Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

This is actually a funny as hell post and cymelion should get more love for it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ramadu posted:

This is actually a funny as hell post and cymelion should get more love for it lmao

Except I read the same thing as he obviously did on reddit yesterday where it describes exactly what he is doing. SAD

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/814088235529990144
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/820823319956123648

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sillybones posted:

Isn't Elite like that? You run out of fuel or something and your only options are suicide or someone brings you some mana.

It also puts you on somewhat of a timer, because once you run out of fuel your powerplant shuts down and you have at most 25 minutes of air.

Though you can avoid most of that by logging off until the person coming to your rescue enters the system you are in.

Shadowlyger posted:

Having to pay for a replacement for your ship. Hence the typical advice of "never fly anything you can't afford to replace".

I don't think the cost is equal to what you actually paid for the ship, but it's a pretty good percentage of it. If you can't afford that, you'd probably be better off getting in contact with the Fuel Rats.

It's 5% of the value of your ship + all installed equipment.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 16, 2017

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

That's really bizarre. What's the penalty for death in that game?

Having to pay for a replacement for your ship. Hence the typical advice of "never fly anything you can't afford to replace".

I don't think the cost is equal to what you actually paid for the ship, but it's a pretty good percentage of it. If you can't afford that, you'd probably be better off getting in contact with the Fuel Rats.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ramadu posted:

It's both intentionally funny where he's not talking about Star Citizen and then unintentionally funny where he says one shouldn't rely on a single source who doesn't give out information on key features or says things that don't end up happening and asks how would anybody ever trust that person without an internal bias but doesn't realise he's talking about Chris Roberts.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

That's really bizarre. What's the penalty for death in that game?

A rebuy, if you don't have enough for a rebuy, % of value of ship, then you get an automatic loan which substitutes for the rebuy.

If you're already on a "loan", and neither have the credits for a rebuy, then tough luck. You lose everything and start all over again, but you retain your rep with the factions, rank etc, like a New Game+.

e: This is if you died, and you don't have another ship. TLDR: Don't fly without rebuy.

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy
tane

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

You saw the Reddit screenie I posted, right? The one about the person saying they would ignore Derek when "there was more stuff to do" in game? Tell me people like that are going to recognize the game is boring. And, even if they do, there's always the Germans.

EDIT: If not, here it is...

Yes, I saw it. :)

I'm not expecting real closure, it'd be nice though.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Michael Nolen AGAIN

Speaking of sad...

Ramadu posted:

Not really, it's quite sad the lengths he'll go for a smug win on the internet. It's become quite obvious to many other Citizens and he's getting a lot less love for it. Even they can see the unconscious hypocrisy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sillybones posted:

Just playing devils advocate, but SC could be just like that.

Also I saw the metrics of that fuel rescue people on reddit. People seem to gently caress up and be a noob all the drat time. And that is just the ones they went to go save.

This is something I have been thinking about more and more lately. They want it to be this big freeform open world thing. These people would quickly learn that if you are sort of a doormat in real life, you will continue to be a doormat in this fantasy land too. They are honestly the sort of person who should stick to single player RPG's.

In any event though, I doubt it will ever mature enough to break out of its current arena type level design; or the tiny player count. These complex mechanics they've come up with on the fly won't be an issue. Bigger issues will be stuff like trading I guess, which is kind of important, and figuring out their economy. Also finally putting a fake money price on ships and junk people paid real money for. If they ever dare to go there.

I don't think a 3 hour passenger liner ride back to your home base because you ejected and got rescued will be a thing to worry about this decade.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Nah. He still wants to have his argument before trying to be funny about it. It would be more clever if he just didn't reply to every bait attempt.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Lmao, this freaking game......... cripes! :doh:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

no_recall posted:

A rebuy, if you don't have enough for a rebuy, % of value of ship, then you get an automatic loan which substitutes for the rebuy.

If you're already on a "loan", and neither have the credits for a rebuy, then tough luck. You lose everything and start all over again, but you retain your rep with the factions, rank etc, like a New Game+.

e: This is if you died, and you don't have another ship. TLDR: Don't fly without rebuy.

More of a Death of a Spaceman mechanic than Star Citizen will ever see. If only E:D had more golf swing--it just might be the game Citizens have been wanting...

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

boviscopophobic posted:

This post was supposed to go in the Theoretical Cetology thread, but it's closed for "archiving", whatever that means. You can check there for the previous forum snapshot/demographic estimate that I refer to below.

JAN 2017 RSI DEMOGRAPHICS UPDATE

About 6 months and $25M have elapsed since the previous demographic snapshot of the RSI forum population. Updated funding-related statistics are summarized below. The methodology is mostly the same as in my previous post, so you can refer to that for details as well as an explanation of the meaning of each graph.

First off, the forum account vs RSI account rate discrepancy has stabilized at about 3.5, meaning that 3.5 RSI accounts are currently being created for every forum account. This ratio obviously spikes during free fly events.

For the funding-related graphs, the basic funding assumptions remain the same as last time, but there are three updates to the methodology. The first relates to closed accounts. Thanks to the wave of refunds post-Streetroller, I learned that is possible to determine with reasonable confidence if an RSI account has been closed, which generally indicates revocation due to refunds or possibly other misbehavior such as hacking. This latest set of summary graphs includes only accounts that were "alive" at the time of the snapshot. The previous set of graphs included a certain number of "dead" accounts, which affected the accuracy of the title counts.

The second change is that I've aggregated all titles not associated with a funding level into an "OTHER" title, except for a small set of user titles that I deemed to be CIG-related. These titles, namely "Staff", "Developer", "Creator", "QA", and "Game Master", are assigned the aggregate title of "CIG". Some other user titles that are arguably CIG-related, but which I did NOT include in the CIG set, are "Bug Moderator" and "Moderator". Note that some developer accounts may mark themselves as such as such only by their account name; these would not be included in the CIG count.

Finally, to counteract title churn from people changing their title, I look at each account's titles over a number of forum snapshots and use the one that implies the highest funding level. Since user titles can be "understated" but not "overstated", so to speak, this should be a reasonable procedure if user funding levels are non-decreasing. Thankfully, since CIG almost never grants partial refunds, an assumption of non-decreasing funding levels should not introduce too much additional error. (Note: if no funding-related titles are available, then CIG-related titles are prioritized over "OTHER" titles.)

The contribution of concierge-level backers (High Admiral and up) has slightly increased -- 56.4% under the mid funding scenario, versus 53.6% last time. If we compare the graph of estimated average user spending by quarter of enlistment with the previous version, we get the following average per-user increases:

This indicates that accounts of all "ages" are continuing to put money into Star Citizen, possibly more so for pre-2014 accounts. However, note that an increase of $10-15 or so is a small fraction of the likely average transaction amount -- recall that this period includes Gamescom, Citizencon, the anniversary livestream, and the holiday sale, which featured pricy concept ships, cash-only sales, capital ship sales, etc. Depending on what you think the average transaction amount is (which I have not attempted to estimate), you could translate this into an estimate of the size of the current paying backer population.

Another longitudinal view of the backer population can be obtained by constructing contingency tables at various time snapshots. For example, the following is a comparison of highest user titles achieved through early August 2016, versus early January 2017. Because of how highest titles are computed, this table contains some unknown fraction of users "leveling up" through spending, and some users simply adjusting previously understated titles upward. I believe that the dominant contribution is leveling up, especially when looking at movement between the higher tiers, but I have not attempted to quantify this.

Note that we have two new pseudo-titles: "DEAD", indicating that the account died off (refunds etc.) between Aug 2016 and Jan 2017, and "UNBORN", indicating that the account was made between Aug 2016 and Jan 2017. So for instance, we can see that of 92 completionists as of Aug 2016, 1 of those accounts got a refund. Of 193 wing commanders as of Aug 2016, 31 were promoted to completionist and 2 got a refund, etc. Notably, 22 CIG accounts "got a refund", which most likely means they left the company.

As a rough measure of the propensity of backer subpopulations to level up, we can construct a matrix of outflow percentages. In this table, the number in a particular row/column indicates the percentage of the population with that row's title that advanced to get the corresponding column's title. So for instance, 16.06% of all Wing Commanders in August became Completionists by January. Similarly, 0.37% of Civilians became Freelancers/Colonels, etc. The hottest cells consist of concierge backers (High Admiral and up) moving up one or two levels, and CIG accounts moving to the exits.

If we are interested in inferring refunds specifically, then we need to look at pairs of snapshots that are closer together in time. Otherwise we can miss salient developments -- for instance, if a Civilian in August became a Wing Commander in November then got a refund in December, it would only show up as a Civilian refund in the above table. Using a set of several snapshots I derived the following counts for account deaths per highest title. I also noticed a large number of newly established Civilian accounts showing up as dead. To exclude possible low-effort banhammered trolls from the refund counts, I only counted Civilian accounts if they were confirmed as being alive for at least 45 days in at least one historical snapshot.

• Completionist: 5
  • Wing Commander: 4
  • Space Marshal/Lieutenant Commander: 19
  • Grand Admiral: 27
  • High Admiral: 70
  • Vice Admiral: 47
  • Rear Admiral: 58
  • Freelancer/Colonel: 116
  • Bounty Hunter: 67
  • Mercenary: 61
  • Scout: 32
  • Civilian: 448
  • CIG: 26
  • OTHER: 74

Since this is a small and very much non-random sample, the likely accuracy of the funding scenario assumptions (already not that good) is probably far worse for refunded accounts. On the one hand, Civilians are assumed to have a low average contribution partly due to the proliferation of free accounts; however, a refunded account would obviously not be a free account. On the other, high-value accounts may not be refunded for anywhere near their nominal value, due to grey market transactions.

If we go ahead and apply the min/mid/max funding assumptions anyway, we get refund totals of $407,420, $674,587.50, and $941,755, respectively. For another estimate, also problematic, we can consider the self-reported refund amounts from /r/starcitizen_refunds. From reading through the posts that stated actual refund amounts, I arrived at an average per-user refund of $1366.10. Applying this to the 1028 non-CIG refundees, we would get a total of $1,404,350.80. These estimates are of course only for the refunded forum population. The multiplier to get the total amount of refunds in the entire RSI population would likely be well less than 2.5, which is the ratio of all RSI accounts to all forum accounts.

CONCLUSIONS

All previous caveats about the accuracy of these estimates still apply. In addition, there are particular problems with trying to estimate refund amounts. Nevertheless, I think we can conclude that the refund outflows, while CIG certainly would find them annoying, are probably small enough in total that they can be easily compensated for with an extra concept sale (if we don't account for increases in engineering debt).

There are indications that funding is leaning even more heavily on concierge-level backers; this might be a good topic for follow-up analyses. Account age does not appear to play a large role in incremental spending.

Previously I speculated about a soft per-user average spending ceiling around $200. This now seems to be more of an artifact of the bounded time window the backer populations have had to spend their money in. As that time window lengthens, fresh spending continues apace and it remains to be seen when there will be a large-scale change in backer purchasing behavior.

same

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boviscopophobic posted:

CONCLUSIONS

All previous caveats about the accuracy of these estimates still apply. In addition, there are particular problems with trying to estimate refund amounts. Nevertheless, I think we can conclude that the refund outflows, while CIG certainly would find them annoying, are probably small enough in total that they can be easily compensated for with an extra concept sale (if we don't account for increases in engineering debt).

There are indications that funding is leaning even more heavily on concierge-level backers; this might be a good topic for follow-up analyses. Account age does not appear to play a large role in incremental spending.

Previously I speculated about a soft per-user average spending ceiling around $200. This now seems to be more of an artifact of the bounded time window the backer populations have had to spend their money in. As that time window lengthens, fresh spending continues apace and it remains to be seen when there will be a large-scale change in backer purchasing behavior.

This is really interesting, thanks for posting it. Average spend per user is particularly interesting, although I guess the statistics are very diluted by free fly events.

Here's a question: when free fly events are over, do you reduce the number of active CIG accounts based on the fact that those users can no longer access their accounts (unless they later chose to buy?) It would be interesting to see how many conversions they get from these events or if they majority of activity are from people who decide that the game is trash.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Wizard Master posted:

Lmao, this freaking game......... cripes! :doh:

It's poo poo.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, like that's not going to be exploited by griefers. Didn't these idiots at RSI want to implement permadeath?

The respawn function? Oh yeah, we call that Life Time Insurance, and it costs money on top of what you've paid for the game. :)

edit: and that's per each individual ship :twisted:

e2: and as Titanic said- the respawn will take hours even though it doesn't have to. why would anyone play that?

I have a sneaking suspicion this game was never intended for release and now we'll get blamed for it

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 16, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

That's also an underlying hilarious concept. That even if SC comes out exactly as pitched it'd be a hideously unfun game.

Like above, you just spent $60 for TBDDSE and you undock and you're blown up and crash on the nearby planet. Now you're stuck on this planet playing poo poo-tier Minecraft for the next 20 hours while managing food and water levels.

Or you finally get enough to buy a ship and it takes 3 real life weeks before enough materials are delivered to build your ship.

Or you get blown up in a glitch, and have to take a space liner back to your home base to get your ship, and that takes hours to do. Even better if along the way another player blows up your liner, and you get helplessly killed while cussing in frustration.

It's like the immersion animations. Sure it's cool two or three times, but after that if it takes longer than 1 second you're mashing the button to skip them.

None of the above sound fun, but that's what Star Citizen is trying to be. In a world where people get pissed if loading a save game takes too long, or getting back into the action takes too many button clicks and screens, or if the last auto save checkpoint was too far back.

Even the dream of Star Citizen is kinda crappy. People overlook it because everybody thinks they'll be Han Solo and never be dumb enough to be killed. They think they're going to play the heroic savior or kind benefactor or impossible to stop pirate, while avoiding these huge pitfalls. There is cognitive dissonance between looking at what CIG is implying and saying "and what will this be like to actually play?" and since nobody seems to stop dreaming about the impossible long enough, thinking the AIs will be anything more than walking on a track and doing canned animations every few steps, everybody seems to overlook that the game just sounds not fun to play. It sounds punishing. Which might be good for a Pay2Win game though. Suffer on a planet for 10 hours or pay $5 for a miraculous rescue taxi!

I hope that before everything crashes and burns, Chris Roberts gets a real vertical slice working. And people play it, and tell him it's not a fun game. I just hope that the twinkle of "I am saving pc games" can be stifled in Chris' over paid eyes before he gets shut down. I don't want him to go out with a "Well we tried real hard but..." kind of thing. I want him to know that his dream was poo poo, and even people who were excited for it tells him it's boring.

That closure may never happen, but it'd be good if it did. :)

:same:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The Titanic posted:

That's also an underlying hilarious concept. That even if SC comes out exactly as pitched it'd be a hideously unfun game.

You only have to look at every "sim" game, they gamify so much of the boring tedious poo poo that even the most hardcore fans don't care about.

If euro/American truck sim was a 1:1 real world scale, anyone that liked the idea of driving trucks for 12 hours a day would just get a job doing it.

Yes there are YouTube videos of people who do 14 hour real time Syd->LA flights in FSX, but the vast majority of people just pick a military jet or Air Force One and dick around doing loops and dumb poo poo.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

yeah like

lol

Well... just code it! The idea was the hard part, jeez!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

yeah like

lol

I'd probably break my wrists

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rudager posted:

Yes there are YouTube videos of people who do 14 hour real time Syd->LA flights in FSX, but the vast majority of people just pick a military jet or Air Force One and dick around doing loops and dumb poo poo.

Don't forget the people who just want to play air traffic controller 24/7

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

My take is cause they're aids that run jokes into the ground cant let go of bad ones and rarely put any effort, and try to be shocking with poo poo thats deader than bowie.

Ermm i mean, doxxing is bad please do not do it.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Galarox posted:

Done, imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/UE3dc

brilliant.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Truth be told that was the first ArfJason post here I enjoyed :v

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

I like TISM! Is that wrong?

always like the bunny video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnAa7rqtBM

intardnation fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

This...this is fine.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Galarox posted:

Done, imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/UE3dc

:eng101:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

no_recall posted:

Yes it is, and its a game mechanic cause its mainly your fault for
1) not looking at the star type you're dropping out with
2) didn't bring a fuel scoop
3) being a noob.

Also the parpcorn lately is delicious. Keep it up, thread.

Seriously. Every game has negative consequences if you mess up and don't do your homework. This is a not a new concept.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Seriously. Every game has negative consequences if you mess up and don't do your homework. This is a not a new concept.

The stronger the negative consequences the greater effect of griefing. But SC fans are mostly care bears who can't even handle dissenting opinion. These two facts are incompatible. Thus SC, even if delivered as promised,is hosed.

Even elite had to create the solo play mode so the Care Bears could be space truckers in peace.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Eldragon posted:

The stronger the negative consequences the greater effect of griefing. But SC fans are mostly care bears who can't even handle dissenting opinion. These two facts are incompatible. Thus SC, even if delivered as promised,is hosed.

Even elite had to create the solo play mode so the Care Bears could be space truckers in peace.

best part of that is that there's been solo players that complained about getting griefed by the goon faction's npcs, not making this poo poo up

there's something about this genre that fucks up people's brains

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Was this made with google translate? I need to know because of a joke in the buttcoin thread.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Good Dumplings posted:

there's something about this genre that attracts hosed up people

FTFY

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Eldragon posted:

Nah, combat logging is much more fun than solo.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

These people deserve everything they get

Yep. And CIG deserves the type of community they're ending up with as well.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

no_recall posted:

Yes it is, and its a game mechanic cause its mainly your fault for
1) not looking at the star type you're dropping out with
2) didn't bring a fuel scoop
3) being a noob.

Also the parpcorn lately is delicious. Keep it up, thread.

Not to mention actually giving rise to a branch of gameplay, refueling "angels". Have a feeling that was true emergent gameplay that the devs may not have expected.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slow_Moe posted:

Was this made with google translate? I need to know because of a joke in the buttcoin thread.

I was inspired by it. I wonder what the overlap is between Smarties and Buttcoiners, at least as big as the one between Whales and Bitcoiners I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I was inspired by it. I wonder what the overlap is between Smarties and Buttcoiners, at least as big as the one between Whales and Bitcoiners I suspect.

I suspect there is some correlation. After all, a movement of idiots will attract a movement of people willing to laugh at their idiocy.

This is good for star citizen because

edit: here is my tax you snowflakes.

Slow_Moe fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 16, 2017