Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Reinanigans posted:

Haha, she's Cuban, and I'm Cuban-American and we live in Miami, so we'll probably skip that one, but Morimoto's is definitely on the list of spots we will try, but probably not on this trip since I hear it's pretty pricy.

Blaze Pizza looks great, and since we're trying to not break the bank on this trip (we have 3 others planned for this year, at least) this is probably where we'll end up going.

After talking it over with the wife, we'll probably leave Skipper Canteen for another trip. So aside from Pecos Bills, are there any other highly recommended quick service restaurants in MK?

I'm a big fan of the chicken waffle sandwiches at sleepy hollow refreshments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Blaze Pizza looks great, and since we're trying to not break the bank on this trip (we have 3 others planned for this year, at least) this is probably where we'll end up going.

You have annual passes, right? :stonklol:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Grundulum posted:

You have annual passes, right? :stonklol:

Yup! Long story short, we don't spend our disposable income and we've got some big milestones coming this year (both turning 30, getting my Masters) so we decided to go a little Disney crazy. While Disney is by no means cheap, it's within our budget to go while still trying to buy our first home at the end of the year because we live only a 3-4 hour drive from Orlando. We already went twice last year without an annual pass, (Flower & Garden and Food & Wine) and realized it just makes more sense to have the annual pass.

2018 probably won't see us spending any disposable income (house updates/upgrades), and 2019 we'll probably do more long distance vacations like the Grand Canyon or NYC. Bucket List destinations, basically. 2017 will be the Year of Disney.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 16, 2017

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Reinanigans posted:

Haha, she's Cuban, and I'm Cuban-American and we live in Miami, so we'll probably skip that one..

Coming from a Miami Cuban it's overpriced and disappointing when you grew up eating Cuban sandwiches and media noches from literally anywhere in town. We were there a few weeks ago and my wife wanted Cuban food so we stopped there. Her Cuban sandwich was on fake Cuban bread and looked almost identical to my media noche. Top that off the fried plantains she ordered were microwaved poo poo you buy in a box at the grocery store. She ended up sharing my tostones which we were nothing to write home about.

The only redeeming quality about the whole meal was I was able to have a Materva to drink and at least that was real...

Sorry, the bar is really really high if you are Cuban and if from South Florida then eating anywhere claiming to serve authentic is going to be the equivalent of going to McDonald's.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

demonR6 posted:

Coming from a Miami Cuban it's overpriced and disappointing when you grew up eating Cuban sandwiches and media noches from literally anywhere in town. We were there a few weeks ago and my wife wanted Cuban food so we stopped there. Her Cuban sandwich was on fake Cuban bread and looked almost identical to my media noche. Top that off the fried plantains she ordered were microwaved poo poo you buy in a box at the grocery store. She ended up sharing my tostones which we were nothing to write home about.

The only redeeming quality about the whole meal was I was able to have a Materva to drink and at least that was real...

Sorry, the bar is really really high if you are Cuban and if from South Florida then eating anywhere claiming to serve authentic is going to be the equivalent of going to McDonald's.

It's set even higher because both of our moms are great cooks, so we don't even need to pay for great Cuban food!

So when is Star Wars Land slated to be completed? 2019, 2020?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Reinanigans posted:

It's set even higher because both of our moms are great cooks, so we don't even need to pay for great Cuban food!

So when is Star Wars Land slated to be completed? 2019, 2020?

Not sure if they've said, but if we look at recent history we can guess. Official ground breaking for Pandora was 2014 and it's scheduled to open this summer, so call it three and a half years. Official ground breaking for Star Wars Land was 4/14/2016, so that puts it sometime in late 2019 (to coincide with one of the movies perhaps?)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

For QS in MK, I like Columbia Harbour House.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Harbor House is ok for really greasy fried stuff but always leaves me feeling gross in the heat, but Caseys Corner has those amazing foot longs with bacon Mac & cheese and BBQ with slaw. Pecos Bills is still king though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I walked up to a man and said out loud, "I will have the Taco Burger, please."

Pecos Bill's rules.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Gaston's Tavern is pretty good too. They have beef stew, cinnamon rolls, and LeFou's Brew and that's pretty much it. The beef stew is actually pretty awesome and it's a decent value

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Gaston's Tavern is pretty good too. They have beef stew, cinnamon rolls, and LeFou's Brew and that's pretty much it. The beef stew is actually pretty awesome and it's a decent value

That cup is worth it for the Lefou's Brew but it's also friggin delicious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Gaston's Tavern cinnamon rolls

Oh drat, how could I have forgotten about these? It's been too long. Best dessert at MK behind dole whip floats.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Unmature posted:

That cup is worth it for the Lefou's Brew but it's also friggin delicious.

I think Butterbeer is better.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I've just read through this entire thread in the last few days. Apparently I've been doing Disney all wrong, but drat I really want to go again now. Alas, that's not likely to happen any time soon without a lottery win, but at least that means I've got time to plot and plan every detail (since I'm already deciding on what I'll be eating for breakfast each day on a hypothetical vacation!)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

I think Butterbeer is better.

I don't really think they are all that comparable, having had both. Butterbeer is much more of a sweet/dessert thing, while LeFou's is a refreshing drink in line with the other frozen beverages MK sells.

If I had to pick between them, Frozen Butterbeer wins, because I just happen to like it better than Frozen apple juice.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I've found myself with an extra day on property, but no theme park ticket. I know I can add days, but I think I'd like to explore what else there is to do without paying admission. We'll be visiting Disney Springs on arrival day, so instead of doing that I think I'd like to try to visit as many of the deluxe resorts as possible.

Is it doable to try to visit all 8 deluxe resorts in one day? I'm staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so that's a gimme. Here's my rough draft plan:

Start at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Bus to Hollywood Studios
Friendship boat from HS to Yacht/Beach Clubs
Walk to Boardwalk Inn
Bus to Magic Kingdom
Visit monorail loop resorts (Grand Floridian/Polynesian/Contemporary)
Ferry boat from Contemporary to Wilderness Lodge

Also trying to think of how to "mark" each stop. Do I take a selfie with each resort sign? Obtain a resort-specific souvenir from each place? Be a fat goony gently caress and eat a cupcake at each resort?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That sounds like a fun day. Be sure to have the bread pudding at Tambu Lounge in the Polynesian. It's a real shame you can't pool hop anymore. That was one of the best things to do on off days.

By the way, the new ride at Typhoon Lagoon is going to be awesome. It will be firmly ahead of Blizzard Beach now for rides and attractions (like swimming with the sharks and rays), but BB still has excellent theming.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 17, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've always been team Typhoon Lagoon. Blizzard Beach theming puts me off for one reason or another despite how brilliant the idea is.

Any idea if typhoon lagoon ride will be ready for water park season to pick back up?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

couldcareless posted:

I've always been team Typhoon Lagoon. Blizzard Beach theming puts me off for one reason or another despite how brilliant the idea is.
The lift in Blizzard Beach makes for less stair-climbing, which is enough to put it over the top for me.

Even if it terrifies my wife every time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Really though, some shitlord brought a loving monkey in a diaper to Epcot Center. Pushing it around in a stroller.. then it's on her shoulder. Insult to injury they take it to the character area and take pictures with Pluto. This stupid comfort animal stuff has to come under some sort of control it's ridiculous.

I'm going to bring a full-sized South Anerican Macaw in a pirate outfit and call it my 'therapy pet'.. I will teach it to say nothing but obscenities.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

demonR6 posted:

I'm going to bring a full-sized South Anerican Macaw in a pirate outfit and call it my 'therapy pet'.. I will teach it to say nothing but obscenities.

This is awesome though. The Monkey wasn't even wearing an eye patch.

EDIT: For your amusement, here is a New Yorker article about the author's exploits getting Emotional Support Animal credentials for a snake and a turkey, among other critters.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 18, 2017

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's all fun & games until the monkey grabs a turd from it's diaper and suddenly you smell something warm on the back of your neck. LOL

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I worked for Omni they would have people fake call and ask if they can bring their comfort animals to the hotels. It t would be ridiculous animals like horses and if you said no you'd be fired

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I still get a chuckle from the lady who brought the turkey on the Delta flight. The look on the turkeys face sitting in the airplane seat was unforgettable.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fun Fact: Universal's service animal policy states that your animal can only be a dog or a miniature horse.

Who has a seeing eye miniature horse, I ask you.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Braksgirl posted:

Fun Fact: Universal's service animal policy states that your animal can only be a dog or a miniature horse.

That's the federal law. "Service animals" are either dogs or miniature horses. "Emotional support animals" are a whole different thing and I can't wait for a congressman to get poo poo on by a pig on a plane and then there will be a crackdown in like, a day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ED dogs aren't protected by the ADA like service animals are though. Businesses and rental properties have no legal obligation to allow ED pets, but have to allow service animals.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braks, any idea what this whole travel-agents-get-runDisney-bibs-and-sell-them-early thing is? Wife wants to do Dopey next year and is nervous about getting in when registration opens, but I'm not sure I trust this other way.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I don't know what the demand is like for Dopey, but I was ready to register when it opened up for Wine & Dine today and had no trouble getting in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dopey often sells out immediately, like before general registration is even open. I tried to sign up as an AP (we get a week early registration) and couldn't get in, had to settle for the Goofy.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Omne posted:

Braks, any idea what this whole travel-agents-get-runDisney-bibs-and-sell-them-early thing is? Wife wants to do Dopey next year and is nervous about getting in when registration opens, but I'm not sure I trust this other way.

If I understand it correctly, travel agencies can purchase bibs ahead of time and sell them along with a room/ticket package. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about it as my agency isn't one that does that. Apparently it's quite expensive for the agency to set up with Disney and my owner hasn't seen the need for it. As far as I am aware, travel agencies can't just sell a bib, it has to be part of at least a room package.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Braksgirl posted:

Someone I'd like to be friends with.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhohRXn_LY

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Dopey often sells out immediately, like before general registration is even open. I tried to sign up as an AP (we get a week early registration) and couldn't get in, had to settle for the Goofy.

That...doesn't seem right. There's about 8000 Dopey spots, I don't think runDisney would give them all to travel agents/DVC/APs. Did you try to register when regular registration opened too?

Next year is the 5th anniversary of Dopey, so I imagine it'll be nuts to get in. If she really wants to do this, I want to make sure she can.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I believe they also give top priority to previous Dopey finishers, just like the legacy marathoners. All I know is that I tried to get my spot as soon as early registration opened for 2016 and it was already full. Dopey is incredibly popular.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm not doubting you at all, and I know it's extremely popular and sells out quickly. I just figure they'd hold some spots for open registration, otherwise no one would really get in after DVC/AP/TA/previous finishers get their shot.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's the story with the...bibs? Why are the Dopey ones so sought after?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Reinanigans posted:

What's the story with the...bibs? Why are the Dopey ones so sought after?

Dopey is all four races back (5)-to-back (10k)-to-back (half marathon)-to-back (full marathon). It's sought after because it's friggin' crazy to do this challenge. A bib is your entry into a race. Normally Dopey (as would all other races for that weekend) registrations would be on February 14th for the 2018 races, but AP/DVC members get a week of advance registration, and I'm learning that travel agents are given bibs to sell as well, prior to open registration.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just got back from Disneyland, so different from WDW. Had a good time but in no hurry to go back. Looking forward to getting back WDW on our next Disney trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Braksgirl posted:

About 8 years ago I was in a radio shack and a blind woman came in with a horse. I cannot fathom why someone would have one versus a dog unless it's an allergy issue or something because it was terrible. It knocked poo poo over everywhere and couldn't maneuver at all. Might as well use a goat. The horse also wore a diaper. Can't wait to go into a bathroom and see a dumb little horse on a changing station.