Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I've had insignia televisions for years with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Goddamnit, I get back to the US and Arrival isn't playing in the only theatre up here anymore :mad:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone have the link to the biden really good video handy?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Buca di Bepis posted:

I had a sewer scope done on a house I put an offer on as part of the inspection and it revealed a 1" horizontal offset at one of the pipe joints in the main sewer line and a couple areas of root growth. Since it was just a private inspection the guy wouldn't give me a quote to fix it or even a good estimate of the severity, but so far what I'm getting back from actual plumbers is that they want to run their own scope before giving me any kind of consultation. How the hell do I deal with this when the deadline for inspection negotiations is 2 days from now? Lean on the seller to figure it out and hope they don't say no?

See if you can get the inspection guy to put the inspection video on a dvd and give that to the plumbers.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Buca di Bepis posted:

It'd either be out in the yard or (worst case) under the street in front, since the offset is located at 107 ft along the run. I have no clue if this is a serious potential problem or if the inspector is just being cautious. Here's what he said: "Offset noted in main sewer line at a joint in the pipe at 107 feet. The offset appears to be over 1 inch. This can allow solids or debris to collect in the pipe causing blockage. This can also allow water to seep into the soil causing further settlement."

Isn't that the city's responsibility once it's left the property?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Goddamnit, I get back to the US and Arrival isn't playing in the only theatre up here anymore :mad:

I thought arrival was a pretty good slow burn with an underwhelming ending. But I saw the ending coming quite a ways off.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

its oscar season

look for :files:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've had insignia televisions for years with no problems.

:same:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a 2014 model Samsung smart tv.

The smart tv features are garbage.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The last TV I had was a cathode ray TV. Streaming owns bones and :filez: takes care of the rest.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Turn off smart TV poo poo asap. The ad industry has software that will actively listen to your conversations. We use keywords to trigger ads and track what you're watching and for how long.

This all exists on your phone too but good luck disabling that.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
penis penis penis

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turn off smart TV poo poo asap. The ad industry has software that will actively listen to your conversations. We use keywords to trigger ads and track what you're watching and for how long.

I use my PS4 now for streaming, which is all I ever used the tv for.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, our kitchen renovation turned into subfloor replacement which turned into this place being an uneven as gently caress old house that was owned by grover-kin at some point. Yaaaay home ownership :suicide:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TBeats posted:

I use my PS4 now for streaming, which is all I ever used the tv for.

Still using your tv then.

All that data gets tied up into who you are on the web, mobile, and app. You might not get served ads on tv but you will online and on using phone apps.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When does the phone "listen"?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

When does the phone "listen"?

Passively.

If an agency/client has opted to use the listening software, the microphones will hear everything you say but not store the data (to my knowledge this is the catch here but who knows lol).

So if Chevy has opted for this targeting strategy and the phone hears you talk about the F-150, you'll get served ads for the Silverado.

I should clarify this stuff isn't cheap, so it's not ubiquitous quite yet. I was involved with looking into this tech last year for a campaign. We went in a different direction because of the cost.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This is why I don't get turbonerds freaking out over Windows 10 calling it spyware and poo poo.

There are so many things actively collecting so much more data on you at any given point in time. poo poo, this post is probably going to be used for advertising targeting somehow.

Woof Blitzer posted:

penis penis penis

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kazinsal posted:

This is why I don't get turbonerds freaking out over Windows 10 calling it spyware and poo poo.

There are so many things actively collecting so much more data on you at any given point in time. poo poo, this post is probably going to be used for advertising targeting somehow.

It's all very spooky to me. I mean there's a reason I joke that the advertising industry is not far behind the NSA. A looming development in the next few years will be piecing together a user's past week. The industry wants to know what you did 7 days prior to buying something or viewing a product.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Isn't that the city's responsibility once it's left the property?

Apparently you can have private sewer line going under the city street. The city is only on the hook for the city line.

I do have a YouTube video of the sewer scope that I linked to in my quote requests. I'd hoped that the plumbers would look at it to give me a quote instead of just telling me to pay for another scope to show them the same poo poo.

I don't give a single poo poo about this stuff. Reddit would hate me lol

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does the house have a cement foundation? If they have to bust that up to fix/move pipes you're looking at a few grand just for dealing with the foundation not even counting the actual repairs needed or the costs of trenching up the yard.

Remember one of the most iconic :grovertoot: images involved a sewer repair.

Wow. Grover and his house extension.

That was a riot.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Still using your tv then.

All that data gets tied up into who you are on the web, mobile, and app. You might not get served ads on tv but you will online and on using phone apps.

Sounds like it's pretty unavoidable and I'm going to be served ads regardless. I would rather them be ads based on stuff I'm interested in.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's more or less the point so yea.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
YouTube found a way to gently caress with my ad blocker. Instead of it skipping the ad the video just won't play for 10-15 seconds.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I feel bad for the person that has to dig through my viewing history, I have to be one of the most boring people on earth to track.

Websites I view:
SA
Reddit front page, don't really gently caress with any subreddits besides r/fishing
Twitch
Amazon
YouTube for fly tying videos

Although that would explain why the internet wants me to buy LL Bean waders so badly....:ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

YouTube found a way to gently caress with my ad blocker. Instead of it skipping the ad the video just won't play for 10-15 seconds.

Yeah, this has been going on for a while. loving irritating.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's a reason that cute app that displays dogs on your lock screen requires access to the microphone and your contact list.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's a reason you take a picture of your own dog and put it on your lock screen too.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I just don't have a phone.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TBeats posted:

Godholio posted:

Yeah, this has been going on for a while. loving irritating.

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated <-- turn off Ads Personalization. That fixed it for me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
WOAH. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry HollyBloops.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Apparently you can have private sewer line going under the city street. The city is only on the hook for the city line.

I do have a YouTube video of the sewer scope that I linked to in my quote requests. I'd hoped that the plumbers would look at it to give me a quote instead of just telling me to pay for another scope to show them the same poo poo.

I don't give a single poo poo about this stuff. Reddit would hate me lol

This happened to me more or less. USAA homeowner insurance covered the resulting disaster - we basically told our contractor, "this is your loving fault, so you can get paid by insurance to fix it and do it this way, or we find someone else and figure it out ourselves."

Between a very naive initial home inspection before buying, and a very naive choice of contractor for renovations (this was a foreclosure), I have crossed a million things off my bucket list under the heading "starter home".

gently caress, I wasn't even actively working during the year it got dealt with, and I thought I was going to lose my mind at several points.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
For the longest time I kept trying to convince google I was a young gay jewish man and was trying to get ads for that demographic but I somehow failed.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey is a sports coat or blazer appropriate with slacks when an invitation requires "business formal" or am I pretty much just going to have to get my suit tailored?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bengy81 posted:

Hey is a sports coat or blazer appropriate with slacks when an invitation requires "business formal" or am I pretty much just going to have to get my suit tailored?

Yeah if you're a pleb it is

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Business formal means suit and tie. Sorry Charlie.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just show up wearing whatever you want man. This is America.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Oh my word that would suck having to break out the street to fix a broken line or a bad clog.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Mambold posted:

Oh my word that would suck having to break out the street to fix a broken line or a bad clog.

A friend of mine had this happen.

His basement flooded with sewage and it cost him like $9000 to have it fixed including digging up his yard to get at the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm legit kicking myself for not switching to USAA from Farmers for insurance.

e. My parents had a silver maple screw up their line from the house to the city sewer back in the early 90's.

Was not a pretty sight or smell.

• Locked thread