Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Dollar pull nets a Golden Hairpin. Very nice. So it would appear the new raid is easier than Bart, that's kinda nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The Beatrix + Steiner Power Couple Extravaganza is pretty :gibs: once Beatrix decides you all have to die right now and saps everyone then sets their HP to 1

Pack memento of prayer and RW Raines for an easier time

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

FeralWraith posted:

Dollar pull nets a Golden Hairpin. Very nice. So it would appear the new raid is easier than Bart, that's kinda nice.

I think from what I've read Bart is the hardest MP for a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Beasteh posted:

The Beatrix + Steiner Power Couple Extravaganza is pretty :gibs: once Beatrix decides you all have to die right now and saps everyone then sets their HP to 1

Pack memento of prayer and RW Raines for an easier time

Steiner is the one who Saps, so if you burst him down quickly then you should be able to heal up after Beatrix Climhazzards.

Worth nothing that Beatrix takes normal cast time to use her HP = 1 move rather than using it instantly at her phase shifts. So if you're bursting with Raines you can plow right to her very weak phase before she gets off her first Climhazzard.

I knew I'd be glad to have pulled Kuja's SSB someday.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Beatrix Saps, too, at 60%. She goes HP=1 at 80%, AOE damage and Sap at 60%, and HP=1 again at 40%. And she'll store those up if you blow past her HP thresholds.

That said, two people spamming her with 9999x4 instant cast damage from Raines BSB will kill her before she can get off the Seiken Stock Break.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Solo'd the multiplayer again! Nice when I can do that. No problem with any of the content this event really. Also Alphinaud and his BSB saw its first use. Man that thing crushed those wind-weak Waltzes.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 16, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This 3 boss ult is bullshit. Nothing seems to mitigate the damage on the first guy's counters or the last guy's AoE spam. What am I supposed to do? :mad:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I brought Arc along to Steiner/Beatrix for his instant heal + blink, and took Steiner out first. That gave me plenty of time to deal with this or that.

I also learned tonight nobody wants to be in a MP party with a guy running Cait Sith in a FFIX dungeon. Moogle Dance debuffs and gives regen, and since I had Celes in my front slot it's not like I had to be picky about my second. Try to keep some joy in your souls, pubbies. I eventually ended up in a party with three Alphinauds that took out the back two Waltzes in about three turns.

edit: I brought along Asylum as a RW for the first two parts and just built up meter so I could go all out on the third guy. It took me a couple tries because I didn't want to retreat and set things up optimally, but once it worked, it was a breeze.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 16, 2017

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Holy poo poo, first party for Apoc 3 Mages and we hosed them hard :stare:

I was running Tyro (multibreak dance, wrath, SH) and Alphinaud, mages ate poo poo shortly after the 2nd SG was cast.

Zidane did his AoE wind imperial, Garnet was spamming Tiamat and Bahamut, Ramza shouted, Celes was throwing out that gently caress-off AoE wind spellblade skill+snowspell strike with Runic up, Lenna was on the ball with getting all the mages slowed, just holy gently caress what a good party. I was the weak link because I used Deployment Tactics first thinking I had plenty of time to build up another gauge for Aerial Blast, which I did not.

After Bart I'm kind of in shock, bless you magical pubbies I can now dive Alphinaud for black 5*

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

MikeSevigny posted:

I brought Arc along to Steiner/Beatrix for his instant heal + blink, and took Steiner out first. That gave me plenty of time to deal with this or that.

I also learned tonight nobody wants to be in a MP party with a guy running Cait Sith in a FFIX dungeon. Moogle Dance debuffs and gives regen, and since I had Celes in my front slot it's not like I had to be picky about my second. Try to keep some joy in your souls, pubbies. I eventually ended up in a party with three Alphinauds that took out the back two Waltzes in about three turns.

edit: I brought along Asylum as a RW for the first two parts and just built up meter so I could go all out on the third guy. It took me a couple tries because I didn't want to retreat and set things up optimally, but once it worked, it was a breeze.

It's amazing how much easier Steiner/Beatrix is with current power creep levels versus how difficult Beatrix alone was back in the day. The split health pools helps, but it's so drat nice to have so many more toys to play with now. Also a Raines BSB RW just shits damage on the pair.

Ultimate++ Zidane down as well. After getting mitigation set, he just seemed more annoying than dangerous. It might have been due to all the wind resistance I had on, but his AoE spamming at the end didn't do poo poo and Krile polished him off with more Raines BSB RW spam. I will say this though: go the magic route, and bring haste. His entire offense is to debuff your attack and defense, and slow you and haste/buff himself. You won't be able to keep his buffs off permanently, so usual mitigation and Banishing Strike on a tank work wonders, and a honed Haste spell will help alleviate all of the Slows he throws out.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This 3 boss ult is bullshit. Nothing seems to mitigate the damage on the first guy's counters or the last guy's AoE spam. What am I supposed to do? :mad:

I'm not quite sure what's up with the first boss's attacks. In flight, his Horn was doing about 1,000 damage after mitigation, but then I had some random Counter Horn come in and do 3k damage, and I know my mitigation was up. I'd presume his counters just hurt like hell. The second guy is an utter sonuva bitch, with his AoE wind attack. Full mitigation and it was hitting for about 2.5-3k. Not sure if it is piercing or not. The last guy isn't bad, aside from his 100% paralyzing counters after he drops below 50% health. Personally, I'd say bring wind resistance for rear end in a top hat number 2 and build up soul break meter for number 3, then start dropping poo poo all over him so he can't counter.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I should not be having this trouble with the Steiner/Beatrix CM and yet... here I am. :(

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

How?

Why?

Why me!?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Bring a Zidane OSB RW to more or less obliterate the first two bosses (if you can have at least four females on your party, good but not necessarily required). You can then set your party up to handle Shell Dragon - both Breakdowns, Earth/Paralyze resist if possible, and a good set of Ice attacks.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I should not be having this trouble with the Steiner/Beatrix CM and yet... here I am. :(

Raines BSB RW will melt them - have three party members for mitgation/healing and Kuja + Vivi/Garnet on DPS duty. As long as you can survive the post-Climhazzard attacks and don't get one-shot by Beatrix's Holy, you should be fine. Take out Steiner first, you don't want to AoE them if possible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Only just scraped through the 3 boss rush.

Wiped once to the final boss when he paralysed my entire party and then ate them when my mitigation wore off. Once to the second boss when he did his huge aoe while my mitigation was being recast, and once to the first when he bio'd my healer and then counter bio'd my healer instagibbing her.

Eventually won on my 4th try, got to the Shell dragon with everything ready to go, but accidentally fatfingered deployment tactics on Alphanaud, which maybe ended up being a godsend, since lovely mcdragon was doing 5k damage to himself with every counter while Edgar who resisted all the paralysis dropped 3 25k osbs on it while double buffed with Deployment Tactics and Shout.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Raines BSB RW will melt them - have three party members for mitgation/healing and Kuja + Vivi/Garnet on DPS duty. As long as you can survive the post-Climhazzard attacks and don't get one-shot by Beatrix's Holy, you should be fine. Take out Steiner first, you don't want to AoE them if possible.

Yeah, I had been running Wall RW and Quina with :frogout: and breakdowns, Beatrix with her magic blink SSB carrying protectga and Lifesiphon, Steiner with his tin armor imperil fire and twin fire spellblade and saints cross, Kuja with MM/DZ and Eiko with Curada/BSB and getting my rear end kicked by the post-climhazzard hits (or by having sap on me and getting climhazzarded).

Dropped Quina for Garnet with DG, R2 Ultima Weapon and Curaja, tossed Power Break on Beatrix in place of Lifesiphon for the medal condition and had Kuja summon a Raines BSB and they went down like nothing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I was having issues too until I just RWed a Vanille BSB and popped it after the first Climhazard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh hmm wow this boss sure is throwing out tons of dangerous magic.

*clicks Runic* oh there we go.

Ran the D200 with some other goons and since we had a Runic user there were many turns of both my and the other Y'shtola using wrath until we had full SB gauges because the damage was next to nothing. I've never seen Stoneskin last for so long on a party, I used Asylum on turn 2 for the hell of it and everyone still had stoneskin when burst mode ended. :psyduck:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Zidane was the most frustrated I've been at RK in a while. Between him constantly hasting himself, slowing you, and stunning/confusing characters with his ST attacks, it's a huge pain to even get actions off. I needed a lot of lucky stun procs and Greg getting tauntaliate online early in the fight to scrape it out against him. Ramza and Tyro ate it but thankfully the latter refreshed SG right before dying. Vanille BSB continues to be amazing.

If I did it over I'd definitely have given Tyro Haste in one of his slots and maybe even Banishing Strike on the other because if the wrong person gets slowed or confused it can really gently caress up your whole run. Probably a lot easier if you run a mage team but I don't really have the BSBs or hones to do that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What is this Anniversary Event people keep mentioning? What is it going to contain?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bring a Zidane OSB RW to more or less obliterate the first two bosses (if you can have at least four females on your party, good but not necessarily required). You can then set your party up to handle Shell Dragon - both Breakdowns, Earth/Paralyze resist if possible, and a good set of Ice attacks.

This worked great except for the last guy. Zidane OSB OHKO'd the first two but the counter AoE paralysis is loving bullshit. I even did a reverse wall on him with Faris BSB plus Fang's Highwind and it doesn't matter at all if he just paralyzes everyone and I have no paralysis resist accessories.

:supaburn:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I wish you could pull off a full-dragoon gimmick team on serious fights, it's a drat funny spectacle. Boing boing, boing boing boing, smash smash, oh poo poo he died, better get back down for a victory dance. I want a mainline game where you can do that too.

Kind of wrecks the mood of somber fights like the you're not alone bit and such. Although I like that bit too.

Also what the gently caress why doesn't Mog have Record Dive so he can be the Dragoon he's supposed to be.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Thanks for whoever suggested Cid Raines BSB RW for the Steiner Beatrix fight. It took a few tries to avoid death, but I managed to secure the win.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Zidane fight is tremendous bullshit. He keeps hasting himself, slowing my people and using that god forsaken move that stuns 3 of my party members before they can get an action off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Use Draw Fire and he'll only stun one person.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is this Anniversary Event people keep mentioning? What is it going to contain?

It's the next quarterly festival that also coincides on the second year anniversary of the game's global release, sometime towards the end of March. IIRC it's something like: the usual set of 5 big draws (featuring OSBs and USBs), plus three half-price, one-time lucky draws, a special select banner (aka Ultros select banner with equipment the JP folks voted on) with a free 11-pull (and 50 mythril each afterwards), and some more stuff. Also 50 free mythril from a dungeon.

Ultros select in JP was:

Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Tidus OSB
OK, Paladin Cecil, Y'Shtola, Aerith BSB
Ramza's Shout, Celes' Indomitable Blade, Krile's Sheep Song SSBs

If it's the same then it's a pretty great banner if you don't have many of those. If they let us vote on BSBs as well and we throw on Cid Raines or Alphinaud or whatever instead of Aerith and Paladin Cecil it'll be amazing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's the next quarterly festival, happening at the end of March to celebrate 2 years since the launch of the game. We don't know exactly what will be in it, since things sometimes get changed for global, but here's what Japan got:

• Orbfest
  • Half stamina cost for Realms dungeons during the course of the festival
  • Five festival banners, each with an extremely strong banner format compared to regular event banners (2-3 USB/OSB, 3-4 BSB, 4 SSB)
  • A special 'Ultros Select' banner a la the Dr. Mog's/Tyro's Select banner, picked from the relics voted on as most sought-after by fans (also including a free 11-draw for the first pull on the banner)
  • 50 mythril
  • 3 one-time lucky draws: one for Curaga-strength medicas, one for enelement Soul Breaks, and one for BSBs
  • Lots of other smaller gifts (orbs, motes, gil, etc.), either from login bonuses or in a big package on the day of the anniversary

It's a big deal. In Japan it marked the first release of Ultra Soul Breaks (we don't know what the localized name of those will be, they might change it so the acronym won't get confused with Unique Soul Breaks), in global we'll actually get Aeris' and Vanille's slightly beforehand because of the compressed event schedule. Some people are already planning on saving up for the festival banners because they'll have the best odds of getting 6* relics and/or desirable BSBs for a long time. Personally, I already have way more mythril than I anticipated having at this point in the game thanks to hitting a streak of good gacha luck on OK/XIV/OSB Fest, so I'll probably actually be spending a bunch for the month before the anniversary and still have a pretty good chunk left to use on those banners too. :v:

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 16, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I did my first CM :toot: :toot: :toot:

Since I don't have anything for Eiko and Kuja, they were level 1 and I couldn't really bring them without destroying my egg stock, so I...improvised. Beatrix was my main healer and tossing off 4k curajas while Vivi and Garnet used Raines BSB RW, Quina did support things, and Steiner tanked with gaia's cross/removed beatrix's reflect with banishing strike.

SBs: Divine Guardian and Frog Drop (used at the beginning of the fight), Seiken Shock, Sword Art Firaga, Doublecast Decay (not used)
RW: Metamorphosis

Doing that fight without a medica is...terrifying. Just terrifying.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone got tips for this Zidane fight? This is goddamn obnoxious.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
God drat, gently caress this torment dungeon. I've got Agrias with Hallowed Bolt and Gaia Cross to get through the mobs, Alphinaud with his burst and some of AoE spells for damage, Vanille and her burst for healing, Tyro for Multi Break and Wall, and Ramza for Shout. Everybody's at 80+ and I still can't get those little fuckers at the end to even below 50%. I'd put in more offense, but they're barely staying alive as is. I guess I'll have to wait for this dungeon to come back when I have an all-99 crew. I wish my FFV synergy wasn't poo poo.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Having someone like Ramza with Shout and Lifesiphon can help. Bringing someone with haste also eases the pain. Finally, having a tank eat all of his single hits will stop him from stunning everyone.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ok, one pull on the second banner... 2/11, Hamelin and Kuja's Gloves.

Eh, that's mildly disappointing. Hamelin is certainly a very good item, but I really don't need any more healer BSB's. I was hoping for the offensive items here, dang it: :argh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

If you have an -ATK/DEF debuff (like Auron's SSB) and/or a +ATK/DEF buff (like Basch/Leon/Quina's SBs), that greatly eases the fight.

Either way, having a Tauntailator will take Booster 8 and Rumble Rush out of the equation. His first three turns are always Steal, so don't bother with Haste/Dispel before then. Stellar Circle 5 and Shift Break will hurt, so stack as much debuffs as possible, especially if you're going the mage route.

Honestly there's not much to say - Zidane's squishy at least, you just gotta be able to keep up with his damage.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This worked great except for the last guy. Zidane OSB OHKO'd the first two but the counter AoE paralysis is loving bullshit. I even did a reverse wall on him with Faris BSB plus Fang's Highwind and it doesn't matter at all if he just paralyzes everyone and I have no paralysis resist accessories.

:supaburn:

If you can handle the first two bosses, Squall OSB RW will handle Shell Dragon. Pick your poison.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Steiner + Beatrix is a little easier when you realize the time Beatrix uses Stock Break is based on her HP, so take out Steiner first so you don't have two jerks wailing on you while trying to heal up from it. She uses her first when around 20-25% of her HP is gone, then once again at about 66% or thereabouts.
It's easier, but by no means easy... I couldn't deal with the CM, personally. I had Eiko's Phoenix as my Medica, and it sure was fun watching everyone revive only to get killed immediately by 7000+ attacks. :v: Really wish one of the 6* White Magics was a Raise spell that kept all the character's buffs intact...

And yeah, definitely bring Draw Fire to the Zidane battle. And hold off on putting up your wall until he starts casting his soul breaks, as his attacks, while obnoxious, are actually pretty weak until then.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man, even though MP with random pubbies is usually a complete nightmare, the times when it just clicks and everything is running like clockwork are probably my favorite thing in the game so far. Just completely mulched those waltzes without a single one of their special attacks going off. Perfect timing on heals, mitigation, bursts flying left and right, buffs stacked to hell and back, just beautiful.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Man, even though MP with random pubbies is usually a complete nightmare, the times when it just clicks and everything is running like clockwork are probably my favorite thing in the game so far. Just completely mulched those waltzes without a single one of their special attacks going off. Perfect timing on heals, mitigation, bursts flying left and right, buffs stacked to hell and back, just beautiful.

I pushed the Celes button and the Apoc was pretty easy with pubbies :v:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ya'll are making me not want to bother with the 180 this time around and I'm kind of okay with that.

Black Waltzes are pretty easy if you bring a Runic. Celes with Indomitable Blade is so awesome :allears:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

I pushed the Celes button and the Apoc was pretty easy with pubbies :v:

Yeah I had that the first time and it was awesome until I realized nobody brought any source of slow and had to go back for mastery. At least it was only 1 stamina.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Did a dollar on the newest banner and got a three.

Was angry enough to drop fifty mythril.

Eh, should I be happy?

Like I've said before I have good RNG typically so three fives is still good to me either way.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This regular ultimate is the biggest cockblock I've run up against in a long rear end time. I know I'm going to fly through the rest of the fights but seriously this is so god drat random its ridiculous.

edit: literally had him 1 hit, everyone at full health, full mitigation, with a Yshtola bubble on, he counters, paralyzes EVERYONE, and they stay that way for 6 rounds until mitigation wears off and he AoEs everyone to death. Like seriously what the hell?

Combo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Combo posted:

This regular ultimate is the biggest cockblock I've run up against in a long rear end time. I know I'm going to fly through the rest of the fights but seriously this is so god drat random its ridiculous.

edit: literally had him 1 hit, everyone at full health, full mitigation, with a Yshtola bubble on, he counters, paralyzes EVERYONE, and they stay that way for 6 rounds until mitigation wears off and he AoEs everyone to death. Like seriously what the hell?

Welp good to know my banner draw was a waste for this dungeon.

I'm laughing at how messed up that is. I've been there, it's a rotten feeling to be close and get screwed that badly.

As if the game is trying to force you to spend resources.

hmmmmmm

• Locked thread