Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

i also choose to believe Barry's second form exists purely to mock SSJ4

this is exactly what i thought watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone post a screen grab of it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Agoat posted:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
That is amazing ahaha

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Agoat posted:

EDIT: Beaten, but that other picture doesn't show the fact that it also made him go bald.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Yup, definitely aping SSJ4.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
aping

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhonne posted:

EDIT: Beaten, but that other picture doesn't show the fact that it also made him go bald.

I choose to believe this is what a human transformation would always look like, and such is why the human characters will never be able to keep up with the saiyans: to spare them the indignity.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

In It For The Tank posted:

Yup, definitely aping SSJ4.

What is this monkey business

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cabbit posted:

I choose to believe this is what a human transformation would always look like, and such is why the human characters will never be able to keep up with the saiyans: to spare them the indignity.

Well at least Krillin and Tien wouldn't have to worry about the part where it makes you go bald

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The whole thing was a nod to corny giant monster films so it could also be a nod to King Kong, then he turns into the usual giant lizard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Manatee Cannon posted:

o yea if you include filler, gohan's been blackmailed like 3 times now hasn't he

And bizarrely never by Eighteen.

a cartoon duck posted:

i also choose to believe Barry's second form exists purely to mock SSJ4

I don't know about mock but I did think that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BizarroAzrael posted:

And bizarrely never by Eighteen.

That would require money for 18 to extort which he doesn't have

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He married into the second wealthiest family on earth?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
He got that sweet Videl money now.

I really don't know why anyone would be surprised with Gohan's character in super even if it is kinda lame he got so weak. He's got a rich, awesome wife who clearly loves him unconditionally. He's gonna chill at home with his wife, kid and green dad.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Plus she wants to get nasty in the Saiyaman costume. What more could Gohan want?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is Videl dressing up as Saiyawoman canon, or was that just in one of the movies?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Is Videl dressing up as Saiyawoman canon, or was that just in one of the movies?

the final episode of the Buu Saga (287) and Wrath of the Dragon. idk if its in the manga.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Kild posted:

the final episode of the Buu Saga (287) and Wrath of the Dragon. idk if its in the manga.

It wasn't in the manga.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Rutibex posted:

Well that just got a whole new context added onto that filler.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rhonne posted:

Its also making fun of Bald Satan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kithkar posted:

Well that just got a whole new context added onto that filler.

Don't kinkshame.

(Also don't ask what the Xenoverse quest about Gohan looking for Saiyaman V3 means.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone no-sold drama like Videl just did in any Western stories? I'm actually struggling to think of any.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Has anyone no-sold drama like Videl just did in any Western stories? I'm actually struggling to think of any.

Iris West in The Flash when she found out her dad lied to her about her mom being alive and she had a secret brother.

I'm pretty sure they did the same thing on Grey's but it's been 13 seasons so I can't remember.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't have any examples but I can assure you that the answer is yes

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Imagine if Chi-Chi found Goku-sa kissing an idol. So many layers to that response.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
videl fuckin owns

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

eonwe posted:

videl fuckin owns
Came here to post this.

All the Videl scenes loving owned. What the gently caress is with DBS' writing actually being so good?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its not

source: the black goku arc

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

its not

source: my rear end

FTFY

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I rate my dragonball on whether I personally am enjoying the ride and also on whether sufficiently dragon ball type things are happening and I am pleased to say Dragon Ball Super has enjoyed a 10/10 rating from me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

All the Videl scenes loving owned. What the gently caress is with DBS' writing actually being so good?
I think its because Super focuses on character interactions as much as time travel silliness or whatever plot shenanigans the current arc is about.

Its the kind of stuff that the Super manga doesn't really do quite as much- like there's no sequence in the manga that I recall where Trunks stops and thinks about the difference between the raging warrior Gohan that fought Cell and the goofy Gohan the doting father and husband, and jumps from that to imagining having his own Ozu-esque quiet homelife with his mother and Mai.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 18, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonball Super, more or less, is payoff for literally decades of Dragonball. It focuses on the characters and interactions in a way that only really works because these characters have been around so long and been such a focus and it's written to give payoff and satisfaction to people's desires. It doesn't always succeed but more or less it's interested in focusing on the characters more than anything. It also tends to evoke Dragonball as much as Dragonball Z and while it is the less-respected brother in that relationship Dragonball was actually a really solid and defining franchise even before DBZ and there is a reason for that.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
So I just caught part of a db episode where Tien, Krillin, Yamcha and Chaoutzu fight an erupting Volcano.

I read the entire manga but didnt really watch the db anime past halfway the red ribbon arc. What other cooky filler did I miss out on

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goku and Chichi's crazy honeymoon and a bunch of boring padding in the snow village if I recall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's one where Goku and Android 8 go and find the guy that created him to get the bomb removed from his body.

And before you ask, no, it ends up not being Dr. Gero.

EDIT: Also in the anime Tien and Ciaotzu are con-artists and Tien actually fights Goku once before the 22nd Tournament.

I think my favorite filler though is where Goku goes to some random cave that is implied to be Hell and does some nonsense with a magic sword.

EDIT 2: Imagine if all of these were the same episode.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 18, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Was Goku meeting Grandpa Gohan in the afterlife a filler thing?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Pretty sure they met in the living realm during Gohan's one day and it wasn't filler it was the final round of Baba's challenge

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I think my favorite filler though is where Goku goes to some random cave that is implied to be Hell and does some nonsense with a magic sword.

There is some kind of "demon realm" somewhere that the cave in that episode presumably went? Dabura is from there I think. I don't think you actually get to ever see the "demon realm", but I guess it could be HFIL from the filler stuff. Dragonball is getting a lot of dimensions! I just kind of assume it works like D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

the culminator posted:

I read the entire manga but didnt really watch the db anime past halfway the red ribbon arc. What other cooky filler did I miss out on

Training arc with several self-contained episodes before the 22nd World Tournament, also Tien and Chiaotzu showing up earlier.

22nd World Tournament itself is considered better in the anime because it inserts plenty of character interactions moments instead of having almost everyone spend most of the tournament with Yamcha in the hospital. Also Launch rescues Goku from Pamputto's manager who kidnaps him (by tricking him) because he knows Goku is going to kick his rear end.

Goku fights through a cave of illusions instead of getting the ultra divine water for free during the King Piccolo arc.

We get several episodes of Goku's training with Kami, including one where he travels to the past and meets Mutaito, young Roshi and young Shen. We get to see some of Krillin's, Tien's, Yamcha's and Chiaotzu's training (which is where that volcano episode is from).

Goku's and Chichi's crazy honeymoon arc, in which they must rescue Ox King from his castle by looking for a way to put out the mountain's fire (that's leaking from hell) for good.

• Locked thread