Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You should definitely try to read the Kirby comics. There's a miniature movie monster planet and a Darkseid run evil amusement park and etc etc insane ideas to infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually just read Devil Dinosaur and nothing else, and then sell your comics collection.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does anybody know of any good articles or blog entries about the New Gods/Fourth World stuff?

I've got this and I need the shelf space if you want to make an offer. I think AMazon's listed price is ridiculous.

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-Fourth-World-Omnibus/dp/1401213448/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've read a bunch of it, I just can't afford to buy the hc's. It's less "I don't know much and want to know more" and more "I enjoy reading people write well about interesting comic book characters." I agree Amazon prices for them are crazy, though. Reminds me of how the original Punisher MAX omnibus was up to 1K at one point.

Man, a New Gods RPG or Musou game would rule.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just seen the Pictures For Sad Children thread that got closed. What happened with the original webcomic? How come the artist is trying to delete all trace of it and themselves from the net? I liked it back in the day and still have a Paris shirt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Escobarbarian posted:

Just seen the Pictures For Sad Children thread that got closed. What happened with the original webcomic? How come the artist is trying to delete all trace of it and themselves from the net? I liked it back in the day and still have a Paris shirt.

Mental breakdown.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Mental breakdown.

Or possibly extremely long-form performance art. I guess this is poe's law in action. It's a real shame.

Speaking of beloved webcomics disappearing forever, if anyone has an archive of Bear & Kitten strips please post them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Or possibly extremely long-form performance art. I guess this is poe's law in action. It's a real shame.

To paraphrase Roast Beef the middle cat, their friends and family are all being eaten alive by worry, so if they are kidding they are like Andy Kaufman good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was reading Fantagraphics' latest Don Rosa collection the other day, and as great as they are, the one thing that sometimes takes me out of it is that I can't imagine Donald saying some of his dialogue in his Donald Duck voice. Not so much with the nephews, for whatever reason. Just Donald. :shrug:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, I don't actually think that. I just hope he gets help. Although if anyone in the internet era is Andy Kaufman good it would absolutely be the PFSC guy. That Michael Keaton twitter he ran for a while was insane surrealist comedy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since March was so well received, do you guys think Marvel should hire John Lewis to do a run of X-men or something?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I uh, I'm not sure that's a good fit for Lewis. Doesn't seem like a big X-Men fan to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Only if the UK print guarantees 5 years of insufferably middle class X-Men problems, with a refund if somewhere else does the exact same story for cheaper.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

I uh, I'm not sure that's a good fit for Lewis. Doesn't seem like a big X-Men fan to me.

What are you thinking, Moon Knight?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm thinking more along the lines of nothing. John Lewis has more important things to do than waste time on superhero comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would hope a US congressman doesn't have the time to write a monthly comic book.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aphrodite posted:

I would hope a US congressman doesn't have the time to write a monthly comic book.

I would prefer a lot of them did that than some of the stuff they actually do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lol since Trump started a Twitter war with Lewis March sales have gone through the roof.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was reading Fantagraphics' latest Don Rosa collection the other day, and as great as they are, the one thing that sometimes takes me out of it is that I can't imagine Donald saying some of his dialogue in his Donald Duck voice. Not so much with the nephews, for whatever reason. Just Donald. :shrug:

It's hard to imagine the old cartoon version of Donald doing the sorts of things he does in the comics. The cartoon version isn't much like the Barks/Rosa Donald. But I wonder what Donald will be like in the new Ducktales.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Madkal posted:

Lol since Trump started a Twitter war with Lewis March sales have gone through the roof.

Yeah, it's been on my to do list for a while, but I'm probably getting it tomorrow and I won't even be around to read it for 2 weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weird ranger but does anyone use their local Facebook buy and sell groups? A friend linked me to a rather large comic collection up for sale and I plunged down the rabbit hole or people selling garbage, blatantly stolen items and actual literal garbage.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, the animated voice has never worked for Barks or Rosa's dialogue. I don't even bother trying to imagine it. In my head, Comic Donald sounds like a Mel Blanc character (not quite Daffy, but not very far, either).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh, the animated voice has never worked for Barks or Rosa's dialogue. I don't even bother trying to imagine it. In my head, Comic Donald sounds like a Mel Blanc character (not quite Daffy, but not very far, either).

Maybe sort of like Sylvester?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Due to forces outside my control, I will be spending a weekend alone in Paris. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a place to go for French science fiction or comics?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I found out on Friday morning that on Wednesday night, one of my best friends was murdered. So as expected, I've been a bit out of sorts and very sad but I've been dealing with it as best I can. But today I had a customer interaction that reduced me to tears and I'm still sitting here trying to feel normal again.

So if I come off as more of an rear end in a top hat than normal you all know why.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorry to hear that, but if you don't think you can post without being an rear end in a top hat then maybe take some time away from the computer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Sorry to hear that, but if you don't think you can post without being an rear end in a top hat then maybe take some time away from the computer?

We all gotta find our therapy somewhere bro.

Also I have many opinions that people still need to hear despite my grief.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The last time I lost a friend I dove head first into my work to take my mind off of it. I totally understand throwing yourself into something stupid like the forums but just make sure that you get probations and not bans.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 16, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think my descent in to bigger jerk over the last 72 hours is directly related to me finding out more terrible things about the circumstances of her death. It's like, whoa terrible.

Or we can pretend I'm channeling Lurdiak?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sorry to hear man. But stop being a smelly jerk!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Part of it is I feel like BSS is a very defensive forum, people get their feelings hurt far too easy in here when someone says they don't like a book/show/film and it tends to be far too easy to push buttons.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

We all gotta find our therapy somewhere bro.

Also I have many opinions that people still need to hear despite my grief.

Sorry to hear about your loss. If it makes you feel better feel free to tell us your feelings on John Byrne.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Sorry to hear about your loss. If it makes you feel better feel free to tell us your feelings on John Byrne.

I'm exhausted that subject. He's fallen so far that every time he opens his mouth I feel embarassed for him.

A few people have PMed for details on my friend (one calling me a liar) but I'm not gonna post too much here. So if you're curious just PM me, it's actually incredibly horrible so if you don't want your day ruined you should remain curious.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm so sorry, man. That is truly terrible, and I'm sorry. I'm sure everyone here is.

I'm more curious about the customer who pushed you too far. Was it the interaction itself, or were you already almost there? Apologies if you don't want to talk about that either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm so sorry, man. That is truly terrible, and I'm sorry. I'm sure everyone here is.

I'm more curious about the customer who pushed you too far. Was it the interaction itself, or were you already almost there? Apologies if you don't want to talk about that either.

Oh that, I thought i put those details in. I was sad, like really sad. I was sitting on the floor filing comics and i guess i had a few tears on my face. Some dude walked by and in his best "Jay" voice said "Well look at this morose motherfucker here." and it just hit me so hard. I know it's pathetic but I just felt shattered. I got up and went to the back to compose myself. When I came back my coworker said the guy was apologizing his rear end off after I went back but I took so long to return he had left.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

Oh that, I thought i put those details in. I was sad, like really sad. I was sitting on the floor filing comics and i guess i had a few tears on my face. Some dude walked by and in his best "Jay" voice said "Well look at this morose motherfucker here." and it just hit me so hard. I know it's pathetic but I just felt shattered. I got up and went to the back to compose myself. When I came back my coworker said the guy was apologizing his rear end off after I went back but I took so long to return he had left.

Who the gently caress does that to any kind of strangers? Like seriously? What the gently caress is so broken in your head that you think that's a loving good idea to do to anyone, whether they're sad or not. gently caress that guy, seriously. No apology can make up for that kind of bullshit.

Edit: Misread part of this. Thought he kicked you. Either way, It's still not cool and super hosed up if you didn't know him.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 16, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know you don't take poo poo from anyone at your store, so I'm glad it wasn't someone who tried to out-rear end in a top hat you, or a parent abusing a kid, or anything like that. The guy was trying to be funny, but I don't think he was trying to make you feel worse on purpose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel like I should explain my level of sadness. I loved this woman who died. Very much. Before I met the person I am now with I thought that my heart was going to be with my friend forever. It was no secret how I felt about her but she didn't feel the same way. So to lose someone who loved so much in such a violent and horrible way, well I'm kind of a mess!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno, that is straight up horrific. Words can't do justice to that kind of tragedy. I hope you can get through this, and you have all my sympathy. You can PM me if you need to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Rhyno, that is straight up horrific. Words can't do justice to that kind of tragedy. I hope you can get through this, and you have all my sympathy. You can PM me if you need to talk.

Yeah I ain't dealing with it in the healthiest way. I had a tooth extracted last week and i may be dipping into my painkillers a bit quicker than I need to. So I'm all over the goddamned map really.

• Locked thread