Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sweart gliwere posted:

I asked about this a while back, but don't think any responses came: is there a decent simple way to get Moto-style custom phrases for the "OK Google" features built in to most newer phones?
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok. I've combed through all the recent cable/charger tests and I think I can summarize some stuff.

A-C Cables/Chargers

For the most part, it's hard not to be safe here. You may not be charging optimally, but it should be safe as long as you use a decent quality A charger and an A-C cable with the proper resistor in it. The main caveat to note is that if your cable has a high IR Drop, you may generate more heat and less charge than you could otherwise.

Some good options here around $10/cable.

Belkin A-C Cable. It's a USB 2.0 cable and it's USB-IF certified. 6ft length. F2CU032bt06-BLK
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Certified-Charge-Meters/dp/B00WJSPFOW/

Anker Powerline A-C Cable 3ft. It's USB 3.0 and very well constructed and comes with a nice carrying case. It does have a larger than average IR Drop so it's probably not the best choice to use with battery pack due to heat generation. There's also a 6ft version cable as well, but since the 3ft has a high IR drop, the 6ft is likely to be worse. A8168091
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Durability-Including-ChromeBook/dp/B01GN0M6NE

Google and Apple both make a "better" A-C cable (USB 3.1 Gen 2), but they are both over $20 /cable. Since A-C is mostly going to be used for charging, it seems overkill. Everyone who buys a Pixel is going to get one of Google's anyways so if you really need it for high speed data transfer, you have one.

Chargers are pretty much any decent A charger. One thing to note is that there is evidence that proprietary charging methods (QC, Samsung rapid charge) have caused damage to eMarked cables. But most A-C cables aren't eMarked so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

C-C Cables

Early on it looked like the A-C cables were the only ones that we had to worry about, but reality was so much worse. C-C is just as much of a crap shoot due to the complexity of the cable. Since they do signaling and high power at the same time, isolation is key. USB-C can also be eMarked, but most manufacturers are botching the info that's stored in the chip. It should have a unique serial number and limit the capabilities of the cable, but sometimes the info is blank and or corrupt. Some cables have grounding issues which is a real problem when you can put as much as 100w of power through a cable. The result is that cables are not cheap and might never be cheap as A to Micro B cables. However, they should be higher quality and need to be replaced less often.

So, what's good?

Google OEM Cable that comes with the pixel and the pack in charger. However, I wouldn't buy the cable by itself as the price is too high relative to better options out there.

The current gold standard for charging is the Apple C-C cable, MLL82AM/A
It can do up to 100w. It has low IR Drop. It's well constructed. You can find it locally at any Apple store or Best Buy (BB is usually more expensive and you should price match.) They are $19 a piece and 6ft in length. Yes, $19 for a cable seems expensive, but that's par for the course with C right now. Downside is it's only USB 2.0, so not high speed data transfer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ5Z080/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Another option on the quality end is the Belkin F2CD082ds0.5MBK. It's expensive (mostly because it's technically a thunderbolt cable). It has the 2nd lowest IR drop of any cable tested so it's really effecient. It's also capable of 40gbps data transfer. However, since it's a thunderbolt cable, Intel requires it to be limited to 60watts of power delivery even though it's construction can clearly do 100w. Anyways, it's an extremely overbuilt 3ft cable for $30. So, it's not easy to recommend it due to the price, but you shouldn't have any issue using it.
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CD082/

On the cheaper end of things, we have Anker. A8181011 It's a 3ft cable for less than $10. It's very thin which makes it nice and portable. It does have IR Drop on the upper end (which is why the A8182011 6ft version may not be a great choice). It's a USB 2.0 cable so slower data speed. But hey, it's cheap and safe and functional.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6G0CTQ

Another one worth mentioning is the j5Create JUCX01. Nathan K says this is the single best cable on the market for being 100w, USB 3.1 Gen 2, and the lowest IR drop recorded. It's around $25. The only thing that gives me pause about it is the fact that its sister cable JUCX03 that's sold at Best Buy is completely unsafe and equipment damaging. So, I'm wary about the JUCX01 maintaining the same level of quality as reviewed.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Type-C-Coaxial-Cable-JUCX01

C Charging from an outlet

Buy a spare Pixel OEM charger.

What, you were expecting more? Fine, there are a HANDFUL of other viable options, but none are as good a value as the Pixel OEM charger.

The MonoPrice Obsidian Charger.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSLXMWW
It's compliant and comes with two USB A ports as well (but it's 2.4A total for those other two ports, not each.) No 18w charging. Might be a decent travel charger due to fordable prongs and ability to charge legacy devices.

Anker Powerport 5 port charger. The C port does 5v/3a 9v/3a 15v/3a 20v/2.25a so it can charge even higher power devices.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Type-C-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort/dp/B01D8C6ULO

Verizon TYPECPDQC3TVL. Versatile charger that does both USB-PD (including 9v and 12v) and QC 3.0. However, it comes with a VERY BAD cable. I would recommend using it with the above cheaper Anker cable option since it is also a QC charger and could possibly damage the eMarker in the more expensive cables.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-usb-type-c-wall-charger-with-fast-charge-technology/

C Car Chargers
There's nothing worth mentioning here. Nearly everything out there is either outright dangerous or glitches in a way that prevents the Pixel from charging at 3A.

There appear to be two chargers that CAN do 3A with the Pixel. The TYPECPDQC3VPC is a Verizon charger that also includes QC 3.0, but it has borderline bad overvoltage compensation and can be glitchy in a few ways. The other is the B01LYCC432 from Tronsmart which is standard compliant and electrically safe, but there's been numerous reports of the plug shorting out and melting.

So, basically, use your old A charger with the Belkin A-C cables above and call it a day until the industry gets their poo poo together. Oh, and if you have the 27watt Belkin charger, stop using it immediately sign up for the exchange program.

Batteries
Use a good battery with USB A and use the Belkin A-C cable.

Other Stuff
Belkin makes a USB-IF certified C- Micro USB cable that can be useful for charging legacy microUSB devices with a C charger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NCWY62/

There are also numerous options for MicroUSB to C adapters and they should be similarly safe as A-C cables if they have the proper resistor.

On the subject of USB-IF, certification can be good if you are working with a known good manufacturer. The problem comes in that there's very little enforcement for both counterfeit claims of certification and testing with real world samples. There's been many USB-IF certified cables that have come back as bad, likely due to the fact that the manufacturer submits a 'golden sample' for testing and then puts an inferior part on the shelves. USB-IF doesn't buy and test cables you can buy in the stores, so that stuff doesn't get caught.

Currently USB-IF does not certify chargers. That's coming. However, I would assume the same caveats would apply there as with cables.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 15, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for putting this together, but also holy poo poo lmao

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I'm not getting into USB C until 2018. My Nexus 6 is still trucking along fine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

but also holy poo poo lmao

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The whole usb-c situation should improve once the Galaxy S8 arrives. Had the Note 7 not exploded I'm sure the lovely cable situation would've gotten much more mainstream coverage and shamed manufacturers into action.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doubtful since Samsung does their own proprietary standard on top of USB-C.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Doubtful since Samsung does their own proprietary standard on top of USB-C.

Wait, really?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, really?

Yes. Their adaptive fast chargers use proprietary signaling with Samsung devices for charge negotiation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dammit, I own the '004' Belkin charger. It seems like it's alright to use so long as I don't ever use it while the ignition's off, and don't leave it plugged in longer than it needs to charge, reading the XDA thread for it. =/

For anyone else in the same boat: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5gz4q9/psa_if_you_purchased_a_belkin_f7u004_27w_usbc_car/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 16, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I thought I put an unreasonable amount of time into researching USB C chargers, but now I'm not feeling so bad about myself for some reason.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yes. Their adaptive fast chargers use proprietary signaling with Samsung devices for charge negotiation.

Lmao jesus christ Samsung. For some reason I thought they were just regular Quick Charge tech.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao jesus christ Samsung. For some reason I thought they were just regular Quick Charge tech.

It's compatible with QC. My Note 7 fast charged off of my Aukey QC 3.0 car charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Quick Charge is proprietary as well.

The big issue is both Samsung's tech and Qualcomm's tech can damage proper USB-C cables.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm so confused now. Am I safe to use a Samsung adaptive fast charger with an A to C cable to charge my Pixel XL or not?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm so confused now. Am I safe to use a Samsung adaptive fast charger with an A to C cable to charge my Pixel XL or not?

The Pixel XL doesn't support QC, only USB PD. Provided the charger doesn't do something stupid like try to feed high current to an unsupported device, you should be fine (with a 56k resistor cable)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A potato can be used as a safe charging source fyi

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

The Pixel XL doesn't support QC, only USB PD. Provided the charger doesn't do something stupid like try to feed high current to an unsupported device, you should be fine (with a 56k resistor cable)

Because I have accessories from 2 Note 7s including chargers and A to C cables I'd really like to use them.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because I have accessories from 2 Note 7s including chargers and A to C cables I'd really like to use them.

I've been charging my Pixel XL with one of my Samsung adapters with no issues. It just isn't fast charging.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've been charging my Pixel XL with one of my Samsung adapters with no issues. It just isn't fast charging.

Yeah that's fine. This whole cable debacle I find very confusing and the only thing I've been doing with any degree of of confidence is checking Amazon reviews thoroughly before buying something.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah that's fine. This whole cable debacle I find very confusing and the only thing I've been doing with any degree of of confidence is checking Amazon reviews thoroughly before buying something.

Basically, chargers that are not poo poo, and are also affordable, and use USB-A ports, are easy to find. Use that with an in-spec USB A-C cable (these have a 56k Ohm resistor in them and are easy to find these days), and you're good.

The problem with Type C comes from the fact that Type C cables can support a ton of poo poo, and no one seems to have figured out how to make a reliable Type C cable that can do all of it. Likewise, no one seems to have built a Type C charger that supports USB Power Delivery properly within spec. That's it in a nutshell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The big issue is both Samsung's tech and Qualcomm's tech can damage proper USB-C cables.

Oh for gently caress's sake

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And I've been using the Choetech wall charger and Tronsmart car charger that they rated as -3 on my 6P for months. JFC.

Silver lining is that my 6P still appears to be fine so far. Now to spend another $60 or so to replace everything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I do need to get a C to C cable and I'm so scared.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just buy the Apple or the Anker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My skin burns if I touch an Apple product so I will get the Anker.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

My skin burns if I touch an Apple product so I will get the Anker.

Lol

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I ordered a battery pack last week based on that spreadsheet curated by Nathan K...now it's nowhere to be found on the spreadsheet. That doesn't bode well.

I wish I'd set up a notification for when changes were made.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I ordered a battery pack last week based on that spreadsheet curated by Nathan K...now it's nowhere to be found on the spreadsheet. That doesn't bode well.

I wish I'd set up a notification for when changes were made.

According to this review, the A-C cable it comes with is out of spec - which isn't a good sign for the C-C cable either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

anakha posted:

According to this review, the A-C cable it comes with is out of spec - which isn't a good sign for the C-C cable either.

Yeah, I saw that and so I'm not using either of the cables that come with it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What happened to my LG G-4? It went through a software update and hasn't left the loading screen in the last 24 hours, burning down the battery. I took everything apart, put it back together and it still does the same thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do I get my Audible app playback settings back onto the lock screen with the Nova Launcher?

The app itself has that checked, but it's not showing up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aliquid posted:

What happened to my LG G-4? It went through a software update and hasn't left the loading screen in the last 24 hours, burning down the battery. I took everything apart, put it back together and it still does the same thing.

LGs die with a symptom called "bootlooping". Welcome to it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Now that the Pixel is on the market all the other phones are taking their chosen routes to suicide, be it the ol' Thich Quang Duc route with Samsung or the Howard Hughes route with LG.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is terrible

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
The Android Thread - this is terrible

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Pbx9mvWPY

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Aliquid posted:

this is terrible

I'm sure it won't work but you can try booting into recovery and wiping the cache. Sometimes, rarely, that fixes boot problems.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Try freezing or baking your G4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Amazon should make a USB cable/charger testing suite themselves, since apparently USB-IF isn't up to the task. Plug it in, publish a little graph of pass/fails on the store page, become the only stop for USB-C with confidence.

This is a dumbass statement for many reasons, I'm sure.