Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Shin Godzilla was extremely loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Paladinus posted:

In that scene Ray is not Mary Sue. Hm...

Every loving Bond film up until Daniel Craig he's a Mary Sue.

It's an evolutionary phase. Don't let it ruin your chill.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
I don't really get the intense hatred for Josh. People's objections seem to be that he's trying to be funny (they all are and so are you) and that he's a big gross nerd (they all are and so are you).

Fair enough if his jokes don't make you laugh but these are not capital crimes.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Clawtopsy posted:

when will we get a movie about darth vader's tie figher advanced design

i would also like a retelling of the gonk robot's history

I want a movie explaining exactly why Vader selected those 2 pilots to back him up while going to spank his son in space.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The star wars universe is huge I think it's a whole galaxy. But everywhere we see has the same look to it. It all looks like a set from the hit show fire fly. And also everyone uses the same money and speaks the same language. It is weird.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

I want a movie explaining exactly why Vader selected those 2 pilots to back him up while going to spank his son in space.

We'll find out Vader had a Force prophecy about the Death Star blowing up and caused the accident that made him spin out.

With the Force.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Wicker Man posted:

I think you mean "Backstabber" and "Mauler" Mithel :spergin:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

The X-Wing miniature game is pretty cool.

You can actually do quite alot with the Star Wars universe, it's just that most of those things aren't movies.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched a game of X-Wing miniature game, the Y-wings with ion cannons seem broken and neither players seem to want to shoot each other or even getting in position. I am not sure it is a good game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

oohhboy posted:

I watched a game of X-Wing miniature game, the Y-wings with ion cannons seem broken and neither players seem to want to shoot each other or even getting in position. I am not sure it is a good game.

Like everything it has balance issues. I've only played it casually though. On the whole I would say that the Imperials require a bit more skill, as the thing you need is to be good at anticipating your opponents maneuvers and making the most out of superior numbers and piloting skill (maneuver last, shoot first).

This probably is not the thread for that though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trunko posted:

The star wars universe is huge I think it's a whole galaxy. But everywhere we see has the same look to it. It all looks like a set from the hit show fire fly. And also everyone uses the same money and speaks the same language. It is weird.

In the first Star Wars the Jewish lizard bug refuses to take Republic Credits, which means that there are multiple currencies in the Star Wars universe

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the first Star Wars

Never post in this thread again.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Trunko posted:

lol how is C3P0 fluent in 6 million forms of communication if there's only 1 language. Boy are you ignorant.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Osric posted:

Fair enough if his jokes don't make you laugh but these are not capital crimes.

They're capital internet crimes, the worst in all of cyberspace.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

thoughts and prayers posted:

Every loving Bond film up until Daniel Craig he's a Mary Sue.

Eh. Except like Never Say Never Again where (for Bond anyway) he's aging and screws up a decent portion of the time, although that's an extraordinary case. And the Lazenby one with the end. Having Bond get shown up at something is sometimes used for dramatic effect, because pretty much everyone in the Bond universe is the best in the world at that thing they do.

Also when he becomes literally a ninja he has to spend a while in Japan training and put on yellowface, he doesn't just look at ninjas and all of a sudden becomes one.

a bone to pick posted:

Shin Godzilla was extremely loving good.

Goddamn is it good. It is everything good about a kaiju movie yet it is somehow also modern. Fantastic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I read film magazines for years, went to film school and never before the internet decided it was a thing did I ever hear the term Mary Sue

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

I only had to search my feelings to know that this was actually real :negative:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I read film magazines for years, went to film school and never before the internet decided it was a thing did I ever hear the term Mary Sue

There's nothing wrong with the term itself, just the application of it.

It should be used for characters who are obvious self-inserts that everyone loves and can do no wrong, but now people are just using it to describe any character who accomplishes things.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is so hard about term definitions?

"A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment."

how does this thread get this term wrong so loving consistently? A Mary Sue isn't always a self-insert.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a question. What emotions were Rey and Luke experiencing at the end of TFA? Because that scene baffles me. Rey starts crying and I don't know why, and Luke just stares at her, and I think that's because some weird lady showed up on his island with his lightsaber and he's like "what", but that seems like an odd emotion to end the movie on

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

You probably didn't hear about it because it wasn't a movie term. It started on the internet, like ancient Usenet internet.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Because it started in internet fan fiction, and has only recently crossed over to other genres.

To be a true Mary Sue it needs to be the author inserting his girlfriend who is the best at everything and liked by everyone. People are extending that to say any character who is way too good at everything for no reason, which is such a common thing that many people find utility in this new term. It's not just that a character is written as being good at things, just because James Bond is good at things doesn't make him a Mary Sue. It's when he can beat the guy at the videogame despite only ever having played it once and nobody actually went over the rules at all, that's when it gets Mary Sue.

So the new definition ^ accounts for the modern retelling.

Your daily reminder that dictionaries are an attempt to reflect the common usages of a word. Dictionaries do not invent the meaning of words nor are they absolute sources for usage, especially in fast-moving modern cultures.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got a question. What emotions were Rey and Luke experiencing at the end of TFA? Because that scene baffles me. Rey starts crying and I don't know why, and Luke just stares at her, and I think that's because some weird lady showed up on his island with his lightsaber and he's like "what", but that seems like an odd emotion to end the movie on

(lovely South Park reference)

Rey: "'Member Luke Skywalker?"

Luke: "Yeah I 'member. 'Member Chewbacca?"

Rey: "I 'member! I just saw Chewbacca! 'Member Han Solo?"

Luke: "I 'member!"

Rey: "'Yeah! Member when Han Solo died?"

Luke: (sad look)

Rey: (crying)

Mike: "What is that in the background blowing around on the cliffs... is that the loose pages of the script? Did somebody leave the script laying around and now it's just blowing around all over the screen? How embarrasing."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

For Luke? If the theory that she's his daughter is true, I imagine he's feeling guilty as gently caress. If she's not his daughter, then I imagine he's feeling obligated to train her, despite his failings with Kylo Ren.

Rey's entire identity has been called into question due to recent events, and now she's meeting basically the most famous man in the galaxy and is asking him to train her to become a Jedi. She's feeling overwhelmed, excited, nervous, etc.

E: Mary Sue was named after a character in classic Star Trek fan fiction, it was not a term the Internet invented.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Guy Goodbody posted:

Luke "Hey, now that DNA test never came back positive."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trunko posted:

Allow me to link you to this 100 page essay on globalisation in the Star Wars universe.

I won't actually do this, but I'm sure it exists.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

WampaLord posted:

For Luke? If the theory that she's his daughter is true, I imagine he's feeling guilty as gently caress. If she's not his daughter, then I imagine he's feeling obligated to train her, despite his failings with Kylo Ren.

Rey's entire identity has been called into question due to recent events, and now she's meeting basically the most famous man in the galaxy and is asking him to train her to become a Jedi. She's feeling overwhelmed, excited, nervous, etc.

E: Mary Sue was named after a character in classic Star Trek fan fiction, it was not a term the Internet invented.

Fanfic from 1970s I think.

Now it's used as a catch-all for under developed protagonists. Which Rey is, regardless of everything else.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

revdrkevind posted:

Because it started in internet fan fiction, and has only recently crossed over to other genres.

To be a true Mary Sue it needs to be the author inserting his girlfriend who is the best at everything and liked by everyone. People are extending that to say any character who is way too good at everything for no reason, which is such a common thing that many people find utility in this new term.

Would an RLM example of a Mary Sue be the main characters in Geteven, Double Down, and to a lesser extent Bloodebts?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

You probably didn't hear about it because it wasn't a movie term. It started on the internet, like ancient Usenet internet.

revdrkevind posted:

Makes sense, thanks

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Archaic posted:

Would an RLM example of a Mary Sue be the main characters in Geteven, Double Down, and to a lesser extent Bloodebts?

I forget Geteven, but Double Down is a perfect example. Neil Breen is the best at everything and is obviously a self insert.

Bloodebts is just a generic action dude who succeeds because action dudes usually succeed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

"Hey uh, you didn't happen to find a hand with that, did you?"

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Luke and Rey is gonna end up some weirdass Frank-Charlie thing on that small island

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
All I want is for Luke to start talking like the joker in the next movie

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I parsed Luke's expression, when presented with yet another goddamn lightsaber, as "I'm just so sick of all these Star Wars."

Dunno what Rey was so upset about. She's only been in one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

suburban virgin posted:

I parsed Luke's expression, when presented with yet another goddamn lightsaber, as "I'm just so sick of all these Star Wars."

This is also a perfectly valid interpretation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Right, so for Luke the answer to what he was feeling is "we don't know, check back in two years for the answer in a different movie" and Rey is basically about to yell "please fix my life, strange old man!"

I can't help but think that this was better

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Right, so for Luke the answer to what he was feeling is "we don't know, check back in two years for the answer in a different movie" and Rey is basically about to yell "please fix my life, strange old man!"

those two dudes behind R2 look like grown up munchkins from the wizard of oz.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
i never noticed those mustache dudes before, cool

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Lucas wasn't sure when he made A New Hope that he was gonna get to make sequels, so he wrapped up the story.

They loving knew that episodes 8 and 9 were coming, so they end on a cliffhanger. Obviously a cliffhanger is less satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

I mean, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Lucas wasn't sure when he made A New Hope that he was gonna get to make sequels, so he wrapped up the story.

They loving knew that episodes 8 and 9 were coming, so they end on a cliffhanger. Obviously a cliffhanger is less satisfying.

Oranges are better than apples

• Locked thread