Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Light Gun Man posted:

And if you're going to a bar in Peoria, try the 8-bit Beercade (actually their monitors and some controls were kinda hosed up but whatever it was fun)

If you get on 55 and head to Brookfield (probably 2-2.5 hours from Peoria) you could go to the Galloping Ghost arcade. It looks like they recently upped the price from $15 to $20 but you get to play as long as you want for the day, so it's obviously still cheap compared to every other arcade. If GCCX ever visits Chicago, they should go there because it is pretty crazy. Not only is it a bargain price-wise, but they have a ton of unique games. They had SEGA's Time Traveler and Holosseum, the only (I think) working cabinet of Atari's Beavis and Butthead, F Zero AX (you sit in it and the seat moves as you go around curves), Metal Gear Arcade, Mega Man The Power Battle, the only (I think) Primal Rage 2 cabinet, and a ton of other impressive games. There was also a Left 4 Dead setup that I didn't know existed. I tried to stop and play older titles Arino played bits of during retro console segments (like Flicky) but was constantly distracted by the sheer number of games in there. That said, it's definitely a tight squeeze (and I'm by no means a big guy) and I'd recommend going during a weekday if possible because it seemed to be busy all weekend. I also saw (and bought) a bottle of Bawls for the first time in at least 15 years. A lot of the cabinets are hobbled together, though. Titles with free play have jumpers set properly and others have a fake coin insert button on the cabinet.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but there's a separate room straight in the back with even more games. There's still a section to the right of the picture, to the left on the other side of the entry door, and a huge room in the back. I didn't really talk to anyone working because they had their hands full when it got busy about an hour after getting there, but it was a really cool experience and I want to go again when it warms up a little.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hmm I think Arino has been here.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloodplay it again posted:

There was also a Left 4 Dead setup that I didn't know existed.

Well now you know! It was developed for Japanese markets, where it enjoyed a brief period of popularity around 2015. It's already fallen out of vogue, but the same can be said of other games that came out around the same time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Congrats to Dave for his hard-fought victory over poo.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

Congrats to Dave for his hard-fought victory over poo.

Hmm, looks like SEX is almost entirely off the table.

*realization hits home with incredible force* ahh gently caress

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Arino playing Bomberman backstage right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YrHReUh50

edit: well, that was over fast. However, this is the stream that seems to show all stage events plus extras from https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/experience.html

The stream upload is now up for watching. See Arino play Switch game on stage starting at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YrHReUh50&t=5443s

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The stream upload is now up for watching. See Arino play Switch game on stage starting at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YrHReUh50&t=5443s

- Begins playing.

- Swings sword around.

- Runs off a cliff and dies.

I laughed hard and long at that.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

You guys really need to learn about the timg tags, please use them :v:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

Galloping Ghosts stuff

It's also noteworthy for having a copy of Segasonic the Hedgehog, which is one of the most terrible things I've ever experienced in an arcade that didn't involve bodily fluids.

I've been to GG several times, and it's definitely a great place. The reason they upped their price recently is because they went and bought a neighboring building so they would get some more floor space. They also have a good, if small, selection of pinball tables.
The worst things I could say about the place are that they have next to zero parking and sometimes the monitors on the lesser known games (mostly the slightly-less-old japanese shmups like from Cave or Treasure) are sort of crap, but I've seen things improve between one visit and the next so it's not like it's some forgotten, hyper-neglected mall arcade.
But really, the best part of going might be just knowing that playing any random game you see will only cost you time, so you can experience things like Segasonic without worrying that you'll run out of tokens while playing Radiant Silvergun or whatever later.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Klades posted:

Segasonic the Hedgehog

I've never heard of this. I googled it, got a gameplay video, laughed and thought "wow, I wonder what rom they hacked to make this, looks like it could be fun."

NOPE

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
My friend set the WR on that machine (at least the tracked one). It's still not a good game. Galloping Ghost has its own set of problems if you're a regular there, but that's mostly another story - I still take visitors there without question and casually it mostly delights people who are old enough to remember things like mall arcades.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just out of curiosity what are those kinds of problems?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

I did this on a Galaga machine, no regrets.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Ineffiable posted:

Just out of curiosity what are those kinds of problems?

The argument you can make I guess is quantity over quality. They have a huge selection, but given the amount of traffic they get there is bound to be a minor issue on some cabs on any given time, that and the few times I've been there I didn't see a whole lot of candy cabs, probably more of a space concern than anything. I wonder if they'll ever be able to fix the Beavis & Butthead cabinet. The last two times I went there it wasn't working.

GG would definitely be tops for all of Chicagoland. For the city itself I would recommend Logan Arcade since it's a barcade, they take good care of their machines (regular maintenance and I swear to god they move things around and remove/add/rotate stuff every week), they have some cool events and rare pinball/arcade cabs, and there's a really dedicated ST/3S community there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I guess on this day and age, even minor issues on cabinets is not a bad thing when you have entire towns and maybe even cities that just don't have an actual arcade. At all. It's a dying thing and I'm sure it's better to exist with a few problems than not to exist at all.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Tatsujin posted:

The argument you can make I guess is quantity over quality. They have a huge selection, but given the amount of traffic they get there is bound to be a minor issue on some cabs on any given time, that and the few times I've been there I didn't see a whole lot of candy cabs, probably more of a space concern than anything. I wonder if they'll ever be able to fix the Beavis & Butthead cabinet. The last two times I went there it wasn't working.

GG would definitely be tops for all of Chicagoland. For the city itself I would recommend Logan Arcade since it's a barcade, they take good care of their machines (regular maintenance and I swear to god they move things around and remove/add/rotate stuff every week), they have some cool events and rare pinball/arcade cabs, and there's a really dedicated ST/3S community there.

A whole lot? There's literally no candy cabs unless they JUST added them with the expansion. And no, my issues are people-centered and have to do with management handling things and poor communication for the regulars. But I'm not here to air dirty laundry, and that's why casual visitors would never know the difference.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is a Nintendo 64 game, what one would you like to see him play?

I'd say either Blast Corps or Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mystical Ninja would be amazing if only for the impact song and the really bad early 3D overworld which would almost certainly result in hours of wandering.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

Goldeneye

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kakaricho posted:

Goemon would be magical. I have so much nostalgia for that game. I remember renting it all the time, but only ever getting to play the beginning since people would always delete my save.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

If you're going to a bar in Brisbane, try this one:

If you're in South Dakota, come to my place:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kakaricho posted:

Yeah those, the other Goemon, or Mischief Makers.

Goldeneye or Perfect Dark would make for good segments with the ADs and poo poo maybe but I sort of doubt they'd play them.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Flying Dragon, the SD RPG mode especially as I can hardly imagine the aims of the grind and him trying to deal with the bosses.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Maybe a little too straightforward for a challenge (get him to do the Hard route maybe??), but Star Fox 64 would be great

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mentioning Blast Corps made me check whether it was even released in Japan and boy oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6OYLQ3Au2M

BLASTDOZER

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, I really wish it's Goemon 64.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You guys should probably remind yourselves as to who made Goemon 64.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

You guys should probably remind yourselves as to who made Goemon 64.

Goemon 2 was the latest DVD exclusive challenge.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Then where's Metal Gear dammit!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Then where's Metal Gear dammit!

It's 20 years old next year, I'll be requesting it weekly from that point.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Goemon 2 was the latest DVD exclusive challenge.

I forget, do you guys translate DVD exclusives? :ohdear:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Myron posted:

I'm not you guys but it looks like there are a few translated challenges that were DVD exclusives.

I also hope it's Goemon. Definitely one of the most unique games I played on the N64. Watch pykn's speed runs of it if you wanna see some cool tricks. I used a GameShark to get Sasuke and totally skipped out in two temples. Oops. Love the soundtrack.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

It's 20 years old next year, I'll be requesting it weekly from that point.

No no no. Metal Gear. MSX or famicom.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Mentioning Blast Corps made me check whether it was even released in Japan and boy oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6OYLQ3Au2M

BLASTDOZER
Speaking as someone that got all Platinum times (NTSC) back in the day, I would absolutely love to see him play this one, even though I'm guessing medal counts won't matter for him to clear the game.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Myron posted:

I did a few just to get used to it when VR-GCCX was around, and a few other have also been done, but I think to focus is on the TV episodes.

Mister Chief posted:

No no no. Metal Gear. MSX or famicom.

Well, they do have an MSX, might be a good first challenge...
Thays said, I imagine there's some issues with that series given Konami and Kojima's relationship these days.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 22, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cubeboy posted:

Speaking as someone that got all Platinum times (NTSC) back in the day, I would absolutely love to see him play this one, even though I'm guessing medal counts won't matter for him to clear the game.

today's challenge: clear diamond sands

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Bandai Namco is holding a fanart contest that uses their retro titles. Winners get their piece converted into a mystery-solving game at Namco Bandai’s Nazotomo Cafe, as well as 50,000 yen. Arino is one of the judges, and you can get the “Arino Prize” which gains you 50,000 yen, as well as one request to Arino, with the suggestions being.

- An illustration by Arino of your art.
- A gift from Arino.
- A game or manga that Arino recommends.

As well as hearing requests outside of this.

Arino's drawing was "Pappy"

http://estar.jp/.pc/_ofcl_evt_outline?e=149886&

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 22, 2017

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Doom 64

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Throw Duke Nukem 64 on there too! But yeah Goemon 64 is one of my top wanna see him plays. That early 3D games era in general is good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think Arino has said that first person games make him motion sick, so we probably won't see that one, no matter how much fun it would be.

What it be Majora's Mask just to really freak people out...