Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

a bone to pick posted:

What the gently caress is so hard about term definitions?

"A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment."

how does this thread get this term wrong so loving consistently? A Mary Sue isn't always a self-insert.
Here's a term definition:

loving sperg: a person who uses TVTropes terms and similar phrases.

So you are a loving sperg. It's a technical phrase, not an insult so you shouldn't be offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress star war

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oranges are better than apples

The great state of Florida thanks you for your bold and outspoken viewpoint.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

gently caress star war

Star gently caress War!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever, I'm just glad this thread isn't talking about pop music and videogames again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Whatever, I'm just glad this thread isn't talking about pop music and videogames again.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mods please change my name to "Lando Fever"

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

WampaLord posted:

I forget Geteven, but Double Down is a perfect example. Neil Breen is the best at everything and is obviously a self insert.

Bloodebts is just a generic action dude who succeeds because action dudes usually succeed.

Geteven was the guy who was a lawyer in real life who made a movie about a dude's wife who was killed and he goes on a killing spree but they spend way too much time with him and his wife, he tells jokes to the wait staff, is a kung fu master, song writer, singer. He even did the movie's soundtrack himself. The antagonist is a judge who is also a satanic priest (because he's projecting what he thinks about judges based on his real life lawyer experiences).

Edit: Oh Christ he's even a Shakespeare aficionado! Probably the most cringeworthy scene.

The Archaic fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2017

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dylan McKay posted:

i never noticed those mustache dudes before, cool

The most prominent one is Grinbo Niblick. He is from a race of mustache dudes whose entire culture and economy is based on being white dudes with mustaches. Their homeworld has a distinct mustache shaped asteroid cluster surrounding it. They were key players in the early republic and he was a good friend of both Ben Kenobi and Anakin.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Dylan McKay posted:

i never noticed those mustache dudes before, cool

Like most of us you probably grew up with the VHS tapes right? Where the full screen effect cuts out nearly half the movie, so you probably never even saw them. Watching the OT in letterbox is like watching it all again for the first time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Those are some big-rear end medals.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did you know that the sash Chewbacca wears isn't ammo or anything, it actually denotes he's the mayor of his town.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love how Episode 1 tried to do the same thing as Episode 4 by having a princess congratulate all the heroes but it was so loving weird and nothing made any sense while it was happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDeA313H80

What the gently caress is going onnnnn?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm still amazing that anyone (George Lucas) looked at the Gungans and thought "Yup, good idea, this is gonna be great"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

I love how Episode 1 tried to do the same thing as Episode 4 by having a princess congratulate all the heroes but it was so loving weird and nothing made any sense while it was happening:

I mean come on man, it's obviously symbolically a wedding of the two races into one people. Don't be dense.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm gonna order everybody in this thread a special "I saved the rebellion from the tyranny of the evil empire and all I got was this lousy medal" medals that they can wear with pride :D

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm still amazing that anyone (George Lucas) looked at the Gungans and thought "Yup, good idea, this is gonna be great"

And then he doubled down with Dexter Jexter or whatever the gently caress that piece of poo poo CG monster was called.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Did she just give him one of those acid grenade balls they used in the battle?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

lmao I haven't seen the prequels since the cinema when I was a babby so this poo poo is hilarious

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

greatn posted:

I mean come on man, it's obviously symbolically a wedding of the two races into one people. Don't be dense.

It's George Lucas symbolically taking a giant CGI dump on all of our faces

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Imagine if the role of the Trade Federation had been reduced, and the movie was mainly about the Jedis stopping a civil war between the humans and the Gungans. I think the movie would've made more sense, because it already has a ton of stuff about the relationship between the humans and the Gungans but it never really amounts to anything or matters. But on the other hand, there would've been a lot more Gungan time in the movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oppan Gungan Style!

Heeeeeeeeeey, sexy laaaady!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Did she just give him one of those acid grenade balls they used in the battle?

Whatever it is they did not explain what it is and what its importance is. Giving a hero a medal is symbolic and something us humans can understand, giving a frog monster a glowing orb isn't as easy to understand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Jesus, it is not a hard scene to understand unless you're being willfully obtuse or are narratively illiterate.

You already know the big ball is some kind of trophy or award or symbol of friendship, do you need twenty minutes backstory setting it up? Of all the things to complain about in those movies.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Whatever it is they did not explain what it is and what its importance is. Giving a hero a medal is symbolic and something us humans can understand, giving a frog monster a glowing orb isn't as easy to understand.

I'd have loll'd if the big gungan ate the magic glowy orb like it was a snack and all the humans were horrified roll credits.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Jesus, it is not a hard scene to understand unless you're being willfully obtuse or are narratively illiterate.

You already know the big ball is some kind of trophy or award or symbol of friendship, do you need twenty minutes backstory setting it up? Of all the things to complain about in those movies.

Yeah we all know the intention of the object but what is it? A symbol of friendship like you say? As someone else said it's exactly like the elctro-acid balls that were in the gungan battle earlier. Why do we need glowing blue balls instead of a medal which everyone can understand? It speaks to the decision making and directing of George Lucas, how every decision makes little to no sense.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Why didn't he lift it over his head? If it had gone off it would have poured acid all over his face.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

a bone to pick posted:

This is insanely bad looking holy poo poo

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I mean, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Lucas wasn't sure when he made A New Hope that he was gonna get to make sequels, so he wrapped up the story.

They loving knew that episodes 8 and 9 were coming, so they end on a cliffhanger. Obviously a cliffhanger is less satisfying.
A cliffhanger is when you don't know what's going to happen next and how the situation will be resolved until you see the next one.

It's not when you don't know what any of the characters are feeling or what the point of the film's climax is until you see the next one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The scene would've worked better if they had both signed a big piece of paper, instead of handling a glow ball. Then the frog monster yelling peace would've made more sense

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Even though it's a lame arse reference to the original movies.... gently caress YEA!!!!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the first Star Wars the Jewish lizard bug refuses to take Republic Credits, which means that there are multiple currencies in the Star Wars universe

Should've used Sithcoins. :smugdroid:

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

Eh. Except like Never Say Never Again where (for Bond anyway) he's aging and screws up a decent portion of the time, although that's an extraordinary case. And the Lazenby one with the end. Having Bond get shown up at something is sometimes used for dramatic effect, because pretty much everyone in the Bond universe is the best in the world at that thing they do.

Also when he becomes literally a ninja he has to spend a while in Japan training and put on yellowface, he doesn't just look at ninjas and all of a sudden becomes one.
The other lesson the Star Wars films could learn from the Bond films is that Bond villains don't keep on doing exactly the same evil scheme in every film.

Sometimes they're building a super weapon, sometimes they're trying to assassinate someone, sometimes they want to start a war and sometimes they just want to irradiate Fort Knox

They come up with new and different evil schemes each time and this is more exciting for the audience than if they just did the same thing again but bigger.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
It also would've helped if Padme was looking at Boss Nass (?) in the face with some sort of joy or happiness, instead of staring directly into his chest with no emotion.

I just rewatched the Star Wars awards ceremony and there's all sorts of emoting going on. I think they call that acting?

Phantom Menace just has this:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Post the really bad stand-ins from that scene.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know why, but I always laugh whenever I see Daisy Riddley's stank face in that movie. It's like she never stops bugging her eyes out or gritting her teeth at everything, it's like everybody around her is letting the nastiest fart and she's always mortified.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

CaptainFish posted:

It also would've helped if Padme was looking at Boss Nass (?) in the face with some sort of joy or happiness, instead of staring directly into his chest with no emotion.

I just rewatched the Star Wars awards ceremony and there's all sorts of emoting going on. I think they call that acting?

Phantom Menace just has this:

He looked like such a normal kid. Strange to think he grew up into something so devastatingly ugly

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know why, but I always laugh whenever I see Daisy Riddley's stank face in that movie. It's like she never stops bugging her eyes out or gritting her teeth at everything, it's like everybody around her is letting the nastiest fart and she's always mortified.

Actor's teeth in the past 2 star wars have really bothered me, Adam Driver when he's interrogating Rey, Daisey Ridley's tiny teeth, and pretty much every time Felicity Jones opens her mouth.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Why didn't he lift it over his head? If it had gone off it would have poured acid all over his face.

Gungans are really dumb. In a non-racist way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

greatn posted:

Look idiot, if you specifically take time out in your piece of poo poo movie to have a big glowly celebration ball that is the centre of the entire scene then it might help to explain what the gently caress it means even if its basic as gently caress.

• Locked thread