Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

whoops I guess not, sticking with faris then

Rain is a 6* full breaker that has a universal buff if you dont happen to have one. He's great for a free unit, better than Faris by a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MohShuvuu posted:

whoops I guess not, sticking with faris then

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Rain is a 6* full breaker that has a universal buff if you dont happen to have one. He's great for a free unit, better than Faris by a lot.

He's got a combined Cheer/Focus AND Full Break which means he's a GREAT support unit, possibly freeing up a slot for DPS.

On a somewhat related note, Trey isn't terrible. With two of his Firewall materia he gets 40% to all elemental resistances and +60 ATK. He learns Barrage and a Lancet Bladeblitz attack. Better than Artemios possibly, certainly more survivable.

This may not be revolutionary for established players, but if you're newer and don't have many good units, Trey is nothing to sneeze at.

634, 188, 308, have 10 slots available after purging Goons inactive for over a week.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I forgot to mention it in my last post, but in the interview reddit translated they also mentioned no plans to buff Noctis to the JP version. Global and JP are going to remain distinct in that regard, they referred to JP noctis as the "prototype".

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CyberLord XP posted:

Cecil
Cloud Of Darkness
Exdeath
Gilgamesh
Refia

Would level Bartz as well for the synergy with Refia.

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: ^^ :argh:

That's your 5. Put moogles in to getting Gilgamesh's genji glove for dual wield if you don't want to TM grind him, Zidane, and others.

Thanks! Now for the next question: What order should I slowly get them to 6* in?

Bonus Question: Should I drop someone for Rain, since his 6* is coming?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I've finally started seeing some Doublicorns on my runs. I think that he should be called 2-maize instead.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ratmtattat posted:

I've finally started seeing some Doublicorns on my runs. I think that he should be called 2-maize instead.

Yesterday I got 5, and another one popped up at 3:30AM when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. Today? None.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I've seen 1 out of the 40 runs I have done on Pro. I haven't tried expert yet considering Pro can be challenging occasionally.

With a 5* maxed crew, he wrecks my poo poo. Hits everyone for 9999 with shellga, protectra, cheer and focus up. Popped 100 lapis to continue after I got him to 3/4 health with some thundagas.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
That's his thing he always hits for 9999, you have to dodge tank him or kill him in one/two turns, please don't use lapis on continues.

He's meant to be tough I suppose, it's why they mention using Escape or smoke screen if you cant handle him.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Make that 2...

Yea I don't have all that escape or mirage tank stuff. I've been playing for 1 month. I mean I put the mirage vest on her but she doesn't pull enough attention to save the day. So I just gave up.

I only used a continue that time because I had knocked him down QUICK to 1/4 left so I knew I could blow him out again, and I was on battle 3 of 4.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Prompto seemed like an excuse to have a weak looking Cloud in the game.

Then of course we find out he has the back story of him too...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hagie posted:

Make that 2...

Yea I don't have all that escape or mirage tank stuff. I've been playing for 1 month. I mean I put the mirage vest on her but she doesn't pull enough attention to save the day. So I just gave up.

I only used a continue that time because I had knocked him down QUICK to 1/4 left so I knew I could blow him out again, and I was on battle 3 of 4.

You get Golem on the second island and Provoke is one of its 1*-available skills. :colbert: The Mirage Vest is honestly the harder part of that equation to acquire.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

That's a negative on Golem ghost rider...

Just skimmed Charlotte and her ability tree, then looked at Golem's skill tree and nada.

I only see Brace, Stone, and Protect as 1*

hagie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Provoke is a tier 2 golem ability on one of the corners of the grid

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
New JP rankings http://altema.jp/ffbe/bestunit-1311

Tank: Cecil down to 5th, WoL and Wilhelm sharing 1st :psyduck:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Seems to be prioritizing the ability to guarantee ability targeting that both WoL and Wilhelm have.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

New JP rankings http://altema.jp/ffbe/bestunit-1311

Tank: Cecil down to 5th, WoL and Wilhelm sharing 1st :psyduck:

And Charlotte up top with 'em.

Man, they love handing out top rank tanks like candy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tipme posted:

That's his thing he always hits for 9999, you have to dodge tank him or kill him in one/two turns, please don't use lapis on continues.

He's meant to be tough I suppose, it's why they mention using Escape or smoke screen if you cant handle him.

my doofus 3* jack with no gear tanks doublicorn just fine, the trick is to notice that it spawned and not just hit repeat and cast two thundagas at him to start the fight instead~ just put mirage vest and golem on whoever your most useless unit is, presumably an event currency one. since doublicorn doesnt attack until he's been damage you can use mirage vest and provoke to tank him. if you want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE any tank that can get 100% with provoke will do it too i guess.

i was looking at the wiki to check out how sick my new cerius was and i noticed snow has a 6* form! i had no idea. i sorta want to max him now just so i can have some variety in my tanks for no particular reason but he seems worse than 6* rain so that might be a waste i guess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

On a somewhat related note, Trey isn't terrible. With two of his Firewall materia he gets 40% to all elemental resistances and +60 ATK. He learns Barrage and a Lancet Bladeblitz attack. Better than Artemios possibly, certainly more survivable.

This may not be revolutionary for established players, but if you're newer and don't have many good units, Trey is nothing to sneeze at.

i slapped killer bow, tiger mask, a hyper wrist, that new artifact and two of treys TMs on him with a 10% attack TM too and he's got like a mid 300s attack. anyone who doesn't have a 6* dps or is new can get all of that stuff easily and do the same and have a pretty strong unit. haven't looked at his attacks to see if any of them are actually good nukes but since he's got barrage he's still fairly useful. he's a great unit for a new player, provided they pick up his ability during the event

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Pulled a Seven today. She's pretty bad for a 6*, right?

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Skyridge posted:

Pulled a Seven today. She's pretty bad for a 6*, right?

This entire banner ranges from horrible to kinda bad. Next week is better(if it is type 0 2nd banner as everyone thinks).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

weirdly even though ace doesnt seem great i saw him up near the top of the mages chart in japan up there. i am sure, much with everything the answer is "this character got insanely good enhancements" he'd definitely be a bummer compared to pulling a noctis but i think his skills are fun

to more directly answer the "seven is kind of bad" question she's sort of got hybrid abilities and none of them are outrageously good so she's sort of hard to build and will never get as much out of whatever you give her as a straight up physical attacker or magic attacker will. her abilities have not been as fun, although she does get focus so she could probably fill in as a support in some capacity. definitely disappointing for a 6*

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Quick noob question. How do you send a message when requesting friends? Don't want to get rejected friend requests from you guys cause I look like a random.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I just noticed the only character I have with provoke is Faris...4* level 21. Do I put her in on that rare chance, with the mirage vest? I have a feeling she would get trounced after the 1st volley if it didn't wipe the other mobs.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

hagie posted:

Make that 2...

You should see if you can buy some smoke bombs, you can buy them from the town of Marlo or Ordol Port. You can make them too. Using one is the same as the Escape skill, and lets you skip an encounter.

odinson posted:

Quick noob question. How do you send a message when requesting friends? Don't want to get rejected friend requests from you guys cause I look like a random.

Tap Friends in the lower right, tap Send Gifts, tap in that area where it says "Let's work together" and change it to something Goony.

Also maybe change your friend unit, if you're the Rank 8, level 10 Rain with the default message in my pending folder? The odds of a person of such low rank getting matched up randomly is kind of low, I figure it's a Goon.

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
poo poo, I had maxed Farris and was working on her still - Rain is now better also should I swap her out? My team right now is Elza, CoD, Faris, Exdeath and Refia. I have Cecil or Charlotte I could use as tanks and Kefka or Bartz as a couple other options - should I swap any of those for Faris, start leveling up Rain to put in (I haven't leveled him at all) or just keep her?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Mrit SA posted:

This entire banner ranges from horrible to kinda bad. Next week is better(if it is type 0 2nd banner as everyone thinks).

Well Ace is #4 Mage JP, so that's something. :haw:

Also really glad I got 2x Agrias seeing her rigth up there with OnionDude, Cid and the gang.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can just have everybody defend 4 times and the doublehorn will leave, as long as no one attacks

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ace does a solid chunk of magic damage, his problems are his unreliability and lack of elemental coverage for chaining. Once he gets enhancements, his big nuke (Tri-beam Laser, which starts out as Meteor in an ability hat) gets the capability of getting the highest multiplier in the game...randomly, of course. Even at its worst, though, its always Meteor-strength and gets a tri-imperil.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Do the non-spell magic abilities eventually outpace dual-casted Meteor and Ultima and stuff?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Skyridge posted:

Do the non-spell magic abilities eventually outpace dual-casted Meteor and Ultima and stuff?

Usually not, unless it stacks or has iteration boosts ala Dark Fina's Dystopia. Tri-laser is a fringe case because you have a 10% chance of having a 22.5x multiplier before the SPR-piercing. (For the record, Ultima is 2.8x usually.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I realized my Ramza was almost max level and want to use him on my team. Right now I've got Dark Cecil, Paladin Cecil, CoD and Rosa. The last slot is usually filled by exdeath but gets swapped out for bonus units during events. Would Ramza serve better than CoD even though he doesn't get armor break?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its funny just how strong enhancements can make a character. Eileen was a good base 5 but no insane like some of the other ones. Her enhancements are making her track higher than onion knight right now.

Lightning actually started to track worse after her enhancements because they werent as strong.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wiki says we are getting Jake from the Zoldaad story this week. He looks really useless, even more so that a typical free story unit.
https://exviuswiki.com/Jake

https://i.imgur.com/6jtzG3a.gifv

But if it's true, maybe we can interpret this to mean that the rest of Zoldaad is getting unlocked? Usually we don't get the new freebie unit till the island is completed, right?

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 16, 2017

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Hey, I got my first Rainbow crystal since the first Lightning banner! Is it finally my time for something good? Don't get your hopes up Palleon, but maybe it's something usable and new...

gently caress my life.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
^^^^ That's loving awful

Edit: in other news, how does Dystopia work? Is it just consecutive castings? Does it apply some kind of stealth debuff that increases damage? Can I do other stuff in between? If I bring multiple DF into battle, will it reach it's max multiplier faster?

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 16, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I'm trying to figure out if I should make room for Rain in my party. Right now I've got Noctis, DFina, CoD, Cecil, and Refia. I'm thinking I could probably sub him in for Refia for most stuff since I have a rez and curaja covered. I know my current party is plenty strong, but the min/maxer in me can't help but wonder.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
You have Noctis, you don't need Rain.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Is 6* Garland best with the second doublehand boost, or does dual wield give more of a benefit?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
He eventually gains +100% ATK on his native Doublehand, so it would seem like it would be a waste to ignore that and put Dual-Wield on him.

Edit: For quick reference:

Doublehand Garland
173 Base
+150% Passives & Materia (2x 30% ATK & 1 20% ATK)
53 Ifrit
204 Equipment (120, 10, 14, 30, 30)
+150% Doublehand (equipped)
=995.5 ATK

Dual-Wield Garland
173 Base
+150% Passives & Materia
53 Ifrit
204 Equipment (120, 10, 14, 30, 30)
=689.5 ATK (twice)

Which works out to 991,020 for Doublehand and 950,820 for Dual-wield, causing Doublehand to come out ahead.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 16, 2017

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So since this event has started I've seen one Duplicorn.

I'm still trudging along though and will likely have everything I want and can go back to running my macro 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I was going to ask if they stealth reduced the rates actually, I saw like 8 of them the first three days of the event, and 0 the past two days.

• Locked thread