Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pro Wrestling has always been the most baffling form of entertainment to me. There's a lot of stuff I don't like but on some level I can understand why people enjoy it. But people pretending to fight each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Pro Wrestling has always been the most baffling form of entertainment to me. There's a lot of stuff I don't like but on some level I can understand why people enjoy it. But people pretending to fight each other?

This argument has been done over and over again but that describes any sort of fight or action scene in a movie, show or play ever. Do you think it's weird that people pretend to do things for entertainment

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Why would somebody watch Friends. People pretending to be friends with eachother?? I don't understand the appeal"

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't care about wrestling one way or the other, but I think the reason it is considered especially stupid or low-brow is the same reason why stuff like Nascar and Lifetime TV is. The stereotypical target demographic is one that a lot of people like to distance themselves from.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

This argument has been done over and over again but that describes any sort of fight or action scene in a movie, show or play ever. Do you think it's weird that people pretend to do things for entertainment

That's a fine comparison if you want to completely ignore all the subtitles of why wrestling is really weird and stupid.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

That's a fine comparison if you want to completely ignore all the subtitles of why wrestling is really weird and stupid.

It's both of those things and I don't think anyone who follows wrestling on these forums disagrees with that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't care about wrestling one way or the other, but I think the reason it is considered especially stupid or low-brow is the same reason why stuff like Nascar and Lifetime TV is. The stereotypical target demographic is one that a lot of people like to distance themselves from.

Wrestling fans definitely aren't courted for obvious reasons but you might be surprised where their fans fall demographically now. Wrestling changed over from a hick thing to a nerd thing in like the last 15 years

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That reminds me of an opinion that's got to be real unpopular maybe, after watching wrestling isn't wrestling I went through the creator's youtube channel; Landis is primarily a writer who works in Hollywood and has done a lot of short films, tv shows, movies and comic books and has seen the film industry from the perspectives of writer, director and producer and on his channel he sometimes does short opinion pieces on Hollywood, specifically the way and why of how it does its business. It sometimes comes off as a histrionic defense of Hollywood's shittier practices but IMUO it's really more of an overview of the pressures producers currently face as seen by an insider. The pressures are just things filming costs going up, gross ticket sales going down, modern metrics/analytics now dictating creative decisions, what all that means for the future, etc. Red Letter Media sometimes does similar pieces albeit usually from the outside.

Other content creators also do it but I actually enjoy watching Landis' take on it even if his style of vloging is pretty intense, abrasive and prone to foot-in-mouth disease. All that just reminds me that I shouldn't take his word as gospel but it is food for thought.

Aesop Poprock posted:

That short film is really bad for multiple reasons and I only noticed that after watching it a couple times

i bet, just in consideration of the number of liberties he would have had to have taken with the material to wring out a cohesive, slow-burn, 20 years-in-the-making odyssey of storytelling and characterization from the WWE

still, i have to admit i had fun looking at something in a completely new way

quote:

Wrestling is also bad for multiple compounding reasons but I still watch it and know way too much about it. Like probably more than any other random trivia subject

it's not really my thing anymore but i can watch it just fine if i'm with someone really knowledgeable and enthusiastic about it

hard counter has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Jan 16, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a fun match if you never watch wrestling and think it's dumb and just want to watch an American and British man flip around each other like they're in an anime in front of appreciative Japanese people

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dxp1b

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing about Wrestling is I was very entertained by it up until the age of about 14 and I really don't understand why other people didn't get bored and fed up of all the cliches at the same point I did.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Selling senseless violence to children as entertainment is wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Unlike other form of media, wrestling has no other purpose (artistic, narrative, symbolic) than to show people hitting each other. It uncritically embraces and commercially exploits the darkest aspects human nature like a gladiatorial arena of today. It's a "sport" for sociopaths and stunted people, no matter if it is nominally "fake" (the culture it promotes certainly isn't fake, and neither is the fact that pretty much everybody involved in it professionally seems to be a terrible person on some level).

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Jan 16, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Unlike other form of media, wrestling has no other purpose (artistic, narrative, symbolic) than to show people hitting each other. It uncritically embraces and commercially exploits the darkest aspects human nature like a gladiatorial arena of today.

Are you familiar with professional wrestling even as a concept because it sounds more like you're describing a (again, totally flawed) version of MMA

You know pro wrestling is the one that's a narrative fake sport that usually has ongoing storylines and characters?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are you familiar with professional wrestling even as a concept because it sounds more like you're describing a (again, totally flawed) version of MMA

At least MMA promotes athleticism and has some semblance of sportsmanship, instead of building "narratives" around violence. Just being "cartoonish" or garish isn't a defense, if anything it just is more troubling because it attempts to trivialize and conceal the underlying issues.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

steinrokkan posted:

At least MMA promotes athleticism and has some semblance of sportsmanship, instead of building "narratives" around violence. Just being "cartoonish" or garish isn't a defense, if anything it just is more troubling because it attempts to trivialize and conceal the underlying issues.

I bet you get into a frothing rage when loony tunes comes on tv.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

How is it different than a comic book, tv show or movie where the good guy beats up all the bad guys

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I bet you get into a frothing rage when loony tunes comes on tv.

I know I do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The thing with wrestling is that it used to take itself pretty seriously and acted like it was real. Kayfabe was A Thing and you never, ever broke character. Ever.

Then eventually people started realizing that it was really, really fake (this isn't a difficult thing to see) while wrestling realized that nobody actually gave a poo poo if it was real or not.

So wrestling started taking itself less seriously. Professional wrestling is stupid. It knows it's stupid and just runs with it. The best way I ever heard it described was "a soap opera with huge stunt men for guys."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

How is it different than a comic book, tv show or movie where the good guy beats up all the bad guys

None of those things are nearly as braindead and direct in placing the bouts of violence itself as the centerpiece to be admired, while actually physically damaging the "performers" in the process (and it's not like there is something to be admired about loads of other media - just because I only mentioned one form of perverse brutishness doesn't mean I advocate for others). As I said, even MMA carries with it positive connotations, but not wrestling, which is just the face of depravity laid out as bare as modern society allows.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

None of those things are nearly as braindead and direct in placing the bouts of violence itself as the centerpiece to be admired, while actually physically damaging the "performers" in the process (and it's not like there is something to be admired about loads of other media - just because I only mentioned one form of perverse brutishness doesn't mean I advocate for others). As I said, even MMA carries with it positive connotations, but not wrestling, which is just the face of depravity laid out as bare as modern society allows.

I literally don't think you've ever seen wrestling at this point

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

steinrokkan posted:

As I said, even MMA carries with it positive connotations, but not wrestling, which is just the face of depravity laid out as bare as modern society allows.
MMA is literally just real people fighting each other as entertainment though? Like, I can see how you can make an argument that media glorifying violence is bad, but I don't know how you can rate wrestling as worse than MMA by that standard.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

steinrokkan posted:

Violence is the most human thing represented in all art. Violence is arguably more human than sex. To deny wrestling is to deny humanity.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If Trump is right about one thing it's that Alec Baldwin's impression of him is not funny. Also I'm not sure if this is unpopular but SNL hasn't been funny in well over a decade.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pro Wrestling is basically live action anime

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kate McKinnon consistently puts in solid work. The Brooklyn Bubble sketch was also great a month or so ago. No way I'm sitting through a whole episode but there's a few good things to watch every month.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its amazing how much we would improve ourselves as a species by euthanising people who watch boxing and MMA.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My main problem with pro wrestling is the terminology and the made up words like kayfabe. You can't call the good/bad guy "the good/bad guy", no it has to be a "face" or a "heel", etc. It's like you're intentionally trying to make people sound like idiots when discussing it.

I also never really understood the "it's like a soap opera" defense. You're in your mid 30s, liking soap operas isn't really something most people would brag about.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the few wrestling matches I've watched I've laughed a great deal at the play acting and been wowed at the athleticism and acrobatic skill. Some of those huge guys can fling themselves around.

I've also been wowed while watching athletic and acrobatic people at circuses etc.

Why get outraged at WWE?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wwe is great because of the characters and music they produce and the over the top ridiculousness they have. Just imagine someone is giving an important speech on an upcoming international trade deal and then JOHN CENAS music hits and he comes out to shout down and beat down the speaker while making good opposition points.

Shits funny precisely because its ridiculous and WWE has given this to us.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If Trump is right about one thing it's that Alec Baldwin's impression of him is not funny. Also I'm not sure if this is unpopular but SNL hasn't been funny in well over a decade.

His impression of him is.....ok. His material and comedic delivery are awesome.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Aesop Poprock posted:

"Why would somebody watch Friends. People pretending to be friends with eachother?? I don't understand the appeal"

I know you're making another point but I would just like to say that Seinfeld is better. At least the people on Seinfeld knew they were assholes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

free basket of chips posted:

Pro Wrestling is basically live action anime

starkebn posted:

the few wrestling matches I've watched I've laughed a great deal at the play acting and been wowed at the athleticism and acrobatic skill. Some of those huge guys can fling themselves around.

I've also been wowed while watching athletic and acrobatic people at circuses etc.

Why get outraged at WWE?

I'm serious, watch that Will Osprey vs Ricochet match I posted earlier. It's two muscular flippy dudes trying to out flip each other and getting mad whenever they stalemate. It's so anime even some other pro wrestlers were getting pissed at it in real life. It ended up with Vader having a match with one of them

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

I know you're making another point but I would just like to say that Seinfeld is better. At least the people on Seinfeld knew they were assholes.

I started with Seinfeld but Friends made for an easier comparison cause of the wordplay

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"It's just like my animes" is not an endorsement, hth

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

His impression of him is.....ok. His material and comedic delivery are awesome.

I watched the press conference one and it was just the same tired pee jokes we've been hearing the past several days+ straight :shrug: Watching Trump himself speak is often funnier than what Baldwin does.

Unpopular TV opinion: I just finished rewatching Dexter and the ending really isn't nearly as bad as I remembered thinking/hearing it was. I actually like it now. The treadmill scene is still awful but the rest of that season and the finale are pretty good. The real worst season+season finale was season 5.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

"It's just like my animes" is not an endorsement, hth

Live stuff where grown human beings fly around like dbz characters is fun but you're so settled on your weird 80s mom style "pro wrestling is next to the devil" mindset I don't think you're gonna enjoy it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wrestling is like comic books in that it's completely absurd and I could never get into it but I love learning about the insane things going on in that world, especially if told to me by a passionate fan.

Although with comics my reasoning for not getting into them is more because I never tried at a young age and I feel like I can't take on an entire medium at this point. I can only be nerdy about so many things and music, sports and TV take up all that space for me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm serious, watch that Will Osprey vs Ricochet match I posted earlier. It's two muscular flippy dudes trying to out flip each other and getting mad whenever they stalemate. It's so anime even some other pro wrestlers were getting pissed at it in real life. It ended up with Vader having a match with one of them

see, what's not to like there? It's just like a fun circus act.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lucadores are minimal drama and lots of dudes flying all over the place and that poo poo is awesome to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My main problem with pro wrestling is the terminology and the made up words like kayfabe. You can't call the good/bad guy "the good/bad guy", no it has to be a "face" or a "heel", etc. It's like you're intentionally trying to make people sound like idiots when discussing it.
That stuff is annoying, but it makes sense that it exists when you look at the history of wrestling where they spoke in code to keep up the charade of being a legitimate sport, and it's pretty much the same as the slang that gets used for other genres, like how if you watch the DC TV shows then you know "metas" are people with non-magical super powers, or if you watch cop shows then you know terms like "perp" and "MO".

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wrestling is like comic books in that it's completely absurd and I could never get into it but I love learning about the insane things going on in that world, especially if told to me by a passionate fan.
Comics are a medium, wrestling is a genre. By which I basically mean that Spider-Man is absolutely nothing like Maus, but Lucha Underground is very similar to WWE.