Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MurderBot posted:

Just when Oregon's massive onslaught of winter weather had me to the point of hating this loving state, she pulls this on me.

where in skyrim are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I live in Redmond, Oregon. This is Smith Rock State Park... About 5 minutes from my door.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

TBeats posted:

Anyone drive a Ford Focus? I found a 2009 SES with 100k miles on it that's in great condition that I might jump on.

Had a 2014 SE that I drove around for a while, recently got rid of it. Was never too crazy about it but was a decent little commuter. I'd say it's good car if your main concern is fuel economy but you can't/won't invest in a hybrid.

The version I drove was prone to transmission issues, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about that in an 09.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

We went over n4i's last week. They eat their own auto trannies. So either hope it has a new trans, or a stick with a decent clutch.

I'll look into it. I'm in the fortunate position where I don't really NEED a car. And weekend rates on rentals are dirt cheap so it's not like I can't get one if I need one, so I'm considering holding off and saving more money throughout his semester and buying something really nice when I get my grant check in the fall. Right now my budget is between $4-5k. If I wait until the fall I can potentially have $10k to spend.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

MurderBot posted:

Just when Oregon's massive onslaught of winter weather had me to the point of hating this loving state, she pulls this on me.

drat, that's gorgeous.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I don't know how dad this is but gently caress it, this paper just came to my attention

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2420600
Abstract:
We show that some customers systematically purchase new products that flop. Their early adoption of a new product is a strong signal that a product will fail - the more they buy, the less likely the product will succeed. These customers, whom we call ‘Harbingers’ [of failure], prefer products that other customers do not want. More broadly, we document that distinguishing among the types of customers who adopt a new product can be predictive of whether a new product will succeed or fail. We discuss how these insights can be readily incorporated into the new product development process. Our findings challenge the conventional wisdom that positive customer feedback is always a signal of future success. The possibility that firms are encouraged by Harbingers’ purchases during pilot market tests may help to explain the high failure rate for new products.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

TBeats posted:

Anyone drive a Ford Focus? I found a 2009 SES with 100k miles on it that's in great condition that I might jump on.

I had an 05 hatch that I drove like a rally car through the logging trails and gravel roads of North Carolina and across the country and all through the Mojave desert. I probably put 150k on the engine and the only weird thing that happened was me needing to replace the alternator. Luckily I found a guide on YouTube and ordered the part myself. Took me 30 minutes and cost like 65 dollars for the part.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

MurderBot posted:

The snowpocalypse has made for some truly heroic conditions up on Bachelor though.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

ReverendCode posted:

The snowpocalypse has made for some truly heroic conditions up on Bachelor though.

True... But I have no desire to ski, i'd rather bike or run on the snow.

Also 100 bucks for a day pass to ski on bachelor? I was enlisted bruh I don't have that kinda cash to throw around, I gotta spend it on hookers and my camaro loan.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MurderBot posted:

True... But I have no desire to ski, i'd rather bike or run on the snow.

Also 100 bucks for a day pass to ski on bachelor? I was enlisted bruh I don't have that kinda cash to throw around, I gotta spend it on hookers and my camaro loan.

Gotta get them season passes in the summer and get some used gear brah. Learning how to snowboard in my late 20s and early 30s has been tiiight

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well I bought a Fitbit Charge 2. I've taken a few months off from the gym and I'd like to drop about ten pounds so hey treat yourself.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You'll forget it on your dresser one day and never wear it again.

Just use a smartphone app for your pedometer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm pretty good about using stuff like that. Also the battery life is 5 days so I'll pretty much wear the thing as a watch.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not trying to thread poo poo but aside from maybe heart rate monitoring I'll never understand this new obsession with tracking your steps traveled and poo poo via fitbitswhatevers. Woo boy I walked three miles at work today

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Return it and get an Apple Watch.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not trying to thread poo poo but aside from maybe heart rate monitoring I'll never understand this new obsession with tracking your steps traveled and poo poo via fitbitswhatevers. Woo boy I walked three miles at work today

It has its purpose, there's a lot of studies that show walking 10,000 steps a day essentially the equivalent of 5 miles walked, enough commuting exercise to help with keeping individuals healthy and shows to reduce many health disparities associated with sedentary activity. I think the current studies show that the average person walks between 3,000-5,000 steps a day which is of course... Half what is recommended by many individuals in the public health world.

Accountability and just keeping track of your daily fitness is a good way to help with continuing your fitness goals or striving towards reaching them, since counting your steps per day in your head sounds horrible. But like everything, it's just a tool to help the user, if the user doesn't give a single poo poo about it and thinks it's a novelty then it's pretty pointless to have.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doesn't that thing have a battery life of like 4 hours?

And yea I obsessively track all of my workouts. I've got two small notebooks of every exercise and run going back to 2011. I find that building in some level of accountability keeps me focused.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

holocaust bloopers posted:

Doesn't that thing have a battery life of like 4 hours?

And yea I obsessively track all of my workouts. I've got two small notebooks of every exercise and run going back to 2011. I find that building in some level of accountability keeps me focused.

nah, lasts all day

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's annoying. Try as I might, as much as I love gadgets, the Apple Watch doesn't do a thing for me. Seems completely redundant to me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

That's annoying. Try as I might, as much as I love gadgets, the Apple Watch doesn't do a thing for me. Seems completely redundant to me.

Do you cycle for hours on end? If not, then it probably is redundant...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can understand liking something for the tech angle, but if you carry your phone everywhere, a wrist based pedometer is the definition of redundant.

Only reason I ever bought a pedometer, and it was one of the cheap walgreens ones, was to track my steps in the warehouse I worked in that didn't allow us to carry our phones. Beyond places that restrict phones, there's almost no reason to own one than to own one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MurderBot posted:

It has its purpose, there's a lot of studies that show walking 10,000 steps a day essentially the equivalent of 5 miles walked, enough commuting exercise to help with keeping individuals healthy and shows to reduce many health disparities associated with sedentary activity.

I think what I'm getting at is for most people it's like "huh, so I walked that far today, well off to the couch." like it doesn't actually have an impact or change anything

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I can understand liking something for the tech angle, but if you carry your phone everywhere, a wrist based pedometer is the definition of redundant.

Only reason I ever bought a pedometer, and it was one of the cheap walgreens ones, was to track my steps in the warehouse I worked in that didn't allow us to carry our phones. Beyond places that restrict phones, there's almost no reason to own one than to own one.

Not when I run or weight lift I do. Phone sits off to the side.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think what I'm getting at is for most people it's like "huh, so I walked that far today, well off to the couch." like it doesn't actually have an impact or change anything

True that. A majority of your fitbit owners really don't use it as a means to actually "push" themselves to reach a goal that can be quantified throughout the day/week/whatever.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like my regular wrist watches too much to ever get a fitbit or Apple watch.
I've used some combination of the SS app, MFP, and Fitocracy for keepign track of exercise stuff and they are all fine.

I've got nothing against those things, I just like having this dumb thing on my wrist instead.

https://www.tradesy.com/accessories/tissot-prc-200-chronograph-blue-dial-stainless-steel-men-s-watch-11928235/

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MurderBot posted:

True that. A majority of your fitbit owners really don't use it as a means to actually "push" themselves to reach a goal that can be quantified throughout the day/week/whatever.

Everyone I've met who owns one says they love it. Most of them haven't seemed particularly active, or even attentive to what they eat/ their activity levels. Nor could they really articulate what it provides to them beyond generally being a sweet gadget, but I guess that's enough for alot of people.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Bad thing about a private school: classes are in session on most holidays.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had a sewer scope done on a house I put an offer on as part of the inspection and it revealed a 1" horizontal offset at one of the pipe joints in the main sewer line and a couple areas of root growth. Since it was just a private inspection the guy wouldn't give me a quote to fix it or even a good estimate of the severity, but so far what I'm getting back from actual plumbers is that they want to run their own scope before giving me any kind of consultation. How the hell do I deal with this when the deadline for inspection negotiations is 2 days from now? Lean on the seller to figure it out and hope they don't say no?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does the house have a cement foundation? If they have to bust that up to fix/move pipes you're looking at a few grand just for dealing with the foundation not even counting the actual repairs needed or the costs of trenching up the yard.

Remember one of the most iconic :grovertoot: images involved a sewer repair.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does the house have a cement foundation? If they have to bust that up to fix/move pipes you're looking at a few grand just for dealing with the foundation not even counting the actual repairs needed or the costs of trenching up the yard.

Remember one of the most iconic :grovertoot: images involved a sewer repair.

It'd either be out in the yard or (worst case) under the street in front, since the offset is located at 107 ft along the run. I have no clue if this is a serious potential problem or if the inspector is just being cautious. Here's what he said: "Offset noted in main sewer line at a joint in the pipe at 107 feet. The offset appears to be over 1 inch. This can allow solids or debris to collect in the pipe causing blockage. This can also allow water to seep into the soil causing further settlement."

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
my 10 year old sharp tv finally died. is insignia(best buy house brand) any good or should i just stick with a name brand?

i want a ~50' tv for ~$300 before tax. i dont need a smart tv or top end resolution.

something like these. i'd get another sharp in a heartbeat but nothing they have matches what i want.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

my 10 year old sharp tv finally died. is insignia(best buy house brand) any good or should i just stick with a name brand?

i want a ~50' tv for ~$300 before tax. i dont need a smart tv or top end resolution.

I've had Samsung TVs for years now. They've all been excellent. Unfortunately, practically every HDTV is "smart" but that poo poo can be disabled.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Arrival is so goddamn excellent.

vains
May 26, 2004

I've had Samsung TVs for years now. They've all been excellent. Unfortunately, practically every HDTV is "smart" but that poo poo can be disabled.

i just dont want to pay extra for something i dont need. an xbox does all the stuff that a smart tv does.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

i just dont want to pay extra for something i dont need. an xbox does all the stuff that a smart tv does.

I hear you but it's nearly unavoidable. Having smart features is standard; not an increase in price as other options would be. Maybe look at Vizios?!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smart features are standard now, not extra.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buca di Bepis posted:

It'd either be out in the yard or (worst case) under the street in front, since the offset is located at 107 ft along the run. I have no clue if this is a serious potential problem or if the inspector is just being cautious. Here's what he said: "Offset noted in main sewer line at a joint in the pipe at 107 feet. The offset appears to be over 1 inch. This can allow solids or debris to collect in the pipe causing blockage. This can also allow water to seep into the soil causing further settlement."

I mean if it's that far out then it may be just as simple as digging up that spot and repairing it. I was talking mainly if it was something that needed foundation work or if the whole line would have to be dug up. If it's just one spot way out, it might be a quick fix.

I'd say it would be worth your while to get an expert out to look at that specifically first so you have an actual dollar amount you can go forward with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I got 3 40" westinghouses from best buy a few years ago for $300/ea that have no smart features and are still trucking great minus lovely speakers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Visio makes a nice 70 dollar soundbar that is a significant upgrade over tv speakers. I have one for my bedroom tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Smart features are standard now, not extra.

idk man. in just some casual research, it seems like equivalent tvs(same brand, dimensions and display) cost more with smart features. maybe i'm looking at last years models compared to this years and that's where the price difference is coming from. is there any reason to get a smart tv if you have an xbox/ps4?

in either case, is insignia or westinghouse crap that's going to break in 6 months?

• Locked thread