Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OutsideAngel posted:

Yes, yes it does. Props to the crew behind those fake commercials, especially.

N'thing better off dead. I still try to shove in Veridian Dynamics into any business class I take.

Midnight diner: Tokyo stories Netflix original about a late-night diner. Each episode is a stand alone episode revolving around a customer. It's a perfect mix of comedy/drama/sometimes surreal and extremely charming.

Edited to add its subtitled Japanese if that matters to anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

best bale posted:

N'thing better off dead. I still try to shove in Veridian Dynamics into any business class I take.

Midnight diner: Tokyo stories Netflix original about a late-night diner. Each episode is a stand alone episode revolving around a customer. It's a perfect mix of comedy/drama/sometimes surreal and extremely charming.

Edited to add its subtitled Japanese if that matters to anyone

Its pretty great. The manga is one of my favorites, and the tv series does it complete justice. Great Characters, stories, and the food always looks pretty tasty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is actually hilarious and good. Its trailer and marketing made it look like unfunny trash, good I tried it out against my initial impression.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You have no idea how shocked I am to be enjoying Andy Samberg cavort on a network sitcom. It changes everything. Was 'Everyone Loves Raymond' also secretly great?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Palpek posted:

drat, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is actually hilarious and good. Its trailer and marketing made it look like unfunny trash, good I tried it out against my initial impression.

S4 kind of sucks, but everything up to that is gold.

Also, The Last Man On Earth is surprisingly great.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The X-Files is still good stuff, if you haven't seen it by now. At least until season 8.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Watch Super. It's on netflix.

I tried and failed to come up with a compelling summary of the plot and reasons that I love the poo poo out of this movie. The bad description is it's a gritty story where a disturbed odd man becomes a super hero to save his wife from the man she left him for. He takes it too far, realizes he has, then takes it too far again and it has some of the most compelling introspective in a super hero movie since The Incredibles.

It's nasty and tackles some uncomfortable subjects head-on and I love it.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

I marathoned Limitless on netflix. I'm usually not into these types of crime/drama shows, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Kinda bummed there might not be a season 2 :(.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It Follows just showed up on netflix and everyone should watch it if you want a good movie that is also pretty scary.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A Series of Unfortunate Events went live and I thought the first season was pretty great.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's real good. Also it makes me want to watch Dr. Horrible again.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

a kitten posted:

It Follows just showed up on netflix and everyone should watch it if you want a good movie that is also pretty scary.

Yea, this is a pretty creepy movie. Would also recommend.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

A Series of Unfortunate Events went live and I thought the first season was pretty great.

This has pretty decent production values for a kids show, too - the casting is impeccable but the art direction is also great. It reminds me a lot of Pushing Daisies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

food court bailiff posted:

This has pretty decent production values for a kids show, too - the casting is impeccable but the art direction is also great. It reminds me a lot of Pushing Daisies.

Not necessarily a kids show, that's limiting the scope - NPH has described it as a "4 Quadrant show" or something like that, which means it is aimed at all 4 demographic age brackets simultaneously, not just aimed at kids but people who grew up with the books, or that read them to their kids.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I blew through A Series of Unfortunate events and really enjoyed it. I liked all of the actors they picked to play the characters, which I didn't think I was going to do because I'd watched the movie recently (which I love).

The only gripes I have are with the guy that plays Lemony Snicket, Patrick Warburton - as much as I like him it's impossible to feel like Joe from Family Guy isn't telling me the story. He just has such a distinct voice. It's also either a coincidence or they tried really hard to have the girl that plays Violet in the show look like the girl that plays her in the movie.

I've never read the books but unless I'm misremembering, the show is out of order from the movie. i.e. The wedding scene is the finale of the movie but it's shown in the first couple episodes of the show. Which is more accurate to the timeline of the books?

Also the banker is infuriating how he never listens to the kids or discounts what they say because they're kids, even though they've been right multiple times, especially in regard to Count Olaf.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's way more accurate than the movie. The Wedding was the climax of book one, and oh my god if you thought that was a climax wait until series 2 and 3 :P

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Sort of a derail, but I sort of want to recommend if you have a device that can play it to download the Pluto TV app for just tuning in on something random. Unlike other streaming services that let you pick your shows, this one lets you just pick a channel and it will be streaming a schedule of programming on it. (So, like flipping channels on live TV)

So far it seem free, no commercials and has an odd amount of variety once you get to their TV and Movie channels. I think 1-2 channels is almost exclusively MST3K content, you have a ShoutTV channel, a drive-in movie channel, a horror channel, etc. It does sort of have issues because you can't rewind or FF, but on the other hand its sort of great for flipping through and finding some interesting content.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sort of a derail, but I sort of want to recommend if you have a device that can play it to download the Pluto TV app for just tuning in on something random. Unlike other streaming services that let you pick your shows, this one lets you just pick a channel and it will be streaming a schedule of programming on it. (So, like flipping channels on live TV)

So far it seem free, no commercials and has an odd amount of variety once you get to their TV and Movie channels. I think 1-2 channels is almost exclusively MST3K content, you have a ShoutTV channel, a drive-in movie channel, a horror channel, etc. It does sort of have issues because you can't rewind or FF, but on the other hand its sort of great for flipping through and finding some interesting content.

Sounds interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I blew through A Series of Unfortunate events and really enjoyed it. I liked all of the actors they picked to play the characters, which I didn't think I was going to do because I'd watched the movie recently (which I love).

The only gripes I have are with the guy that plays Lemony Snicket, Patrick Warburton - as much as I like him it's impossible to feel like Joe from Family Guy isn't telling me the story. He just has such a distinct voice. It's also either a coincidence or they tried really hard to have the girl that plays Violet in the show look like the girl that plays her in the movie.

I've never read the books but unless I'm misremembering, the show is out of order from the movie. i.e. The wedding scene is the finale of the movie but it's shown in the first couple episodes of the show. Which is more accurate to the timeline of the books?

Also the banker is infuriating how he never listens to the kids or discounts what they say because they're kids, even though they've been right multiple times, especially in regard to Count Olaf.

I thought Warburton was a good pick because while he has a distinct voice he doesn't talk with the same style as Joe, or Brock, or The Tick. While he voice is very much him I never feel like he's just talking the same if that makes sense.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pluto is neat. It's fun to just flip through and watch random old shows.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Len posted:

I thought Warburton was a good pick because while he has a distinct voice he doesn't talk with the same style as Joe, or Brock, or The Tick. While he voice is very much him I never feel like he's just talking the same if that makes sense.

I would be down for Tick narrating anything though.

FWIW I liked Warburton in the show but I wouldn't be able to pin point why except I just like the sound of his voice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

a kitten posted:

This movie is tapping into serious fears/nightmares I had when I was very young that I had outgrown and forgotten about.

I'm halfway through and this is the first horror movie to legit scare me in a long time. I love it.

E: the second half it gets more predictable and less scary. Still good movie, recent stuff considered.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jan 18, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It was mentioned on the last page but Better Off Ted is on Netflix, including the two unaired episodes. You may notice people with the Veridian Dynamics tag (like mine) still around from the show. It was a great show with a terrible name, funny and sincere, with perfect casting. The has a frenetic pacing of little jokes and clever moments (Linda in particular is adorable) and is really worth a watch.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is it just my perception, or is Penny Dreadful really, really, a women-focused show?

I can't precisely articulate why, but I watched one season and strongly felt that as a 36yr old straight male I am not even slightly the target demographic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

... felt that as a 36yr old straight male I am not even slightly the target demographic.

I got that vibe just from the promos.

In other news, watched ep1 of Travelers (netflix) and it's good. Feels like a competent Continuum ripoff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is it just my perception, or is Penny Dreadful really, really, a women-focused show?

I can't precisely articulate why, but I watched one season and strongly felt that as a 36yr old straight male I am not even slightly the target demographic.

Well it has an awesome woman doing a lot of the heavy plot lifting with a bunch of sexy men having sidequest adventures between her important witch plot :P. Sounds like a reversal of the usual methodology.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finished up Netflix' Travelers and drat, it is outstanding. Premise is that a future entity called The Director sends trained agents back to the 21st century to avert various catastrophes that nearly wipe out humanity. The agents work in cells with little contact with other cells except when necessary for The Mission. Travelers is the story of one particular team leader (Will from "Will and Grace") with a habit of pissing off The Director and doing things his own way.

The season ends on an intense and somewhat annoying cliffhanger.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've been watching Haters Back Off recently and it's really hilarious while also being abrasive enough that its 2 star rating on Netflix is completely understandable. If you could stomach Napoleon Dynamite, give it a try.

It also stars the guy who plays Todd in the Grinder, which is a decently funny sitcom, also available on Netflix.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wormil posted:

Finished up Netflix' Travelers and drat, it is outstanding. Premise is that a future entity called The Director sends trained agents back to the 21st century to avert various catastrophes that nearly wipe out humanity. The agents work in cells with little contact with other cells except when necessary for The Mission. Travelers is the story of one particular team leader (Will from "Will and Grace") with a habit of pissing off The Director and doing things his own way.

The season ends on an intense and somewhat annoying cliffhanger.

I liked Travelers a bunch, tried to watch Continuum because I wanted more of the same, and hoo boy is Continuum's first season a stinker. I'm 4 or 5 episodes in and I think I'm going to give up on it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

food court bailiff posted:

I've been watching Haters Back Off recently and it's really hilarious while also being abrasive enough that its 2 star rating on Netflix is completely understandable. If you could stomach Napoleon Dynamite, give it a try.

It also stars the guy who plays Todd in the Grinder, which is a decently funny sitcom, also available on Netflix.

That show is pretty great.
The main character is truly horrible to everyone around her and unknowingly self-destructs all the time.
It's an awkward middle-america comedy like Nepoleon Dynamite except the main character is a deluded narcissist.
In the few times she internally reflects, it delivers with gravity.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Twerk from Home posted:

I liked Travelers a bunch, tried to watch Continuum because I wanted more of the same, and hoo boy is Continuum's first season a stinker. I'm 4 or 5 episodes in and I think I'm going to give up on it.

It doesn't get better. I liked the first couple seasons though. The plot meanders.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime and it's really good so far. Bryan Cranston is in it and is writer/producer. Giovanni Ribisi is the lead

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if it was this thread, but I'm really glad someone recommended Better Off Ted. I skipped past it for the entire time it was available on Netflix (probably because I thought the name was dumb) up until a few weeks ago after reading that it was good. And it really is. It's got a great witty sense of humor and it's always fun to rip on corporate America. I've only got a few episodes left, it's too bad the show only made it two seasons. I guess I'm not the only one that didn't give it a shot because of its dumb name.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Feb 1, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Better off Ted was great. So many funny shows get cancelled.

I started rewatching Lost, first time my family has seen it. Holds up. First time I've seen it since it originally aired and I didn't realize how early they introduce many key themes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Please Like Me is a pretty fun quirky drama/comedy show that I didn't even know existed a week ago. It starts off with the main character being dumped by his girlfriend, followed by him realizing that he is gay, panicking about the reality of anal sex and then him having to move back into the family home because his mother just attempted suicide. And this is all shown in a pretty light comedic atmosphere somehow. I'm enjoying it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of shows that people didn't give a chance because the name was dumb, Don't Trust The B in Apartment 23 is fantastic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of shows that people didn't give a chance because the name was dumb, Don't Trust The B in Apartment 23 is fantastic.

It's one of the best sitcoms of the last decade but I feel like it really was already losing steam by the second season. What's available is still incredible and I recommend it to everyone, but it's not a show where I feel it needed a lot more seasons.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dawson is great in this

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mentioned it a little before but Sneaky Pete is really good. Bryan Cranston is in it more than I thought he'd be and everyone else in the show is really great. Can't recommend it enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Going to recommend The Path again for all you Hulu havers. S2 just started. Too bad it's not on Netflix where it could get more eyes. It deserves a better "network".