Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Didn't think we'd have color footage of Russ Meyer's formative years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you're interested in cinematic schadenfreude, rent a copy of the Blair Witch (2016) that just came out.

Either by coincidence or intent, the director's commentary was recorded two weeks after the movie came out, to both commercial and critical failure. And boy howdy, are the two dudes upset about it. At first you think they are just being self-mocking, but no, they keep bringing it up.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Snoo posted:

this girl is hardcore and a reminder that I still have much to learn about self-defense

She's outright cheating by kicking during a boxing match. Also, he blocked almost every single punch she threw while he was on the ground, so yeah, you don't know poo poo about self defense.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Regrettable posted:

She's outright cheating by kicking during a boxing match. Also, he blocked almost every single punch she threw while he was on the ground, so yeah, you don't know poo poo about self defense.

That's why refs never stop the match when someone is mounted and turtled up and doing nothing.

your friend a dog posted:

while hacking is unfortunate, theres some bizarre point of view how it's not fair that the leaks turned people away from the democratic party, as if voters should be forced to ignore blatant corruption simply because it came from a biased source

I think it's more the "third or fourth time in US history someone won popular vote but lost electoral college" bit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Regrettable posted:

I don't think you can cheat in self-defence.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Chichevache posted:

Our aristocrats don't call themselves "lords" and we don't have a loving monarch. :patriot:

That makes them worse. Aristocrats you can at least kill, but since wealth fetishisation is always a thing, people are going to rally around to defend their bosses because they think they'll get rich.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If you let this one guy build a house however he wants and without planning permission, some other guy is going to look at that and do the same. Why bother applying for planning permission if they'll let you build whatever if you just whine hard enough.

Sucks for the guy and it looks like a neat house, but building regs are a thing for a reason.

This is it really, it's not that his house was especially bad it's that he tried to circumvent planning rules entirely is why they dicked him over so hard. It's a farm building area and not particularly special so building a slightly less gaudy house would probably have been fine.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
She got in nine hits including the kick before he was able to block anything. Nicely done.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, when I see someone trembling on the ground covering his head in his hands and unable to even react, I think "drat, that kid's good at blocking, you show that girl"

E: I bet they just cut the footage at the moment when he super-saiyaned up and piledrove her through that fence, he was just biding his time taking all those hits to the face

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Never underestimate the importance of the tactical punch to the forehead.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

spog posted:

I don't think you wear boxing gloves and fight off boxing-gloved attackers in self-defence situations, either.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I laugh every time at that gif. Usually kids just wildly flail at each other, but this girl just owns him with a nice body kick + straight right hand.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Aramoro posted:

This is it really, it's not that his house was especially bad it's that he tried to circumvent planning rules entirely is why they dicked him over so hard. It's a farm building area and not particularly special so building a slightly less gaudy house would probably have been fine.

Quite. It's actually pretty easy to get around planning laws. If he hadn't a. Been such a dick and b. Designed such a tacky house he probably would have been ok.

Bear in mind we don't have as much space as a lot of countries, most if the time the planning laws are there for a good reason (though they can get a bit corrupted on a local scale).

Garuantee everyone locally thinks this guy is a dick. Look at that farm, jesus.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think it's more the "third or fourth time in US history someone won popular vote but lost electoral college" bit.

It's why we have an electoral college.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

Our aristocrats don't call themselves "lords" and we don't have a loving monarch. :patriot:

What about a pissing monarch?

Owwww right in the freud

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You’ve heard about the Three‐Fifths Compromise? How slaves were allowed to count as three‐fifths of a free person for Congressional representation?

The reason the Electoral College exists is to enable that advantage to count in presidential elections.

That’s it. That’s all there is to it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Actually I clicked this to find out what kills the spectators. What does?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

spog posted:

Incorrect. Failing to give a warning sigh before cutting a mugger down with your katana is considered unsportsmanlike.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regrettable posted:

The rules went out the window the second he punched her in the back while she was walking away. Don't start none, won't be none. :colbert:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Karate Bastard posted:

Actually I clicked this to find out what kills the spectators. What does?

MisterOblivious posted:

Auspol fights in the Schadenfreude thread

Decrepus posted:

This kills the spectators.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

You’ve heard about the Three‐Fifths Compromise? How slaves were allowed to count as three‐fifths of a free person for Congressional representation?

The reason the Electoral College exists is to enable that advantage to count in presidential elections.

I always thought it was so that the wealthy white landowners who wrote the constitution could be drat sure only the "right" people would get in, i.e. wealthy white landowners, so they included a backdoor for other wealthy white landowners to invalidate any election whose outcome they didn't like.

And also to gently caress black people.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always thought it was so that the wealthy white landowners who wrote the constitution could be drat sure only the "right" people would get in, i.e. wealthy white landowners, so they included a backdoor for other wealthy white landowners to invalidate any election whose outcome they didn't like.

And also to gently caress black people.

It's a multifunctional system.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Regrettable posted:

you don't know poo poo about self defense.

The Snoo posted:

I still have much to learn about self-defense

but yeah this:

spog posted:

I didn't mean proper ~professional~ self-defense poo poo, I meant how to get better with reflexes and also gently caress a dude up. :getin:

snoo has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jan 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Snoo posted:

I didn't mean proper ~professional~ self-defense poo poo, I meant how to get better with reflexes and also gently caress a dude up. :getin:

Rub Flaming Hot Cheetos in an attackers eyes. You're never unarmed if you have Flaming Hot Cheetos.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aside from the slavery aspect (which was a major function of the EC!), we have the electoral college because the founding fathers thought the average person was a mouth-breathing cretin who could easily be taken in by a charismatic charlatan making outlandish promises to get into power. So instead of allowing the People to vote directly for the President, the electoral college forced them to vote for intermediaries who would, in theory, be Wiser and Less Gullible than the everyday population, thus limiting the ability of a con man to get into the White House.

It's completely against the intent of the EC for the population to vote directly for the President and for states to mandate that electors vote with the majority of the population, and leads to situations like the one we have now - situations that the electoral college was explicitly designed to avoid.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

camacho 4 prez

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rub Flaming Hot Cheetos in an attackers eyes. You're never unarmed if you have Flaming Hot Cheetos.

would flamin' hot funyuns suffice?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Besesoth posted:

Aside from the slavery aspect (which was a major function of the EC!), we have the electoral college because the founding fathers thought the average person was a mouth-breathing cretin who could easily be taken in by a charismatic charlatan making outlandish promises to get into power. So instead of allowing the People to vote directly for the President, the electoral college forced them to vote for intermediaries who would, in theory, be Wiser and Less Gullible than the everyday population, thus limiting the ability of a con man to get into the White House.

It's completely against the intent of the EC for the population to vote directly for the President and for states to mandate that electors vote with the majority of the population, and leads to situations like the one we have now - situations that the electoral college was explicitly designed to avoid.

And then the EC did exactly what they wanted the EC not to do because the con man making outlandish promises actually lost the popular vote, but the Electoral College has been completely twisted around from the original intent behind it: the general population still technically votes for the president because representatives in the EC are effectively barred from voting against whoever wins the popular vote in their state even if there's legitimate fear of that person getting into power, but the rules regarding electoral votes means that you can actually lose the election but still get in because of the electoral vote math working in your favor. Instead of being a check on the popular vote, it's essentially become a cheat for someone on the edge.

And so the situation they had foreseen comes to pass not because of the lack of an Electoral College, but because of its presence.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Karate Bastard posted:

What about a pissing monarch?

Owwww right in the freud

Hey now no need to get pigish. This beastial dick waving contest is hosed in the head if you ask me.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Besesoth posted:

Working well, I see.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Stoatbringer posted:

Working well, I see.

I assumed that was :thejoke:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

e: :wtc: just realized this is the scootenfrood thread and not a political one, if this derail is irritating you skip this post but I don't want to just axe it after I spent the time to write it all, on the off chance someone is interested.

Just reminding everyone that all of my nation's founding documents, and the body of supporting writings surrounding them, are freely available to anyone who is interested in reading them. The English is of course fairly dated and the topics under discussion are arcane and legalistic even before you add in that particular wrinkle, but that poo poo is all there.

The fact is that the ostensible on-the-box justification for the Electoral College is specifically to provide a safety cutout against something like a Trump administration (there are a couple of other Presidents in our past who were both breathtakingly corrupt and unimaginably incompetent, it remains to be seen just how bad Trump will actually get (this isn't a 'give him a chance' statement, it's a 'learning about real American history is pretty jaw-dropping' statement)), it also functions in order to ensure that only The Right Sort of people (white men, of course, but only the wealthiest subset of property owners; everyone seems to blithely assume that these will also be the best-educated and -informed of spectacularly wealthy white males) are permitted to take office while providing the surface story for plausible deniability, and in the mid-1800s the system was changed deliberately and overtly in order to promote and safeguard the political influence of the slave states on the national stage.

All of that poo poo can be, and is, true at the same time. I've found in the last year or so, though, that if you open with the 3/5ths compromise you get some garbled version of the Original Intent back as a rebuttal. Well, in the last few months that's been true, before that most responses were blank stares (or the internet text equivalent) or evasions, but the few who had some inkling of the background of all of this would almost uniformly come back as I described.

LonsomeSon has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Jan 16, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't think you wear boxing gloves and fight off boxing-gloved attackers in self-defence situations, either.

This^

My point was that saying someone's badass for deliberately breaking the rules is kind of dumb and he was actually defending himself pretty well considering the situation, but I was really drunk and failed pretty hard at making it. My apologies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

No, sorry, despite what Vox and HuffPo have told you, that is completely ahistorical bullshit. I understand that it's a comforting notion to console yourself with rather than face up to the fact that Hillary ran a lovely, awful campaign, one that she might not have even had the opportunity to run had the DNC not fixed its own internal election to choose a candidate, but it's simply a false and untrue statement as a matter of history..

Hint: Northern states that had *already abolished slavery* also supported the Electoral College system. PA abolished slavery in 1780, and Gouverneur Morris argued at the Convention that a "great evil of cabal and corruption" couldn't be avoided under popular vote. Massachusetts representatives to the Convention argued similarly, despite slavery being de facto outlawed in 1781 (there wasn't a law passed forbidding it, but lawsuits stripped it of legal enforcement). Ditto Connecticut's representatives. There was actually real and highly significant contemporary opposition to a national popular vote for reasons that had nothing whatsoever to do with slavery, and delegates from slave states and from states that had already abolished slavery had severe misgivings with Wilson's popular vote proposal. Including Morris, who was Wilson's *fellow delegate*. Wilson's popular vote proposal wasn't really in the running, it was considered radical and dangerous; the real debate was between the national legislature electing the President and having the state legislatures involved. *Even Wilson* considered it a long shot.

So no, that is definitely not "all there is to it."

LonsomeSon posted:

Just reminding everyone that all of my nation's founding documents, and the body of supporting writings surrounding them, are freely available to anyone who is interested in reading them. The English is of course fairly dated and the topics under discussion are arcane and legalistic even before you add in that particular wrinkle, but that poo poo is all there.

Yep. I sure wish more people would do that rather than having their historical awareness spoon-fed to them by Ezra Klein.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Jan 16, 2017

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's some amazing schadenfreude guys...

anyway

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Electoral College as an idea has nothing to do with slavery, but the issue of how slaves would be counted had to be dealt with, so the issues got all wrapped up together at the 1787 Convention. The slave states weren't just going to say "yea go ahead and count all slaves exactly the same as free men", because that would totally undercut the philosophy that their entire economy was built on. They also weren't willing to let the slaves go completely uncounted because that would mean they'd get like 30% less representation in the legislature.

So a compromise was made that allowed slavery to be accommodated into the Electoral College system, but there was nothing inherently pro-slavery about the idea of the College itself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ekuNNN posted:

That's some amazing schadenfreude guys...

anyway

Man that cat is fat as hell

This one is fatter though & also very uncomfortable, prime schadenfreude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FxGkFMmSQ

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-CgzTkyF4

This is the best "Newscaster laughs at wrong time" video.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-CgzTkyF4

This is the best "Newscaster laughs at wrong time" video.

I saw that guy's eyes and I burst out laughing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Scalpers taking losses on tickets to Trump inauguration, as secondary market interest on the mogul’s swear-in wanes

quote:

Rosenberg bought the pair of tickets on Craigslist from a "Second Amendment activist" in Katonah, N.Y., last week and immediately listed them on his Facebook account, as well as back on Craigslist.

But after receiving no interest, he visited a handful of white supremacist websites, including the Daily Stormer, where he posted listings for the tickets on the site's message boards.

Welcome to the FBI Watchlist, idiot.

Brocktoon has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jan 16, 2017