Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Good lord, Samuel Clemens you weren't kidding about Planet of the Vampires. loving awesome, easily among the top 3 best movies about finding a bunch of very big skeletons in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Slice of life: I have a girlfriend...for the first time in like 4 years. It's weird but good. :keke:

I'm gonna show her Green Room.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
With each movie he makes, I become less convinced Mike Flanagan has it in him to create a truly fantastic movie. I can see the ambition in almost all of them but he never sticks the landing and I'm starting to think he's limited by either his own skills or vision, as opposed to budget or script.

Still rooting for the guy though.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Slice of life: I have a girlfriend...for the first time in like 4 years. It's weird but good. :keke:

Already aching for the single life, I see.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

With each movie he makes, I become less convinced Mike Flanagan has it in him to create a truly fantastic movie. I can see the ambition in almost all of them but he never sticks the landing and I'm starting to think he's limited by either his own skills or vision, as opposed to budget or script.

Still rooting for the guy though.

He's kinda like a slightly lesser Adam Wingard to me. Both seem to come up short of what they're aiming for, I just prefer Wingard's work. Oculus sucked, Hush was all right and Ouija 2 was pretty good, so at least he's sort of on the right trajectory whereas Wingard's most recent was his weakest.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

You didn't jump straight to Miami Connection? For shame...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Already aching for the single life, I see.

My plan is to immediately show Satantango to the next girl I'm dating

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Wait a dang minute... Amy Adams is 42?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I want Hayao Miyazaki to make a a Jodorowsky film.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As an insomniac, this is my favorite time of year--the Australian Open. Coverage on ESPN and online feeds of pretty much every court from 7pm~7am New York time. :dance:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Wait a dang minute... Amy Adams is 42?
She moisturizes with the blood of virgin sacrifices.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Youtubes of the insomniacs, one of my top punk songs of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEcIJeVlRBI
If I Can't Have What I Want, I Don't Want Anything by the Screamers

So punk they never did a studio recording.

Peer Pressure is pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJRep5QDeh4

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

SAMUEL CLEMENS, are you manually searching Youtube to reconcile your list?

Yeah, I just enter the relevant search terms (usually title and year, sometimes title and director or an alternate title) and see what comes up. There are a ton of uploads which are either in a different language, intentionally shoddy quality to get around the copyright detection, or simply clickbait, but you start recognising those fairly quickly after a while. Conversely, you also start noticing accounts which consistently upload quality content. Every film with hardcoded Croatian subtitles is by the same guy, for example.

Why, is there a more convenient way? :v:

Budgie Jumping posted:

Good lord, Samuel Clemens you weren't kidding about Planet of the Vampires. loving awesome, easily among the top 3 best movies about finding a bunch of very big skeletons in space.

It's a really pretty film, too. Almost on par with Forbidden Planet in terms of colour usage and set design.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Come out to your dad right now, just as his guard is finally down.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I still haven't watched most of the movies posted scattershot I have bookmarked, Clems you're gonna kill me with all these

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXIDFx74aSY

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Budgie Jumping posted:

Yeah you haven't really seen Alien or Prometheus until you've seen Planet of the Vampires. Tangentially, I watched Forbidden Planet for the first time yesterday and holy poo poo is Forbidden Planet a cool looking movie. The special effects, sets, and matte paintings are sick looking.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I just enter the relevant search terms (usually title and year, sometimes title and director or an alternate title) and see what comes up. There are a ton of uploads which are either in a different language, intentionally shoddy quality to get around the copyright detection, or simply clickbait, but you start recognising those fairly quickly after a while. Conversely, you also start noticing accounts which consistently upload quality content. Every film with hardcoded Croatian subtitles is by the same guy, for example.

Why, is there a more convenient way? :v:

It's a really pretty film, too. Almost on par with Forbidden Planet in terms of colour usage and set design.

That's what I"m talken about! You're a hero btw.

The Peccadillo posted:

I still haven't watched most of the movies posted scattershot I have bookmarked, Clems you're gonna kill me with all these

My list of unwatched YtotDs and other movies posted on here is disgustingly long, but I also have dozens of things recorded on my tv, and in my various streaming queues. All this despite averaging 10 movies a week the last few months. Art is long

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio&t=12s

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I've only seen Redux once and have only seen the original cut since then. Nothing terrible, but it's a much tighter film.

I would have picked it up too if I hadn't gotten the 3-disc set a few years ago that includes Hearts of Darkness.

They did have L.A. Confidential, though, so I picked it up since I've been meaning to see it for a while.

L.A. Confidential is a masterpiece. If you can take your attention away from the god-tier acting, take in how dope the cinematography is.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Assuming we're just talking narrative film and not documentary, using a rough cutoff of 2005-present, here's 15 in no real order:

Syriana
Sicario
Carlos
Munich
Children of Men
Gomorrah
In the Loop
'71
Heli
A Hijacking
Hunger
Lincoln
Breach
Burn After Reading
Che

I would also put Zero Dark Thirty on that list. It's really a great movie and knowing about all the poo poo that happened while they were making it only makes it more interesting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I would also put Zero Dark Thirty on that list. It's really a great movie and knowing about all the poo poo that happened while they were making it only makes it more interesting.

I do like Zero Dark Thirty a lot, but I'm not up to the task of defending it as a "hard-hitting political film"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I felt ZD30 was sort of obsoleted by Sicario

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I felt ZD30 was sort of obsoleted by Sicario

I wouldn't go that far, but Sicario is definitely way more defensible politically

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

L.A. Confidential is a masterpiece. If you can take your attention away from the god-tier acting, take in how dope the cinematography is.

For a while there in the '90s, Dante Spinotti was just knocking it out of the park in everything that he did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boogyman needs to come to Colorado. James Elroy does a in person screening of something almost all the time at my local Alamo.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

FishBulb posted:

There are like 4 people who like this movie. Good luck.

I am one of the 4. It rules

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

For a while there in the '90s, Dante Spinotti was just knocking it out of the park in everything that he did.

I forgot it was him for some reason, but yeah, what a genius. I don't really like Heat much on a script or directing level, but goddamn if it isn't maybe the most beautifully shot American film of the '90s.

CelticPredator posted:

Boogyman needs to come to Colorado. James Elroy does a in person screening of something almost all the time at my local Alamo.

Interesting, I didn't know Ellroy was out there. I spent a week or so in Durango a while back and had a good time. Colorado's a beautiful state.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He just moved here a few years ago, and does one or two screenings a year here.

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/09/23/james-ellroy-calls-denver-alamo-drafthouse-home-for-new-film-series/

I always think of you when I see his name pop up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Dickeye's the bigger Ellroy fan than me, all I've read was The Black Dahlia but that's definitely a great book. Despite adoring L.A. Confidential the movie, I still haven't read the book.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People tell me often to go down to LA to see about film poo poo, I tell them hell no. I'd rather stay in CO and help create a film place here. The potential for locations is astounding here. It's a great place.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't really like Heat much on a script or directing level, but goddamn if it isn't maybe the most beautifully shot American film of the '90s.

I think Fargo, Saving Private Ryan, The Insider (coincidentally another Spinotti joint) and arguably Titanic have to be in that conversation, but, yes, Heat is loving gorgeous.

Edit: Apollo 13 is mind-blowingly beautiful, too.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

I think Fargo, Saving Private Ryan, The Insider (coincidentally another Spinotti joint) and arguably Titanic have to be in that conversation, but, yes, Heat is loving gorgeous.

Edit: Apollo 13 is mind-blowingly beautiful, too.

Yeah, the Insider, oof, what a tremendous movie that is all around. I think that and not Heat should be regarded as Mann's magnum opus. Definitely right that Fargo and Saving Private Ryan deserve a spot, and if we're talking SPR we of course also have to mention The Thin Red Line.

I haven't seen Apollo 13 in forever, I should rewatch it.

CelticPredator posted:

People tell me often to go down to LA to see about film poo poo, I tell them hell no. I'd rather stay in CO and help create a film place here. The potential for locations is astounding here. It's a great place.

A friend who's very active in film just moved to Arizona and from the stuff she posts it seems like they have a pretty cool film community as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They do! Mostly everyone here is quite nice. I've been on a few shoots with some buddies and they do some real nice work! I shot a short with a buddy down at the sand dunes, which would've been incredible had we got gotten kicked out. But s'okay though.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I like the part where the captain is communicating with the crew of the other ship via video screen, and it's clearly just three actors cramped inside the set behind a glass window. It's genius, I'd never seen that before.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
loving love that trick.

Delightfully subverted here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG-0V-85H_0

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
MLK day might be the worst day of the year to go on social media

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

MLK day might be the worst day of the year to go on social media
Just gotta get some better social on your media.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If it helps any, I learned today that MLK Jr. was a killer pool hustler in college.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't recommend touching your eye after cutting chill. In fact I strongly discourage it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I seen folks being like "yo don't hate on The Young Pope, because it's very much in on its own jokes" and I'm like, man... nothing could make me hate on it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't recommend touching your eye after cutting chill. In fact I strongly discourage it.

Don't go pee either.

• Locked thread