Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Well, given the fact that these turrets weight in at a whopping 1400 tons, bolting them down wouldn't really help if the ship capsizes, they would likely rip out the decks.
On Bismarck 's wreck all the turrets have fallen out after she made a turn along her axis after sinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, it makes sense, it's just a weird image (to me at least) that the turret's not anchored to anything. I logically know that if the ship is turned upside down you've got much bigger problems than your turrets falling out, but it just seems wrong that the main thing differentiating a battleship from a very strangely designed freighter isn't actually bolted on anywhere.

:shrug: The containers on freighters aren't bolted down either. They fall off fairly often.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And then you need a retired treasure hunter to dive and retrieve them

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

As the Hong Kong representative of the thread, I wonder why was it taken by the Japanese so early both in history and this game?

The history education on my side of the Earth is pretty mess up as you may imagine, so please feel free to enlighten me. :)

The original British plan was to build a line of around 200 pillboxes along the ridges north of Kowloon (called the most British name ever - the Gin Drinker's Line). It was estimated that 6 battalions could hold this line for at least 6 weeks while waiting for a relief force to arrive.

In the end, only half the pillboxes were built, and when the Japanese invaded, only 3 battalions were assigned to defend the line. Instead of holding out for months, the line folded in 24 hours.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not as embarrassing as "Fortress" Singapore, though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Also IIRC they had pitiful air support, little to no artillery support and the brass was feeding the troops such amazing things as the Japanese couldn't fight at night because their eyes were too small to see if the dark (or at least the Canadians were told that....)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also IIRC they had pitiful air support, little to no artillery support and the brass was feeding the troops such amazing things as the Japanese couldn't fight at night because their eyes were too small to see if the dark (or at least the Canadians were told that....)

Well, the British should never have lost Singapore in the first place, but god drat if colonialist racism isn't completely terrifying.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The primary defence against the Japanese in 1941 was a bunch of dudes with colonial moustaches loudly proclaiming that "they're not going to be stupid enough to attack the British Empire".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Although in their defense, I seem to recall the Brits were busy with some other European affair at the time. Can't quite recall what it was.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mantis42 posted:

Although in their defense, I seem to recall the Brits were busy with some other European affair at the time. Can't quite recall what it was.

Singers was so important to the British Empire that it should never have been left so poorly defended. It's loss was one of the worst military disasters of WWII.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Well, the British should never have lost Singapore in the first place, but god drat if colonialist racism isn't completely terrifying.

This was Hong Kong I was talking about. No Canadian troops were at Singapore.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, it makes sense, it's just a weird image (to me at least) that the turret's not anchored to anything. I logically know that if the ship is turned upside down you've got much bigger problems than your turrets falling out, but it just seems wrong that the main thing differentiating a battleship from a very strangely designed freighter isn't actually bolted on anywhere.

Early attempts at permanently securing the turrets to the ship that unfortunate effect of breaking things whenever the turret fired, it was better to have the turrets 'floating' so there was a small bit of isolation between the hell the guns were unleashing and the ship structure that didn't enjoy being distorted. Even then BB's had damage repair teams whose job was to run around repairing and straightening the things damaged by their own guns firing.

It was also a good idea for the turret to be easily removed due to their tendency to break, wear out and attract enemy fire.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Still it must have been hell of a bother when you pulled them boats to the shore to store them upside down for winter and the turrets fell off. :sigh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hong Kong was doomed for much the same reason that the Philippines (and to a lesser extent Singapore) was: it was completely underneath the pre-war IJA/IJN air umbrella, such that they couldn't ever be resupplied or reinforced.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Still it must have been hell of a bother when you pulled them boats to the shore to store them upside down for winter and the turrets fell off. :sigh:

C'mon, you don't leave everything inside the boat before you flip it. This is basic stuff.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I'm feeling these improved torpedoes.

Make that two battleships!

Cheating bombers.

I messed with our CAP setting a bit here.

We also hit a troopship.

We need to see about hunting down those battleships! I shall send out a Butai!

We continue even on ships sunk – points wise, we are well ahead today!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nvm, edited it in with the 13th

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 16, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nvm, edited it in with the 13th

Yeah, forgot to mention That! 12'th is a few posts up!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm feeling these improved torpedoes.

Considering how useless US torpedoes are in the early stages of the war, is there any reason why an Allied player should use their American subs at all for the first two years or so?

It seems that a viable, if horribly gamey, strategy would be to only use the Dutch (anyone else?) subs and their working torps to begin with and keep the US sub fleet locked safely away in Californian ports until BuOrd have had the gently caress kicked out of them and poo poo is fixed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Considering how useless US torpedoes are in the early stages of the war, is there any reason why an Allied player should use their American subs at all for the first two years or so?

It seems that a viable, if horribly gamey, strategy would be to only use the Dutch (anyone else?) subs and their working torps to begin with and keep the US sub fleet locked safely away in Californian ports until BuOrd have had the gently caress kicked out of them and poo poo is fixed.

Reconnaissance?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Japanese ASW sucks though, at most you might lose a couple subs, but it doesn't really matter cause they're lovely subs and the US then just shits out submarines in 43" onwards.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Experience is always good.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the IJN sucks pretty bad at sinking US subs early in the war so there isn't that much risk. In my current US game I still haven't lost a single one as of July 1942.

The deck gun still fucks up solo merchants and you do still get occasional hits with the lovely torpedoes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We see more skirmishing in the air.

Rangoon is still a target.

The bombers start making runs on our troops.

Our men in New Caledonia march a hex south.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 18, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM WHEN DID THE JAPS INVENT TIME TRAVEL TO MAKE THE 16TH HAPPEN TWICE RR THE WORLD WONDERS

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
By the way, for the readers, the bad allied torpedoes have their dud rate reduced by 10% starting in 1943 (The absolute numbers aren't published in the manual as far as I know). In 9 months all torpedoes drop to a mere 10% overall dud rate.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM WHEN DID THE JAPS INVENT TIME TRAVEL TO MAKE THE 16TH HAPPEN TWICE RR THE WORLD WONDERS
I love that this isn't even the first time someone's referenced that famous message in this thread. (Though at least this time there shouldn't be any inadvertent probations.)

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
Grey-Verse experiencing some temporal anomalies, that's two 16th's in a row!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's actually something of a debate among Japanese players regarding the possibility of using the Kido Butai against Manila on Dec 7th, rather than against Pearl Harbor.

On the one hand, striking at Manila will almost certainly yield more dead subs and ships, and places the KB in a better position to support landings and operations in the DEI.

On the other hand, you're mostly killing subs, which some people regard as not being worth the ordnance if they're going to have lovely torps anyway.

But then the counter-argument is that you'd still be preventing some non-zero amount of sunk shipping from the ~10% of torpedo shots that do hit and explode, especially compared to hitting BBs which wouldn't be coming anywhere close to a combat situation for most of 1942 anyway. And besides, striking at Pearl Harbor without the historical result means you're probably going to get less than the historical result.

Proponents of the Pearl Harbor strike would then say that BBs are worth more points, and are invaluable coastal bombardment platforms for the amphibious assaults that the Allies are undoubtedly going to be making, so crippling some of them, even if only for a year or so, is still valuable. Further, the lack of BB action in 1942 comes from the fact that most of those BBs are in drydock from their Pearl Harbor strike damage in the first place - if you don't strike at Pearl, then who knows if the Allies actually will use them aggressively?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I love that this isn't even the first time someone's referenced that famous message in this thread. (Though at least this time there shouldn't be any inadvertent probations.)

For us ignorant, what message?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_world_wonders

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS

Someone got probated in the last thread because of full-caps text.

edit: this is the best part of the wiki article

quote:

Recognizing his failure, Halsey sulked in inactivity for a full hour while Taffy 3 was fighting for its life—falsely claiming to be refueling his ships—before eventually turning around with his two fastest battleships, three light cruisers and eight destroyers and heading back to Samar, too late to have any impact on the battle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For a guy with the nickname "Bull," Halsey was sure a sensitive motherfucker.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For a guy with the nickname "Bull," Halsey was sure a sensitive motherfucker.

Dude starts crying and goes drat near catatonic because of some security padding. I can think of very few examples of people with thinner skins.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Crazycryodude posted:

Dude starts crying and goes drat near catatonic because of some security padding. I can think of very few examples of people with thinner skins.

The first part of the padding was removed before it got to him, but not the second. Halsey thought the message was a direct rebuke from Nimitz, a man not known for personal insults. Considering the massive emotional whiplash he'd just gone through (On the verge of triumph over the infamous Japanese carrier fleet to being responsible for what was quickly appearing to be the greatest disaster in US Naval History), I can understand being a bit upset.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Failed admiral Nimitz disses me! Will go down in history as INCOMPETENT FAILURE! Sad!

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 18, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Taffy 3 getting mauled by pesky IJN! Only I can fix!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The first part of the padding was removed before it got to him, but not the second. Halsey thought the message was a direct rebuke from Nimitz, a man not known for personal insults. Considering the massive emotional whiplash he'd just gone through (On the verge of triumph over the infamous Japanese carrier fleet to being responsible for what was quickly appearing to be the greatest disaster in US Naval History), I can understand being a bit upset.

yeah but like, do your loving job instead of sulking like a child

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our planes fly into a massacre.

The AI has decided this is today's priority target – the perils of having your ships set on torpedo runs!

Really?

So many planes destroyed on the ground.

Their B-17's are more accurate than my Bettys!

Plane losses are spiking!

This is one of those eternal battles.

We keep on the grind.

The road to Kunming is open.

So many lost planes, but at least we are making progress in China. I'm taking a crack at Efate with some guards units. Recon says the place is lightly defended – but we'll see.

The Tromp may have been sunk. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

@realCLTromp tweeted: "The liberal Japanese intelligence is reporting me as sunk. They can't even keep track of a single ship properly. SAD!"

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 18, 2017