me out on all of these models.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tectoy's producing new 3-button controllers from their original molds, I wonder if they'll put out 6-button controllers in the future.

That would be nice. I got a six button Genesis controller, but it from the third revision so it not the nicest feeling controller.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

UnhandledException posted:

Where in the world are you seeing these prices? Ebay has priced me out on all of these models.

quote:

Just search for ガリウスの迷宮 for Maze of Galious and try and find a Toshiba HX-10D/DP or Sony HB-101 on the Japanese webstore or auction site of your choice. Galious CIB can be pricy, but a cart pops up for cheap in auctions a lot, and do not pay more than $20-$25 for the MSX itself. Should be no more than $60-ish total, but expect to pay a LOT for shipping if you don't want to slow boat it.

If you feel like spending a little more, you could get a Panasonic FS-A1 for $30-60 and play any MSX/MSX2 cartridge game released.

Bolded for you. Try Y! Auctions JP.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MSX1 stuff is cheap and plentiful but MSX2 system prices are pretty high no matter where you go I think. Yeah you see things like the FS-A1 cheap but these are usually missing the power supply which has a really nonstandard connector, are extremely beat up, or both. I've been looking for a while too, I sold all my MSX2 stuff around 2012 when I lost a job and have regretted it ever since, particularly since I had some titles I know I'll never see again like Yuureikun and Girly Block. I would like to find a new FS-A1 and get a flash cart but it's been a lot harder than it looks

e:

pic of some of the carts I had that I had to get rid of :(

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Man, Chapter 3 of Startropics can eat a dick.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

MSX1 stuff is cheap and plentiful but MSX2 system prices are pretty high no matter where you go I think. Yeah you see things like the FS-A1 cheap but these are usually missing the power supply which has a really nonstandard connector, are extremely beat up, or both. I've been looking for a while too, I sold all my MSX2 stuff around 2012 when I lost a job and have regretted it ever since, particularly since I had some titles I know I'll never see again like Yuureikun and Girly Block. I would like to find a new FS-A1 and get a flash cart but it's been a lot harder than it looks

e:

pic of some of the carts I had that I had to get rid of :(

This is a good point on the adapters, though I have seen individual bricks pop up on Yahoo Auctions for $15-30 in the last month or so. The Sony HB-F1 is also pretty much the same machine specs-wise and has an FS-A1 compatible power brick; people don't seem to recognize this so it can be found cheaper than a lot of overpriced 10,000 yen FS-A1 auctions with "beautiful machine!" stamped all over the title that struggle to sell. An HB-F1 with brick is on Y Auctions now for 6,800 min bid/7,200 BIN.

Those carts though, that's almost an $800 stack. Aleste and Kikikaikai especially don't ever pop up for reasonable prices, I feel your pain man.

Never use Ebay, machines especially are inflated to maybe 2x the price of what you'll find elsewhere.

edit: On HX-10s especially jesus. No way in heck is an HX-10 worth $70. Every machine I see on Ebay is also a European model, don't know if that affects compatibility. You can check this by seeing if the Keyboard has a £ key.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Counterpoint: I'd rather spend more money than deal with the neo-geo forums

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Smoking Crow posted:

Counterpoint: I'd rather spend more money than deal with the neo-geo forums

Why would you need to?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Charles Get-Out posted:

Why would you need to?

It's the only place neo geo games are priced fairly

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

quote:

on the Japanese webstore or auction site of your choice.

Caitlin posted:

Bolded for you. Try Y! Auctions JP.

A bunch of the sites that let you proxy order from Japan have gone under because of the stricter laws, so I don't have a site of choice anymore. I was under the impression Americans couldn't even order directly from Yahoo auctions in Japan.

Can anyone recommend specific sites or is there a current list of good sites you can order retro gaming from Japan (shipped to USA)? I'd rather just order an MSX directly from a webstore if possible.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

A bunch of the sites that let you proxy order from Japan have gone under because of the stricter laws, so I don't have a site of choice anymore. I was under the impression Americans couldn't even order directly from Yahoo auctions in Japan.

Can anyone recommend specific sites or is there a current list of good sites you can order retro gaming from Japan (shipped to USA)? I'd rather just order an MSX directly from a webstore if possible.

Many went under because Auctions partnered with Buyee for foreign orders. Buyee will gouge you on fees and shipping a bit. My proxy of choice is Proxy Rabbit , but they can be too slow sometimes to catch and bid on auction items.

http://www.japangamestock.com/ will also sometimes carry games for good prices, but I've never seen a system sold there and they don't do CIB MSX games.

And, cause it bears repeating and people tend to be caught off-guard, shipping will be expensive unless you slowboat your stuff.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
MSX buying tips cause I wanted to and it’s pretty confusing and I've word saladed a bunch of MSX crap recently. You should definitely not pay the upper end on any of the prices I list; knowing what you're looking at and for can save you a ton of money.

TL;DR
If you want to play 99% of MSX cartridge games and don’t want to mess with disks, you want a basic MSX2.

You want an MSX? ($10-$50)
Look for a Toshiba HX-10 or Sony HB-101, other models exist and are cheap, but these two are the most common. The Toshiba HX-10DPN will do RGB, but it is kind of rare.

Good exclusive MSX games:
Knightmare, Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious, Penguin Adventure, Gall Force - Defense of Chaos, Red Zone, Yie Ar Kung Fu II, Crest of the Dragon King Hades of Darkness

You want an MSX2? ($30-$100 without disk drive, $150-$200 with disk drive)
Look for a Panasonic FS-A1, FS-A1mkII, or a Sony HB-F1 and make sure it includes a power adapter. There's also an expansive list of models here, most any listed will be just fine.

Good exclusive MSX2 games:
Just about everything else released will work on an MSX2, cart or disk.

You want an MSX2+? ($100-$350, $250+ is about what I’d expect for a modded unit with expanded RAM, working disk drive, and probably a full recap. Maybe a box too.)
Look for a Panasonic FS-A1WX/WSX or a Sony HB-F1XDJ/XV.

Good exclusive MSX2+ games:
Space Manbow runs smoother? Also easier to get an MSX2+ to run floppy disk games.

You want an MSX TurboR? ($450+)
No, you don't. You do not want a TurboR. It had 8 games and the one people would want to play has MSX2+ and PC Engine CD versions.

Trap Models!
- The Panasonic FS-A1FX is an MSX2+ without built-in FM sound; the MSX2+ premium is largely split between FM Sound and the FDD.
- The Panasonic FS-A1F isn’t really a “trap,” but it’s an MSX2 with a hard-to-replace disk drive and no FM Sound that often commands MSX2+ prices
- The Sony HB-F1XD and HB-F1XDmkII look like the Sony MSX2+ models, but are MSX2s! Auctions will sometimes try and trick you on this or are wrong. You can tell these machines apart because they have red or white FDD enclosures; Sony MSX2+s have gray and black enclosures.
- The Sony HB-F500-F900 have funny RAM slots and can have compatibility issues
- TurboRs. Seriously they aren’t worth the money.

Tips & Tricks
- FM Sound is expensive and not built into MSX2s! If you’re considering a machine without FM Sound note that it might take while to source a reasonably-priced FM Sound cartridge. Make sure the games you want to play use FM Sound before you spend cash on the feature.
- Konami games do not need FM Sound! They have a proprietary built-in chip (SCC Sound).
- Expanded RAM is only dubiously useful. You can get the same results with a newer flashcart or an FS-A1WSX/WX, $5 worth of DRAM chips, and soldering skills.
- Disk-based games are a crapshoot and trying to ensure your MSX will run them is expensive. Newer flashcarts can run disk images.
- The readily available flash carts (MegaFlashROM) are cool and good, but will take some tinkering to set up properly. Definitely not as easy as Everdrives.
- The Sony MSX2+s are the only models that are readily compatible with floppy drive emulators. Most other MSXs will need some sort of cable adapter and might not work properly.
- Do not use Ebay!
- Shipping will be expensive! SAL is cheaper but can take forever.

Resources:
MSX Resource Center. The wiki has lists of machines of varying types.
Generation MSX. Can help you locate Japanese names for games for searching.
Buyee. Good for searching and browsing Yahoo Auctions (MSX category is in Computers -> Computers -> MSX), can be expensive to buy through.
MSX Repro Factory. Here be 3rd Party FM Sound Carts. Currently not in production though. Also has good indie games sometimes.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 16, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
OK, I think I have a game plan on the arcade cabinet. I have a different computer than the original to run it. The problem is the computer is a small computer that has mobo,case,and psu all designed so that I have zero molex connections on the power supply. I need at least one molex connection to power the keyboard encoder.

I have space on the power strip so I could run an additional power supply just for this one molex.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a power supply that will supply power to the encoder with a single molex.
Hooking up another full sized psu for that one connection seems like overkill.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

OK, I think I have a game plan on the arcade cabinet. I have a different computer than the original to run it. The problem is the computer is a small computer that has mobo,case,and psu all designed so that I have zero molex connections on the power supply. I need at least one molex connection to power the keyboard encoder.

I have space on the power strip so I could run an additional power supply just for this one molex.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a power supply that will supply power to the encoder with a single molex.
Hooking up another full sized psu for that one connection seems like overkill.

If you're OK with replacing the PSU you have outright, you can get modular ones where you can just hook up the cables you need.

You can also see if you can track down an IDE-to-USB adapter, those generally come with a small power supply like what a laptop has which just has a single molex connector on it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

univbee posted:

If you're OK with replacing the PSU you have outright, you can get modular ones where you can just hook up the cables you need.

If I can't fit it in the case I can just use one I have now outside the case.
I'll have to look for a slim PSU. Do you know if there's a standard slim psu and does the standard have a name?

EDIT -
I might have another solution.
The only additional unused connection on the PSU I want to use is square with 4 pins and has P2 stamped on it. Can I get a connector that converts that to molex? Is that connector supplying the correct output?

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 16, 2017

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

d0s posted:

Apart from some bootleg Cave games hacked to work with the cart system (ketsui, espgaluda, ddpdoj) what's good on the PGM/PGM2? It's just a bunch of Chinese made fighters and beatemups that have like 5 nearly identical versions each. Like oriental legend is kinda fun but it's not some amazing thing

edit: those bootleg cave games are like $200 each too

My PGM list was:
Demon Front - Metal slug with demons
Donpachi 2 - classic vert
Dragon World 2,3,2001 - Mahjong games that are cheap and playable without a Mahjong CP.
Knights Of Valor 1&2 - Beatemups
Oriental Legend - Beatemups
Cave Conversions
There are lots of versions of Knights of Valor and Oriental Legends, which are slightly different. I would just by one of each type.

All in I probably dropped 1k in everything but the Cave conversions. Is it worth it, no. It is interesting if you are looking for a lesser known system with some neat beatemups. I would not buy the Cave conversions, or Don Pachi, they use to be super cheap, but have gone up substantially in the past few years as people learn more about the PGM.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've always kinda wanted an MSX/2 and that big post is probably going to convince me to get one once I can cover shipping that will be more than the computer itself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

fastbilly1 posted:

My PGM list was:
Demon Front - Metal slug with demons
Donpachi 2 - classic vert
Dragon World 2,3,2001 - Mahjong games that are cheap and playable without a Mahjong CP.
Knights Of Valor 1&2 - Beatemups
Oriental Legend - Beatemups
Cave Conversions
There are lots of versions of Knights of Valor and Oriental Legends, which are slightly different. I would just by one of each type.

All in I probably dropped 1k in everything but the Cave conversions. Is it worth it, no. It is interesting if you are looking for a lesser known system with some neat beatemups. I would not buy the Cave conversions, or Don Pachi, they use to be super cheap, but have gone up substantially in the past few years as people learn more about the PGM.

It's not a super deep fighting game but I love IGS' Martial Masters, also on PGM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac65Nf9HmKI

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Elliotw2 posted:

I've always kinda wanted an MSX/2 and that big post is probably going to convince me to get one once I can cover shipping that will be more than the computer itself.

If you order one through Buyee, the total fees+fastest shipping speed will be around 9,000-10,000 yen, so yeah probably more than you'll pay for the MSX. The yen is super weak right now so it's a good time buy if you were considering it.

edit: Proxy Rabbit usually works out to cheaper than Buyee in my experience. If anyone knows of any other reliable proxies I'd love to hear about them.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 16, 2017

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Charles Get-Out posted:

MSX buying tips cause I wanted to and it’s pretty confusing and I've word saladed a bunch of MSX crap recently.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Charles Get-Out posted:

MSX buying tips cause I wanted to and it’s pretty confusing and I've word saladed a bunch of MSX crap recently. You should definitely not pay the upper end on any of the prices I list; knowing what you're looking at and for can save you a ton of money.

TL;DR
If you want to play 99% of MSX cartridge games and don’t want to mess with disks, you want a basic MSX2.

You want an MSX? ($10-$50)
Look for a Toshiba HX-10 or Sony HB-101, other models exist and are cheap, but these two are the most common. The Toshiba HX-10DPN will do RGB, but it is kind of rare.

Good exclusive MSX games:
Knightmare, Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious, Penguin Adventure, Gall Force - Defense of Chaos, Red Zone, Yie Ar Kung Fu II, Crest of the Dragon King Hades of Darkness

You want an MSX2? ($30-$100 without disk drive, $150-$200 with disk drive)
Look for a Panasonic FS-A1, FS-A1mkII, or a Sony HB-F1 and make sure it includes a power adapter. There's also an expansive list of models here, most any listed will be just fine.

Good exclusive MSX2 games:
Just about everything else released will work on an MSX2, cart or disk.

You want an MSX2+? ($100-$350, $250+ is about what I’d expect for a modded unit with expanded RAM, working disk drive, and probably a full recap. Maybe a box too.)
Look for a Panasonic FS-A1WX/WSX or a Sony HB-F1XDJ/XV.

Good exclusive MSX2+ games:
Space Manbow runs smoother? Also easier to get an MSX2+ to run floppy disk games.

You want an MSX TurboR? ($450+)
No, you don't. You do not want a TurboR. It had 8 games and the one people would want to play has MSX2+ and PC Engine CD versions.

Trap Models!
- The Panasonic FS-A1FX is an MSX2+ without built-in FM sound; the MSX2+ premium is largely split between FM Sound and the FDD.
- The Panasonic FS-A1F isn’t really a “trap,” but it’s an MSX2 with a hard-to-replace disk drive and no FM Sound that often commands MSX2+ prices
- The Sony HB-F1XD and HB-F1XDmkII look like the Sony MSX2+ models, but are MSX2s! Auctions will sometimes try and trick you on this or are wrong. You can tell these machines apart because they have red or white FDD enclosures; Sony MSX2+s have gray and black enclosures.
- The Sony HB-F500-F900 have funny RAM slots and can have compatibility issues
- TurboRs. Seriously they aren’t worth the money.

Tips & Tricks
- FM Sound is expensive and not built into MSX2s! If you’re considering a machine without FM Sound note that it might take while to source a reasonably-priced FM Sound cartridge. Make sure the games you want to play use FM Sound before you spend cash on the feature.
- Konami games do not need FM Sound! They have a proprietary built-in chip (SCC Sound).
- Expanded RAM is only dubiously useful. You can get the same results with a newer flashcart or an FS-A1WSX/WX, $5 worth of DRAM chips, and soldering skills.
- Disk-based games are a crapshoot and trying to ensure your MSX will run them is expensive. Newer flashcarts can run disk images.
- The readily available flash carts (MegaFlashROM) are cool and good, but will take some tinkering to set up properly. Definitely not as easy as Everdrives.
- The Sony MSX2+s are the only models that are readily compatible with floppy drive emulators. Most other MSXs will need some sort of cable adapter and might not work properly.
- Do not use Ebay!
- Shipping will be expensive! SAL is cheaper but can take forever.

Resources:
MSX Resource Center. The wiki has lists of machines of varying types.
Generation MSX. Can help you locate Japanese names for games for searching.
Buyee. Good for searching and browsing Yahoo Auctions (MSX category is in Computers -> Computers -> MSX), can be expensive to buy through.
MSX Repro Factory. Here be 3rd Party FM Sound Carts. Currently not in production though. Also has good indie games sometimes.

You should post this heat in the Retro Computing thread. It is quality info.
(Though remember for me any game over 20 bucks is expensive because I am both cheap and have enough poo poo to play for the rest of my life and probably a second one. I still regret not getting that 15 bucks shipped MSX Ogre cart for my Ogre collection. I loves me some Ogre. God's own hex and chit Wargame. Only original Squad Leader and Avalon Hill's 125th anniversary Gettysburg come close.)

I do understand that controllers are rough to get though? Like Vectrex 2nd controller level?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Return to Dinosaur Land should have been an official sequel. It's very, very good. Had an etsy guy make a "reproduction" for me.

I drunkbought Super Mario RPG last night. Goodbye $60.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Return to Dinosaur Land should have been an official sequel. It's very, very good. Had an etsy guy make a "reproduction" for me.

I drunkbought Super Mario RPG last night. Goodbye $60.

New Year's Day, 2:30 AM after a few beers I drunkbid on what I thought was Ducktales 1 and 2 on the NES both CIB. On further inspection in the morning, it was Ducktales 1 and 2 with custom cases (:barf:) and fridge magnets about the size of an NES manual with the cover art on them. Looking on the bright side, at least DT2 was a legit copy.

That was a $200 mistake but will be rectified as soon as I beat Ducktales 2. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any reasonably priced SNES -> SFC adapters? I bought a GameSaver just because it has a right angle connector that would let me pop a square US cart into my SFC. I knew it was butt ugly and tall but I didn't really realize how annoying it looks until it came in the mail today.

Part of me is thinking about doing up a PCB and 3D printing a riser. Can't possibly look much worse.

And yeah, I do have a SD2SNES coming but sometimes you just wanna stick a legit cart in.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Captain Rufus posted:

You should post this heat in the Retro Computing thread. It is quality info.
(Though remember for me any game over 20 bucks is expensive because I am both cheap and have enough poo poo to play for the rest of my life and probably a second one. I still regret not getting that 15 bucks shipped MSX Ogre cart for my Ogre collection. I loves me some Ogre. God's own hex and chit Wargame. Only original Squad Leader and Avalon Hill's 125th anniversary Gettysburg come close.)

I do understand that controllers are rough to get though? Like Vectrex 2nd controller level?

Controllers are available, but depending on the brand they can be a little pricey, like $30 range. Apparently Genesis controllers are super easy to mod for MSX use and a lot of US fans just do that.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Martytoof posted:

Are there any reasonably priced SNES -> SFC adapters? I bought a GameSaver just because it has a right angle connector that would let me pop a square US cart into my SFC. I knew it was butt ugly and tall but I didn't really realize how annoying it looks until it came in the mail today.

Part of me is thinking about doing up a PCB and 3D printing a riser. Can't possibly look much worse.

And yeah, I do have a SD2SNES coming but sometimes you just wanna stick a legit cart in.

What's "reasonable" for pricing?

The most readily available option that might work (but no clue, really) would be something called a Super Game Key that I see on the European Ebay sites (Ebay.fr, at least). It's supposed to allow US and Japanese cartridges to run on a PAL SNES, which used the same physical cartridge format as the Japanese system. No idea if that would affect the way it functions on an NTSC Super Famicom. The prices I'm seeing are 23 to 30 Euros (so probably $24 to $32, since the Euro - dollar exchange rate is actually pretty decent right now), plus another 9 to 15 Euros for shipping, assuming the seller offers it internationally. I'm assuming you're in the US; if you're in Canada or Mexico or somewhere else, you'll have to check for yourself. There's also the issue that some games (like SuperFX titles, perhaps) might not play nicely through an adapter, if everything isn't wired up from the slot to the PCB edge pins, but I can't speak to this from experience.

Honestly? You'd probably be better off picking up a US SNES console or sticking to the SD2SNES for US games. I get that people have some big weird love for the aesthetics of the Super Famicom, but it's very much a dead end console for games that weren't released on the Japanese market unless you want to mangle up the cartridge slot like a wolverine to widen it for US carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They exist, but the prices on these things has gone up to where an SNES is a cheaper investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Protection-Socket-Slot-for-Super-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-To-SNES-SFC/331977688312
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Su...7AAAOSwt5hYdCZb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honey-Bee-Super-Magic-Game-Converter-Rar-Super-Nintendo-SNES-/201782016529?hash=item2efb253a11:g:kroAAOSwA3dYd-R7

All of these are basically the same dumb converter, so you still have to use NTSC carts and systems or whatever.

• Locked thread