Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Don't cross the anime streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Right well thanks for the answers :tipshat:

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
So there is the January sale going on in Europe and I was thinking about getting into some Japanese games. I have 20€ of PSN credit left but I am afraid to miss out on some of those deals so I might add some more.

I already bought Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus :heysexy:, which seems pretty fun but probably too hard for me unless something clicks and I start getting it. I also got Freedom Wars, played maybe 2 hours of it so far and I really like the setting. I have never played a hunting game before and so far I am not absolutely sure if this is my kind of game. Still, I am thinking about getting God Eater 2 Rage Burst for 20€, mostly because I heard some good things and because I think it won't be this cheap for quite a while. Also, it looks great and there might actually be some people playing it online. Just not sure if I will get into the actual core gameplay.

Other than that there is Tales of Hearts R for 10€. I have never played a Tales game but I love the Ys games and am hoping for something that scratches that itch. Am I right there? Seems to be a lot of game for the price, though rather graphically rather ugly

Then there is Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for 20€ and I really don't know what to think about that game, the combat system seems so convoluted. Still pretty interesting.

The Legend of Heroes: ToC1 and Toc2 for 15€ and 25€. Combat seems related to Persona 4, which I loved but not really because of the combat.

Are any of the Neptunia games (13-20€) or MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (15€) worth playing for mechanics and/or story?

I'll just assume Criminal Girls, Monster Monpiece and Gal*Gun are poo poo.

At last there are SteinsGate for 8€/25€ and Zero Escape: ZTD for 22€. The only visual novels I played were the Dangan Ronpa games. I really enjoyed the first one but somehow never got around to finishing the second one.

Muramasa Rebirth for 5,49€ seems cool but I bet that is much too hard for me.

That's quite a lot of stuff and I am sorry for my bad English, as it is not my first language, but maybe someone has a very strong opinion on some of the games. Any must-buys?

skit herre fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

skit herre posted:

Other than that there is Tales of Hearts R for 10€. I have never played a Tales game but I love the Ys games and am hoping for something that scratches that itch. Am I right there? Seems to be a lot of game for the price, though rather graphically rather ugly

This would probably suit your needs. It's a good price and it's a good simple action RPG from what i've played. There are random battles on the world map but it's not too bad. The battle system is a fun hack slash type deal but i don't think it really has Ys style bosses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hearts R isn't much like Ys, it's more of a traditional JRPG but with real-time combat. It's pretty decent though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

skit herre posted:

Then there is Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for 20€ and I really don't know what to think about that game, the combat system seems so convoluted. Still pretty interesting.

Do not get this on Vita until you watch some recent video of the Vita version, it had massive performance issues and probably still does

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Hearts isn't really like Ys, but it's still a pretty good game. If you ever played Star Ocean, it's closer to that. And if not, uh, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJBTnrtPLE&t=128s here's what a boss battle looks like in Hearts R.

If you enjoyed Dangan Ronpa, you'll probably enjoy Steins;Gate, it's a little less goofy (especially towards the end) and its premise is totally different, but it's got a somewhat similar sense of humor and a really great story.

Please play Trails of Cold Steel. Its setup is a bit like Persona 4 (you can hangout with your party members to boost your bond with them, the game is split between the school and dungeons) but it's got a really interesting world and pretty well-developed politics, and every character is really likable and charming. Also, amazing music. Combat isn't a ton like Persona 4 though, when you hit an enemy weakness you don't get a full extra turn, you can just do a follow-up attack with a party member, and there's a big emphasis on turn order and delaying enemy turns/boosting your own speed and such. It's a good combat system, though.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

Do not get this on Vita until you watch some recent video of the Vita version, it had massive performance issues and probably still does

Apparently the last patch helped a bit but not that much. It can still slow down to a crawl in some zones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Hearts R isn't much like Ys, it's more of a traditional JRPG but with real-time combat. It's pretty decent though.

yeah, YSMoC and YS7 are god tier action rpgs
Hearsts R is one of the better tales games i've played but they aren't my favorite and i've basically sworn off gettting them anymore. the combat system is like a weird hybrid thing that doesn't give you full control but still tries to be actiony and to me it plays real sloppy and most of the games you just cruise through until the final bosses that provide the first real challenge at all in the whole game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uh, you have full control. And you don't cruise through if you turn the difficulty up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

Uh, you have full control. And you don't cruise through if you turn the difficulty up.

uh you don't have dodge rolls and jumps and poo poo that you have in ys to style on enemies and the controls default to no free run. also get good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no seriously i dont know what you mean by the full control thing, did you keep the game on semi-auto or what

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

no seriously i dont know what you mean by the full control thing, did you keep the game on semi-auto or what

sorry i edited above. also sorry for adversarial tone i'm just fooling around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends on the tales game, graces places a lot of emphasis on quicksteps to dodge attacks but yeah, you aren't really devil may crying or anything, that's fair.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a taste thing i'm sure. i also didn't like ff13 series' combat which a lot of people really like. i wanted lightning to hop around like mario 64 or something i guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

its a taste thing i'm sure. i also didn't like ff13 series' combat which a lot of people really like. i wanted lightning to hop around like mario 64 or something i guess.
maybe you just really like jumping

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

skit herre posted:

Are any of the Neptunia games (13-20€) or MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (15€) worth playing for mechanics and/or story?

That's quite a lot of stuff and I am sorry for my bad English, as it is not my first language, but maybe someone has a very strong opinion on some of the games. Any must-buys?

Neptunia Rebirth 1 is probably the best introduction to the game series. It's a stand alone game that sort of happens after Rebirth 3/Neptunia Victory (the PS3 version.) If you like that, Rebirth 2,3, and Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls is more of the same. Megatagmention and Neptunia U are Senran Kagura lite, with Megatagmention adding a multiplayer mode. Producing Perfection is a life management game and Hyperdimension Noire is a SRPG that's not very fun.

As far as story goes, Rebirth 2&3 (and VII on PS4) are the only games that count, everything else is alternate dimensions with plenty of fourth wall breaks.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Sefal posted:

I still think the Vita is the best handheld console that has been made thus far.

I'm going to China for a year and am taking my Vita (and a 3DS) as main video gaming 'cause apparently buying consumer electronics is a pain in the bum over there, and I'm surprised that the library isn't that bad. From all the talk I assumed it was gonna be Persona 4 and then a wasteland.

Endorph posted:

Please play Trails of Cold Steel. Its setup is a bit like Persona 4 (you can hangout with your party members to boost your bond with them, the game is split between the school and dungeons) but it's got a really interesting world and pretty well-developed politics, and every character is really likable and charming. Also, amazing music. Combat isn't a ton like Persona 4 though, when you hit an enemy weakness you don't get a full extra turn, you can just do a follow-up attack with a party member, and there's a big emphasis on turn order and delaying enemy turns/boosting your own speed and such. It's a good combat system, though.

Does the sequel keep the bonding-with-team-mates Fight School conceit?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

The only big difference is that CS2 mostly takes place away from the school.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Vita owns

Persona 4 owns

Also Killzone, Wipeout and Gravity Rush are good too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

you don't go to school anymore, but you still have a home base and the ability to bond with teammates and such

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Okay so far I have cut it down to Tales of Hearts R, Legend of Heroes ToC 1, Neptunia Rebirth 1 and Muramasa Rebirth. Gonna have to think about that some more.

Is Steins;Gate a depressing game?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its not really a game, and kind of at "times" lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some really messed up things happen, but there's a good ending

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

skit herre posted:

Is Steins;Gate a depressing game?

I don't think depressing is a word I'd use, but it can get pretty grim at points. It is however a really good VN with satisfying endings to each of its routes.

Also despite doing certain things I usually hate in RPGs, Cold Steel probably the most I've enjoyed a JRPG in forever and the sequel is more of the same so getting that is a good decision, imo.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Thanks for the tips, think I'll pick up Cold Steel 2 as well before leaving.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Get lots of puzzle games and Miku. And the "What Dod I Do to Deserve This, My Lord" psp games.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Does Tales of Hearts R use the same system as Graces, or is close to the hybrid system of Xillia?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Does Tales of Hearts R use the same system as Graces, or is close to the hybrid system of Xillia?
It has TP and no CC, and is probably closer to Abyss or Vesperia in terms of how you move than anything. Its big gimmick is that you can parry enemy attacks with good timing to keep combos going. It's also a lot faster than Abyss or Vesperia.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Does Cold Steel have legible text? Some games, esp with console versions have tiny tiny text. It's ok but ToCS i'm assuming is like reading a novel. I don't want to squint and hold the vita 2 inches in front of my eyes reading text for 100 hours or whatever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Does Cold Steel have legible text? Some games, esp with console versions have tiny tiny text. It's ok but ToCS i'm assuming is like reading a novel. I don't want to squint and hold the vita 2 inches in front of my eyes reading text for 100 hours or whatever

CS's text size is just fine. It shouldn't be a trouble for you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played the Vita version myself but the Odin Sphere remake is a hell of a game. If the Vita version doesn't have any UI or performance issues it's an excellent addition to a new library as well.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wandle Cax posted:

From what I've seen the dialogue is readable, it's just things like numbers on HP bars and such that might be tiny

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Names on notes are really small and hard to read but the rest is fine really.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never had trouble reading anything in tocs

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
So I bought Tales of Hearts, Legend of Heroes and Muramasa Rebirth and I am quite confident that I got some good stuff with a lot of content for a reasonable price. The Neptunia games just are priced a little bit too high for me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

skit herre posted:

The Neptunia games just are priced a little bit too high for me.

This will change.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

skit herre posted:

So I bought Tales of Hearts, Legend of Heroes and Muramasa Rebirth and I am quite confident that I got some good stuff with a lot of content for a reasonable price.

Yeah, you've got a good 120+ hours of game there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

This will change.