Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Superior technology beats brute strength my man. It's only natural. Have you seen some of those savages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
New trailer for the Tangled series on Disney channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1_DlQH86Y

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So Cartoon Network is running commercials for a mobile game based on the new Ben 10, which is giving us our first look at footage from the series, and it sure does look like Ben 10 made in the 2010s. Not enough to really made a judgement on, but the art will take getting used to.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

So Cartoon Network is running commercials for a mobile game based on the new Ben 10, which is giving us our first look at footage from the series, and it sure does look like Ben 10 made in the 2010s. Not enough to really made a judgement on, but the art will take getting used to.

Given how Ben 10 is apparently really popular internationally, they've been premiering episodes outside of America for months now

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HelloWinter posted:

New trailer for the Tangled series on Disney channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1_DlQH86Y

That's some pretty good animation, although it's still weird that they're making a 2D show out of a 3D movie. It seems like just yesterday that everybody was sure that CG was the wave of the future that was going to overtake any 2D cartoon in time.

But then again, Disney's still been leading that charge for a while now and pretty much every animated movie these days is full CG. I don't get it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tangled was stupendously expensive, so I guess when faced with a choice between low budget 3D and low budget 2D they decided that 2D was still the better choice. I imagine that if it was 3D it would be compared unfavourably to the film.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Tangled was stupendously expensive, so I guess when faced with a choice between low budget 3D and low budget 2D they decided that 2D was still the better choice. I imagine that if it was 3D it would be compared unfavourably to the film.

Isn't Tangled's budget so large because it's actually the sum of 2 or 3 different failed Rapunzel adaptations and they all technically get counted as one production? Still, I don't think there's ever been any stigma against 2D for TV series so I guess why not.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They're also doing 2D for the Big Hero 6 cartoon, and i'm guessing that 2D will also be used for the inevitable Frozen cartoon they'll announce this year (unless Frozen is too big for TV and they do a sequel instead)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't 3D supposed to be cheaper than 2D these days though? That was one of the reasons for the switch, I thought.

And then once you have the 3D models already made, it's just a matter of wiggling them around in new ways. After the initial investment it's cheaper.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isn't 3D supposed to be cheaper than 2D these days though? That was one of the reasons for the switch, I thought.

And then once you have the 3D models already made, it's just a matter of wiggling them around in new ways. After the initial investment it's cheaper.

It depends on the technique.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The 3D in Tangled was supposed to approximate watercolor or pastels or some drawing technique so I can see that being folded into the cost.

Disney probably knows that cute concept art can breathe new life into recognizable characters. And you don't have to spend time rendering light and shadows for it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I forgot what a charming movie Tangled was until watching that trailer.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They're also doing 2D for the Big Hero 6 cartoon, and i'm guessing that 2D will also be used for the inevitable Frozen cartoon they'll announce this year (unless Frozen is too big for TV and they do a sequel instead)

I'm gonna say they do both. Disney will milk that cash cow for all it's worth

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Give me a Zootopia series or give me death.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SlothfulCobra posted:

CG has a weird shelf-life and can look dated really quickly, and also requires a lot of engineering in order to achieve current baseline expectations of quality. In order for it to not look like hot garbage and fit within the demanding production schedule TV requires, it makes sense that 2D is still pretty popular for this kind of production, albeit a more puppet-based 2D than traditional.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's some pretty good animation, although it's still weird that they're making a 2D show out of a 3D movie. It seems like just yesterday that everybody was sure that CG was the wave of the future that was going to overtake any 2D cartoon in time.

But then again, Disney's still been leading that charge for a while now and pretty much every animated movie these days is full CG. I don't get it.

The animation's good but the art style/character designs are really really Flash animation-y. I imagine that's the reason it's cheaper than 3D

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yes please to Furry Filmore.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Considering how awful the animation on Riders of Berk could get in some episodes (episode 9 was horrible, for example), I don't think it's that simple.

Also, is the team for Tangled the same one which worked on Penn Zero? Because the designs and animation look to be the same type.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

X_Toad posted:

Also, is the team for Tangled the same one which worked on Penn Zero? Because the designs and animation look to be the same type.

I know that tangled's gonna be done at mercury filmworks (season 1 of WoY, Mickey Mouse shorts, early star vs episodes, etc)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:agreed: I think either that or a sequel (or both) is pretty likely considering it's like the 5th top grossing animated film ever.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I know that tangled's gonna be done at mercury filmworks (season 1 of WoY, Mickey Mouse shorts, early star vs episodes, etc)
It's not just the same animation studio, the visual design is just strikingly similar. Wander over Yonder and Star didn't look like that, not even early on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pakled posted:

:agreed: I think either that or a sequel (or both) is pretty likely considering it's like the 5th top grossing animated film ever.

If marketing or brand presence at their parks is anything to go by, it seems like they've already forgotten Zootopia exists.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

If marketing or brand presence at their parks is anything to go by, it seems like they've already forgotten Zootopia exists.
It's almost as if they don't want to promote a property that almost immediately became weird gender/speciesswap furry art.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FilthyImp posted:

It's almost as if they don't want to promote a property that almost immediately became weird gender/speciesswap furry art.

Eh, I'm not so sure. Whatever their reason for pumping the brakes on marketing Zootopia, I doubt furries factor into it. I think that's taking an overly internet culture-centric view to think that the weird groups us jaded forum posters have encountered matter all that much outside the internet. There's a ton of appeal to Zootopia outside of furry stuff and the vast majority of people who watched the movie will never know about furry fetish art of the movie. Those infamous Frozen fetish games haven't stopped Disney from marketing the gently caress out of Frozen.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wouldn't be surprised if Zootopia had a sequel or something down the road, a TV series isn't going to sound right because making that many hours of inoffensive television from a script that intrepidly addressed social tribalism and cultural stereotyping is difficult.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I still argue that if they did a Parks and Rec style office comedy with Zootopia, it'd be oddly fitting.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If bronies couldn't kill MLP then furries can't kill Zootopia.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If bronies couldn't kill MLP then furries can't kill Zootopia.

I thought bronies were what allowed MLP to flourish? By watching it religiously and buying merchandise out of the wazoo?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

paradoxGentleman posted:

I thought bronies were what allowed MLP to flourish? By watching it religiously and buying merchandise out of the wazoo?

To a part yeah basically, they weren't expecting a sudden army of weird manbabies to spring up and spread the gospel of their show, but they sure didn't mind all their money that came with it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember when they tried to encourage bronies to become "belly buddies" when they rebooted Care Beard?

Thankfully I do not.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 16, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Remember when they tried to encourage bronies to become "belly buddies" when they rebooted Care Beard?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

That has got to be the most fitting typo ever.

Also, that was a thing?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waffleman_ posted:

Care Beard

Finally,a show aimed specifically at Goons.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

To be fair, Alan Young was already pretty famous at least as far as TV goes prior to him voicing Scrooge so it's really not all that different in this case.

Sheeit. This made me realize that, contrary to my beliefs, there's a very significant portion of the VA community that came from T.V./film acting.

- Mark Hammil
- Tim Curry
- David Warner
- Patrick Warburton
- Brad Garrett
- Ed Asner

I mean, I knew this was already the case to some degree, but it's actually more prominent than I figured. My whole world is falling apart. D:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ramos posted:

That has got to be the most fitting typo ever.

Also, that was a thing?

Yeah, a couple years after MLP's success The Hub tried to do a Care Bears reboot and were clearly trying to cultivate a brony-like following for it.

Needless to say (and fortunately), it did not take.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regular Show is over, making it the first Cartoon Network original series of the 2010s to end.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Waffleman_ posted:

Regular Show is over, making it the first Cartoon Network original series of the 2010s to end.

What about Mad?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Well, end, as in reach it's finish.. not just.. dumped into a ditch, abandoned, hoping that people forget it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, MAD was WB Animation, not Cartoon Network Studios, so technicality.

I am going to be honest, I completely forgot MAD existed. And remembering MAD made me remember Annoying Orange, so thanks a fuckin' lot for that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Gaunab posted:

What about Mad?

Mad was WB animation. Though yeah CN also gave the

PicklePants posted:

dumped into a ditch, abandoned, hoping that people forget it.

treatment to the CN Studios produced Sym-Bionic Titan, Robotomy, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and Problem Solverz

Plus Ben 10 Ultimate Alien and Omniverse both got proper finales if you count the different Ben 10's as separate shows

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also forgot about Incredible Crew.

So really, Regular Show was the first show worth a drat to be given a proper ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. was totally worth a drat and also survived to an ending, despite CN's best efforts to murder it at every opportunity.