Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I can't imagine Howard is too happy towards the whole situation in general. After all, its his clips that are being used now that everybody is looking into Trump's past. That must be one hell of a situation to be in: 'congrats, you're now getting attention on a national level because the president just showed how big of a freak he is on your show and people are putting together the pieces slowly.' No wonder he's not taking a stance one way or another. Imagine this happening during the talent show days.

Next up: Ronnie Mund leaves Sirius.

Yeah, yeah, whatever, du.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Pretty sure Scott is a health thing. They mentioned a week or two back that he was "not in today" and obviously missed the death pool, so I think he has been out since the break. Last year there was a conversation (can't remember about what) and he mentioned he could use extra cash due to health issues in his household. Howard said he knew what Scott was talking about, but they dropped it there.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Regarding politics, Howard did say last year that he wanted Bloomberg to run so Howard could vote for him over Trump or Hillary.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Pretty sure Scott is a health thing. They mentioned a week or two back that he was "not in today" and obviously missed the death pool, so I think he has been out since the break. Last year there was a conversation (can't remember about what) and he mentioned he could use extra cash due to health issues in his household. Howard said he knew what Scott was talking about, but they dropped it there.

Also Artie mentioned something about a staff member who is very sick on his podcast.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Didn't Scott have COPD?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Scott was just in the studio like last week....

Come on guys

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, that's why I had to ask where did that rumor come from. That's almost like Sal or Richard leaving the show and nothing being said about it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Lifespan posted:

It's a family cousin.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Just saw a two minute trailer for a new Judd Apatow show on HBO called "Crashing". Looks like Artie is a major co-star on the show.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

an adult beverage posted:

Just saw a two minute trailer for a new Judd Apatow show on HBO called "Crashing". Looks like Artie is a major co-star on the show.

Yea he got written in a lot. Originally he was just on for the pilot but I guess things went well and according to him he's in almost every episode.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

So I'd never seen video of Jackie crapping in the Stanley Cup but I did and boy how far has Howard come since then mentally? So the reality was Jackie didn't crap in it but he did take it to the bathroom and they squirted one of those pudding packs into it. Jackie brought it back in, Howard took the Cup (mind you people have undoubtedly poo poo/pissed in it as well as hosed, eaten, and drank out of or into it) and without hesitation scoops out two fingers worth of pudding and gulps it down.

I'd be somewhat shocked if today's Howard would even touch the Cup much less ever eat something out of there.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Evil Agita posted:

I can't believe that's true. That'd be super lovely even for stern... unless he got fired from someone above howard for crashing the party for Sirius bigwigs.

What's this?

Crotch Bat posted:

On a different note it's been known that super agent Don Buchwald hosed up enormously when HTV didn't get renewed but I just learned that it's essentially the reason Howard 360 will never be a thing. What happened is there was a line in the HowardTV contract that said if HTV is not renewed then Sirius immediately takes ownership of broadcast rights and Buchwald missed it and they didn't notice it until it was far too late.

I get an irrational amount of enjoyment out of this, particularly since there's a fair number of shady doings going on over at Buchwald and Associates.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

What's this?

I get an irrational amount of enjoyment out of this, particularly since there's a fair number of shady doings going on over at Buchwald and Associates.

I'm just amazed they let this slip, especially since the last few years of Howard's career have been mostly about getting into a visual medium in some way. Do they work over there or just take vacations like the show does?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Was the HTV money separate from what Sirius was already paying Howard? If so, kind of a dick move to take 90% of the money. No wonder the production values were so crappy.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'll make a total assumption based off nothing since I'm not an agent but it wouldn't shock me if Buchwald is just the face these days and hasn't read a contract in many years. I'm sure there's a few attorneys or whatever that are probably fired by now whose job it is/was to read these contracts with a magnifying glass and they just glossed over it. Although at the same time that makes the least sense because a younger guy probably doesn't make that mistake but the geezer schmoozing agent does.

Either way you know Howard had to be fuming over it. It was an enormous deal for him when CBS took his tapes so you know he's pissed at losing like 20 years of video.

haljordan posted:

Was the HTV money separate from what Sirius was already paying Howard? If so, kind of a dick move to take 90% of the money. No wonder the production values were so crappy.

Yes. Goodstein and others weren't Sirius employees, they were Howard's. Goodstein reported directly to Howard himself.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ah so all of Howard's "I don't control the money!!" talk was pure bullshit in that case. I feel like an enormous amount of money was wasted overall. I laughed pretty hard when the show first started on satellite and they had like, seven "reporters" on staff. Even paying them peanuts, I'm sure that was a lot of cash overall.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 16, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bonzo posted:

Didn't Scott have COPD?

I think Gary the Retard had either COPD or emphysema. I remember him coming on the show once with an oxygen tank. :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That Ronnie the Limo Driver hypnotism sketch had me loving rolling. I really want to believe it was real and that Ronnie's gonna be uber pissed off about it. Someone help me out and tell me it wasn't a set up.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I was listening to an old clip on YouTube and I was wondering if some of the older fans in the thread might know the answer to this -

In this clip, KC gets goofed on because he did a promo that involved the word So Cal and he kept pronouncing it Social - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fdp-pr8P4

During the promo, KC kept saying he was from "Southern California's number 1 radio show". Howard remarks that they have to say that, because they are not allowed to call it the Howard Stern show. What is all that about?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I was listening to an old clip on YouTube and I was wondering if some of the older fans in the thread might know the answer to this -

In this clip, KC gets goofed on because he did a promo that involved the word So Cal and he kept pronouncing it Social - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1fdp-pr8P4

During the promo, KC kept saying he was from "Southern California's number 1 radio show". Howard remarks that they have to say that, because they are not allowed to call it the Howard Stern show. What is all that about?

I don't know about that specifically. I do remember there was some coastal fooforaw about the name "K-rock", because LA's KROQ felt they had a stronger claim to the name than New York's WXRK, and they couldn't say "K-rock" in Stern-show commercials for the LA market.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

That Ronnie the Limo Driver hypnotism sketch had me loving rolling. I really want to believe it was real and that Ronnie's gonna be uber pissed off about it. Someone help me out and tell me it wasn't a set up.

NPH came in right after and said he thinks it is fake and Howard defended it fully. I'm a skeptic too, but there is no way Ronnie is that good of an actor or would let himself consciously talk about what he did. I for one want happy Ronnie to be a full time studio personality.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Stage hypnotism is 100% fake. There's no secret mumbo jumbo you can say to someone to make them say or do what you want, it's just a complicit act between the hypnotist and the people on stage and it gives people the chance to do stuff that's perhaps out of their norm with the "excuse" that they were hypnotized. You either go along with it or you don't but when people are yanked up in front of an audience they don't want to look like a dick and not do anything so they just go along with it. It's suggestive peer pressure.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 16, 2017

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Eh boring nm!

Finndo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

I don't know about that specifically. I do remember there was some coastal fooforaw about the name "K-rock", because LA's KROQ felt they had a stronger claim to the name than New York's WXRK, and they couldn't say "K-rock" in Stern-show commercials for the LA market.

I'm pretty sure it's just that Howard doesn't want him promoting his orange county events using Howard's name/the Show even if it's for the radio station he was on in LA.
KROQ was owned by the same company that owned WRXK, it was strictly a top 40 radio station though - Howard was on KLSX (which is what this promo is from.)

Nice!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just that Howard doesn't want him promoting his orange county events using Howard's name/the Show even if it's for the radio station he was on in LA.
KROQ was owned by the same company that owned WRXK, it was strictly a top 40 radio station though - Howard was on KLSX (which is what this promo is from.)

Nice!

Jesus, how incredibly petty of him.

The fact that he even allowed any of that block party poo poo to happen in the first place must be a sign that he has relaxed in his old age.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, Gary being oddly racist about Jamaican Meat Patties on the Wrap Up show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow, Gary being oddly racist about Jamaican Meat Patties on the Wrap Up show.

Oh god, what did he say?

Jamaican meat patties are delicious.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh god, what did he say?

Maybe tomorrow we'll hear: "Hi, this is Gary Dell'Abate..."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

Maybe tomorrow we'll hear: "Hi, this is Gary Dell'Abate..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW4TC9ceSB4

Edit: Aw, poo poo, this isn't the one I wanted. They talked about it back in the Billy West days, but I can't find that on Youtube. :eng99:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

"No REAL pizza place would sell Jamaican meat patties."
"They just don't belong there."

Also shows you how long it's been since Gary actually walked the streets of Manhattan.

Edit: "Why have I never heard of them until this morning?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Also shows you how long it's been since Gary actually walked the streets of Manhattan.

Wait, well... does he mean like a typical, hole-in-the-wall, greasy but delicious little ol' italian pizza place?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ralph had also never heard of them, either.

We don't have that many Jamaicans in Boston, but you can get patties at any convenience store that has hot food (including 7-11), and even the little kiosks at most of the subway stations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ralph had also never heard of them, either.

We don't have that many Jamaicans in Boston, but you can get patties at any convenience store that has hot food (including 7-11), and even the little kiosks at most of the subway stations.

What are these patties, anyway? Are they like burgers, but Jamaican?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

prefect posted:

What are these patties, anyway? Are they like burgers, but Jamaican?

It's basically an empanada.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A meat pie made with ground beef, jerk spices and breadcrumbs. The pastry varies a bit from light and flakey to stiff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

A meat pie made with ground beef, jerk spices and breadcrumbs. The pastry varies a bit from light and flakey to stiff.

For anyone who hasn't had these, they are (or at least can be) super loving intense. The place around the corner from where I work sells some jerk chicken, and I don't think I've ever had anything that hot.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

an adult beverage posted:

It's basically an empanada.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Baba Booey is a repulsive idiot for not liking this kind of thing. :colbert:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I grew up in the US and never heard of or saw them until I moved to Canada.

Anytime I'm in the US now it's through the mid-west/south east (God help me) and I don't see them there either.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Jamaican beef patties are awesome as gently caress and I'll buy em wherever I can get em but how the hell are someone's expectations for what a pizza place serves 'oddly racist' :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beep by grandpa posted:

Jamaican beef patties are awesome as gently caress and I'll buy em wherever I can get em but how the hell are someone's expectations for what a pizza place serves 'oddly racist' :wtc:

I wouldn't be surprised if Booey were offended by non-"Italian" food being served at a pizzeria. They should ask Sal what he thinks -- better chance of getting an honest reply.