Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'll use in game voice if people are chill and using it but the vast majority of games are either dead silent voice wise or you have someone losing their loving mind/doing bong rips each death/have an open mic while listening to music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Jarogue posted:

Doesn't PS + have this thing where if you don't renew your subscription you lose the free games? I remember using the free 1 month trail and got Jet Set Radio but after I decide to not get PS+ they replaced the full game with the demo and said that I need to buy it if I wanted to play the full game.

Basically yeah. If the PS+ subscription lapses all those free PS+ games are still on your account but you can't play them unless you re-sub.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Whoops sorry about that. You know what I meant though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't want game chat. I want party chat, to chat with my friends regardless of what games either of us are playing and easily coordinate with each other if we want to do the same thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Takoluka posted:

Based on what I've read, the entire point is to provide a NES/SNES game with online enhancements, and providing only one game a month that's only for that month would, presumably, encourage everyone to play it together. If you got, say, Super Bomberman one month but didn't play it for half a year, you'd probably go into online lobbies and find them completely empty. Alternatively, if it's only available for one month, everyone's like "Yo, I gotta get in on this Super Bomberman online." I think that's the idea behind it, which I'm totally on board with.

Settle down Patty Hearst

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only game I've played on PS4 were people were using voice chat was the one time I checked out GTA Online. A couple twelve year olds were running around spamming rocket launchers at the other people on the server and screaming obscenities at anyone that dared retaliate. "gently caress YOU human being I WAS RELOADING YOU SHITHEAD gently caress OFF" kind of poo poo.

Never heard it once in Overwatch, but then again I only play pub matches.

[Edit: Oh right I forgot about the voice chat a guy was doing during an Online Heist. He was talking in an obviously fake British accent and asking all sorts of personal questions about me and what it was like living in America. I mean, it's was a pretty good troll I guess, but... yeesh. gently caress public voice chat.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 16, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dr Cheeto posted:

Platinum made a bad game?

Transformers wasn't bad but it was overpriced, but then it was free recently on PS4 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Transformers wasn't bad but it was overpriced, but then it was free recently on PS4 so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still better than Ninja Turtles, which was bad AND overpriced.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Casual Overwatch also lends itself well to playing without a mic because of all the auto call outs and poo poo like that. The game already handles like 75% of the stuff you'd want people to be saying on mic and it's a lot more consistent about it. A good communicating team will have an advantage but not to the degree that you'll see in COD or whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

lelandjs posted:

The only game I've played on PS4 were people were using voice chat was the one time I checked out GTA Online. A couple twelve year olds were running around spamming rocket launchers at the other people on the server and screaming obscenities at anyone that dared retaliate. "gently caress YOU human being I WAS RELOADING YOU SHITHEAD gently caress OFF" kind of poo poo.

Never heard it once in Overwatch, but then again I only play pub matches.

[Edit: Oh right I forgot about the voice chat a guy was doing during an Online Heist. He was talking in an obviously fake British accent and asking all sorts of personal questions about me and what it was like living in America. I mean, it's was a pretty good troll I guess, but... yeesh. gently caress public voice chat.]

You forgot about the ten year olds who were going into the strip club with a hot mic and telling the video game stripper all the body parts they could see.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Close thread until next announcement

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's pretty standard for games of its scope.

Sad isn't it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Technically speaking, using an outside program is still technically preferable for me the majority of the time. Running it on another device just gives me a better feeling of reliability. Plus I can talk to people outside of the game's context too, if I want.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Sad isn't it?

I find it reasonable

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

orphean posted:

Basically yeah. If the PS+ subscription lapses all those free PS+ games are still on your account but you can't play them unless you re-sub.

So what well happen to the games if they stop supporting online with PS3 and you can't re sub anymore. I'm pretty sure a lot of the good games haven't been moved to the PS4 PSN yet.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

You forgot about the ten year olds who were going into the strip club with a hot mic and telling the video game stripper all the body parts they could see.

:stonklol: My god, I never even considered entering a strip club in GTA Online. I can't even fathom how disgustingly hilarious it would be.

I've seen videos of the horrifying Second Life dance clubs, though (a friend of mine used to be a Second Life dancer for the lols/in game items).

She got a MLP pony avatar out of it, and that's when I cut her off from telling that story/showing me video evidence of said avatar.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

WaltherFeng posted:

So according to some sources BotW will run at equal frame rate on both versions.

I guess that means I'll get to play the game with my Bayonetta 2 home entertainment system.

Same. Switch and it's peripherals are pricey with no punch at launch.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm a big fan of Rocket League's chatbinds and how they obviate any need for voice comms even if you want to talk trash. Nintendo seems pretty bent on not having a text box in the corner of the screen which I think is why they're sticking with only two chatbinds.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jarogue posted:

So what well happen to the games if they stop supporting online with PS3 and you can't re sub anymore. I'm pretty sure a lot of the good games haven't been moved to the PS4 PSN yet.

You can resub on the web, don't need to have a PS3 to do that. It's a Sony-wide thing, not just for one console.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

1) Then... they'll apply it to the ones that *are* multiplayer? I'm sure they can find 12 games across two systems over the course of a year.
2) Splatoon was made BETTER by the lack of voice chat. Also, honestly, I feel like there's a peace of mind is never having to say "ESRB rating doesn't apply to your squid game if you play the main part of it."

Having no voice chat in random matches is okay, but I skype with my friends when I play and it's better. That the tech is already in the gamepad and that there's no chance of random "12 year olds" appearing on my team is actually pretty irritating that I have to default to skype to enable voice chat.

You should be able to chat with friends, in games

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Takoluka posted:

Based on what I've read, the entire point is to provide a NES/SNES game with online enhancements, and providing only one game a month that's only for that month would, presumably, encourage everyone to play it together. If you got, say, Super Bomberman one month but didn't play it for half a year, you'd probably go into online lobbies and find them completely empty. Alternatively, if it's only available for one month, everyone's like "Yo, I gotta get in on this Super Bomberman online." I think that's the idea behind it, which I'm totally on board with.

This is what I said earlier in the thread, but someone called me an idiot. Because you'll buy the online version of Super Smash TV only to discover that nobody is playing it when you want to at 2am six months form now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Real hurthling! posted:

Close thread until next announcement

Honestly, considering most information is revealed randomly outside of announcements, this doesn't make sense at all

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

shave and a harelip posted:

You can resub on the web, don't need to have a PS3 to do that. It's a Sony-wide thing, not just for one console.

I ment like how the PSP online is shutdown, What will happen when PS3 shutdown as a whole and you are unable to use the online at all.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I wanna get a switch but this thing better have fuckin miiverse

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

trash person posted:

All first party Xbox games are coming to PC as well.

So basically there is zero reason to get an Xbox One.

I program all day; the last thing I want to do is touch a PC when I get home.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Consoles are pretty much PCs though. So is your phone.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Andrast posted:

Consoles are pretty much PCs though. So is your phone.

Might as well not use any technology ever agrees congress.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol if you think the company that still doesn't have it's online poo poo together in 2017 is going to provide you with a decent public lobby system for a SNES Bomberman ROM. Assuming they ever even do that in the first place.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

man nurse posted:

I wanna get a switch but this thing better have fuckin miiverse

They already said it won't

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Might as well not use any technology ever agrees congress.

I'm glad we agree (and the congress too)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jarogue posted:

I ment like how the PSP online is shutdown, What will happen when PS3 shutdown as a whole and you are unable to use the online at all.

Probably the same as the PSP.

"Content can still be purchased for the PSP online at the PlayStation Store's website. Previous purchases made on the handheld will also remain accessible via the PSP's downloads list, and in-game purchases will also be supported."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol if you think the company that still doesn't have it's online poo poo together in 2017 is going to provide you with a decent public lobby system for a SNES Bomberman ROM.

I'm imagining some kind of Nintendo nightmare system where lobbies are all private and represented by room codes (akin to Friend Codes) that only the host can see and distribute.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I imagine 10000 rooms named BOMBERMAN 1V1 FULL UPGRADES but they are all hosted by bots, warcraft3 style

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

did you guys even play Splatoon and MK8 online because that poo poo is gravy

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

deadwing posted:

turkey gravy or beef gravy - this is important.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

deadwing posted:

Did you play SSB4?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TaurusOxford posted:

turkey gravy or beef gravy - this is important.

Cajun chicken

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I pc game all day. Can I have your programming job?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mill Village posted:

I pc game all day. Can I have your programming job?

Sure; so long as your pc gaming let's me live comfortably with a family of 4!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Jimmy Hats posted:

It's pretty exciting!

I'm still banking on the idea that Nintendo is drip-feeding pre-orders but we'll see. It'd be nice if Gamestop told us what their total allotment was.

My friend manages a store, and they were originally going to get 32 preorder slots, but it got cut to 18. Fairly certain larger stores will have more slots. There are 7,117 gamestops across the world, so we're looking at a minimum of ~128106 - 227744. Which... isn't very many, so the 'drip feeding pre-orders' thing sounds plausible. Of course, this is totally neglecting other stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Did you play SSB4?

Yes I played the game that came out before my two listed games that Nintendo learned lessons from

• Locked thread