Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
When filling in this blank:
I have a temperate difference of ___ degrees between upper and lower levels of my house

What's the cutoff point between 'normal and expected' and 'there something wrong with my insulation/ducts', for dead-of-winter Minnesota?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wukkar posted:

I have a temperate difference of ___ degrees between upper and lower levels of my house

What's the cutoff point between 'normal and expected' and 'there something wrong with my insulation/ducts', for dead-of-winter Minnesota?

This is a big loving problem for older 2 level houses with single furnace/duct systems. Heat rises and it's often impossible to get into any crawl space (because there isn't one!). That's all I got.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

wukkar posted:

Mine is about 3 degrees in the winter, not sure about the summer yet because I just had insulation added in the attic and air sealing done. In a 140 year old solid brick house.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I have a plaster ceiling that isn't quite organized swirls but pretty close in terms of texture. It looks like the previous owners tried to cover up some smoke stains or something with white paint that was too bright and glossy. The section is probably 12" W x 3' ft L

We got flat ceiling paint that Lowe's tinted to match a chip from the ceiling, but its still noticeable. I'm assuming the rest of the ceiling is unpainted plaster, that's why.

If I wanted to replaster that section, is that

a. A smart idea / better than painting the ceiling?
B. Is there variation in plaster tone and Do I need to try and find the type of plaster originally used? It's only a 3 year old house in a development, so I expect it to be pretty standard.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

I have a plaster ceiling that isn't quite organized swirls but pretty close in terms of texture. It looks like the previous owners tried to cover up some smoke stains or something with white paint that was too bright and glossy. The section is probably 12" W x 3' ft L

We got flat ceiling paint that Lowe's tinted to match a chip from the ceiling, but its still noticeable. I'm assuming the rest of the ceiling is unpainted plaster, that's why.

B. Is there variation in plaster tone and Do I need to try and find the type of plaster originally used? It's only a 3 year old house in a development, so I expect it to be pretty standard.

If that is exposed plaster you must paint it. I doubt it is though. You can test it pretty easily, soak a q-tip in water and twist it in a spot on the ceiling. If it's unprimed plaster it will dissolve the plaster. I bet it's flat primer or something similar. Ironically using a chip instead of just a can of "ceiling white" may have screwed you over. Get the purple->white stuff. Painting a whole ceiling doesn't take that long with a roller and a bulk box of 0.3mil plastic tarping. You don't even have to cut in the edges if it's actually ceiling white.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mr. Mambold posted:

If it's low to no pressure, which I'm assuming it is, try smearing silicone all around the joint. Pure silicone, not caulk.

Well the line is my main so there's definitely pressure there, the drip isn't like a crazy spurt or anything. At any rate, I did try some pure silicon and it seems all the handling turned it from a drip to a stream. It was worth the effort though. I've moved on to trying to get some epoxy into that area, but the attempt is definitely imperfect. I couldn't get deep inside it to apply the solvent and epoxy inside the joint, so I had to just kind of run it back and forth from the outside. My final backup is a two-part sealant putty before I have to just rip the whole thing out.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Gounads posted:

I don't really understand why construction adhesive would be significantly quicker.

It's just a bit easier to outsource work to my wife. We can get going pretty efficiently when she lays down a bead of adhesive as I stick the tiles to the wall. It's also just easier to manage your time when you don't have to worry about the thinset drying out and mixing up another batch. Also, my house doesn't currently have (easily accessible) running water or waste right now, so cleanup is a lot easier/quicker.

CoolBlue posted:

Thinset is extremely simple to use, not sure why you wouldn't want to use it?

I'm certainly no tiling expert, but I have laid down a couple small floors and a backsplash using thinset. Using the Loctite to install the thin brick on the fireplace was a much more enjoyable/easy process in my experience. For my wife and I, it was definitely worth splurging the extra ~$30 dollars worth of adhesive as compared to thinset.

Basically, if you take the cost difference out of the equation, and you assume I have no hands with which to work a trowel, is there a reason why I shouldn't use glue? Am I going to need to wear a hard hat in my kitchen?

couldcareless posted:

As a person that did a whole brick facade in a living room using liquid nail instead of thinset, go with the thinset.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it if you were working by yourself or were semi-competent in handling thinset. It worked pretty well to install the brick facade on our fireplace, which is pretty similar to the area we'll be tiling on the backsplash.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nielsm posted:

Ended up filling the hole with bits of larch wood. Supposedly larch resists rot somewhat better than plain fir or pine, so I'm hoping it'll hold up at least two or three years. If not it's no big deal, I can fix it better at that time.

Nice! I'm sure that'll hold great, I'd be surprised if you ever think of it again.

Crazyweasel posted:

If it were a smoke stain, it'd probably be over a wider area... I'd be worried that it could be a water stain from a leaky roof, bad flashing, or pipes. Make sure the spot isn't soft or bowed out from the rest of the ceiling.

I'm assuming you're talking about drywall and not plaster. If so, that's standard and you can just cut out a section, screw a new one on to the joists, tape, mud, and sand. Difficult part would be matching the paint texture swirls.

Nomatter what, you're almost certainly looking at repainting the whole ceiling.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Crazyweasel posted:

I have a plaster ceiling that isn't quite organized swirls but pretty close in terms of texture.

Is it a fish scale pattern that's been painted over 10 times?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

wukkar posted:

Assuming pretty normal design and construction and that the house is not unusually large, I'd say 3-5 is possible with no major mechanical problems. You should check every duct register and make sure that they all supply or return air as expected since that's so easy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wukkar posted:

You know, you can mitigate that somewhat by closing registers. Remember that heat rises, so close off your upper registers in the winter when the heat is on and your lower registers in the summer when the AC is on. The location of your thermostat will affect this method though.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I have the sharp end of a screw coming out of my hardwood floor at an angle and I'm not sure how to remove it. Please advise.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dazerbeams posted:

I have the sharp end of a screw coming out of my hardwood floor at an angle and I'm not sure how to remove it. Please advise.

I assume you can't access the screw head? Because if you could, back the screw out, then fill the hole in with wood-filling putty.

Assuming you can't, use a file or a dremel to wear down the screw shaft. But avoiding damaging the hardwood floor will be tricky, and the screw will probably still protrude a bit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dazerbeams posted:

Oscillating tool

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kid sinister posted:

You know, you can mitigate that somewhat by closing registers. Remember that heat rises, so close off your upper registers in the winter when the heat is on and your lower registers in the summer when the AC is on. The location of your thermostat will affect this method though.

I have natural gas coming in baseboard heaters. I rent, but it looks like the LNG heats up the tankless water heater and then the water warms up the radiators in each room.

Would your method work the same on this kind of setup?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sex swing from IKEA posted:

I have natural gas coming in baseboard heaters. I rent, but it looks like the LNG heats up the tankless water heater and then the water warms up the radiators in each room.

Would your method work the same on this kind of setup?

Possibly, but the problem is that radiators don't adjust as quickly to control changes as forced air. It would probably take you several days to get them adjusted right. That's also assuming that all your radiator valves still function properly and aren't stuck.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is there any way to turn these switches:

Into this combo?:

My electrical experience is limited to replacing fixtures, I've never messed around in boxes before. How difficult would this be?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do you want the switch to control the outlet? Or for the outlet to be always on?

Do you plan on still being able to control the old switches at all?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Do you want the switch to control the outlet? Or for the outlet to be always on?

Do you plan on still being able to control the old switches at all?

I'd like for the two new switches to control the same lights as the old ones. The outlet should always be on. I don't have to have two outlets in this spot, so I'm thinking replacing one of the switches with an outlet/switch combo would be easier.
https://www.zoro.com/leviton-wall-switchreceptacle-5-15r-120v-5225-wsp/i/G2511214/?gclid=CM2msMrTxdECFRBEfgodIlwPTw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Maybe, but you'll need to show us pictures of the wires before we can explain how. And a non-contact voltage detector will help you quite a bit. The short answer is, there is a hot line coming into that box - It goes through the switches, and then up to the lights. That's a given. The question is whether there's a neutral in that box that you can tap into for your proposed outlet.

Also, the switch combo you posted is a double 3 way switch, are the existing switches 3 way?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 16, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
[edit is not quote ]

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I fixed up my main last night using a pair of PVC sleeve connectors that use compression fittings. I had a slight drip out of one, but it was easy enough to tighten it up with a ratchet. I also give my loyalty to the mom & pop store that was still open late Saturday afternoon that recommended the solution and had everything.

My one error is forgetting to shut off my water heater amidst the repair because I have air in my hot water lines now.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is there any way to turn these switches:

Into this combo?:

My electrical experience is limited to replacing fixtures, I've never messed around in boxes before. How difficult would this be?

With that switch, yes. So would your outlet/switch combo idea. You'll need a couple more inches of wire. Luckily it's sold by the foot. Go buy yourself 2 feet of 14-2 NM, a.k.a. Romex. You could probably do with one, but you might screw up. Get a faceplate to match too. The hardest part will be that 3 way switch on the right. As long as you keep track of the wires attached to it before you detach them from the switch, you'll be fine. It will have 3 screws attached to it, with two being the same color and one different.

Do a test first. Turn off that circuit. Did it kill both of the switches in that box?

Slugworth posted:

Also, the switch combo you posted is a double 3 way switch, are the existing switches 3 way?

The one on the right is. You can tell because it has no lettering on it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

The one on the right is. You can tell because it has no lettering on it.
Hey, whaddya know, never noticed that.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Yep the one on the right is a 3 way for the living room ceiling fan (just the light part). Never knew that about the lettering. Here is a picture of the inside:

They are on two different circuits.

EDIT: Also, I do have a voltage tester that has a sweet flashlight on it.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 16, 2017

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
What's the best method for getting the rain from my roof elsewhere? My house doesn't have gutters, and the area I am trying to get the rainwater from doesn't seem like they'd be of much use due to the shape (on he left and right of the front of the triangle stoop.)

When it rains heavy, its pouring down with a lot amounts of water than I can get from a hose pipe, maybe 2~3 the amount. There also is some overhang of the metal in the valley that makes me think that a gutter might not work right there since it'd overshoot it; or splash horribly if one of those corner shields were put there. I'd prefer not to do a rain chain drain -- sorry for the triple word rhyme!

Would any of these to catch rain, and let me run it through piping, either PVC or corrugated elsewhere? One some, like image 4, it'd probably need to be PVC since it doesn't look like it'd support it's weight at a height of about 10 ft. Depending on the amount of rain, that can change the direction of the water -- light rain straight down like | ; but heavy rain is can kind of go side ways like / so something not pretty close to where the water comes off may not work all the time. I don't think I have any pictures of what it looks like raining, but I can try when it does if that helps at all.

I'm thinking something like image #1 or #3 may work the best.

And other details that may or may not help:
1890 built, sheet metal roof that is about 12 years old, 3 ft from the ground to the porch floor, another 10 feet from there approximately to the bottom of the roof (13~15 ft), and then the roof above it catching water is about another 20 or so ft up, so it gets a lot of rain at times.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
#1 and #3 will miss a lot of the water and anyway will block up with tree litter in the first storm. #2 is for a specific situation that you don't have, and #4 is for putting in the ground. That inside corner is a bastard for drainage and the siding, fascia, foundation in that location are all at risk of leaks or water damage. If you hack up some random thing out of spare parts you could easily make it a lot worse. What might work ok is actual gutters, if correctly installed. You might need gutter on the upper roof part as well, to move most of the water away before it even gets to the porch roof.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've got a home buying-related question and I'm not sure where it fits, so my apologies if it's in the wrong spot:

I had a sewer scope done on a house I put an offer on as part of the inspection and it revealed a 1" horizontal offset at one of the pipe joints in the main sewer line and a couple areas of root growth. Since it was just a private inspection the guy wouldn't give me a quote to fix it or even a good estimate of the severity, but so far what I'm getting back from actual plumbers is that they want to run their own scope before giving me any kind of consultation. How do I deal with this when the deadline for inspection negotiations is 2 days from now? Lean on the seller to figure it out and hope they don't say no?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's a significant issue. Replacing the sewer line from house to street is the right solution and that is a solid four figures. Cheapest I've ever seen it done in my city is $3000 - that was the cheapest guy who would actually show up and the whole thing was kinda sketchy. I would expect more like $6-8k for a proper job around here. Maybe more if there is a long yard or fence or whatnot to deal with.

Just counter with a longer timeline so you can get some estimates, or require the seller to get a licensed, bonded plumber to replace the line and repair the yard. Do you have enough cash to cover this if you do it yourself after purchase? If not, you have to get the seller to do it or walk, anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slap me silly posted:

That's a significant issue. Replacing the sewer line from house to street is the right solution and that is a solid four figures. Cheapest I've ever seen it done in my city is $3000 - that was the cheapest guy who would actually show up and the whole thing was kinda sketchy. I would expect more like $6-8k for a proper job around here. Maybe more if there is a long yard or fence or whatnot to deal with.

Just counter with a longer timeline so you can get some estimates, or require the seller to get a licensed, bonded plumber to replace the line and repair the yard. Do you have enough cash to cover this if you do it yourself after purchase? If not, you have to get the seller to do it or walk, anyway.

I do have the money to cover it, but since the home is pretty close to the top of my price range I'm not willing to eat a major repair right off the bat. Thanks for the advice - I'll put it my list for negotiations for them to get a plumber out there.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, if you have the cash you could just knock 10k (or the actual estimated cost including time value of money) off the offer. Then it's a wash as far as your dollars are concerned, and you get to choose the plumber. Of course you also have to deal with the mess then.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I would definitely negotiate closing costs based around that. That's a lot of cash for something that's non optional. If the seller didn't at least lower their asking accordingly I'd definitely walk on the deal. That might be serious enough that your insurance company or mortgage company would require it be completed before they'll sign off on the purchase. A main line backup can be very costly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yep the one on the right is a 3 way for the living room ceiling fan (just the light part). Never knew that about the lettering. Here is a picture of the inside:

They are on two different circuits.

EDIT: Also, I do have a voltage tester that has a sweet flashlight on it.

So, if you're going with the switch/outlet combo, make life easier on yourself and use it to replace the existing regular switch. Wiring it up is pretty straightforward. Use your meter to determine which of those two wires is the hot and which is the leg (the hot is the one that is always energized, the leg is the one that goes on/off with the switch.

The package for the combo device will have a wiring diagram, but usually there's a black screw that your hot goes into. Opposite of that there's a brass screw that your leg goes to. Then there's a silver screw that your neutral goes to. Take a small length of white wire of the appropriate gauge (12 for 20 amp, 14 for 15 amp), connected from the silver screw to whichever bundle of neutrals in that box go up to the light in question.

It will work regardless of which bundle of neutrals you hook it up to, and code allows different circuits to share neutrals in some cases, but I'm not an electrician, and all I know is its better to not share neutrals when you can avoid it. So try to figure out which of those white bundles goes up to the switched light if you can.

(Edit: Also make sure to run a ground wire for your new switch/outlet)

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 16, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slugworth posted:

So, if you're going with the switch/outlet combo, make life easier on yourself and use it to replace the existing regular switch. Wiring it up is pretty straightforward. Use your meter to determine which of those two wires is the hot and which is the leg (the hot is the one that is always energized, the leg is the one that goes on/off with the switch.

The package for the combo device will have a wiring diagram, but usually there's a black screw that your hot goes into. Opposite of that there's a brass screw that your leg goes to. Then there's a silver screw that your neutral goes to. Take a small length of white wire of the appropriate gauge (12 for 20 amp, 14 for 15 amp), connected from the silver screw to whichever bundle of neutrals in that box go up to the light in question.

It will work regardless of which bundle of neutrals you hook it up to, and code allows different circuits to share neutrals in some cases, but I'm not an electrician, and all I know is its better to not share neutrals when you can avoid it. So try to figure out which of those white bundles goes up to the switched light if you can.

(Edit: Also make sure to run a ground wire for your new switch/outlet)

He's got a bigger problem. Those are backstabs. They're known to be a bit... flaming. Basically the spring clamps inside them don't make good connections, creating a gap that electricity likes to jump. Well, electricity creates heat when it does that. I'd replace both switches regardless, or at least remove their wires (insert a small flathead screwdriver in the slot next to the hole to release the clamp) and attach them to the screws next to where they went in. Do them one at a time so you don't lose track of which wire goes where.

I'd just swap the switch on the left too. The neutral he would need to connect to would be that bundle of 3 neutrals together. That white wire on the right actually isn't being used as a neutral. It's being used as a traveller for the 3 way switch. In fact, it should have some electrical tape on it to signify this.

Finally, ground both of the switches. That didn't used to be code for devices in plastic boxes, but now it is. Remember that you can turn any spare wire into a ground if you strip it completely. Also, pay attention to the wiring diagram that comes with the switch/outlet combo. If you accidentally swap the 2 black wires attached to it, you will actually make the switch control the outlet too as well as the light.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 16, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

I'd just swap the switch on the left too. The neutral he would need to connect to would be that bundle of 3 neutrals together. That white wire on the right actually isn't being used as a neutral. It's being used as a traveller for the 3 way switch. In fact, it should have some electrical tape on it to signify this.
Oh yeah, I wasn't referring to the lone white wire, there's just two bundles of white wires in the box, although looking closer one of them appears to have a black wire going into it, so I'm officially in over my head trying to guess what's going on with that one (left side of the box). There's also a lot of white paint in there which isn't helping things a ton :)

And yeah, I hate backstabs. Glad to hear an electrician badmouth them too. Every device I've replaced in my new house so far has been backstabbed, and it just motivates me to keep replacing.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 17, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stupid puma posted:

I would definitely negotiate closing costs based around that. That's a lot of cash for something that's non optional. If the seller didn't at least lower their asking accordingly I'd definitely walk on the deal. That might be serious enough that your insurance company or mortgage company would require it be completed before they'll sign off on the purchase. A main line backup can be very costly.

It's a VA loan and I hear their inspectors are pretty meticulous. I'm not sure if they'll run their own sewer scope but I'll definitely make this info available to them. Here's the offset I'm talking about, btw:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Your sewer situation can be translated as "broken as gently caress".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My girlfriend wants to buy a new bed and mattress, upgrading our Queen to a King

I don't really want to buy a new bed and box-spring and have been tossing around the idea of making my own simple wooden platform

How realistic is it for me to create a large, bread-board/ butcher's block style wooden platform similar to this?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

My girlfriend wants to buy a new bed and mattress, upgrading our Queen to a King

I don't really want to buy a new bed and box-spring and have been tossing around the idea of making my own simple wooden platform

How realistic is it for me to create a large, bread-board/ butcher's block style wooden platform similar to this?

I'd ask here. Are you talking about just the headboard? I think it's technically feasible, but for the quantity of wood you're looking at I'm betting it's going to be expensive. You'll need a bunch of like 6 to 8-foot clamps, a 5-gallon bucket of glue, a couple planes and a lot of sandpaper I think. I'm not a woodworking expert, I just know that people make workbench tops by gluing up a bunch of dimensional lumber so I think larger structures are probably within the realm of possibility. Again I'm betting it's a shitload of time and money. That thread may also be able to come up with a technique to have you make the whole thing out of something sane, then get the butcher block effect in a reasonable fashion just for the visible or surface parts.

For what it's worth, people in that thread do make beds so you can probably window shop just by browsing the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

uwaeve posted:

I'd ask here.I think it's technically feasible, but for the quantity of wood you're looking at I'm betting it's going to be extremely expensive. You'll need a bunch of like 6 to 8-foot clamps, a 5-gallon bucket of glue, a couple planes and a lot of sandpaper I think. I'm not a woodworking expert, I just know that people make workbench tops by gluing up a bunch of dimensional lumber so I think larger structures are probably within the realm of possibility but again I'm betting it's a shitload of time and money. They may also be able to come up with a technique to have you make the whole thing out of something sane, then get the butcher block effect in a reasonable fashion just for the visible or surface parts.

For what it's worth, people in that thread do make beds so you can probably window shop just by browsing the thread.

Yeah, I just came back into the thread to C&P my op into that thread, I'll see if they can help