Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

goodness posted:

If I plan on doing oils eventually should I start with that? That would be better for learning color/blending since they don't dry as fast

I'd start with watercolors then since when they "dry" you can just add more water to re-animate them.

And that bristol mentioned above is great for watercolors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
So I've worked in photoshop for a long while now, but I've been very lazy about approaching vectored graphics and am curious about starting out Illustrator. I've figuring getting a college-textbook that is just chapters of projects would be the obvious route - but I feel like doing that without the instructor resource could get quite frustrating. I'm curious if there is any web class/tutorials that are highly recommended that I just don't know about? :)

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

goodness posted:

If I plan on doing oils eventually should I start with that? That would be better for learning color/blending since they don't dry as fast

So I also recommend building watercolor skills as they make an excellent way to warm up, play with colors, and get unexpected interactions that you might want to transfer over to acrylic/oil works. But I -personally- recommend it mostly if you like to paint outdoor/do field studies. (Emphasis because every painting medium has completely difference aspects to different people.)

However, if you work with lots of fluid extenders, you can start using slow-dry oil techniques on a somewhat smaller scale. Not only this, but acrylic extenders tend to be cheaper than paint and make it go a bit longer (and you can get all kinds, matte, gloss, etc)

Finally, when painting with acrylic (and oil for the most part) I find a hard surface, bust out a tub of gesso and slather it on. Wood, cardboard, posterboard, anything works for studies. If you want to practice a lot, I reccomend going out and finding out about all the kinds of surfaces you can throw paint on and find out what kind you like the most.

I paint quite thin with acrylics to get a specific feel, and like to use smooth surfaces to further the effect. Everybody is different in what the like, but playing with materials is damned fun and you get better at painting while you do it! :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rushi posted:

So I've worked in photoshop for a long while now, but I've been very lazy about approaching vectored graphics and am curious about starting out Illustrator. I've figuring getting a college-textbook that is just chapters of projects would be the obvious route - but I feel like doing that without the instructor resource could get quite frustrating. I'm curious if there is any web class/tutorials that are highly recommended that I just don't know about? :)

Treehouse! I cannot recommend them enough. https://teamtreehouse.com/library/illustrator-foundations They cost money but are worth every penny imo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Depending on where you live your library might offer their courses for free.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rushi posted:

Well,. do you have Creative Cloud? Because if you do, when you open Illustrator, it has built-in tutorials.

So, save money and fire up the software and run their demos/tutorials.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
I'm starting to draw in my free time and it's kind of easy when it's something like a snake because you take it one scale at a time but I want to draw something bigger. What's a good way to add gridlines to a reference picture on my computer? I just have a basic mac and normal pc at the moment with no fancy software.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Haven't tried it but there's this http://www.timgagnon.com/grid/

Apologies if you already know this, but that said, while it's a good exercise in drawing what you see and divorcing yourself from the tricks your eyes play on you, I would recommend also learning to draw by blocking in large shapes and refining them over multiple passes. There will always be exceptions, of course, but drawing piecewise isn't really a great general approach (feel free to do a bunch if it motivates you though!); if you draw everything this way you're essentially training to be a meat camera.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
To add to that, if you don't care to learn how to draw then you could just print the reference out, put some tracing paper on it(or any transparent paper assuming you dont have a lightbox) and just trace the thing out. That would be even easier than using a grid. You won't learn much doing that but you'll get a drawing out of it if that's all you need.

If you are doing it to learn though, definitely follow Argue's advice.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
Thanks for the help guys.

Argue posted:

Haven't tried it but there's this http://www.timgagnon.com/grid/

Apologies if you already know this, but that said, while it's a good exercise in drawing what you see and divorcing yourself from the tricks your eyes play on you, I would recommend also learning to draw by blocking in large shapes and refining them over multiple passes. There will always be exceptions, of course, but drawing piecewise isn't really a great general approach (feel free to do a bunch if it motivates you though!); if you draw everything this way you're essentially training to be a meat camera.

This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for thank you. Also I think I understand what you're saying about large shapes and such and will try to use that approach as well. I've only just started so I'm not too familiar with the different approaches.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is a great manual for observational drawing.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Maybe this would be better suited somewhere else, like the Musician's Lounge, but I am interested in getting some patches made for a band. They don't need to be fancy embroidered ones, just the screen printed canvas type will do. Anyone have any suggestions, places they've used before? Thanks.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Detective Thompson posted:

Maybe this would be better suited somewhere else, like the Musician's Lounge, but I am interested in getting some patches made for a band. They don't need to be fancy embroidered ones, just the screen printed canvas type will do. Anyone have any suggestions, places they've used before? Thanks.

Well, you could go old school punk rock/DIY and get a linoleum block and cut it yourself (in reverse). Then just stamp in ink, stamp on patches.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I missed the Christmas deal for creative cloud, does anyone have a discount code (or do they think another discount will happen again soon?)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
If I wanted to paint baseball cards white so I could draw on them with a pencil, what should I use for that? Acrylic? Gesso? Something else?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pick your primer, though the cards probably dont have much surface to adhere to.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey fellas, I just finished writing a 100,000 word script for a radio drama-esque adaptation of the old CRPG "Fallout" from 1997. It has 3804 lines of dialogue split amongst 174 characters (almost all of which are generic NPC thugs or mutants or whatever, but there are a dozen or so who have between 20 and 40 lines.)

My girlfriend and I do a podcast where we reenact old video games in an audio-only medium. We're almost finished with our first project which was based on Final Fantasy IV and I want to jump right into this one when the first one ends. Girlfriend is a theatre nerd, so she's got a few people who are willing to act, but I'd like as many people to lend their voices as are willing. My question here has more to do with the etiquette of the forums; I've been a member here since before 9/11, but I dropped off for a number of years and things are kind of different now. Would it be okay for me to start a whole new thread dedicated to this, for the purpose of recruiting voice unpaid voice actors, and discussing the project overall? And if I did, where would I do it? Creative Convention? Games? Rapidly Going Deaf? GBS?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
nm

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 13, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I don't know where to put this so I am leaving this here, I was in a stupid bar debate with a "English minor" that insisted that "scored" could be anything but but past tense or past participle. It can't, right? His example was if you do something that affects your credit score that the word becomes future or present tense, my stance is it has been scored, past tense, that it is impossible to use to word without the assumption that the calculation has already been made or will be made which makes it past tense.

Can someone give me an example of using "scored" where an action hasn't already taken place making it past tense/past particle?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I don't know where to put this so I am leaving this here, I was in a stupid bar debate with a "English minor" that insisted that "scored" could be anything but but past tense or past participle. It can't, right? His example was if you do something that affects your credit score that the word becomes future or present tense, my stance is it has been scored, past tense, that it is impossible to use to word without the assumption that the calculation has already been made or will be made which makes it past tense.

Can someone give me an example of using "scored" where an action hasn't already taken place making it past tense/past particle?

The contestants will be scored based on posting skill?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
So uh, how real is the fact that your efforts are worthless at improving at drawing past a certain age? I'm still pretty young, but sometimes I kinda feel like giving up every time I see people my age whose art is a million times better than mine since they've been drawing since they were 4 or whatever.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

rear end posted:

So uh, how real is the fact that your efforts are worthless at improving at drawing past a certain age? I'm still pretty young, but sometimes I kinda feel like giving up every time I see people my age whose art is a million times better than mine since they've been drawing since they were 4 or whatever.

If you're young enough to say that you're "still pretty young", then you should quit worrying and stop comparing yourself with others. There will always be tons of people better than you but also keep in mind that you're the same to a ton of people worse than you. This will be a constant through every stage of life so there's no point in comparing.

Also no, that fact is completely untrue, and I don't know where you even got that idea.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 16, 2017

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Futaba Anzu posted:

if you're young enough to still say that you're "still pretty young" then you should stop worrying and stop comparing yourself with others. there will always be tons of people better than you and worse than you at every stage of life, there's no point in comparing.

also no, that fact is completely untrue and I don't know where you even got that idea.

I believe I read it on some art website where there was some bullshit about neuroplasticity and how it's more effective to improve skills at a young age than later on.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
There's perhaps some data that creative capacity peaks in the thirties (see: all the world-changing creative acts that happen when the artist was 20-30s). Neuroplasticity is a thing, and some people are just naturally gifted, but it's not like you stop being able to learn anything past some point. GW Bush didn't start painting until he left the White House, and he's since turned into a seriously legit painter.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Neuroplasticity is decreased as you age iirc from undergrad psych, but it never disappears. If it did you would be incapable of forming new memories or skills as you age. This is clearly not the case. It's true that leaning new skills is more difficult the older you get, but there is no evidence that suggests you cannot learn new skills past a certain age.

e: What's more, you could make the argument that it might be overall easier to learn new skills the older you are. Previous experience will have given you various mental mechanisms that you didn't have when you were younger. You can use these to more efficiently learn a skill. Thus, even if your brain's ability to form new neural pathways is reduced, you may need to put forth less mental effort in order for it to create said pathways.

Of course I don't know of any studies to support that concept, I'm just extrapolating.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 16, 2017

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

kedo posted:

Neuroplasticity is decreased as you age iirc from undergrad psych, but it never disappears. If it did you would be incapable of forming new memories or skills as you age. This is clearly not the case. It's true that leaning new skills is more difficult the older you get, but there is no evidence that suggests you cannot learn new skills past a certain age.

e: What's more, you could make the argument that it might be overall easier to learn new skills the older you are. Previous experience will have given you various mental mechanisms that you didn't have when you were younger. You can use these to more efficiently learn a skill. Thus, even if your brain's ability to form new neural pathways is reduced, you may need to put forth less mental effort in order for it to create said pathways.

Of course I don't know of any studies to support that concept, I'm just extrapolating.

You know, reading this made me realize that what actually bugs me is "never being able to be as good as those who started early," as if my skills will hit a peak and then plateau from there on. Which, I'm assuming, can be overcome if you work hard enough. If you can yell at me so that my stupid brain snaps out of it I'd appreciate it!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rear end posted:

You know, reading this made me realize that what actually bugs me is "never being able to be as good as those who started early," as if my skills will hit a peak and then plateau from there on. Which, I'm assuming, can be overcome if you work hard enough. If you can yell at me so that my stupid brain snaps out of it I'd appreciate it!

There are people out there who at age 11 will produce work that rivals or even surpasses (in terms of technical skill) people who've also started early and done it their whole lives. There is a lot of individual variation and I'd think that would outweigh any general lessening of plasticity with age. There is a lot we don't know about the brain and it's limits so I'd consider any studies saying something super definite about absolute limits with a grain of salt.

But the fact is there are many artists who started really late, like Van Gogh and Hopper and are now considered to be very good. Also I'd be wary of any historical studies saying that 30 is a peak age when a lot of the old masters (not all though) died pretty young. A lot of art materials are super toxic, and artists don't always have the best living conditions to begin with considering the volatility of the career (or their personalities if you are talking about someone like Caravaggio).

But long and short of it, drawing is absolutely a practiced skill with fundamentals you can learn and develop with time if you put enough energy into it. Consistent and good practice is key. If you want it, go for it. Don't worry about whether or not you have a capacity, it's a useless question because you are already you, unless you can suddenly become someone else why even worry about it?

If you need a justification to justify it, here is one. You are the only person with your set of experiences, background, taste, etc. You are going to produce work that's different from anyone else (even if you just try to slavishly copy one artist, it wont be the same but don't do that btw). So only you can create the kind of work you are going to make and there is likely someone out there who will be really interested in that. So don't compare yourself to others, just learn and grow as best you can. Create the art that only you can create.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

rear end posted:

You can be. In creative mediums the most talented people are always those who are the most passionate, full stop. Even if someone started drawing (or playing the piano, or sculpting) a decade before you, if you are truly passionate about it and dedicate a ton of mental and physical energy towards improving yourself there is no reason why you couldn't catch up or surpass that person. The "well I didn't start while I was young, therefore I'll never be any good," argument is an excuse, an easy emotional response that allows you to feel better immediately. Which is fine of course, our brains do that naturally as a defense mechanism. Being able to recognize it for what it is and then keep working anyways despite any frustration is what separates successful artists from unsuccessful artists.

This is of course all imo, but it's based on plenty of anecdotal evidence and experience from not only myself but the majority of my professors and colleagues.

e: Also, talent does not necessarily equal technical proficiency, or vice versa.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Yep, that is exactly the advice I needed. Thank you all so much :)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

kedo posted:

e: Also, talent does not necessarily equal technical proficiency, or vice versa.

Yeah that is a very good point. Some people are extremely technically proficient but their work is so goddamn boring that it's a complete and total waste.

Being able to create compelling work with the tools you have, is more important than just possessing a particular tool.

Jay W. Friks
Oct 4, 2016

Got Out.
Grimey Drawer
Looking around the forum for a thread that a not so smart guy could understand for posting prose in Creative Convention. Formatting is something I've done in college papers but not on forums on the internet. Any advice?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Jay W. Friks posted:

Looking around the forum for a thread that a not so smart guy could understand for posting prose in Creative Convention. Formatting is something I've done in college papers but not on forums on the internet. Any advice?

There's a fiction farm thread for short stories, rules of the thread are in the first post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798783

For longer ones you'll have to make your own thread but it's less likely someone will read it. If you've done critiques for others though that''ll help get people to read larger work.

Also if you are interested in fiction, you should check out Thunderdome. It's a weekly story competition with prompts and super harsh but accurate judging. If you participate you'll be guaranteed critiques though. That is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803906

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 18, 2017

Jay W. Friks
Oct 4, 2016

Got Out.
Grimey Drawer
Thank you.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have set up a website for my art and I would like to receive donations without the donators knowing any of my personal details.

Is there some way to do this cheaply/for free?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

No Gravitas posted:

I have set up a website for my art and I would like to receive donations without the donators knowing any of my personal details.

Is there some way to do this cheaply/for free?

Pateron? No idea if it's cheap or free but I see it used all over the place so I imagine it might work for you. :shrug:

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking to try to stream or film some miniature painting soon, I was wondering if CC had a good set of resources or advice for continuous lighting setups I can take a look at? Appreciate the help!

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Stupid Photoshop question:

Is there any way to sort of "group" history by layer or by action?

For instance, say I've created a layer mask and am using a lot of clicky-clicky-clicky's to get as near the object as I can with the rest masked, but throughout that process I might make some other adjustments.

Is there a way that I can selectively have History remember what I do? Like, I don't care about it remembering any brush stroke that I'm making when I'm just doing tiny close up detail poo poo with the brush, but I do want it to remember big changes like resizes or movements filters or color/brightness/contrast adjustments and poo poo.

When you start just chiseling away you lose all of the big things you did in the History unless you just save new files constantly but that's a bit unreasonable when it's something you're not sure you plan on going with anyway, but as far as I can tell there's no happy middle ground?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus Christ posted:

Stupid Photoshop question:

Is there any way to sort of "group" history by layer or by action?

For instance, say I've created a layer mask and am using a lot of clicky-clicky-clicky's to get as near the object as I can with the rest masked, but throughout that process I might make some other adjustments.

Is there a way that I can selectively have History remember what I do? Like, I don't care about it remembering any brush stroke that I'm making when I'm just doing tiny close up detail poo poo with the brush, but I do want it to remember big changes like resizes or movements filters or color/brightness/contrast adjustments and poo poo.

When you start just chiseling away you lose all of the big things you did in the History unless you just save new files constantly but that's a bit unreasonable when it's something you're not sure you plan on going with anyway, but as far as I can tell there's no happy middle ground?

I've wanted to do this for years and as far as I know, you can't. I increased the size of my history list by about 500% and that helped a little, at least in terms of being able to go back far enough when making tiny detail brush strokes.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah. Me too. Sometimes I'll make a duplicate file, just so I don't lose other things I've done (filters, adjustments) and do the masking or whatever in the dupe. Then slide it over and trash the dupe. Tedious, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I did a quick once over and didn't see anything about whittling? Any goon opinions on good starter info? I'm looking for a hobby to keep my hands busy and be more mindless but repetitive and focusing.

edit: gonna move this question to the DIY forum instead, but I'll leave it here just in case anyone had any knock out ideas.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 23, 2017