Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

canyonero posted:

Hey 4-2 buddy, I was at the MN regional too. I brought Kanan (TLT, title, Finn, Rey, Tac Jammer, FCS), Biggs (M9-G8, IA), and Zeb (Chopper, title).

I started the day off 4-0, lost to Palp Defenders that I think I did as well as I could have (rolled 6 hits against Ryad, she took 2 damage. later rolled 5 hits against her, she took 1 damage). My last game was against Clint, who won the Milwaukee Regional. 3rd turn of the game, I thought I dialed in a 2 hard left for Kanan and a 4 straight for biggs. Whoops, I swapped dials and Biggs jumped off the board and Kanan landed on a rock. I still came within 1 hull of winning, but I was probably on tilt after that screw up.

My wife and I are going to Phoenix for a week at the end of the month, and it coincides with the AZ Regional, so I'll probably bring it there too. Maybe I can make the cut this time.

I was also there, though I was all the way down at 2-4, my worst tournament result. I had 2 Scouts with Feedback, trick shot, and r4 Agromech and three pirates with Feedback, and faced seven y-wings and a u-wing in my first two games. Oh well, I'll definitely be back when the opportunity presents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Wacko posted:

If it goes well I plan on making a whole fruit bowl out of my remaining rebel ships.

An apple A-wing
Poe's Plum for my T-70 maybe?
The Y-wing I'm not sure about, I could also turn it into a banana, or a watermelon.

I've also only painted one thing ever. I'm pretty sure this will turn out fine...
Might be prudent to save the watermelon scheme for a spare TIE for when the new wave finally shows up. Might I suggest cherries for the Y?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I played a bunch of matches in the last 2 days with FenZuckMan and switched it to Kong's mindlink list Ventress, Fenn and Manaroo since it seemed everyone was building stress lists to try to beat me. Figured I needed to be a bit tankier and it worked well. I have went 6-1 and had a tie(tourney rule win) due to the shop closing. Most of the matches were close, too close. I now know at least 2 people in the store tournament next weekend are trying to fine tune their stress list so they can try to beat me. I'm kind of honored they are worried about someone who has been playing for just over 3 weeks, but I have a few questions.

1. Would you guys and gals recommend that I stick to my VFM list or should I change it up to throw people off.

2. Any tips for playing against lists that are built around making GBS threads out stress. I noticed they had crappy defense and punished them for that and I would rotate a ship out to range three to shed stress to keep the link going.

3. While I think it is great practice to bash my lists against lists that are being built to specifically beat me, I really don't like that I am basically letting them practice against my list for the tourney. Should I back off playing it at the shop until the tourney?

I know I really don't have to worry about this stuff when I travel outside of town for tournaments.

Wanted to come back to this post:

1) The Asajj/Fenn/Zuckuss list is very strong. It's more well-rounded than FennZuckMann, in that Asajj is significantly more survivable than Zuckuss. However, it doesn't hit anywhere near as hard, so the games go longer.

2) Make sure you understand the stress rules. Tactician only works at range 2 in arc. Rebel captive only stresses the first person who shoots it. R3-A2 occurs with each attack, but they have to declare they're using it BEFORE they shoot. Mindlink only shares ONE stress at most; if a ship is already stressed, it doesn't get a second from the Mindlink.

Very rarely will you come out double-stressed on anyone, with the major exceptions being R3-A2 on a Y-Wing with its title and a turret, or Braylen with R3-A2 and Tactician.

A single stress is easily dealt with. You just take green moves. Both Manaroo and Fenn have amazing dials. Zuckuss's dial is much less forgiving, but as long as one of the others gets to take a focus, he doesn't really care.

It does make it harder to turn around; so just go slow with Zuckuss, block with Manaroo, and do two-turn into boost with Fenn. Shouldn't be hard to keep people in shooting range with any two of those three, and probably three of them.

3)I find it's best to be good with two lists, and bring one or the other to each tourney. Mix it up. I run FennZuckMan but also run Miranda with 2 Y-Wings.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Quick question: Is there a reference guide somewhere to help a relatively new player (m'self) deal with timing and order in the game? Like, I got most of the game, but I don't exactly understand where rerolls, focus, offensive rerolls, what happens if you reroll and get a focus symbol, does Zuckuss happen before Autothrusters, etc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

susan posted:

Quick question: Is there a reference guide somewhere to help a relatively new player (m'self) deal with timing and order in the game? Like, I got most of the game, but I don't exactly understand where rerolls, focus, offensive rerolls, what happens if you reroll and get a focus symbol, does Zuckuss happen before Autothrusters, etc.

Yes, there is!

The FAQ has a very detailed flowchart. However, for general purposes, modification times go like this:

Attacker chooses target
Attacker rolls red dice
Defender modifies red dice (Example: Sensor Jammer)
Attacker modifies red dice (focus, target locks, etc)

Defender rolls green dice
Attacker modifies green dice (Example: Zuckuss, Juke)
Defender modifies green dice (evade tokens, focus, etc)

Compare results (this is where most "cancel" effects take place, like Crack Shot)

Or another way to look at it: the person who rolled the dice modifies them last.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So if most cancel results occur in the compare results stage does the r3/juke combo not work then?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes, there is!

The FAQ has a very detailed flowchart. However, for general purposes, modification times go like this:

Attacker chooses target
Attacker rolls red dice
Defender modifies red dice (Example: Sensor Jammer)
Attacker modifies red dice (focus, target locks, etc)

Defender rolls green dice
Attacker modifies green dice (Example: Zuckuss, Juke)
Defender modifies green dice (evade tokens, focus, etc)

Compare results (this is where most "cancel" effects take place, like Crack Shot)

Or another way to look at it: the person who rolled the dice modifies them last.

Awesome, thank you :) !

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So if most cancel results occur in the compare results stage does the r3/juke combo not work then?

R3 triggers during "modify attack dice" and Juke triggers during "modify defense dice", so should work fine.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

• Horton - R2-D6, TLT, Expertise (36)
  • ??
  • ??
  • ??

100 points

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

• Horton - R2-D6, TLT, Expertise (36)
  • ??
  • ??
  • ??

100 points

Rey
Falcon Title(180 Turn)
Kanan
Finn
Smuggling Compartment
Inertial Dampners
Expertise
Throw vectored thrusters on Horton

My friend flew this exact list in a tournament this weekend and won.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nice!

My thought was

Lothal - Hera, Han, FCS
Y-wing - TLT

but yeah that looks good too

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

lazerus06 posted:

Rey
Falcon Title(180 Turn)
Kanan
Finn
Smuggling Compartment
Inertial Dampners
Expertise
Throw vectored thrusters on Horton

My friend flew this exact list in a tournament this weekend and won.

I can see why. Horton with Expertise and TLT is actually quite scary on paper, and Vectored Thrusters... you can BR every turn and still get plenty of mods on your red dice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Y-Wing: · Kavil (24)
Expertise (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

G-1A Starfighter: · Zuckuss (28)
Expertise (4)
Advanced Sensors (3)
· Dengar (3)
· Mist Hunter (0)
Tractor Beam (1)

Z-95 Headhunter: · N'dru Suhlak (17)
Deadeye (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Scavenger Crane (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Seems OK.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I've just started getting back into this and was looking at a Zuckuss/Kavil combo, too:

Latts Razzi (33)
Bossk (2)
Targeting Coordinator (4)

Zuckuss (28)
Dengar (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Kavil (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

Total: 100

Was thinking of dropping the TC off Latts for Ketsu Onyo, and Vectored Thrusters on Kavil. That'd leave 1 for either VI somewhere else, a Tractor Beam on Latts, on or an initiative bid.

Keep in mind that I'm A Bad and don't really know what I'm doing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gonna be hard to use Targeting Coordinator without Energy anyway :v:

As well, if you're going to use Bossk, you need Gunner or some other way to get a second attack. His ability doesn't do you much good otherwise.

Edit: Maybe something like this? Take debris fields, try and get Zuckuss and Kavil to always fire through them, the boat hits hard after. No idea what you have in your collection though.

Y-Wing: · Kavil (24)
Trick Shot (0)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Vectored Thrusters (2)

G-1A Starfighter: · Zuckuss (28)
Trick Shot (0)
Collision Detector (0)
· Dengar (3)
· Mist Hunter (0)
Tractor Beam (1)

YV-666: Trandoshan Slaver (29)
Gunner (5)
· Bossk (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 16, 2017

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Whoops, I mean Weapons Engineer. My thought was to use the free TL Bossk gives (+1 for WE) to assist the other pilots with Latts' ability.

edit: More like this.

Latts Razzi (33)
Bossk (2)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Ketsu Onyo (1)

Zuckuss (28)
Dengar (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Kavil (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

edit2: Just saw your edit :v:
I like that. Don't have the TIE SF pack for CD but our group doesn't care about proxy anyway. I guess there's no real drawback to taking those other than losing VI on Kavil.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 16, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The problem with using crew Bossk as an activator for Weapons Engineer and Latts is that you potentially get a stress, get a focus that does you no good with one defense die, and you have to miss for it to happen. So your big 12 HP murderboat has to do no damage for the gimmick to work (unless you take a TL normally but then if you spend that you might hit and not get Bossk) and the opponent will ignore Latts to take out Zuckuss and Kavil fast.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Good point. How about this?:

Latts Razzi (33)
Tractor Beam (1)
4-LOM (1)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Ketsu Onyo (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)

Zuckuss (28)
Trick Shot (0)
Dengar (3)
Collision Detector (0)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Kavil (24)
Trick Shot (0)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

I like the idea of the Rigged Chute to further exploit the Trick Shot. Drop the TB and 4-LOM on Latts to give Kavil VT? I like the flexibility the former gives me but the latter opens up a lot for Kavil.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, Vectored on Kavil seems like a better deal. Latts will maneuver like a drunk slug and it will be hard to get someone in arc for the Tractor Beam unless the other ship is even slower.

I would almost consider replacing Ketsu with Greedo. He's normally a bad choice but in this list, whatever ship you're focusing on likely won't have an Evade or Focus leftover by the time Latts fires. Intelligence Agent is nice but you don't have much to take advantage of it. With Greedo you can at least sneak a crit through.

Edit: And with Weapons Engineer, take into consideration the enemy ships health. If you think you can blow a ship up outright with Kavil and Zuckuss, put your second Target Lock on a ship that Latts can hit, if there is a second in range. Spend the TL on Latts' ability for Zuckuss' shot and let Kavil modify his own. Try to avoid splitting fire with those two if you can help it. You can also TL two ships next to each other to make your opponent guess which one you're going to shoot.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 16, 2017

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Setting up the first game on my dedicated x wing table!

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

No obstacles, 0/10.

I wish I had a dedicated X-wing table.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Isn't it pretty hard to tell when exactly you're off the board with rounded edges like that?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

In my quest to bring you the worse homebrew I bring you the mother load.

My favourite bit so far is the creator really really loving hates pirates.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Really impressive that someone with such a poor grasp of writing could write that much

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why do the ARCs have double wide bases?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What the gently caress

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I briefly considered how boarding actions might work as a design space, coming, as I did, from Attack Wing, before discarding the idea as really exceptionally dumb in a game mostly about single-seat fighters or at most light patrol ships with a crew of like a half dozen.

"If focused [focus] count as [crit]." What even does that mean? "Focused" is not a game term.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:allears:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

oh God there's so many and they're so bad

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I briefly considered how boarding actions might work as a design space, coming, as I did, from Attack Wing, before discarding the idea as really exceptionally dumb in a game mostly about single-seat fighters or at most light patrol ships with a crew of like a half dozen.

"If focused [focus] count as [crit]." What even does that mean? "Focused" is not a game term.

I think he means spending a focus converts hit to crit

e: and yeah the weird obsession with bonuses vs pirates (there's only one 'pirate' in the base game) is hilarious

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 16, 2017

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

What the gently caress

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

And the Eta-2 is his favorite ship in all of star wars apparently.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Finster Dexter posted:

And the Eta-2 is his favorite ship in all of star wars apparently.

Depending on how you interpret the wording here, this could be an accidental act of balancing.

EDIT:

Have more blanks, you filthy pirate!

Friction fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 16, 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Friction posted:

Depending on how you interpret the wording here, this could be an accidental act of balancing.

lol yeah I wondered about that one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

What the gently caress

Prime candidate for Accuracy Corrector and TIE Mk 2. Take six of them, one without the engines.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

lol the new Dash Rendar

quote:

Except from Stealth, it has no number limit of MODIFICATION cards.

:perfect:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Dash Rendar (36)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Dead Man's Switch (2)
Dead Man's Switch (2)
Dead Man's Switch (2)
Dead Man's Switch (2)
Dead Man's Switch (2)
Dead Man's Switch (2)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Total: 50

e: you could also go with several APL or Ion Projectors. I like the notion that Dash has literally infinite smuggling compartments.

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

11 Shield Upgrades, or 14 Hull Upgrades and APL/Ion.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You might be able to pull something boarding-related with Conditions.

Have some kind of ordnance that applies a "We're not alone here" condition that gives some negative penalty.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

11 Shield Upgrades, or 14 Hull Upgrades and APL/Ion.

yeah hopefully none of those mods are from Stealth or there will be a number limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Engine upgrade, autothrusters, autothrusters, then fill it up with shields.

Boom.

• Locked thread