Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

At what point in the game is Sleeping Table? I'm just at the September 5th boss. Junpei you idiot :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah they were talking about the optional bosses. My bad for not making that clearer.

And I'm playing FES. I got P3 and 4 off PSN.

It's probably too late for this but I'd really recommend playing P3 Portable and P4 Golden instead. The improvements are many and major and feature significant additional story content, such as the entire female main character route on P3. And you can control your party members.

I remember you have eyesight problems but if you get a PS Vita TV you can play these on the big screen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

thorsilver posted:

It's probably too late for this but I'd really recommend playing P3 Portable and P4 Golden instead. The improvements are many and major and feature significant additional story content, such as the entire female main character route on P3. And you can control your party members.

I remember you have eyesight problems but if you get a PS Vita TV you can play these on the big screen.

I honestly think that P3P vs P3 FES is kind of a tossup. P3P has the possibly better social links for the female character and the ability to control all of your characters, and some other improvements, but I found the whole "navigate by menu" thing kind of bland compared to actually walking around. P4 Golden is definitely the definitive edition of P4 though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
please don't recommend p3p if it's their first modernish persona game, Play p3p later on since that game benefits well from a 2nd playthrough really well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lack of crappy n64 models moving around isn't that big of a deal. the cutscenes are a little lowrent but not any worse than you'd find in like, neptunia or whatever. and its the only game with a female protag.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

irlZaphod posted:

At what point in the game is Sleeping Table? I'm just at the September 5th boss. Junpei you idiot :argh:

Tartarus floor 135.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 16, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
PS tv cost like 50 bucks and plays golden and most jrpgs on the vita

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

PS tv cost like 50 bucks and plays golden and most jrpgs on the vita

...I'm dumb. I had no idea the PSTV was its own thing. I thought it was some weird attachment or accessory for the Vita.

So I could get PSTV and play P3P and P4G? It's too late to do this month but maybe next month.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

its the only game with a female protag.

Sounds like someone's not positive thinking.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Playing as the male protag in P3 is the only way for me to date Fuuka so male is superior by default

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

...I'm dumb. I had no idea the PSTV was its own thing. I thought it was some weird attachment or accessory for the Vita.

So I could get PSTV and play P3P and P4G? It's too late to do this month but maybe next month.

Yes, PS TV would work fine for them. Don't forget to buy a memory card or bundle since it doesn't come with one originally :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

please don't recommend p3p if it's their first modernish persona game, Play p3p later on since that game benefits well from a 2nd playthrough really well

Recommending the P3 version without FeMC or player-controlled party members is pretty drat stupid. They can just do a second playthrough of P3P if they want, instead of making them play FES and then P3P.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alder posted:

Yes, PS TV would work fine for them. Don't forget to buy a memory card or bundle since it doesn't come with one originally :v:

Yeah I'll definitely make sure I get the Bundle off Amazon. Thank you.

Anyway, about playing P3FES vs. P3P, FES has this epilogue in it, right? I mean, isn't that canon? Shouldn't I know about it? I know opinions on it seem conflicted but if I like the game or its characters half as much as I'm supposed to, I'd want to experience it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Answer loving sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the things that happen in the FES epilogue are mostly really stupid and take away from the plot of Persona 3, minus some decent characterization for Yukari and an explanation of where Elizabeth went, but the latter is addressed in P4 anyway and Yukari's already the most fleshed out character in the game, she doesn't really need even more piled on top of that. It also doesn't really even add that much, plot-wise. You get an explanation for something that really didn't need explaining, you spend 20 hours climbing tartarus again but with more annoying bosses, and it gives the world's worst explanation for why Evokers are shaped like guns. That's about it.

Even if it's nagging at you, the answer's gameplay is so lacking that I'd say just read a let's play or something.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Good music tho

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It has like two songs that are good/memorable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think it adds two songs period

FES and The Darkness, right

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heartful Cry also

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Heartful Cry, otherwise known as the best song in the game.

E: oh, beaten

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i enjoyed the answer, fight me

heartful cry's remix for p4a was extremely good btw

same with battle for everyone's souls

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

boy are my arms tired posted:

i enjoyed the answer, fight me

heartful cry's remix for p4a was extremely good btw

same with battle for everyone's souls

I did too. It was questionable storywise but the way they actually set up boss fights with groups that covered their respective weaknesses was a nice change from base P3's "Here are three copies of the same rear end in a top hat shadow, good luck".

Also Metis was really fun to use in battle.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I liked the answer and the development it gave to Yukari was neat. I love watching characters digress to previous bad behavior when something terrible happens, it makes them more whole rounded? good stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gently caress it, I'm just gonna play FES because if I don't even like that why would I spend all this money for the PSTV and stuff. If I do like FES, I'll play P3P and P4G.

Seems simple enough to me.

Although, I do have a question. I already have a DS3 and DS4 controller. Do I need a memory card for the PSTV? I could just b uy the hard copies of P4 and P3P.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You need a memory card to play P3P, you can't use the UMD with the PSTV.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

You need a memory card to play P3P, you can't use the UMD with the PSTV.

Fair enough, thank you. I hope 8GB is enough. 16GB is another $20 or $30 and 32GB is, haha, not doing it. $100 for a memory card?

EDIT:
Looks like it's actually $70 but still, no way.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough, thank you. I hope 8GB is enough. 16GB is another $20 or $30 and 32GB is, haha, not doing it. $100 for a memory card?

EDIT:

The 32GB is closer to $50 but memory card prices went up the last few months. I have 16Gb and it's enough really but I would like to eventually upgrade to a 32GB.

Answer is super boring.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

8GB should be enough for both games, I remember having to delete everything off my original 4GB card that came with my Vita because of P4G taking up all the space.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Sony's memory card prices have been consistently lovely since they made the psp

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

EDIT:

Depends how much you'd use your Vita and what for, but 8GB should fit P3P and P4G no problem. P4G is ~3.3GB and P3P is 1.1GB. Slightly bigger memory card may be worth it if you'll be wanting to put more stuff on your Vita, but if those two are all you want, 8GB will do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I've pretty much done nothing except play Persona 3 and breathe since my last post in here. I think it's safe to say I like it.

As such, a PSTV and Persona 4 Golden are in my future. It will be interesting to judge for myself whether this game or P4 is better. Seems to be a pretty big debate among the JRPG nerds I know.

Boss music is really loving catchy in this game. I could listen to it forever. Also Mitsuru is my fave.

So I have been trying to up my Academics rank for Mitsuru because an NPC said she liked people who studied... I'm Rank 3 with Academics and Charm. Is that going to go anywhere? Also is there no more efficient way to gain Academic points than studying? I had to neglect Tartarus and my S Links for about two weeks straight to get it up one rank.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 18, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Whatup, Persona 3 playing friend.

I started it ages ago but I keep playing it in patches for no real reason. Maybe this time I'll actually continue playing it.

Mitsuru owns during All Out Attacks. My actual fave is Koro-chan :woof:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have been trying to up my Academics rank for Mitsuru because an NPC said she liked people who studied... I'm Rank 3 with Academics and Charm. Is that going to go anywhere? Also is there no more efficient way to gain Academic points than studying? I had to neglect Tartarus and my S Links for about two weeks straight to get it up one rank.

You can visit the library to boost Academics during school days when you're not in the dorms otherwise you'll need to just study all the time. Try staying awake in class and donating at the shrine too.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The P3/P4 talk in this thread made me want to play P4G again...and I couldn't find my Vita last night. Was very sad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I've pretty much done nothing except play Persona 3 and breathe since my last post in here. I think it's safe to say I like it.

As such, a PSTV and Persona 4 Golden are in my future. It will be interesting to judge for myself whether this game or P4 is better. Seems to be a pretty big debate among the JRPG nerds I know.

Boss music is really loving catchy in this game. I could listen to it forever. Also Mitsuru is my fave.

Academics can also be increased by answering questions in class and by watching certain films at the cinema. Neither of those cut into Tartarus time iirc.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

The P3/P4 talk in this thread made me want to play P4G again...and I couldn't find my Vita last night. Was very sad.

Every time I get this hankering I give up around halfway through the 2 hour intro. Great game with a sloooooow start.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the slow start is good

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doflamingo posted:

Every time I get this hankering I give up around halfway through the 2 hour intro. Great game with a sloooooow start.

P4:G adds a ton of QoL like a fast-forward button for cutscenes. It helped me out on my 5th PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alder posted:

P4:G adds a ton of QoL like a fast-forward button for cutscenes.

This feature has been there since Digital Devil Saga. :v: