Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Phrosphor posted:

I feel like ttk is really really fast, sometimes making one mistake results in almost instant death. It means that nobody really wants to be the focus, so everyone sort of shuffles in and out of the line of fire and it doesn't feel very mechwarrior. I always thought that the job of assaults was to weather that focus fire so that the rest of their team can get a chance to shoot, but even the heaviest assaults get melted in seconds.

Basically I am not really having any fun, I was hoping for a lot more. Closed beta is still the best meta game.

Assaults need coordination to not die instantly in a push. Unless you're in a decent sized group, it can be a dice roll as to how well your team will react to a push led by you.

Also PGI needs to go back to 8 v 8s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Artificer posted:

Assaults need coordination to not die instantly in a push. Unless you're in a decent sized group, it can be a dice roll as to how well your team will react to a push led by you.

8v8 is the big one. That would do a ton to slow ttk

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Artificer posted:

At the rate the player base is shrinking they could go 6v6.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rincewind101 posted:

I'm not space-rich enough for either of those, though I'm curious - what makes the Night Gyr amazing?

I was eyeing the Cyclops CP-10-Q for all those missile slots - to fill with SSRMs.

Clan mechs are deceptively expensive because so much of that cost is front-loaded. Especially with the Kodiak and those 400XL engines that you probably won't even want one of.

The best IS assault right now is still the Battlemaster, specifically the one with the structure quirks. (This Battlemaster build is incredibly good and about as cheap as you can hope for with an assault.) The SRM Cyke is a gimmick version of brawler Atlases; it's funny, but it's not durable enough to really be good. The dakka Cyke hero is as good as the Mauler MX90 and better than the rest of the Maulers and all of the other IS dakka assaults (like the King Crab.)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

In anticipation of the skill tree changes, if I were to only buy 1 c-bill Night Gyr, which one do you guys think I should get? I don't think any of them has any useful quirks loaded to the CT, so I'm thinking the Night Gyr D with its unique energy CT hardpoint might be the one?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

In anticipation of the skill tree changes, if I were to only buy 1 c-bill Night Gyr, which one do you guys think I should get? I don't think any of them has any useful quirks loaded to the CT, so I'm thinking the Night Gyr D with its unique energy CT hardpoint might be the one?

Night Gyr quirks are tied to the 8-set of pods. So either the dakka Gyr or the Gyr D, depending on what you're planning to do.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Night Gyr quirks are tied to the 8-set of pods. So either the dakka Gyr or the Gyr D, depending on what you're planning to do.

I feel like the Dakka Gyr with the 3 ballistic left arm won't really make use of its set of 8 quirks enough, right? Since you can put, what, 2 uac/5s there? Seems like another situation where the set of 8 quirks are kind of irrelevant.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

I feel like the Dakka Gyr with the 3 ballistic left arm won't really make use of its set of 8 quirks enough, right? Since you can put, what, 2 uac/5s there? Seems like another situation where the set of 8 quirks are kind of irrelevant.

I meant the Night Gyr B. Running all B pods means you get -5% ballistic cooldown, at the cost of not being able to run an asymmetric build with the LA pod from the C. That said, if you want to change to a build using the C LA and give up those quirks, you can do that any time you want just by buying the pod.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The one with all the ballistic hardpoints (the D?) has some minor ballistic quirks.

Edit the B that's what I meant.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I wish they would try something like double armour values on the test server, just to see how it plays. I think it would change a lot of things, the laser vomit/mega dakka meta might change if you can't just core an assault with 1-2 volleys.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Didn't they already double armor values once?

Cyrano4747 posted:

The one with all the ballistic hardpoints (the D?) has some minor ballistic quirks.

Edit the B that's what I meant.

Ooh. I see. Yes. That could be useful. Hmmm. I do want to run dakka on my Night Gyr.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Artificer posted:

Didn't they already double armor values once?

From what I remember they doubled them from TT values, but they increased weapon damage far over that. Coupled with pinpoint accurate weapons over weapons hitting all over the place in TT the values are really skewed. I remember a big point of contention in closed beta was that people wanted a inaccurate reticule when moving and jumping, so that mechs had to be moving slowly or be stopped to get a pinpoint accurate shot. The idea was that this would mitigate some of the problems with the weapons doing so much damage and being so pinpoint.

I remember there was a player called Applejack in CB who ran a dual ac20 k2 who was Very good at headshotting everyone, especially hunchbacks. His behaviour sparked a lot of these conversations. All ignored by PGI of course.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah. I remember closed beta. Man those were some dark times.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Artificer posted:

Yeah. I remember closed beta. Man those were some dark times.

I think you mean rad times. The no engine cap super lunchback was the greatest mech ever.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Rape Stink posted:

I think you mean rad times. The no engine cap super lunchback was the greatest mech ever.

I remember when MPL awesomes were the goon meta.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

From what I remember they doubled them from TT values, but they increased weapon damage far over that.

TT armor was doubled, damage values were increased by a point or two at most, the real issue is that weapons aren't tied to 10-second cooldowns like they are in tabletop so you're able to get off far more than four times a weapon's damage value in a 10 second period of time.

When you then factor in the fact that the average 12v12 tabletop game is going to last right around 2 minutes and 30 seconds of in-universe combat (15 turns), it's sorta obvious why `Mechs making GBS threads out damage every 1.5 seconds has shortened TTK in MWO so much.

Or, to put it another way (and ignoring other factors like heat and actual cooldown times), a `Mech in MWO is able to dish out as much damage in 22.5 seconds as a `Mech in tabletop can dish out in 2.5 minutes

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 16, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, weapon cooldowns are actually pretty stupidly short. Especially compared to TT.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pinpoint damage just makes it all sillier. You see a LOT less arm/leg destruction in MWO compared to TT.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

pinpoint damage just makes it all sillier. You see a LOT less arm/leg destruction in MWO compared to TT.

It is also a part of the reason why LRMs are awful in MWO.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
When is that "skill tree" thing supposed to kick in again?

I keep hearing about it, but I have forgotten when IT IS (?!?) happening.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The February patch. In theory. PGI has some highly elastic timetables.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to do another WoL purge. We have almost 300 members in WoL, 200+ of which don't log in anymore. If I purge you by accident, let me know and it should be a lot cheaper to reinvite you.

Kerensky alts are going to get the boot as well because they take up space that can go to a newb who actually wants to play.

E:

I pruned us down to 84 members. Got rid of the Oldbirds and Truebirds whom are most likely never coming back and got rid of almost all the J4Gs I've never seen come on but a handful of times. I'm sure within a month we'll be back at around 200 as people angrily complain I booted them from WoL in a game they never play.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 16, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Q_res posted:

Yeah, weapon cooldowns are actually pretty stupidly short. Especially compared to TT.

The Energy Draw playtest included a global cooldown increase (+15% I think?). I hope that particular change survives and gets packed into the next major balance patch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When the Grand Re-Skillening happens this year I think I'm going to focus on my Urbie Hero.

If I can mount 3060 tech on it later then :awesome:

Skoll posted:

I'm going to do another WoL purge.

Ironically I logged on a day before you pruned me anyway. I wonder who else you got.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 16, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah the Dakka Night Gyr-B is enormously fun. What loadouts do you guys like for it? I'm currently running double UAC/10s and a LBX-10. 2 tons of ammo for the LBX and 5 tons of ammo for the UAC-10.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Yeah the Dakka Night Gyr-B is enormously fun. What loadouts do you guys like for it? I'm currently running double UAC/10s and a LBX-10. 2 tons of ammo for the LBX and 5 tons of ammo for the UAC-10.

I did quad UAC/5s and a shitload of ammo but any combo works.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

When the Grand Re-Skillening happens this year I think I'm going to focus on my Urbie Hero.

If I can mount 3060 tech on it later then :awesome:

Ironically I logged on a day before you pruned me anyway. I wonder who else you got.

I'll get you back if you want. I never see you in mumble so I assumed you just drop solo que.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

rincewind101 posted:

What's the ideal Assault these days? I mostly played Centurions exclusively way back when the goon presence was high. Is the Cyclops any good?

I recommend these:
Cyclops CP-10-Q, Battlemaster BLR-2C (with 5 large pulse lasers, not large lasers), MAD-IIC-SC (Scorch).

But to get the most out of these you need to elite them (true for most mechs) so you would need to buy 2 others. For the cyclops it's the CP-S and either CP-11-A or CP-11-P. For the Battlemasters it's BLR-3S and BLR-1G and for the MAD-IIC I would recommend the MAD-IIC and MAD-IIC-A.

Out of all these the Battlemasters will be the cheapest (no hero required) and also the easiest (least punishing) mechs to pilot, just poke with your LPLs and you got both arms to shield and twist with when fired upon. The Cyclops is really hard to use, especially the CP-10-Q, people will focus you down so you need good positioning, the 300m range limits you to brawling. The MAD-IIC is incredibly powerful and the chassis I recommend do ballistics (MAD-IIC-A), lasers (MAD-IIC) and LBX+SRM (MAD-IIC-SC) so there should be something there for everyone.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The best Assault is the AS7-S Splatlas and I will brook no argument.

It takes a lot of careful maneuvering and patience to get into the right spot but there is nothing as amazing or rewarding in this game as walking around a corner right into 4 half dead mechs while you are sill at 99% and then steamrolling them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

I'll get you back if you want. I never see you in mumble so I assumed you just drop solo que.

I got into the habit after too many evenings of seeing nobody active in mumble.

It's no big deal, not like CW is worth anything and we usually did invites via friend lists when I was more talky anyway.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Skoll posted:

I've been pruned! Right as I got interested in the game again, too. IGN was Savitry.

TjyvTompa posted:

Cyclops CP-10-Q

I have one of those, now! Should I be running 6 SRM6s with a comedy small laser? I've had the occasional bout of fun running into damaged foes and shooting off groups of 3 SRM6s into their busted sides.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

rincewind101 posted:

I've been pruned! Right as I got interested in the game again, too. IGN was Savitry.

I have one of those, now! Should I be running 6 SRM6s with a comedy small laser? I've had the occasional bout of fun running into damaged foes and shooting off groups of 3 SRM6s into their busted sides.

Don't put any lasers on this mech, it is built for SRM bombing: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=435&l=75293ba023e795bf6a9d3391b579b62574b1e315
You'll get some games where you can't do anything, the enemy (or your own team) refuses to engage and you will just sit there uselessly as the pick you apart from 500 meters but then you'll also have some 12-1400 damage games where you just wreck half the enemy team so don't get discouraged and start putting lasers on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skoll posted:

I'm going to do another WoL purge. We have almost 300 members in WoL, 200+ of which don't log in anymore. If I purge you by accident, let me know and it should be a lot cheaper to reinvite you.

Kerensky alts are going to get the boot as well because they take up space that can go to a newb who actually wants to play.

E:

I pruned us down to 84 members. Got rid of the Oldbirds and Truebirds whom are most likely never coming back and got rid of almost all the J4Gs I've never seen come on but a handful of times. I'm sure within a month we'll be back at around 200 as people angrily complain I booted them from WoL in a game they never play.

prepares to log in angrily

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Huntsman: Still a great medium, owns in canyon.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Skoll posted:

Yeah you accidentally booted me.

Also I think I'm just going to play lights from now on. I need to get an Urbie and load it out.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Turkina's also a possibility, but it's unlikely since it's never appeared in a game before (and it's basically a better Mad Cat Mk. II).

I know this is a couple pages back, but:

:goonsay:

MechCommander Gold had the cermak campaign.
The clans got the Turkina, ShadowCat, and NovaCat, while the IS got the Stiletto, Bushwacker, and Mauler as bonus mechs. This raised the total chassis to 24, over the original Port Arthur campaign's 18 chassis total.

But I guess this just means we might see it in HBSTech, rather than MWO, because Mitch and Jordan are there, while MWO has... :pgi:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Everyone I accidentally booted from WoL, send me a PM with your in-game name and a bribe and I'll get you resorted. Eventually. If we have the :10bux:.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skoll posted:

Everyone I accidentally booted from WoL, send me a PM with your in-game name and a bribe and I'll get you resorted. Eventually. If we have the :10bux:.

How much is it to invite people now?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

I recommend these:
Battlemaster BLR-2C (with 5 large pulse lasers, not large lasers)

It's super easy to convert back and forth between them, and the LL build is significantly cheaper and more durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cease to Hope posted:

It's super easy to convert back and forth between them, and the LL build is significantly cheaper and more durable.

Of course, but the LPL build is better.

• Locked thread