Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Duct Tape posted:

New to this, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the best way of priming/painting a miniature separate from an already prepared base? So far I've always based the models and then primed everything all together, and this is my first time going in a different order.

Right now I have the models stuck to temporary bases with blue sticky tac, and was going to prime/paint them there. Once finished, I'll pop them off and superglue (edit: I'm actually using All Purpose Goop) them to the actual bases I want them on. Does this seem like a good plan?
I'm a bit worried about the sticku tack. I'll wind up not priming the bottom millimeter of the model, and I'm concerned that the model will just fall out of the tack halfway through painting. Also, will the superglue Goop mess up the already-prepared base?

Is there a better way of going about this?

You could drill into a foot and pin the model to a piece of cork. That's what I did with Horus here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

BlackIronHeart posted:

You could drill into a foot and pin the model to a piece of cork. That's what I did with Horus here.

Will that work for really small contact points? This is the set I'm working on (not my picture), and those legs are about 2-3 millimeters wide. That guy in the middle/front has an arm that's only about 1mm thick. Bit worried about accidentally punching a hole through their tiny, tiny legs.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 15, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I just lay my guys down on a paper plate, spray em, wait for them to dry, flip them over, and spray the back.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Avenging Dentist posted:

I just lay my guys down on a paper plate, spray em, wait for them to dry, flip them over, and spray the back.
Oh Jesus I'm dumb. I never even thought of flipping them over and priming them a second time. That solves the first problem entirely.

What about gluing to an already prepared surface? I might try pinning with the larger models, but I don't want to drill a hole into a 1mm-thick arm. Should I stick with Goop, give regular ol' superglue a try, or does it really not matter.

I'm really getting into this stuff. Been painting random cheap Reaper Bones miniatures to get a hang of things, and finished up my fifth miniature ever today. I really like the way it turned out :)

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

When you say "already prepared surface", exactly what do you mean? Are we talking like Reaper Bones, where a good chunk of their selling points were "doesn't need primer" (thus implying a pre-treated surface)? Or are we talking already primed (or worse, painted) models and bits?

For plastic minis, I tend to make sure it's been cleaned (i.e. no mold release or other residue) and just superglue one piece to another. Metal or resin have the larger, receiving end (shoulder joints, knee nubs, etc) scored with an exacto knife, occasionally have the other piece scored where it'd make contact, and a drop or two of superglue and I haven't had too many issues with dislocation. I might even fill the connection gap with a bit of green stuff and hit that with superglue on both ends as well, partly to set the surface of the green stuff, partly to give another bond for the pieces other than just themselves.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Duct Tape posted:

New to this, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the best way of priming/painting a miniature separate from an already prepared base? So far I've always based the models and then primed everything all together, and this is my first time going in a different order.

Right now I have the models stuck to temporary bases with blue sticky tac, and was going to prime/paint them there. Once finished, I'll pop them off and superglue (edit: I'm actually using All Purpose Goop) them to the actual bases I want them on. Does this seem like a good plan?
I'm a bit worried about the sticku tack. I'll wind up not priming the bottom millimeter of the model, and I'm concerned that the model will just fall out of the tack halfway through painting. Also, will the superglue Goop mess up the already-prepared base?

Is there a better way of going about this?

I did the same thing for my Grey Knights so it definitely works. You might want to consider using a little dab of superglue to glue the bottom of the model`s foot to a bit of sprue or the like, it'll hold better than bluetac but still be easy to snap off. Superglue is not caustic so it won't hurt the base, although it may set into a 'frosty' pool if you overdo it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Injuryprone posted:

Also, is the Citadel Essentials worth it for a beginner? It has the below for $33, which seems pretty good?

Didn't see an answer for this. It may be worth it as a taster if you want to experiment with the colours you like the look of, so long as you are aware those paints are 3ml and not the regular 12ml pots so you actually get hardly any of each colour, probably only enough for a couple squads or so. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/citadel-essentials-ENG?_requestid=7434065

I guess it isn't terrible but still overpriced compared to something like the Army Painter starter set - http://shop.thearmypainter.com/new_releases.php - which gets you 10 full-sized paints and a brush.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I bought a Citadel essentials set to get back into painting. About half of these tiny pots were nearly dry when I opened them for the first time, they seem even worse than regular GW pots in that regard...

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Army Painter Wargame set is where I started and it's not a bad kit for like $23. Decent little synthetic brush (although you would probably want larger for basecoating) and 9 colors plus their strong tone wash. The yellow and red have kind of poo poo coverage so if you're going to lean on those colors you might want to grab a slightly darker tone basecoat with and use the Army Painter ones to highlight. The silver is quite nice with a super fine metal flake and the black is strong as gently caress. The quickshade kit is good to pair with it giving you a black and sepia wash plus blue, red, green, and purple ink.

If you want tools and stuff bundled in at the same time Army Painter also has a bigger version of the Wargame in the Hobby Set which comes with clippers, more brushes, hobby knife, file, glues (CA, PVA, and plastic cement), and a small cutting mat.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Duct Tape posted:

Oh Jesus I'm dumb. I never even thought of flipping them over and priming them a second time. That solves the first problem entirely.

What about gluing to an already prepared surface? I might try pinning with the larger models, but I don't want to drill a hole into a 1mm-thick arm. Should I stick with Goop, give regular ol' superglue a try, or does it really not matter.

I'm really getting into this stuff. Been painting random cheap Reaper Bones miniatures to get a hang of things, and finished up my fifth miniature ever today. I really like the way it turned out :)

I have a bag of extra bases and I just put a drop of super glue on a single foot and stick them to a temp base for painting. The bases get over spray and glue and stuff on them but they get textured over and painted later anyway.

I have necrons, so there is no way to drill a hole and wire/cork mount them. The super glue always pops off fine with a bit of leverage coming at the side with an xacto blade without damaging anything, despite them having paper thin feet.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

This guy is the first mini I finish since the 90's. He took me more than a day but I feel I learned a lot with him.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Duct Tape posted:

Will that work for really small contact points?
Yes. I just pinned like 40 Malifaux minis because the client likes resin bases and gently caress attaching them by sprue connectors. There's not much that can't be drilled with 0.3mm bits.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I mean, y'all could just use blu-tack instead of pinning.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Blue tack can be a little wobbly if something has narrow contact points, but is generally fine.

If you're really that concerned, glue them to an extra base using very little superglue and just snap them off when you're done. Worst case scenario you take an extra two seconds to file the bottoms of feet before gluing them to a finished base.

I know the pictures aren't great but can anyone give me feedback on the Skaven I posted earlier?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Duct Tape posted:

If you mean "already painted/primed", I just scrape any paint off the contact point with a hobby knife and then glue them together.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ayn Marx posted:

This guy is the first mini I finish since the 90's. He took me more than a day but I feel I learned a lot with him.

This guy's great, keep it up!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

You can pin anything with a small enough bit and plenty of patience.

What's the stuff I can use to melt cyanoacrylic glue on metal models. I came into some good second hand stuff yesterday. I'm in the US.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

You can pin anything with a small enough bit and plenty of patience.

What's the stuff I can use to melt cyanoacrylic glue on metal models. I came into some good second hand stuff yesterday. I'm in the US.

Acetone turns it into a kind of weird jelly after a long soak. Acetone is pretty nasty though and anything not metal will be wrecked.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I am painting a Martian Skitarii and I've hit a bit of a mental block on shading the inside of his robe. As it stands it is a solid layer of Ushabti bone over a Rakarth Flesh base. I'll be highlighting it with Palid Wych Flesh. Any suggestions for a way of shading in a natural looking shadow? Would 1:1 Nuln and medium be too harsh?

Thinned Agrax is the most obvious route, but it almost seems wrong, more like how you would shade bone.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Acetone turns it into a kind of weird jelly after a long soak. Acetone is pretty nasty though and anything not metal will be wrecked.

Just sticking it in the freezer for 24 hours also works. Better for breaking glued parts apart, but it can work for scraping old super glue off.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What can be used to clean up some roughness from filing plastic models at the sprue connections? A little plastic cement or a wet sand?

Also, would following a technique like this for basing look ok? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEhHerFOdU He basically just glues army painter pre-painted sand, some tufts of grass and flock on a base, without painting. Maybe I would dry brush something really light over it, too. Looking for something that looks decent but takes very little time.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Whenever people put stuff on a base and don't paint it, it looks wrong to me. It looks like aquarium toys.

Get some Vallejo Black Lava or Dark Earth paste. It doesn't get easier than one layer of goop on a base before priming.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

Blue tack can be a little wobbly if something has narrow contact points, but is generally fine.

If you're really that concerned, glue them to an extra base using very little superglue and just snap them off when you're done. Worst case scenario you take an extra two seconds to file the bottoms of feet before gluing them to a finished base.

I know the pictures aren't great but can anyone give me feedback on the Skaven I posted earlier?

The skaven was sweet. The red shirt was especially nice. I think if you're going to do anything. With the sword, maybe a lil edge highlighting but he's a group of forty, and it looks fine as is

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Current WIP on Gorm from Kingdom Death.

Still need more work on the hands and places where the shadows can be deeper. Most of the work uses an airbrush and Scale 75 paints (and mainly the Unnatural Flesh set).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dr. Phildo posted:

The skaven was sweet. The red shirt was especially nice. I think if you're going to do anything. With the sword, maybe a lil edge highlighting but he's a group of forty, and it looks fine as is

There's some edge highlighting on there but the sword in general is a little wonky. I used brush on primer for the sword arm and the metallic paint refused to take on it properly.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I am painting a Martian Skitarii and I've hit a bit of a mental block on shading the inside of his robe. As it stands it is a solid layer of Ushabti bone over a Rakarth Flesh base. I'll be highlighting it with Palid Wych Flesh. Any suggestions for a way of shading in a natural looking shadow? Would 1:1 Nuln and medium be too harsh?

Thinned Agrax is the most obvious route, but it almost seems wrong, more like how you would shade bone.

Seraphim Sepia seems like a good match for this situation. Also Screaming skull is a good intermediate between the Ushabti Bone and Palid Witch Flesh.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ayn Marx posted:

Nice job, looks really good!

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished off Gorm for Kingdom Death.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Finished painting my first Harlequin. There are errors everywhere, but I'm pretty drat pleased with myself right now. I'm sure the next 20 or so will look much better.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Love the Gorm,terrifying and the shading with the purple is really eerie and great.

I like the harlequin too, I think your eye is naturally more critical than anyone else add photographing it only makes it worse, the diamond pattern looks amazing and is really consistent over a large varied surface. Brill

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

dr_ether posted:

I like how the top right hand is shooting you the guns.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone have a good source for modeling gutter trash and other random crap, and making an otherwise clean base look dirty?

Specifically this one:

I'm not really sure what to do with it, but it looks a little too artificial to me

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Anyone have a good source for modeling gutter trash and other random crap, and making an otherwise clean base look dirty?

Specifically this one:

I'm not really sure what to do with it, but it looks a little too artificial to me

Pigment powder would be one of my first suggestions. Brown, green, and a rusty color would do well. Either with straight-up brushing it on, or turning it into a wash with water or 90% alcohol. A little goes a long way with that stuff.

I'd also consider using washes in a few places. Maybe by flicking it off a brush so it lands in splatters and tints/stains the base. I'd also put sand on it in a few places--like up against the bottom of the lip there, and in scattered spots. If you happen to have some brown leaves (like from birch tree seed pods or used dried-up tea leaves) that'd also look really good and give it a kind of windswept city-street look to it. I also can't help but feel that a yellow or white line on the black portion of the base would make it feel more city-like. Y'know, like a no parking/bike lane near the curb.

Additional items to include: bottles, newspaper, cardboard boxes, shell casings, old food (with pigeons eating from them). Some of these you can make on your own, like newspaper and cardboard boxes (cardstock goes a long way), while others you might have to sculpt yourself.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Vallejo has like engine grease effect too

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Speckled Jim posted:

Seraphim Sepia seems like a good match for this situation. Also Screaming skull is a good intermediate between the Ushabti Bone and Palid Witch Flesh.

Thanks, I went with 1:1 Agrax & medium in the end. It turned out okay I think, if anything maybe a bit too subtle.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

Specifically this one:

In addition to weathering, you could cut out a rectangle of paper and fold it to look like a magazine or newspaper. Either freehand some stuff on it, or print something out in the right size before cutting it out. Wet it and then set it with some white glue and it should look about right.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Alokgen posted:

Finished painting my first Harlequin. There are errors everywhere, but I'm pretty drat pleased with myself right now. I'm sure the next 20 or so will look much better.

This is really good. The high lighting on the black cloak is nice, the diamond pattern came out great and that soulstone on the belt :pusheen:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

dr_ether posted:

I'm the lovingly sculpted anus with the carefully painted leakage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

File your nipples, greenstuff your anus.