Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

Richard Deitsch is also weird creep.

wait are you skip bayless that would make so much stuff make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We need as many bowls to find the point where Notre Dame can just miss, every year.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Mike and Mike is the magazine at the dentist that you have no interest in reading but your phone died and you having nothing else to do.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Sometimes college games don't go to commercial after a touchdown and goes right to the kickoff. I watch college football.

I'm pretty sure there's four commercial breaks between a touchdown and the other team's first down. I don't watch as much pro as I used to.

Touchdown, break, PAT, break, Kick off, break, 1st and 10?

For real though, the PAT/break/kick off/break is the worst because it's often like a touchback so you literally have like 5 seconds of quote unquote 'game' before going to commercial again.

And that's why I prefer watching College games, as dumb as it sounds. And also considering they are literally unpaid slaves it's amazing that NCAA football feels less dirty than the NFL.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

algebra testes posted:

Touchdown, break, PAT, break, Kick off, break, 1st and 10?

For real though, the PAT/break/kick off/break is the worst because it's often like a touchback so you literally have like 5 seconds of quote unquote 'game' before going to commercial again.

And that's why I prefer watching College games, as dumb as it sounds. And also considering they are literally unpaid slaves it's amazing that NCAA football feels less dirty than the NFL.

College also has legitimate punishments for illegal (read: leading with or aiming for the head) hits.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Sash! posted:

Also ever since the words "football move" happened, does anyone actually know what a catch or interception actually is?

Much like a balk in baseball, you know it when you see it.

Kickoffs suck and I guess I wouldn't be opposed to them eventually getting rid of them. Maybe a team can elect to start at the 25 without even requiring a touchback. Kickoffs can't go away though because onside kicks need to exist, and it gives special teams players a chance to shine and get a rad return. Seems like a decent amount of injuries occur during kickoffs too since you have everyone running full speed at one another.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Good Dog posted:

Much like a balk in baseball, you know it when you see it.

A balk is a real thing, though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Dog posted:

Kickoffs suck and I guess I wouldn't be opposed to them eventually getting rid of them. Maybe a team can elect to start at the 25 without even requiring a touchback. Kickoffs can't go away though because onside kicks need to exist, and it gives special teams players a chance to shine and get a rad return. Seems like a decent amount of injuries occur during kickoffs too since you have everyone running full speed at one another.

Yeah I think it should probably just be "A kick that travels beyond 20 yards is a fair catch" to stop stupid poo poo happening. That also means that there is incentive to have a good kicker who can kick the ball to the 10 yard line accurately. Same for kicking the ball on fourth down as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Only one bowl game drew less than 1,000,000 viewers

quote:

Incredibly, the only bowl game rated by Nielsen to fail to reach seven figure viewership was the Miami Beach Bowl between Tulsa and Central Michigan, which drew 794,000 viewers. It was played early in bowl season on Monday December 17th at 2:30 PM ET, which isn’t exactly a prime timeslot.

Some numbers that might surprise you? How about Ohio-Troy drawing 2.5 million viewers or Wake Forest-Temple drawing 2.1 million. Even the Belk Bowl, featuring Virginia Tech and Arkansas, drew almost 5 million viewers.

Why has ESPN been so persistent in tightening their grip on this growing bowl game empire? Even though some might say the games are meaningless… even though some of these games draw less attendance than an ECHL game… even though there might be a push to get rid of some of these games so that bowl games can truly mean something again… it won’t happen because the viewers are there regardless.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is it possible to determine how many actual people said "nice, imma watch the Belk Bowl" vs waiting rooms, bars, TVs left on, etc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sure but there's really nothing else ESPN could put on for 3 straight weeks, multiple times a day, that's going to bring in numbers that consistently.

Plus I"m pretty sure Nielsen diaries and boxes aren't going to waiting rooms and bars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Sure but there's really nothing else ESPN could put on for 3 straight weeks, multiple times a day, that's going to bring in numbers that consistently.

Plus I"m pretty sure Nielsen diaries and boxes aren't going to waiting rooms and bars.
Yeah but how much are they paying for the rights to each of these games? $1 million per?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is it possible to determine how many actual people said "nice, imma watch the Belk Bowl" vs waiting rooms, bars, TVs left on, etc

I don't think they care, as it doesn't matter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This was a good game, too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I had the bowl games on at my work except when there were Wisconsin teams playing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else feel like they want to stab their ear drums to no longer hear sound whenever CBS does a NFL game?

Worst pre game show.

Worst "MUST WATCH NETWORK TV" ads.

Worst play by play and color guys*

*Kevin Harlan is AWESOME, but even he can't save the shitfest that is the coverage CBS "provides".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else feel like they want to stab their ear drums to no longer hear sound whenever CBS does a NFL game?

Worst pre game show.

Worst "MUST WATCH NETWORK TV" ads.

Worst play by play and color guys*

*Kevin Harlan is AWESOME, but even he can't save the shitfest that is the coverage CBS "provides".

My mom haaaaaaaaates CBS coverage. Prefers Fox, even if they have Joe Buck (and she's neutral on him)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

There are two paths to this.

1) Greenberg hosts his own version of SportsCenter, which, no harm no foul

2) ESPN stoops to FS1's level and makes a show to take out their upcoming morning show

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: wrong thread

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm Joe buck's beard

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

iospace posted:

My mom haaaaaaaaates CBS coverage. Prefers Fox, even if they have Joe Buck (and she's neutral on him)

I don't hate Joe Buck like I used to, he seems to have made some progress in being less bland, plus so many of the other commentators being terrible helps. The exception is any Packers game, where he ranges from insufferable to intolerable because of how far down his throat he's got Aaron Rodger's dick. Even when Rodgers has an admittedly good game like tonight, he just goes on to the point of distraction with his praise, drives me crazy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't hate Joe Buck like I used to, he seems to have made some progress in being less bland, plus so many of the other commentators being terrible helps. The exception is any Packers game, where he ranges from insufferable to intolerable because of how far down his throat he's got Aaron Rodger's dick. Even when Rodgers has an admittedly good game like tonight, he just goes on to the point of distraction with his praise, drives me crazy.

Well tonight you had Aikman doing the Dallas homer,so a wash? :v:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

That was him during the World Series.

I went to two watch parties at Progressive Field. When they announced that it was going to be him, and not the great local guy (Tom Hamilton) calling the game on the video screen? A chorus of loud boos rang out. When his face showed up on the screen? Same thing happened. He was even used at Cavs game to get people to boo during free throws.

It wasn't like the Cubs being in the World Series WASN'T a big story. It clearly was, anyone with half a brain could tell you that. But the way he tried to embellish on something that was already The Max Schwerzer discussions he would have during the game bordered on creepy and masturbatory. You could tell he was trying to create a "KIRK GIBSON IN THE 88 WORLD SERIES" type of thing out of thin air.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

iospace posted:

Well tonight you had Aikman doing the Dallas homer,so a wash? :v:

I don't know what it is that irritates me so much (besides the being a Vikings fan and all), usually homerism doesn't get to me, but I heard it mentioned earlier in the season, and damned
if it's not all I hear now. So probably confirmation bias, but whatever.

FuzzySkinner posted:

That was him during the World Series.

I went to two watch parties at Progressive Field. When they announced that it was going to be him, and not the great local guy (Tom Hamilton) calling the game on the video screen? A chorus of loud boos rang out. When his face showed up on the screen? Same thing happened. He was even used at Cavs game to get people to boo during free throws.

It wasn't like the Cubs being in the World Series WASN'T a big story. It clearly was, anyone with half a brain could tell you that. But the way he tried to embellish on something that was already The Max Schwerzer discussions he would have during the game bordered on creepy and masturbatory. You could tell he was trying to create a "KIRK GIBSON IN THE 88 WORLD SERIES" type of thing out of thin air.

That's interesting, I figured it was just him being a big fan, but maybe it's a stylistic choice, trying to make his mark with a memorable narrative/call or something? I can't blame a guy too much for having a gimmick, god knows I'd run out of poo poo to say while filling time between plays after a few years, but I'm also both uncreative and not employed as an announcer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Honestly at times I'm trying to figure out who's worse at calling games.

Nantz/Simms or Buck/Aikman.

It's really sad considering how GOOD the past pairings to call football were.

Pat Summerall and John Madden doing the NFC for CBS/FOX was incredibly good. People will be critical of Summerall, but he did do an excellent job playing the straight man for Madden. I also realize people will also be critical of John Madden for going :allears: over Farve, but it just felt more so like he was having a blast watching the games when he was in the booth.

You also had Dick Enberg paired with either Merlin Olsen or Don Trumpy for the AFC. Trumpy was a bit of a "grouch", but he seemed to actually do a good job calling the games.

You went from that...to...well, what we're seeing now.

Also the pregame shows just feel atrocious now. When they first aired back in the day? They were kinda designed to inform fans about various players in the league, report about that weeks matchups, and pretty much help people gamble.

Now? It's just a chucklefest featuring washed up players and coaches. What...as a fan are you getting out of seeing Bill Cowher ribbing Bart Scott about the Steelers-Ravens games?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

joshtothemaxx posted:

NBC Sports showing Premiership Rugby has been amazing and I hope they keep it up.

They need to show the good rugby, I want NBCSN2 so NRL and English Rugby League poo poo can play at 3AM.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Buck has definitely improved and gotten more self-aware, which is really good to see.

Regarding the World Series, I don't think it would have mattered who called it for Fox, even if Cleveland swept the Cubs in dominant fashion, 98% of the coverage would have been mastabatory bullshit over the terrible tragedy of the Cubs losing. The Cubs were the story for everything. Cleveland was just... there.

Now that's understandable to an extent too, I think Cleveland was second to last in the entire league in attendance despite leading their division basically all year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Buck has definitely improved and gotten more self-aware, which is really good to see.

Regarding the World Series, I don't think it would have mattered who called it for Fox, even if Cleveland swept the Cubs in dominant fashion, 98% of the coverage would have been mastabatory bullshit over the terrible tragedy of the Cubs losing. The Cubs were the story for everything. Cleveland was just... there.

Now that's understandable to an extent too, I think Cleveland was second to last in the entire league in attendance despite leading their division basically all year.

As to your first part: His twitter account says, "I love all teams EXCEPT yours." He's definitely self-aware. As for the second, completely agreed.

Also, from a customer of mine: his interview show apparently is actually good. Said customer hates Buck's announcing, but when it comes to interviews, the guy is top notch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah he's a great interview. It seems like he's gotten a lot more relaxed in the last few years.

I can't help but wonder if part of it is that he's just getting clear of his dad's shadow. Jack Buck was a titan in broadcasting and I'm sure that can't be easy to live up to. I do enjoy him echoing his dad's "We will see you tomorrow night!" call too :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also: underrated announcer: Brian Anderson. To me, the moment he went from "I'm fine with him" to "I like him" was when he was announcing Badgers/Notre Dame last year at the NCAA Tourney. For those who aren't familiar with Anderson, he's the play-by-blay for the Brewers. He managed to stay neutral, at least in my opinion, for a game involving a team from the same state he does his main work for, and that got my respect big time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Funny you mention buck, I just received my Did You Know Jon Lester Doesn't Throw To First pamphlet that he's mailed t o all Americans to spread awareness

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Funny you mention buck, I just received my Did You Know Jon Lester Doesn't Throw To First pamphlet that he's mailed t o all Americans to spread awareness

I choose to believe stuff like this becomes a running joke among broadcasters. DID YOU KNOW JIMMY GRAHAM PLAYED COLLEGE BASKETBALL???

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Alain Post posted:

They need to show the good rugby, I want NBCSN2 so NRL and English Rugby League poo poo can play at 3AM.

Hell, NBCSN is showing infomercials at 3AM.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

The Tribes attendance woes prior to that run were an unusual one.

The fanbase exists, it's strong, it's there. It just was very shy about supporting the team because they didn't exactly trust the ownership to spend money on talent to keep this team going good. We do indeed have a strong fanbase, one that's loyal, etc. Just feels like fans are a little gun shy after seeing what Shapiro and the Dolans did to the 90's Super team.

Now? Shapio is gone and doing the same thing to Toronto. The Dolans are in fact willing to spend money on talent, and the entire city is jacked for them.

Now in regards to the Cubs WS? Yes, that was the story fro a national perspective.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeha I definitely understand the fanbase's reluctance to go to games, but it was getting downright silly at times. No doubt the owners were (are?) cheap as hell, but man there were teams actively tanking the season that were better draws and that was sad to see.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I heard a few weeks ago that Todd Kalas was going to be the Houston PBP. I hope he does well, he was awesome as our man on the field reporter. He wasn't that great when he filled in for PBP, but I think being PBP full time will help him develop. Plus I really like drunken rear end Staats, so just about anything would be a downgrade. He also filled in for the Lightning PA a time or two along with doing the ice level reporting there. So Houston's getting someone very versatile.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yesterday's NFL divisional games did massive numbers

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So I noticed yesterday that CBS only had one Divisional game, FOX had two and NBC one, while FOX has the Superbowl, and each network got one Wildcard game. I assume that next year CBS or NBC will get two divisional games while the other networks get one each?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So I noticed yesterday that CBS only had one Divisional game, FOX had two and NBC one, while FOX has the Superbowl, and each network got one Wildcard game. I assume that next year CBS or NBC will get two divisional games while the other networks get one each?

Honestly I'm surprised CBS didn't get two divisional games and Fox one given Fox has the SB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The way it's been ever since the new contracts started a couple of years ago is NBC alternates between AFC and NFC divisional games.