Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
The makers of the Lily Drone just announced they blew through most of the $34 million they raised and can't actually do a production run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sagacity posted:

The makers of the Lily Drone just announced they blew through most of the $34 million they raised and can't actually do a production run.

Note that was $34m in pre-orders but they also raised a further $14m from investors.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I realize products are expensive to bring to market but really now, what the gently caress did they even spend all that on?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hookers and blow

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What are the odds they're on the run?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paying themselves exorbitant salaries, the smart way to embezzle.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sagacity posted:

TechCrunch posted:

If that weren’t enough, court documents describe an email chain in which co-founder Antoine Balaresque worries that people will be able to tell certain video purported to be from a Lily was in fact shot on a GoPro. “I think we should be extremely careful if we decide to lie publicly,” the email attributed to Balaresque reads.

:allears:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How are there so many people interested in drones? Isn't there enough drones already?

Unrelated, but whatever's happened to the modular mobile phone people? I think they were on kickstarter.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Jan 13, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

How are there so many people interested in drones? Isn't there enough drones already?

Discretionary income, alone, wants to spy on girls

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

ddiddles posted:

That product will probably never come out, but the idea is cool.

Tactile feedback in xbox and ps4 controllers is one thing that PC gaming would get a benefit from.

I'm going to go kick my own rear end for typing that sentence.

this product came out in the bloody 90es... Force feedback mice was a thing. There's a reason it didn't catch on outside of haptic feedback mice for vision impaired people.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Unrelated, but whatever's happened to the modular mobile phone people? I think they were on kickstarter.
Motorola came out with a modular-ish phone recently, the Moto Z. It has a connector on the back and you can slap on different backpacks, like a battery, camera, speaker or projector.

It's just as stupid as it sounds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paladinus posted:

Well basically the prototypes for phones like that turned out to be hideously fragile in normal use, especially compared to a normal-rear end phone. Drop it on the table or maybe even stick it in your pocket, and bits fly or fall off. Let alone dropping it all the way to the floor or something like that.

And when they're not falling to pieces, they're abnormally chunky and heavy because you need a bunch of extra space and material to protect the various bits.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, at least they've produced some semblance of the product instead of just running away with the money, I guess.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I believe you're talking about Project Ara, which was Google's version of Phonebloks, which was cancelled in September. It was developed at Motorola when it was part of Google, which might be where their new modular phone deal comes from.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zera-food-recycler-recycling--2#/

I'm not even going to claim this product doesn't work, but holy hell even if it does are the economics screwed up:

$1000 for a device which not only requires proprietary 'additive packs' and HEPA filters to operate, but also 24 hours of electricity to produce probably <$1 of fertilizer

Note both the flexible funding AND the '2' on the end of the URL which aren't exactly positive signs

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Serak posted:

I'm not even going to claim this product doesn't work, but holy hell even if it does are the economics screwed up:

$1000 for a device which not only requires proprietary 'additive packs' and HEPA filters to operate, but also 24 hours of electricity to produce probably <$1 of fertilizer

Note both the flexible funding AND the '2' on the end of the URL which aren't exactly positive signs

See, this is something with potential at least. Get rid of the additive, make it so you can keep it outdoors, and it'd be nice for gardening and reducing waste. I'm pretty sure those filters and additive packages will make up for the food redirected though.

The benefit over regular compost heaps would be smaller size and maintenance. My parents had a heap when I was growing up and it was 2x4 in the back yard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

See, this is something with potential at least. Get rid of the additive, make it so you can keep it outdoors, and it'd be nice for gardening and reducing waste. I'm pretty sure those filters and additive packages will make up for the food redirected though.

As will the energy cost. You've got an electric heater, and mixer motors. The economics absolutely do not work, and landfill space is not actually a scarce commodity. This is like solar roadways: might be a great way to capitalize on economic/thermodynamic ignorance and social signaling, but actually does not do anything useful.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The benefit over regular compost heaps would be smaller size and maintenance. My parents had a heap when I was growing up and it was 2x4 in the back yard.

They already make little compost buckets you can keep in your kitchen, and larger ones that you can stick out on the porch or whatever - my grandma's had them for like 30 years. This product's basically just those except you pour in some fertilizer first so it's ready faster.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The venture capitalists and techies were so caught up with the "how" of making a wifi trash can with mobile app-enabled controls and proprietary fertilizer packets, that they never stopped to consider if they should even be doing so in the first place.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Wi-Fi Trash Can would be a good username

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

web 2.0 guy fieri

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Serak posted:

Hahahahahaha says the first ones will be shipped in may of this year!

Yeah, that will not happen.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Crocoswine posted:

Wi-Fi Trash Can would be a good username

you would, of course, be foolish to assume that this is not already a stupid failed thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brunosmartcan/trash-can-vacuum-bruno-the-worlds-first-smartcan/description

Estimated delivery date October 2015
Last Project Update: December 2016, Still developing prototypes

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

fishmech posted:

They already make little compost buckets you can keep in your kitchen, and larger ones that you can stick out on the porch or whatever - my grandma's had them for like 30 years. This product's basically just those except you pour in some fertilizer first so it's ready faster.

Neat. I've always lived in apartments, so no real ability to garden to the point compost would be useful. If I get a garden, I'll look more in to it

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

So is whirlpool involved at all? Or did they just flash the whirlpool branding to make it seem legit?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

C.M. Kruger posted:

The venture capitalists and techies were so caught up with the "how" of making a wifi trash can with mobile app-enabled controls and proprietary fertilizer packets, that they never stopped to consider if they should even be doing so in the first place.

Did they get VC funding? I'd love to know who wrote that cheque.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Serak posted:

Also note a better version exists for 60 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/SCD-Probiotics-K100-Composter-Tan/dp/B003ANMBKQ

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

is not wifi enabled therefore completely useless to me

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Serak posted:

Do any of the people in this thread have something in their house on WiFi? I mean Internet Of Things stuff, like a kettle or something.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serak posted:

I get enough trash emails already

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

Do any of the people in this thread have something in their house on WiFi? I mean Internet Of Things stuff, like a kettle or something.
A chromecast is probably the closest thing to an IoT device I own.

If I ever got whacked in the head and bought a wifi enabled lightbulb or whatever I'd just put it on a separate wifi that's not connected to the internet.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Non Serviam posted:

I have a weather station because I'm childish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I considered buying a wifi‐controlled outlet, but then decided that was a dumb idea.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'd really like a wifi outlet hooked up to the block heater on my car. It's a good idea to heat it up before you go out when it's <-20C, but our schedules are so weird lately that a simple timer doesn't cut it. It'd also be nice to just have it click on on its own when it gets absurdly cold so the oil doesn't freeze or something ridiculous.

But, any temperature cold enough to gently caress with my car is for sure outside the operating temps of a wifi switch so, v0v

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tuyop posted:

I'd really like a wifi outlet hooked up to the block heater on my car. It's a good idea to heat it up before you go out when it's <-20C, but our schedules are so weird lately that a simple timer doesn't cut it. It'd also be nice to just have it click on on its own when it gets absurdly cold so the oil doesn't freeze or something ridiculous.

But, any temperature cold enough to gently caress with my car is for sure outside the operating temps of a wifi switch so, v0v

Well duh, just get a wifi switch with a heater hooked up to the wifi switch with the heater.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well duh, just get a wifi switch with a heater hooked up to the wifi switch with the heater.

I'll give you $200 for your idea. All you have to do is tell me it's disrupting the market and made by hand by authentic American artisans

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

The closest thing I have to an Internet of Things device is a wifi printer and it's enough to tell me that having a network-connected device without a dedicated screen and control interface is a real pain in the rear end when it screws up or your network changes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I could see a WiFi kettle being nice, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 on top of regular kettle price for it - I could send it an email and be all like "hey kettle heat 500 ml of water at 83 C" and it'd be like "kay" and then a few minutes later it'd be like "ready."

I'd use that. And I'd pay $30 for it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I could see a WiFi kettle being nice, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 on top of regular kettle price for it - I could send it an email and be all like "hey kettle heat 500 ml of water at 83 C" and it'd be like "kay" and then a few minutes later it'd be like "ready."

I'd use that. And I'd pay $30 for it.

That sounds pretty adorable actually. I don't talk to most of my appliances so I dunno how to start a conversation with them

I mean unless they're not working and I yell and kick them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actively avoid IoT things.