Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Real talk tho.

You see a lot of gamers go "You should buy a PS4 to play Uncharted", "You should buy a XBone to play Halo"

Switch is going to have Zelda Breath of the Wild are launch. Everything I've personally seen has it shaping up to be one of the most incredible Zelda experiences ever released.
Seriously man buy a Switch for Zelda, everything else is just the cherry on top for the first few months (Bomberman :swoon:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
they aren't going to have a Zelda theme park though at this E3

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'll play Zelda on Wii-U, will get the Switch sometime for Mario Odyssey though at least. And there'll surely be a deal with some pack-in or whatever in a year. I'm optimistic about the Switch myself, I'll just wait for some more games to be out.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Real talk tho.

You see a lot of gamers go "You should buy a PS4 to play Uncharted", "You should buy a XBone to play Halo"

Switch is going to have Zelda Breath of the Wild are launch. Everything I've personally seen has it shaping up to be one of the most incredible Zelda experiences ever released.
Seriously man buy a Switch for Zelda, everything else is just the cherry on top for the first few months (Bomberman :swoon:)

the only game that's worth buying a console for is Bloodborne

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

alf_pogs posted:

the only game that's worth buying a console for is Bloodborne

This paired with the Alf avatar, it confuses me. Was time travel involved, or you don't dig older exclusive games, and/or I'm not supposed to take this seriously

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I traded in my WiiU+13 games for $320 AUD

1st party Nintendo games hold their value.
3rd parties not so much.

Pretty tempted to do this as well. If Mario Maker, Pokken and Smash Bros were announced for Switch I'd definitely do it, but I've also regretted not keeping every single console I've had so I'm torn.

Also I've not yet bought bayonetta 1+2 or Donkey Kong TF which I keep hearing are really good? And I just recently got a 3DS XL which I have no games for and don't even know where to begin. Could probably stand to wait a bit before getting a brand new console.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Infinitum posted:

Real talk tho.

Zelda will sell a lot of systems but having good 3rd party support would sell more. The age of system sellers is ending/has ended for everyone else, but of course that's all Nintendo can bank on.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I bought a 360 just for Mass Effect. Of course I ended up playing a ton of other stuff but honestly Mass Effect was the only reason I bought the thing in the first place.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Infinitum posted:

I'm curious if Iwata would have kept the price down / bundled controllers + charging grips together / included a pack in game.

Good ol Iwata. Gonna miss ya buddy :rip:

But he's the one who put the company on this dark path. Yamauchi was very big into directly competing with the other console manufacturers in specs, features, and software lineups. Only reason GameCube didn't do well was because of proprietary discs and the console being purple with a handle on it that no self respecting man would ever purchase.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Super No Vacancy posted:

be serious lmao

What's so funny? Splatoon is the freshest and most innovative multiplayer shooter since Team Fortress 2.

Jimmy Hats posted:

See also Metroid Prime 2 > 1

I will never understand why people like Metroid Prime 2. The game was terrible.

Infinitum posted:

Think my mate bought the 2nd one when we were living together, so I only remember playing a little bit of it.

I seem to recall the shadow/light energy drain mechanic being dumb as gently caress to deal with.

Prime 1 was genre redefining.
Prime 3 was just rock solid.

Prime 3 was great but it was a perfect example of why not every game should have voice acting. The voice acting just didn't feel right to the game's atmosphere.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 16, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

This paired with the Alf avatar, it confuses me. Was time travel involved, or you don't dig older exclusive games, and/or I'm not supposed to take this seriously

i didn't mean it super seriously

(except that bloodborne is super super good and worth buyin a ps4 for)

as someone who sunk approximately 1 trillion hours into the 'pictionary' game in game & wario on wii u, i am confident that 1-2 switch will fill a primary role in future drunken party times

edit: also i love mr hamburger

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Def ignore the 'kiddy' aesthetic of Splatoon.

It's probably one of the finest team arena shooters released in a long rear end time.
If you like poo poo like CSGO, TF2, Q3, Overwatch, etc you will def love Splatoon 2 when it releases.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
A friend of mine got to try the demos and was really impressed by the HD rumble - which does pretty much exactly what it bragged it does. The games it's made with in mind provide a very good tactile feel as if you're holding objects of different weight distribution or material.

Splatoon was more of the same - but looked prettier and had a useful new dodge mechanic that makes the skirmish fights feel almost a bit Dark Souls pvp-ish.

To show off the power of the 8-way local multiplayer, the splatoon demo was actually running off exactly that.

Mario kart 8 demo was more of the same but prettier and with a battle mode that doesn't suck.

The game that impressed him most by far was Arms because it worked so well and was a big blast. He feels shameful that he's going to likely buy a second pair of joycons immediately because he wants to splitscreen with friends.

Oh and he says that SF2 was a broken mess. Didn't specify why though.

Infinitum posted:

It's probably one of the finest team arena shooters released in a long rear end time.
If you like poo poo like CSGO, TF2, Q3, Overwatch, etc you will def love Splatoon 2 when it releases.

It is definitely a legit fantastic shooter and was the 'overwatch' before overwatch launched. In terms of the kinds of tactics and teamplay you have to use in it. (except unlike overwatch you can actually skirmish, duel, and solo well in 1v1 encounters)

Get into it and you'll quickly grow to like the toony aesthetic because everything works on behalf of engaging you with the game.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 16, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

It is literally the video game I have spent the most hours on. I love Splatoon, from top to bottom it is perhaps the best example of Nintendo design philosophy.

And Inklings are ruthless little monsters. I love them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Traditionally, how long does it take before Nintendo releases the revision of their systems?

Infinitum posted:

Splatoon is the best competitive shooter released since CSGO. The maps are designed very well and the weapons are all reasonably balanced (at least last time I left them). Also gyro aiming is actually really good as it is nearly as good as a mouse and just shits on dual analog.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

greatn posted:

Super Bomberman R is made by the original Bomberman team, Nintendo lobbied Konami to hire them back.

Can I get a source on the bolded bit for a friend?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Spacedad posted:

Splatoon was more of the same - but looked prettier and had a useful new dodge mechanic that makes the skirmish fights feel almost a bit Dark Souls pvp-ish.

the dodge is actually unique to the new dual smg-likes, they rule

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Traditionally, how long does it take before Nintendo releases the revision of their systems?

GB - 1989
GB pocket -1996
GB color -1998

GBA - 2001
GBA SP - 2003
GB micro - 2005

DS - 2004
DS lite -2006
DSi - 2009
DSixl - 2010

3ds - 2011
3ds xl - 2012
n3ds- 2015

Switch - 2017

average time between major revisions is 2.75 years with the caveat that original gameboy skews it to be a bit longer. probably like 2.5ish years is a good working number

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 16, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Splatoon also had a pretty decent single player campaign, and I hope it gets expanded upon for Splat2n

Music was killer as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4k1NdUEUP4

Not sure if the Switch will get a revision, because it's from their console line.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

The second prime is such a loving slog and makes exploring actively harmful to you as well as having just a poo poo ton of unnecessary backtracking for its own sake, and having to pick up ammo.

Seriously, the Dark world is a bunch of chunks that aren't even connected to each other for the most part so you have to constantly go back to the Light World and find another portal back to the Dark World to try and get where the gently caress you want to go. It's a miserable and confusing clusterfuck, it also makes the game super linear and when it does open up you tend to get confused as to where to go to even advance the game. Prime 2 sucks balls.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Can I get a source on the bolded bit for a friend?

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/13/super-bomberman-r-is-being-made-by-former-bomberman-staff/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

alf_pogs posted:

edit: also i love mr hamburger

Hell yeah! Thaaaaaat's my life

punk rebel ecks posted:

Splatoon is the best competitive shooter released since CSGO. The maps are designed very well and the weapons are all reasonably balanced (at least last time I left them). Also gyro aiming is actually really good as it is nearly as good as a mouse and just shits on dual analog.

Overwatch for me, I've played many many hours.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*releases goldeneye paintball mode as a standalone title*
nintendo marks: REVOLUTIONARY!!!!!!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I actually watched the Breath of the Wild trailer and now I'm thinking it might be the first Zelda game I've ever been stoked about. They've never really clicked with me, but this new one looks excellent.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i want to play the new zelda and take it to my girlfriends apartment

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I'm curious how well Splatoon is going to take off two years later, because I kind of feel like Overwatch grabbed the "Shooter for people who normally don't like shooters" thing and ran with it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I'm curious how well Splatoon is going to take off two years later, because I kind of feel like Overwatch grabbed the "Shooter for people who normally don't like shooters" thing and ran with it.

First one was held back by the Wii U's small install base, I'd imagine. If the Switch takes off then I'll bet it'll become a lot more popular.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
1-2 Switch looks like a fun game I can play with my nephews but I don't know if I can honestly feel comfortable spending 60 dollars on it. I mean, it really looks like a tech-demo more than anything else. Probably along the tier of Wii Sports. How much was that game?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

i don't think there's as much overlap between those two games as you think

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will never understand why people like Metroid Prime 2. The game was terrible.
It's bad for a Prime game. But let's be honest: I'd take 10 more Metroid Prime 2s before I took another Other M.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

BambooEarpick posted:

1-2 Switch looks like a fun game I can play with my nephews but I don't know if I can honestly feel comfortable spending 60 dollars on it. I mean, it really looks like a tech-demo more than anything else. Probably along the tier of Wii Sports. How much was that game?

Wii Sports came with the system, at least when I bought mine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zyste posted:

It's bad for a Prime game. But let's be honest: I'd take 10 more Metroid Prime 2s before I took another Other M.

It's just a bad game, I'd rather not play either title.

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Tender Bender posted:

OverWatch is TF2 lite.

That's not to say I don't enjoy and spend way too much time playing OverWatch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

prime 2 and prime 3 are both good games that i don't like because they don't measure up to prime one but i'm not gonna begrudge nobody for liking them like a dildo

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Overwatch is dead to me until they properly support 21:9.

Bring on splatoon, a shooter which also doesn't support 21:9, but it's portable dammit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

Nintendoland eventually hit the $10 bargain bin mark, which I think 1 2 Switch will do as well

It 100% should have been a pack-in game, or at least made into a 3rd Switch bundle that you could grab at a discounted price.

You look at a truly incredible party game like the Jackbox Party Pack 1-3, and that's only asking $20 on Steam. The asking point for 1 2 Switch is loving :laffo:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Nintendoland eventually hit the $10 bargain bin mark, which I think 1 2 Switch will do as well

It 100% should have been a pack-in game, or at least made into a 3rd Switch bundle that you could grab at a discounted price.

You look at a truly incredible party game like the Jackbox Party Pack 1-3, and that's only asking $20 on Steam. The asking point for 1 2 Switch is loving :laffo:

the spring release with limited quantities is very clearly for us early adopters that will blow cash for a game. there will be 300 dollar bundles by fall with games available in large quantities for the general buyer i'd hope.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm glad the thread's drama cleared up.

As terrible as Thursday's presentation was, I excitedly pre-ordered a blue/red console and Zelda from Gamestop on Friday morning.

I'm really looking forward to it, as I have every other Nintendo console.

EDIT: Also, I'm super thrilled that they confirmed no more Friend Codes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zyste posted:

The only good thing Other M ever did was the 30 seconds of music at the end of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PSPFE07Hw&t=40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

*releases goldeneye paintball mode as a standalone title*
nintendo marks: REVOLUTIONARY!!!!!!

This is quite possibly the dumbest post I've read in this thread and that's saying something

• Locked thread