Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

I think by "positive thinking" they mean "magical thinking", like the kind of poo poo espoused by The Secret that tells you if you just think about something you want to happen really hard, it will.

Yup. I should have elaborated; it's stuff like that. Having positive thoughts is fine. Having a positive attitude toward life is fine. Optimism is totally fine. Believing that the right thoughts will magically bring things into your life is bug gently caress crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alaois posted:

I think by "positive thinking" they mean "magical thinking", like the kind of poo poo espoused by The Secret that tells you if you just think about something you want to happen really hard, it will.

It's this, and it has the implication (or sometimes even stated outright) that all those cancer patients and people with depression just aren't thinking positively enough, and also don't need/shouldn't get treatment.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Alaois posted:

This always struck me as a pseudo-secular rebranding of the "pray-away" strategy espoused by fundie bible-thumpers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AlphaKretin posted:

It's this, and it has the implication (or sometimes even stated outright) that all those cancer patients and people with depression just aren't thinking positively enough, and also don't need/shouldn't get treatment.

yea this is the big problem with it. There's a huge gulf between 'look just try to keep a positive view of things, maybe if you do you'll see the world better and see more opportunities for positive change' and 'you can do LITERALLY ANYTHING with positive thinking, and if you're not a mad wealthy movie star right now you're not thinking positive enough.'

It's like the woo woo hippy version of libertarian bullshit. Bootstraps with a new age flavor.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

AlphaKretin posted:

With some auxiliary assistance from crystals and marijuana.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea this is the big problem with it. There's a huge gulf between 'look just try to keep a positive view of things, maybe if you do you'll see the world better and see more opportunities for positive change' and 'you can do LITERALLY ANYTHING with positive thinking, and if you're not a mad wealthy movie star right now you're not thinking positive enough.'

It's like the woo woo hippy version of libertarian bullshit. Bootstraps with a new age flavor.

Brainstraps

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It also ultimately shifts the blame for anything bad that happens in peoples' lives entirely to themselves. Even if it's some random thing you can't control (why no I didn't choose to have my house flattened by a meteor when I was sleeping, thanks) the idea is that you thought too negatively and drew it to yourself. Whatever happens in your life is entirely, totally, 100% your own drat fault, no matter what, all the time. Don't complain because that's negative!

It's a tremendously stupid ideology that is appealing because it simplifies the world so much, blames anybody that's suffered misfortune on themselves, and absolves people of winning birth lotteries. Jim Carrey in particular had a non-poor upbringing and a father that helped him get where he was. But, you know, it was all just positive thinking, right?

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Dec 31, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But, you know, it was all just positive thinking, right?

And talking out his rear end.

I'm not referencing Ace Ventura by the way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alaois posted:

So, same thing Scott Adams genuinely believes in.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Also Noel Edmunds, though he calls it Cosmic Ordering based on some book he read.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's a tremendously stupid ideology that is appealing because it simplifies the world so much, blames anybody that's suffered misfortune on themselves, and absolves people of winning birth lotteries. Jim Carrey in particular had a non-poor upbringing and a father that helped him get where he was. But, you know, it was all just positive thinking, right?

There was a period during Carrey's late teens where his family was pretty poor. He had to drop out of school to help support his family as a janitor at a factory. His parents and some siblings lived in a VW bus in his older sister's backyard. His father did help, I guess, by driving Jim to his comedy routines but was dead before Jim made it big. Carrey wrote the $20 million check to himself as a promise to make it big and he put it in his dad's coffin.

But I agree that he's a woobird with some naive at best, dangerous at worst, beliefs.

Little known bit of Jim Carrey trivia that I honestly read in a mid-1990s biography was that when he was young he would sneak into his parents bedroom and hump a green rug that was on the floor. I clearly remember reading that because 13-year-old me found it hilarious.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

Little known bit of Jim Carrey trivia that I honestly read in a mid-1990s biography was that when he was young he would sneak into his parents bedroom and hump a green rug that was on the floor. I clearly remember reading that because 13-year-old me found it hilarious.

He was just getting in character for The Grinch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AA is for Quitters posted:

At least RPatz was open about not showering in an attempt to keep teenage fangirls away. Also his open contempt for the entire Twilight series made him pretty ok by me.

Rpats will forever have my sympathy after he talked about women literally scratching open their necks to get him to drink their blood, and when he ran out into traffic to get away from fangirls.

He had no idea what he was getting into.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Unlilever doesn’t care if you find it attractive.

They use the idea of twenty‐somethings wearing it to sell it to middle‐schoolers.

Unilever knows that twenty‐somethings don’t actually buy it, but their middle‐school customers do not.
I knew guys in college who bought it, and girls who were drawn to them like in the commercials. It was pretty gross to be around them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

drat, I really hope he gets some prison time out of this, but he's rich as gently caress so it's not very likely.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Also Noel Edmunds, though he calls it Cosmic Ordering based on some book he read.

At some point did Noel Edmonds think really really hard about Mr Blobby then?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/UniversalORL/status/816751445143908356

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's a meme, I think.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

It's a meme, I think.

yeah it's called loss.jpg

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Most "stars" end up insane.

Some low key insane, others more ....exposed.

Jim carrey is anti vaxxer
Will Smith is,....well, have you seen his kid?

isnt it just jenna thats anti vax? not that carrey is a pillar of mental health since he really belives in the 23 conspiracy

edit: nm should of read the rest of the thread.

snergle has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Jan 5, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just saw an ad for Mafia III set to a hip hop track. Why even set your game in the 60s, or any defined time period, if your marketing team is just going to gently caress it up for you?

Related, was it Battlefield 1 that had a dubstep remix of Seven Nation Army in one trailer?

Similarly, EA's marketing department thought the most fitting lyrics to accompany battlefield 3 was "I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Mierenneuker posted:

A big thing about Mafia III is that it features a mixed heritage protagonist in a fictional equivalent of New Orleans. It's not going for a The Godfather vibe.
Modern hip hop seems like an odd choice when at least one school of jazz was born in New Orleans, largely created by African Americans, and was still huge in the 60s

You're about two to three decades late for big band

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

A big thing about Mafia III is that it features a mixed heritage protagonist in a fictional equivalent of New Orleans. It's not going for a The Godfather vibe.

...and the main target audience is probably 15-30, so I'm not surprised they didn't have big band music as the soundtrack to the commercial.

Yeah, but it's the 1960s. You'd expect poo poo like Hendrix.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Okay, this is a few months late, but I immediately thought of the Bother-Gyros

Viscous Soda has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jan 10, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You people never complain all the times 1890's ragtime is in movies about the 1920's or 30's.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You people never complain all the times 1890's ragtime is in movies about the 1920's or 30's.

Well obviously I just figured it didn't even need to be said.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, but it's the 1960s. You'd expect poo poo like Hendrix.

Hendrix would be a great since the protagonist is a Vietnam vet IIRC (haven't played it) so there could be a big connection around that, the protest movement etc.

That said, anachronistic music can work amazingly well if done properly so I wouldn't complain about it based on principle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dSdh21mCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1IG8hw73A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBie5spRrs

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Hendrix would be a great since the protagonist is a Vietnam vet IIRC (haven't played it) so there could be a big connection around that, the protest movement etc.

That said, anachronistic music can work amazingly well if done properly so I wouldn't complain about it based on principle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dSdh21mCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1IG8hw73A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBie5spRrs

I think those work best because they're intentionally trying to be stylized and the eras have music that doesn't quite sound entertaining and dynamic to most modern ears. It's a bit different when it's the 1960s, which has a lot of really iconic music that's still popular among the general public today.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It also ultimately shifts the blame for anything bad that happens in peoples' lives entirely to themselves. Even if it's some random thing you can't control (why no I didn't choose to have my house flattened by a meteor when I was sleeping, thanks) the idea is that you thought too negatively and drew it to yourself. Whatever happens in your life is entirely, totally, 100% your own drat fault, no matter what, all the time. Don't complain because that's negative!

Some time in the 90s I caught an episode of Oprah (I know, I know) where she and her guests were cooing over children who had "pre-birth memories of heaven". The parents were basically taking their kids' ramblings about angels and inability to understand the concept of time as proof that their children had 'chosen' what lives and families to be born to.

Of course, these were all middle-class Oprah-watching mothers whose children did ballet and baseball and could have seconds of the home-made, organic dessert if they wanted. Even as a daft teenager, I was really unimpressed at the implication that a child who is hideously abused or suffers devastating brain damage at birth had also 'chosen' that life over one of comfort and stability.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I gotta admit to something here: the situation with Mafia III isn't quite as dire as I'd thought. Turns out the trailer song was especially written by Ice Cube, using a synopsis of the game's plot, and samples a 60s song for the hook. I still would have preferred something period appropriate, but despite my initial impression it's not like they just slapped a generic gangsta rap track onto the trailer footage and called it a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiHOpHbCzM

... it just really feels like it. I mean, okay, I get it, Mafia III is a gangster story, and 60s or not if you write rap lyrics about a gangster story you are getting a gangsta rap track out of that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IHOP says they were hacked :airquote:.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Platystemon posted:

IHOP says they were hacked :airquote:.

If that's the only tweet, then the real story is probably that their social media person retweeted this thinking they were on their own account.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pancakes so good, Bernie would have one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Pancakes so good, Bernie would have one.

Bernie understands that waffles are superior to pancakes. :colbert:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In fairness to Mafia III, not using Hendrix might have to do with the fact that Hendrix's estate is VERY protective about his music being used. Al Hendrix, Jimi's dad, has a real bug up his rear end about allowing any media he morally disagrees with using his son's music, which sounds reasonable until you realize Al tried to get in Jimi's way almost every step of the way on Jimi's way to the top. Maybe they could have used some reworked Motown stuff, particularly the more socially conscious songs.

I guess what I'm saying is licensing music can be a pain in the rear end, and the hip-hop songs they used in the ads were probably simply a matter of making a decent offer.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In fairness to Mafia III, not using Hendrix might have to do with the fact that Hendrix's estate is VERY protective about his music being used. Al Hendrix, Jimi's dad, has a real bug up his rear end about allowing any media he morally disagrees with using his son's music, which sounds reasonable until you realize Al tried to get in Jimi's way almost every step of the way on Jimi's way to the top. Maybe they could have used some reworked Motown stuff, particularly the more socially conscious songs.

I guess what I'm saying is licensing music can be a pain in the rear end, and the hip-hop songs they used in the ads were probably simply a matter of making a decent offer.

"All Along the Watchtower" plays over the games Main Menu.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

"All Along the Watchtower" plays over the games Main Menu.

Bob Dylan wrote that song, though. So the publishing rights would be his, I'd think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bob Dylan wrote that song, though. So the publishing rights would be his, I'd think.

I'm not well-versed on how copyright law effects covers, but I think the rights would still go to the cover artist unless the cover artist negotiated a license with the original artist that precluded this kind of thing. So they'd still need the Hendrix estate's permission, not Bob Dylan's.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not well-versed on how copyright law effects covers, but I think the rights would still go to the cover artist unless the cover artist negotiated a license with the original artist that precluded this kind of thing. So they'd still need the Hendrix estate's permission, not Bob Dylan's.
The cover artist isn't Jimi Hendrix in this case. It's Billy Valentine & The Forest Rangers, or so Youtube tells me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Even if they'd hypothetically used the Hendrix version in the main menu, that wouldn't necessarily mean they have rights to use it in advertising, would it?