Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Diamonds are one of, if not the, hardest metals known the man.

Someone explain this meme to me so I can figure something else out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Someone explain this meme to me so I can figure something else out today.

Yeah, I'm not getting it either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think its just a shitpost, friends

the instead of to is probably autocorrect, metal is the shitpost part. everyone knows diamonds are a noble gas

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's a really really old meme copy pasted from a game faqs post. It's probably well over a decade old at this point

I actually couldn't find the full text of the original post with a quick Google search but someone might be able to, I'm on mobile right now or I'd do a deeper dive.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Here you go http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/diamond-the-hardest-metal

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

i think its just a shitpost, friends

the instead of to is probably autocorrect, metal is the shitpost part. everyone knows diamonds are a noble gas

Yeah, the hardest noble gas. Ever been hit with a cloud of diamond? Totaled my truck once when that happened.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've had hard noble gas before but I'm on those probiotics now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Huh, a decade old meme that I missed. That's strangely comforting.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Croissant, being a French crescent of bread, is probably French for crescent.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AlphaKretin posted:

I just looked it up and it is! which surprised me, I thought it meant "crossed" (or knotted like Scandinavian "kringle" = pretzel)

I was gonna own you badly for a second

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Dec 31, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a franchise of hipster haircut places in my area called "Bishops". Their main competitor is called "Rooks".

I'm gonna start one called "The Castle Maneuver".

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

hairy queen

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Tarp (the big waterproof thing you put over stuff) is short for tarpaulin. Just learned this from a Hollyweed article.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

fullroundaction posted:

Tarp (the big waterproof thing you put over stuff) is short for tarpaulin. Just learned this from a Hollyweed article.

while this is true, I don't think I've seen a single American source use the full word in at least fifty years.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

while this is true, I don't think I've seen a single American source use the full word in at least fifty years.

Dilbert did in the early '90s, confused the heck outta me.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
The 7-Eleven logo is in the shape of a numeral 7 with crossbar.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

stubblyhead posted:

The 7-Eleven logo is in the shape of a numeral 7 with crossbar.
The N in the logo is the only letter thats lowercase. :eng101:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It was named by its founder after an incident from his childhood, where he was kidnapped and raised as a girl between the ages of seven and eleven. Incidentally the perpetrator was never caught!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Camels are originally native to North America. Would have been, like, my fourth guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Camels are originally native to North America. Would have been, like, my fourth guess.

Not for any meaningful definition of "originally native" or "North America" though.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I forgot that Pangaea was still together 2 million years ago.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
But it's not like camels were native to the North American section of Pangaea and then wandered over to the Middle Eastern section of Pangaea -- by the time camels existed Pangaea no longer existed, although the continents weren't in their modern locations either. Camels ended up in their current location by migrating across the Bering Strait into Eurasia, in a reverse of how humans crossed over into North America.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Like, I couldn't even find the new world on that crazy unrecognizable jumble of land.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Geruda's theme in Ocarina of Time is not, in fact, the background music of Cammy/her stage in Street Fighter.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

AlphaKretin posted:

Technically true, but it's also an application of the word for growing because it originally referred to a waxing moon and, over time, people wrongly thought it referred to the shape rather than the stage of the lunar cycle.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've had this pair of wireless headphones (the type that are roughly horseshoe shape and the wires come from from the ends) for a while, and every once in awhile they just won't turn on. I've just assumed they drain super fast.

It turns out, occasionally (especially at night), I've been putting them on upside down. The things are so symmetrical that, randomly, I've been trying to turn the things on with the damm volume controls.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I've had this pair of wireless headphones (the type that are roughly horseshoe shape and the wires come from from the ends) for a while, and every once in awhile they just won't turn on. I've just assumed they drain super fast.

It turns out, occasionally (especially at night), I've been putting them on upside down. The things are so symmetrical that, randomly, I've been trying to turn the things on with the damm volume controls.
Wait, what? Wireless headphones where the wires come from the ends? And do you mean backwards not upside down? Right earpiece over the left ear? How the gently caress do you not notice wearing them upside down?

VVVVVV Huh, I didn't know those existed. Guess I'll shut up now.

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jan 14, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HairyManling posted:

Wait, what? Wireless headphones where the wires come from the ends? And do you mean backwards not upside down? Right earpiece over the left ear? How the gently caress do you not notice wearing them upside down?

I assume this style https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-Tone-Pro-770-Bluetooth-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Black/51624261

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All these years and I had no idea "baka" literally meant horse deer.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fugazi and Fugees are two separate bands.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

All these years and I had no idea "baka" literally meant horse deer.

It doesn't. That's just phonetic.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

But...they're nothing alike.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

Wow, that's... That's a hell of a mistake to make there Hyperlynx

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

But...they're nothing alike.

Now tell me the difference between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's just the names. I don't think I've ever actually heard any song by Fugazi, or anything by the Fugees other than Killing Me Softly on the radio. So I when I'd hear or read some offhand mention of Fugazi I'd think "oh, they did that cover Killing me Softly, didn't they? They were ok".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's like mixing up Madonna and Mayhem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slinkimalinki posted:

Now tell me the difference between Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds.

I've made this mistake on posters, reading the name and wondering where the actor was in the lineup.

But that's because Ryan gosling is emotionless.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

He ate cereal in tribute of that one guy, which was kinda sweet.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've made this mistake on posters, reading the name and wondering where the actor was in the lineup.

I did this with 'The Illusionist' and 'The Prestige' when those two came out around the same time. I was halfway into the Illusionist wondering when the hell wolverine was going to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I learned this a few years ago,. but brief music/band chat reminded me:

There is no band called Modest Yahoo.

There is, however, a singer called Matisyahu.